UPDATE (PICS) I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vel454

Re: I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Post by Vel454 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Rev wrote:Just to wander in here, a .22 from a rifle is a different animal than one from a pocket pistol.
Very true.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Rev wrote:Just to wander in here, a .22 from a rifle is a different animal than one from a pocket pistol.
He was shot at about 150 yards though with a rifle. I haven't got ballistic charts in front of me but how does that compare to a 10 yard shot with a pistol (a not unreasonable pistol self defense range)? It doesn't even have to be that short a barrel on the 'pocket pistol', to be fair the barrel length (to give a little bit more velocity) should be the same as people who carry more regular pistol choices (9mm and up etc...).
I did some googling but realised it would take a long time, found this though:

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder ... istol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where it doesn't sound unreasonable that you can get enough velocity out of the pistol close in, to be similar to the rifle at 150 yards.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:14 am

I wasn't actually making any connection between my experience and the general statement I made about getting shot with a .22 pistol. I could of just as easily mentioned a little .25 ACP or any other round considered by most to be "too weak", but .22 was on the mind so that's what I went with. I said "very true" because he was absolutely right, though it was a bit off-subject from the point I was trying to make - that any firearm caliber, can make an attacker have a crappy day. A single-shot .22 short, snub-nosed pistol is better than nothing, even if it's just a dainty little "pop" before fisticuffs. :mrgreen:
Aut vincere aut mori...

saratonin

Post by saratonin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:34 am

Wow now that is scary!

Glad you are alright after that experience! Thank you very much for taking the time to do a write up about it.

- Sara

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 am

Wow.... Just wow. I am so sorry to hear you and your family had to experience this.

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Will post a photo - Measure from your wound to your xiphoid process (where your left and right ribs meet at the base of the sternum) - That will tell me his range with a 10-22 and .22LR ammo.

Assuming 30", he was aiming center mass at a range of 175 yards with a BZ0 set at 75yds (standard for a scoped .22LR).
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

byron

I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Post by byron » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Wow, what a experience! How did your kids react? It seems that you had a calm head about you, did your wife and dad? I am glad you came out of it alive!

Night Fox
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead remake, Diary of the dead

Post by Night Fox » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:22 am

Dont know if you or anyone is interested but if you have an i phone you can download a couple of free police scanners on it for the U.S.A but need an internet onnection or better yet if your wanting to know whats going on in your local area go to http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for online police scanners.

Glad you and your family walked away from this ok man you got lucky. Very lucky

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 am

How's the leg these days? How has your family been handling the "WTF?!?" of it all now that some time has passed? Have you gotten any new info on the shooter?

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:41 am

Red Tamarillo wrote:
Vel454 wrote:
Red Tamarillo wrote:The one thing that struck me though- am I reading it right that when you're back at your house there's no weapons aimed at the door? Your wife on the lookout in your first post?
My wife kept a visual lookout while also trying to continue aiding my leg, and communicate with my dad in the other room. However, as said earlier, we live in Idaho, and had came back to my dad's house (here) a few weeks prior to help him get ready to sell his house. There was no firearms at the residence at that time. Everything of mine was left in the gunsafe at home. I normally have an old .380 Makarov with me, but decided to leave it at home due to not having any CPL in Oregon (where we were driving through) or now in WA and didn't want any possible complications if we got pulled over or anything while away from home. I also assumed I wouldn't need it in the quiet and 'safe' area I grew up in.
Ah, that makes sense. As I briefly hit your name and saw you had been talking about the .380 and ?shotgun in other posts, and it didn't make sense. I guess this illustrates (again) how it would be good to have more friends and relatives on the same page (which isn't the reality for most of us), so if you were visiting ...
I just did a brief google and found this:

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=22127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Much easier with longarms, but still complicated.

Your post links a map that gives general reciprocity of each state but this site has a map that is specific for each state and also allows you to research laws for concealed carry in any state your going to be traveling through. You can print out the laws and take them on your trip. Handy as a reference and could even confirm to law enforcment that your legal to carry in their state.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on your state to see what states honour your ccw license and click on a state to reseach ccw laws for that state.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:09 pm

maldon007 wrote: Cop- "Are you military?"
You- "No, Zombie Squad."
Cop- " :oh: "
That would have been awesome! :)
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Night Fox wrote:Dont know if you or anyone is interested but if you have an i phone you can download a couple of free police scanners on it for the U.S.A but need an internet onnection or better yet if your wanting to know whats going on in your local area go to http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for online police scanners.

Glad you and your family walked away from this ok man you got lucky. Very lucky
This app is also available for Androids.

EVEREADY

Post by EVEREADY » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:53 pm

WOW! Amazing, so glad you and the fam are ok!

Vel454

Re: UPDATE (PICS) I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Post by Vel454 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty much back to normal minus a little issue with stairs and the like. My oldest still talks about it a lot which is still a concern, but it seems to be less and less of a topic with him, so I think all will be fine. :)

Updated my original post with pics of leg, location, etc.
Aut vincere aut mori...

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 am

Wow, I guess its shooter friendly country, you never stop to think about where people could be hiding.
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 am

T-Boon wrote:Wow, I guess its shooter friendly country, you never stop to think about where people could be hiding.
I do now.
Aut vincere aut mori...

Return to “Survival Experiences”