Weirdest EDC items you've seen

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Weirdest EDC items you've seen

Post by spyderco monkey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 pm

So, truthfully most people would look at the contents of my pockets, and think I'm pretty weird. But, sometimes I see stuff that other people are carrying, and I'm blown away and the novelty/absurdity/insanity of it.

Here are a few examples:

Craziest EDC thing I've seen in person:
In college, a friend of a friend who fancied himself a tough cookie had, and this is no exaggeration, an EDC Tire Iron. It was about 12" long, chrome, with a 30 degree bend and a thick rubber handle. He carried it in a sort of swashbuckling appendix carry, IWB, at pretty much any party he attended. Seeing him on the dance floor was, special to say the least.

Craziest EDC thing I've seen on the internet:
There are a bunch, but the two that stand out are a guy with a cellphone jammer and .22 pen gun over on USN forum, and a ZS member here with a straight up Batman EDC belt.

Most unique thing I've seen in person:
Playing pool in an LA sports bar, my opponent had an EDC pool chalk. It was a blue chalk, affixed to a short length of twine about 2" long, on what appeared to be a 4" ivory kubaton. I was pumped.

What are some of the odd EDC items you've scene?
“Few will understand me, but I write for the connoisseurs, trusting that they will not be offended by the confidence of my opinions.” Field Marshal Maurice Comte de Saxe, My Reveries, 1732

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mrbeefy
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of 'em :-)

Re: Weirdest EDC items you've seen

Post by Mrbeefy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I've EDC'd a folder since I was knee high to a duck but I've seen one folder that really caught my eye. The man was a professional chef qnd EDC'd an oyster shcuking knife ! He loved oysters that much I guess. :o
Wolfhvnter wrote: RAZORD SHARP SNAKE MEAT LASER!!?!?!?!!

Girthquake

Post by Girthquake » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:38 pm

I had a friend in high school who was just outright insane. He was short and pudgy, but no one would dare fuck with him because he was so damn insane. Part of the reason was no one would fuck with him was a would EDC a CLAW HAMMER up his sleeve. I don't know how but he rigged it up to just stay there until he needed it and he would just start swinging the thing. Needless to say he's spent a lot of time in mental institutions since high school.

Perkidanman

Post by Perkidanman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Mustard and Tobasco.

When I was in the military one of the guys I worked with always carried one of those little tabasco bottles that came in the MRE and take-out packets of mustard. Because of his high blood pressure he couldn't have salt so those where substitutes I suppose.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:31 pm

I knew a chick that carried a dog in her purse, everywhere... It was a tiny little Yorkie and it went literally everywhere with her...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:01 am

Dawgboy wrote:I knew a chick that carried a dog in her purse, everywhere... It was a tiny little Yorkie and it went literally everywhere with her...
I prefer oatmeal bars. You don't need to waste time butchering, building a fire, etc.

The problem with this thread is that our "weird" edc doesn't seem wierd to the people like us that carry it. Some may think it strange that I've kept a can opener on my keychain for forty years now, but I'm sure everyone here is aware of the versatility of the P-38, and finds my behaviour perfectly normal.
Girthquake wrote:I had a friend in high school who was just outright insane. He was short and pudgy, but no one would dare fuck with him because he was so damn insane. Part of the reason was no one would fuck with him was a would EDC a CLAW HAMMER up his sleeve. I don't know how but he rigged it up to just stay there until he needed it and he would just start swinging the thing. Needless to say he's spent a lot of time in mental institutions since high school.
Maybe I shouldn't mention that I sometimes edc my hammer too.

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:13 am

Look at bikers these guys carry some weird stuff, they know the laws very well so they are able to carry some very strange weapons that there are no laws against.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Dawgboy wrote:I knew a chick that carried a dog in her purse, everywhere... It was a tiny little Yorkie and it went literally everywhere with her...
Sort of reminds me of an old joke.

What does a rothweiler call a chihuahua?

Snacks!
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

VinnieD

Post by VinnieD » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Here in Mississippi there are a lot of Cajuns who came here after Katrina. I have found it not uncommon that they carry a bottle of tobasco as EDC.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:23 am

A guy I know that works with a lot of "multiple personality" type people carries a sock puppet. He says they won't often talk to the guy with the coat, but they'll talk to the sock puppet 8-) .
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Daddy Warcrimes
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Daddy Warcrimes » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:40 am

Some of the sillier things I've carried:
8" crowbar wrapped in parachute chord. It was handy at times, but not really enough to justify it.
A finishing nail. Because you never know when you'll need to adjust a M16 front sight post.
Duct tape spooled on a pen. Actually quite a common practice in my old battalion.
Ear plugs. This was actually mandatory for most soldiers back in the BDU days.
"and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:02 am

I used to be a custom electronic installation tech, and carried a 7/16 wrench on my key chain. It saved my hide more times than I can count when I would be in some god awful position, wedged/craweled up under some clients elctronic equipment and I had to remove a coaxel cable that was overtightned. Reach down and grab my keys and hoo-rah, a 7/16" wrench. It still hangs there today out of habit even though I haven't needed it in 6 years.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 am

Craziest EDC thing I've seen in person: The Army issued us folding shovels, but one of the guys in my platoon had a small folding hand shovel (it looked like a garden trowl), said he liked it better than the shovel. Seemed like extra weight to me. Then again I carried a church key bottle opener for those just incase moments.

Most unique thing I've seen in person: A guy I know used to carry a length of motorcycle chain about four foot long with treble fish hooks attached to the top few feet, he also had a length of leather strips that was woven together, that had glass beads or marbles woven into it. The one with beads was used to break windows and the one with fish hooks was used as a personal defense weapon.

I decided to look up that hand shovel and this is what I found:

U-Dig-It Stainless-Steel Hand Shovel

http://www.rei.com/product/407009/u-dig ... and-shovel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rei.com/product/758042/sea-t ... ket-trowel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

GenBurnside
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead ('78)

Post by GenBurnside » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 am

I keep travel chopsticks in my Maxpedition pocket organizer, which most people would probably find bizarre. I use them 3-4 times a week, too.

What can I say... I really like eating with chopsticks!

Pokkers_idyll

Post by Pokkers_idyll » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 am

Bath towel and travel guide...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 am

I used to work with a fella that kept bottles of ' personal lubricant' in his front and back pockets. I always figured that as a graveyard shift armed guard he was using it to 'stay awake'. We used to rib him fairly regularly about it, until one night he supposedly was assaulted and cuffed with his own cuffs. I am not sure how but he supposedly used his 'lubricant' to slip the cuff and call in PD.

Other than that I used to date a stripper who would EDC a 22" dong, her reasoning was that it was more effective than a ASP because " who the hell wants to get slapped with a bright pink 22" pecker, especially if they don't know where its been?" :shock:
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

BlueSilkRibbon
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Walking Dead
Location: Pocono Mountains, North Eastern Pennsylvania (NePa),

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 am

Jsimmonsgr wrote: Other than that I used to date a stripper who would EDC a 22" dong, her reasoning was that it was more effective than a ASP because " who the hell wants to get slapped with a bright pink 22" pecker, especially if they don't know where its been?" :shock:
Simply brilliant.
Zombie Patrol: It's like neighborhood watch...with Zombies.
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

deadcat7382

Post by deadcat7382 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 am

Pokkers_idyll wrote:Bath towel and travel guide...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Hitchhikers guide?
"Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

"I've got two guns...
One for each of ya."

phractal

Post by phractal » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 am

I went to high school with a dude what always carried a full sized wooden baseball bat in his trench coat. The thing had a carriage bolt in the butt of it, supposedly for balance and breaking windows. He carried that thing everywhere and no one noticed it under his trench.

It's not uncommon for me to empty my pockets at the end of the day and dump out 3 Bic lighters. Gotta have a spare for my spare, ya know.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Jsimmonsgr wrote: Other than that I used to date a stripper who would EDC a 22" dong, her reasoning was that it was more effective than a ASP because " who the hell wants to get slapped with a bright pink 22" pecker, especially if they don't know where its been?" :shock:
What's her phone number......... :mrgreen:
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 pm

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:
Simply brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnmDFMrB ... re=related
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Mrbeefy
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of 'em :-)

Post by Mrbeefy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:35 pm

NIce video, probably the funniest fight I've ever seen LMFAO.

This one is a little more on the serious side of dildo fighting!

http://youtu.be/3PFxZ2K--AU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wolfhvnter wrote: RAZORD SHARP SNAKE MEAT LASER!!?!?!?!!

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:51 pm

cbr900 wrote:Look at bikers these guys carry some weird stuff, they know the laws very well so they are able to carry some very strange weapons that there are no laws against.

True. Many carry a padlock on the chain as a weapon.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Jsimmonsgr wrote:I used to work with a fella that kept bottles of ' personal lubricant' in his front and back pockets. I always figured that as a graveyard shift armed guard he was using it to 'stay awake'. We used to rib him fairly regularly about it, until one night he supposedly was assaulted and cuffed with his own cuffs. I am not sure how but he supposedly used his 'lubricant' to slip the cuff and call in PD.

Other than that I used to date a stripper who would EDC a 22" dong, her reasoning was that it was more effective than a ASP because " who the hell wants to get slapped with a bright pink 22" pecker, especially if they don't know where its been?" :shock:
Do you have any pictures of her? :awesome:

Edited because of a typo.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Return to “Survival Experiences”