Multiple Bomb Threats in my AO

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fr33M@s0n

Post by Fr33M@s0n » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Well we're on high alert here in east central North Dakota. There has been four threats made within the past week between Grand Forks and Fargo. 1) Grand Forks International Airport, 2) North Dakota State University, Fargo, 3) Hector/Fargo International Airport, 4) Radisson Hotel downtown Fargo.

One side of me is saying this is a sick joke, but another side of me is worried. My campus has upped their security, informed students of the emergency procedures, and assured us that we are safe. I guess I am just curious to see what is going to happen this upcoming school week.

Any input on this situation? Advice?

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/15080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/68899/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: At work last night they reviewed our evacuation procedures and gave them to all the employees. I'm glad people are taking this seriously, but it doesn't add much consolation to the situations..

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Re: Multiple Bomb Threats in my AO

Post by Tribunal Power » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Are you in any position, professionally or otherwise, in which you think you might encounter a bomb?

I work security for the IRS in a mail processing facility, and bomb threats is something we train a lot for. If you're in a place where you think you might have to deal with a threat call, keep him talking to get as much info as possible and write everything down, preferably having someone nearby calling the police to relay information.

If you're just concerned about being blown up, well... The only thing you can do is be observant and cautious. If you see something suspicious-- an unattended bag, or especially an unattended package-- don't touch anything, and take pictures with your brain (or camera phone if you think it's necessary). Most importantly, report, report, report. Even if you're worried about sounding like a dufis for reporting a box. Stupid little whiney pointless reports can end up saving lives.

Realistically, though, there isn't too much you can do about it on a personal level, but I would advise you to get active about the precautions surrounding daily life with or without bomb threats nearby. If you're already doing that, you're probably good to go.

Fr33M@s0n

Post by Fr33M@s0n » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:58 pm

I used to work for the University and we were trained on what to do, but now I just work for Target doing overnights. Probably not too big of a threat there. This kind of thing just puts you on edge..

jare-3
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Fr33M@s0n wrote:Well we're on high alert here in east central North Dakota. There has been four threats made within the past week between Grand Forks and Fargo. 1) Grand Forks International Airport, 2) North Dakota State University, Fargo, 3) Hector/Fargo International Airport, 4) Radisson Hotel downtown Fargo.

One side of me is saying this is a sick joke, but another side of me is worried. My campus has upped their security, informed students of the emergency procedures, and assured us that we are safe. I guess I am just curious to see what is going to happen this upcoming school week.

Any input on this situation? Advice?

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/15080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/68899/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: At work last night they reviewed our evacuation procedures and gave them to all the employees. I'm glad people are taking this seriously, but it doesn't add much consolation to the situations..
Two Words: "Sick Day"
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!

No eating/drinking/snorting the Bath Salts! - jonm61 (WaltherForums)

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:25 pm

My advice FWIW is dont panic, instead get on with your normal life, but stay vigilant at a sustainable level.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Konnan
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by Konnan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I would say the same as above stay vigilant...go on about your normal daily business...but I would add stay in close contact with your Brothers watch out for one another and if something was to happen they may be the light at the end of the tunnel ....so to speak 8-)
ZS Member Name : Bull
It's a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes, Now, potatoes and duct tape and you may have a chance!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 pm

I guess the good news is that most bomb threats are hoaxes. The are phoned in for a wide variety of reasons including boredom. So you can be comfortable that in all likelihood it is a false alarm.

I have been on the receiving side of a bomb threat. Even though I knew it was BS, I had no choice but to order an evacuation and call the police. I knew it was just some moron but I just could not take the risk. :?

The bad news is that most of the actual bombings (the real ones that explode) do not have threats phoned in to warn. The bombers did not want the risk of getting caught.

I hope you catch the culprit.

IronManT28
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IronManT28 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:58 am

If there was gonna be a bomb set off there would be no threat. The real world is not like the movies. Look at history.
666th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company
"Masters of the Beast"

Aeacus

Post by Aeacus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:28 pm

IronManT28 wrote:If there was gonna be a bomb set off there would be no threat. The real world is not like the movies. Look at history.
There are/were a couple exceptions to this, political terrorists (the IRA and basque separatists) used to call in bomb threats/warnings to get their targets evacuated and cause panics. They weren't as interested in killing people as causing property damage and panic. That thought process maybe lost to history now but my wife grew up in the UK and I've heard plenty of stories.

Nothing that really applies to North America but it did pop to mind as I was reading.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 pm

There is a difference between a hoax call, a hoax call with a suspect (but hoax) device and then a bomb warning alerting the police to an actual viable device. I've been evacuated out of places due to all three of the above and at the time couldn't tell which circumstance it was, you don't take any chances.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:12 pm

I was going to tell you to take a look at local stats for this kind of violent crime.

This type of violent crime is tracked in real time, but seems that data is no longer released to the general public. The BATS (bomb & arson tracking system) database is agency only - a shame that real crime stats are not readily available. Perhaps your state or county trusts you enough to see the data...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 am

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 am

IronManT28 wrote:If there was gonna be a bomb set off there would be no threat. The real world is not like the movies. Look at history.
Ummm I can't remember the exception to this... Or where I read it. (I think it was the newspaper.) A bomb threat was called in once, by someone that knew where that building would evacuate too, and they set the bomb at the evac loc to maximize the casualties of those that were in that building...

All it takes is a "Sick Ticket", problem is the "Sick Tickets" can tend to be smarter then we would like them to be.

"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Most times it seems like bomb threats are just that, threats.

The vast majority of the time it turns out to be nothing. Can't be disregarded though as that'll be the one time that there actually is a bomb.

For instance we lived in Germany when I was a kid for almost four years in the 80's and one time my grandmother came for a visit. Pretty much the whole week there had been various bomb threats, but they all turned out to be false. After an almost week long visit we dropped her off at the Frankfurt airport. My stepfather had to work so we couldn't wait with her, had to leave. At any rate it turns out that she had left her ticket at our house and for a little bit it didn't look like they were going to let her board, but once they checked on their computer her name came and so they re-issued her a ticket. Anyway they boarded and took off and after about 20 mins of being in the air the pilot got on the speaker and told the passengers that a bomb had just exploded at the Lufthansa ticket counter.

It was this one...

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archi ... hildr.html

If they hadn't let her board the plane she would have been sitting just feet from where the bomb was planted.

This was in the days before cell phones, once we heard about it on the radio we went back to the airport but we couldn't find anything out. I think it was the next day before we found out that she was okay. The Red Army Faction ended up taking credit/responsibility for it. Have no idea why they bombed that particular ticket counter. Maybe it was because they figured that a bunch of Americans would be there since there was that flight to Los Angeles.

In our family that became 'the day grandma almost got blown up'. Wouldn't have been so funny if she actually had been blown up though.

At any rate you never can tell. Usually it's just bullshit, but every once in awhile there really is a bomb.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Return to “Survival Experiences”