Gerber vs Benchmade

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which is better?

Gerber
28%
Benchmade
73%

Total votes: 40

canuck

Gerber vs Benchmade

Post by canuck » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:51 am

Y'all know this is a big question. I'm concerned MAINLY with the Nimravus combo vs the LMF II ASEK. Both really comparable, both amazing. Does anyone own both? Let the convo begin.
If you're not using your head, forget about survival.
czechnology wrote:Wait a minute... someone wrote a book about how to survive zombie attacks?? WE SHOULD START A FORUM ONLINE ABOUT THAT!
tireiron wrote:I would eat my own brain.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:41 am

The Best gerber folders are about as nice as the cheapest Benchmade folders, IMO. I love my Benchmade knives but I'm too much of a pansy to bang them up as EDC knives.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

G_Cordial

Post by G_Cordial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:55 am

Gerber simply because they cover ALL bases of bladed survival tools with a compromise between quality and price: Entrenching tools, fixed blade knives, machetes, hatchets, tomahawks, folder knives, hunting, combat, military, multi-tools... Etc.

Hell, they even have hydration packs and lights of various sizes and uses.

You CAN'T go wrong with Gerber.

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:10 am

Of the two you are interested in, I'd personally opt for the Benchmade as I have a much higher opinion of their products. Gerber is okay, and makes adequate if generally unspectacular knives. Benchmade is an excellent company and the vast majority of their products are top notch. I've been carrying the same Benchmade Eclipse as an EDC knife for over ten years, and it's still going strong. FWIW, I can honestly say that I will never buy another Gerber knife and I will definitely buy more Benchmade knives.

The Gerber LMF is a solidly built knife (that's probably an understatement) and I'm sure it will handle use and abuse pretty well, though. The Gerber is also available for around $60, so if money is an issue you should probably opt for the Gerber. If you know of a place where the Nimravus is available for that price, please let me know. :)
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

mr.trooper

Re: Gerber vs Benchmade

Post by mr.trooper » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 am

canuck wrote:Y'all know this is a big question. I'm concerned MAINLY with the Nimravus combo vs the LMF II ASEK. Both really comparable, both amazing. Does anyone own both? Let the convo begin.
Dude, the Nimvarus is head and shoulders above the LMFII. For starters either 154CM or the D2 Nimvarus will have better edge retention than the Gerbers Sandvic steel.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

g30ff

Post by g30ff » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Gerber may do everything, but Benchmade does what it does--knives--very well. Benchmade wins this one hands down whether you're just looking at the Nimravus vs. the LMF or whether you're comparing them across their entire product line.

My only complaint with Benchmade is that it can be hard to find a distributor in Canada, and finding a good price on their knives is harder still. Then again, maybe that's more of a complaint about Canada :)

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:34 pm

For what i know about the two knives being compared, yeah, the Benchmade is the knife Id want if I was dropped into the shit.

However, for me, Gerber wins out for just about all other categories. Like previously stated, they carry all kinds of tools, not just knives, to for the same dollars I would spend on an excellent Benchmade knife, I could get an adequate Gerber, plus a multitool. Plus their customer service is top notch, though admittantly Ive had no personal experience with Benchmade's.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 pm

I love gerber but they are no benchmade.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

mbf2k

Post by mbf2k » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:04 pm

I own the LMF-II, I love it. I know nothing about benchmade, but I doubt seriously that if you bought the LMF, one day you would say "Damn, I should have bought the Benchmade." Just get the Gerber, it won't disappoint you, I promise. If it does, I'll buy it from you.
- MBF2k

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:48 am

canuck wrote:Y'all know this is a big question. I'm concerned MAINLY with the Nimravus combo vs the LMF II ASEK. Both really comparable, both amazing. Does anyone own both? Let the convo begin.
WAIT !!!

Something just occurred to me. the LMF and the Nimvarus are different designes.

while the Nimvarus may be better quality, its also more expensive and a less utilitarian design than the LMF.

What if we take a look at THIS! I know the website says its $70 but they sell them at Walmart for $35. Its a MUCH closer match to the LMF as far as design, and its a very durable knife; you cant tell from the pics, but its got a 1/4" spine and its actually got quite a bit of heft behind it.
mbf2k wrote:I own the LMF-II, I love it. I know nothing about benchmade, but I doubt seriously that if you bought the LMF, one day you would say "Damn, I should have bought the Benchmade." Just get the Gerber, it won't disappoint you, I promise. If it does, I'll buy it from you.
Dude...just stop while your behind. The LMF is a good knife, but if you don't know anything about benchmade, do go around saying they arn't worth it. Iv got a few gerber knives, and my friends own gerber knives. I also own folders and fixed blades from Benchmade.

BM products are CONSISTENTLY made from thicker stock of higher quality steel, have handles made from more durable materials, and the fit and finish of those parts is much tighter. no little cracks for light to peek through, no unpolished surfaces, even the heads of the screws are perfectly formed. True they cost a couple times more, but Gerber doesn't make anything that rivals Benchmades quality.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

BHP

Post by BHP » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:11 am

Ease up Trooper, he never said the Benchmade wasn't worth it. What he said, as I read it, is that you probably wouldn't be disapointed with the Gerber. Nice call on the Buck however.

I have both Benchmade and Gerber and I have been very pleased with both. Benchmade is a bit better overall but I have long thought Gerber made some of the best knives for the money. I have an old Bolt Action Hunter (first production run) from Gerber that I carried for better than 15 years.

Cost effectiveness is also an issue. While I prefer Benchmade, if I were just starting out in buying my gear I would be very happy with Gerber quality. In fact I am interested in their concertina wire cutter for my collection of tools.

mr. right-wing

Post by mr. right-wing » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:44 am

Benchmade, no cntest. Gerber makes good knives, but nowhere near what they used to. Benchmade is what I carry, and they never dissapoint
R.I.P HK33K

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:28 pm

BHP wrote:Ease up Trooper, he never said the Benchmade wasn't worth it. What he said, as I read it, is that you probably wouldn't be disapointed with the Gerber. Nice call on the Buck however.

I have both Benchmade and Gerber and I have been very pleased with both. Benchmade is a bit better overall but I have long thought Gerber made some of the best knives for the money. I have an old Bolt Action Hunter (first production run) from Gerber that I carried for better than 15 years.

Cost effectiveness is also an issue. While I prefer Benchmade, if I were just starting out in buying my gear I would be very happy with Gerber quality. In fact I am interested in their concertina wire cutter for my collection of tools.
Id be dissapointed with the Gerber because the LMF has WAY to much serrations. If they made a full fine edge model id porobably buy 3. Its the only problem i have with the short nighthawk, but for $35 I cant complain.

Gerber knives work. They hold up to use and they dont malfuntion. I dont know if i would go so far as to say they are the best bang for your buck though. Its two top shelf options, the LFM and the Silver Trident can be easily matched elsewhere.

Have you looked at the Gerber Prodigy? Its basicaly the same thing as the LMF but the handle is a big shorter and the overall weight is less. its also 1/2 the price.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Da Law

Post by Da Law » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:35 am

I have product from both companies. Both are very well made and durable. Gerber is a great value for the money. Benchmade is what you get if you demand only the very best and are willing to pay the extra cash for it.
R.I.P. Gary Buro Patrol Unit 124 Chesterfield County Police Department.
End tour of duty 05/04/2006 0120 hrs.

dirtygrunt04

Post by dirtygrunt04 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:53 am

The mid-range price of Gerber's knives are nice blades. Although not the highest quality steel they are often easy to sharpen and stand up to hard use
fairly well. I have had several gerbers in the range of $40 - $80 and all have met my expectations as to what I expected out of them. I've had the Prodigy, still do somewhere in my garage, great camping/bush-crafting knife. I have one mid-range Benchmade auto folder, and I can attest to Benchmade's customer service as I recently took my knife in for maintenance and received it back with new parts and a factory sharpening. As a tool company I like gerber's products from multi tools to hatchets and fixed blade knives. The great thing about benchmade is that all of their products are manufactured here in the U.S. and they use quality steels for their blades. The nimravus is a tactical knife, while the LMF II is considered a tactical knife, it is more of a survival knife as it is quite thick and was developed to aid air craft crew in case they need to cut their way through a fuselage without electrocuting themselves.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:14 am

dirtygrunt04 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:53 am
The mid-range price of Gerber's knives are nice blades. Although not the highest quality steel they are often easy to sharpen and stand up to hard use
fairly well. I have had several gerbers in the range of $40 - $80 and all have met my expectations as to what I expected out of them. I've had the Prodigy, still do somewhere in my garage, great camping/bush-crafting knife. I have one mid-range Benchmade auto folder, and I can attest to Benchmade's customer service as I recently took my knife in for maintenance and received it back with new parts and a factory sharpening. As a tool company I like gerber's products from multi tools to hatchets and fixed blade knives. The great thing about benchmade is that all of their products are manufactured here in the U.S. and they use quality steels for their blades. The nimravus is a tactical knife, while the LMF II is considered a tactical knife, it is more of a survival knife as it is quite thick and was developed to aid air craft crew in case they need to cut their way through a fuselage without electrocuting themselves.
Almost 12 years. That's got to be a new systemwide record for a necro'd thread. Congratulations :clap:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:10 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:14 am
dirtygrunt04 wrote:
Almost 12 years. That's got to be a new systemwide record for a necro'd thread. Congratulations :clap:
I beg to differ. Last year or the year before , when a bunch of old threads were being necro'd . I went back and necro'd one of the very first threads from 2004. Just cause :clownshoes:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:12 am

flybynight wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:10 am
NT2C wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:14 am
dirtygrunt04 wrote:
I beg to differ. Last year or the year before , when a bunch of old threads were being necro'd . I went back and necro'd one of the very first threads from 2004. Just cause :clownshoes:
I stand corrected. We'll call this one the record for a first post necro, how about that?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:57 am

Reckless or negligent necros trump deliberate ones. Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:21 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:57 am
Reckless or negligent necros trump deliberate ones. Image
OH YEA ? Well.. Oh Yea ?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “Other Weapons”