UPDATE (PICS) I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vel454

UPDATE (PICS) I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Post by Vel454 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:04 pm

A news link to the story: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/art ... 835298.php

Well, Sunday afternoon a 60 year old, ex-military gentlemen with a history of mental issues decided to start a conflict. I was in the backyard with my wife and two kids (3 and 1 years old) at my father's house (we recently moved to Boise, and have just returned to help him get ready to sell the place.) I was using a weedeater while my kids were helping my wife pull some weeds. I heard a few popping sounds, and turned to look around (had my back to the wife and kids) and seen the kids had some toys and a little garden implement and assumed they were hitting the house or something and went back to work. A couple short moments later, I heard it again, shut off the weedeater and went over to my wife. She heard it too, and said she thought it was coming from right at the bottom of the small 20' hill my dad's house is perched on where the old logging road my dad's house is located on, meets up with the rural paved road. The wife and kids went inside, and I peeked over the hill to see if I could see anything (the hill is heavily wooded, minus one little area about an arm's-width wide that is open. I didn't see anyone, or hear anything further. I went inside with the family and we sat around and talked for a bit about. We were not sure if it was actually gun fire we heard or not. And even if it was, back-yard target shooting is extremely common in that area and goes mostly un-noticed. After about 15 minutes or so, my dad and I decided to walk down the driveway and the old logging road (driveway is about 50 yards long, and the logging road from the intersection to my dad's driveway is about 60-70 yards long).

We went down to see if we could see any firecracker paper, or maybe some spent ammo casings that someone may have shot at a street sign or the like, we seen nothing after a few minutes of looking and went back up to the house. After talking to the wife again for another 3-4 minutes we decided to go look again, paying more attention at the logging road itself this time, and seen nothing after a couple minutes of looking. Had we found some shells, we probably would of reported it, but we seen nothing. We started to head back up towards the driveway when another round went off, and we could hear it punch through a bit of brush immediately between us and the origin of the shot, and it went through my right calf. I felt the hit, but it didn't really hurt like I imagened it would, looked down to confirm and seen blood pumping out of my leg. I yelled at my dad that I'd been hit, and we need to get to some cover. I sprinted up to the beginning of the driveway, and turned to check on my dad (who has a limp after a work-related accident last winter) and he was still standing where I got hit. I don't know if he didn't believe me when I said I was hit, if he just locked up or what, but I screamed at him again to get his ass moving, he looked at me, seen the blood pumping out of me and suddenly took off into a sprint towards me. As I was running back into the house I stopped real quick behind a large stump on the side of the driveway to take a quick glance at my wound after feeling the sensation of warm blood all over both of my feet. I seen the exit wound on the inside of my calf, and noticed it wasn't a whole lot bigger than the entrence wound, and I felt a bit of relief knowing that my leg wasn't as torn up as it could of been. We rushed inside (that quick stop-look took all of 2-3 seconds) and yelled at my wife that I'd been shot and told my dad to grab the kids and get them into a bedroom to keep a few walls between them and the direction of the gunfire. My wife called me into the bathroom where I sat on the edge of the bathtub and called 911, while she adminstered first-aid to my leg. While on the phone with them, we heard several more gunshots.

I tried to keep my cool as much as possible, explained the situation to the 911 operator, and after getting my bleeding to stop with heavy pressure, I went and laid down on the couch in the livingroom while staying on the phone, and having my wife peek out of the window from a distance to watch the driveway incase the gunman would come. I communicated with the 911 operator the direction the gunfire was coming from, where the officers could find cover near the house, etc. It took about 25 minutes from the start of the 911 call until the officers were at the door, due to them being fired apon once they got on scene (those were the shots I heard while sitting on the side of the bathtub while talking to 911). They originally were going to just extract me, and leave a couple officers behind with my family in the house, but I started to get pissed about the idea of my two kids being left behind in the area with only cedar siding and drywall between them and gunfire. One of the officers said to the rest 'just get everyone inside the car' so they did. I was in the back, along with my wife holding our year old, and my father in the passenger front seat, holding my 3 year old. Each window had a bulletproof vest rolled up in it, and one across the windshield. While they were loading up my kids, three of the four officers had their rifles out, and were watching the nearby forest and one asked me twice, if I had previous military experience, which I still don't understand why he asked (was I bleeding like a vet? lol). I couldn't help but chuckle a little after we were loaded up, the officer who was driving, asked if it'd be okay if he turned around in our grass, as if I'd be mad about it at that time. The three officers who were armed with rifles, walked alongside the car down our driveway to the logging road, then the driver took off down the logging road, onto the paved road, and down the street around a corner about 6-7 blocks away where there was already a small convoy of police cars, fire and first-aid trucks waiting. They loaded myself and my family into a single ambulance and took us to the hospital. I remember feeling relief that my kids were out of harms way, but my concern immediately going to everyone else in the area, and especially the 3 officers who were willing to stay behind in a dangerous area, cut-off from their own support.

Even on the way to the hospital and once we were inside and I was getting taken care of... We all thought that it was probably someone shooting that had a bad backstop, or just didn't really know what they were doing. Nothing malicious has ever really happened like that out where my dad lives, and we just assumed it was an accident. It wasn't until sitting at the hospital for an hour and a half or so, that the nurses who were listening to their police scanner came and told us that the guy was shooting at the SWAT team, their helicopter, passing motorists before they set up the road blocks, etc. He was armed with a scoped military-style rifle of unknown (or at least undisclosed) caliber. It wasn't until then, I realized the camoflauged shooter had me - literally - in his sights. That's when my stumach turned, I realized then, that my wife and kids were in the yard, next to that small opening in the woods when we first heard the shots. He seen my 3 year old and 1 year old babies and wife in the yard, and was trying to shoot them. At first, when looking back, I felt kind of foolish going down to investigate if what I heard was actually gunfire. But at the same time, I didn't know for sure, and certainly didn't think anything with criminal-intent was going on. But at the same time, had I not been shot in the leg, and no more gunshots were heard, we probably would of just assumed it had gone and passed, and eventually would of just let our kids go back outside to play. The circumstances could of been so much worse, I feel very lucky that they played out the way they did.

In the end, the shoot-out continued on for several more hours, and the gunman was killed, though they were concerned about a possible second shooter, due to the gunman's shoot and move military tactics and the sheer amount of gunfire they took. I think the gunman was killed around 5pm-ish (I was shot at about 1:30pm) but they didn't recover the body until the next day. They had the road blocked off until very early morning the next day, allowing people to go home, but still wanted everyone to stay in their homes until around noon the following day. I whole event really shook up a lot of people in this neighborhood, and it definitely gave me something to walk away with too. My biggest concern and problem right now, is my 3 year old boy was there to see the approximate 4 pints of blood I lost pumping out of me, and he understands that "someone shot daddy". All I could think to do over these past 3 days is to tell him it was an accident, and to re-assure him that daddy is okay. He seems to be coming around and is pretty much back to his normal, laughing self.

As for me, I got lucky in that the bullet didn't hit any bones, or anything. It went through about the thickest part of my calf, from the outside in, and has left me with a lot of swelling and discomfort, but I'm still able to hobble around on my own two feet without crutches. I'm hoping to be walking normally in a couple weeks, but we'll see how recovery goes.

Update:

I apologize for taking so long to add pics guys, with finishing up my dad's house, getting back to Idaho, etc it's been a bit hectic. Anyway, I finally have all the pics uploaded. I'll annotate each a bit to help give you as much info as I can. I apologize for some of the pics being blurry, especially off to one side - the lense cover on my cells camera is indented a bit and distorts pictures a little.

My lil' exit wound, with an AA to show size. Entrence wound is about half that, so didn't bother taking a pic.

I think the first pic was either the day after, or 2 days after being shot, and this one is around a week later, showing what I thought was a rather large area of bruising, more than I would have previously assumed from a .22

This is the view from the backyard looking through the small break in the woods. You'll notice a vehicle on the road heading away around the soft corner. The shooter's house is blocked by some trees but is about center of the pic, and the vehicle has just passed the residence. This is where my two children and wife was standing when we heard the first shots. It wasn't until later, while sitting in the hospital that we realized the shooter was acting intentionally, and that he intended to shoot my kids and/or wife where I stood taking this picture.

I took a few steps to my left to take a second picture, using the close, front two trees as a visual marker, to show how the shooter's fields are viewable in the distance.

A closer shot of the view down the road. Main reason I added this pic, is to keep the visual marker of the tree nearest the camera to the far left, and to point out the small stump just below the van in this picture, to follow up with the next...

So this was the money shot. This is where I was standing when I was hit. The shooter (according to the police) primarily took up his shooting position in the dark cluster of trees, just left of his blue house and I'm assuming that's where he was when he shot me. The tops of the brush between me and that location is where I heard the bullet go through before hitting my leg. Notice the little stump again? The views have been looking roughly east, and now I'm standing on a gravel road that was blocked from view in the previous pics running roughly north-south which I'll add a pic of in a minute.

Same standing position as previous pic, but looking more south-east. It shows a bit of the road I'm standing on, and the shooters shop and field.

Image Looking east again, but from closer to the paved street. The shooter's primary shooting location was in the dark cluster of trees directly behind the yellow sign, right on the edge of the road (where he was shooting at passing cars). While the detective I spoke to said that was his primary shooting location, I also heard he was moving around a lot. If he was - you can see he had quite a few places to seek concealement/coverage.

Same standing location as previous pic, just looking a bit right from before, to show the amount of places he had to take coverage on his property.

This is acrossed the street, looking back up the gravel road I was standing on while taking the last few pics. I was standing roughly where the strip of shadow crosses the logging road when I got shot. I believe the same trees casting that shadow were the ones that concealed my dad from the shooter's view. Or, perhaps, he seen us both and I was the lucky one, who knows.

A pic showing the road again. Not sure if you can make out the tiny blue sign on the left side of the gravel road, acrossed from about the rear vehicle. That's the driveway entrence. I was standing right about on the edge of the shadow, nearest to the camera, on the right-hand side of the road when I got shot. At the beginning of the driveway is where I stopped to turn around to see my dad, who was still standing about in the middle of the shadow, on the right hand side of the gravel road (nearest shooter) :roll:

Thanks for all the get-well wishes from everyone. I'm walking completely normally again, though stairs are still a bit slow. :)
Last edited by Vel454 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Charlie_Kilo
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead, 28 Days Later

Re: I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Post by Charlie_Kilo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Holy Crap!

I am so glad you and your family are safe.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
"There's no such thing as useless people. They can always be used as a bad example, as a food source, or as target practice."
-- The Nuge

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Glad you and the family are ok.

Speedy recovery.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:46 pm

:shock:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery--glad it wasn't worse!!! :gonk:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:49 pm

thats a little too close to home...im glad it wasnt worse. Hope the best.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, that sucks, glad you and the kinder made out OK.

Folks often ask me about the value of a 'police scanner' - for one thing you can check to see if gunshots were reported without going outside of a structure.

Thanks for the report, let us know when you get back home!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks guys, I'm happy with the way it turned out too. Now my only concern, is if I'm going to be liable for the hospital bills or not. :lol:
Aut vincere aut mori...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Damn! Good of you to insist that the police extract your entire family, even before you knew this was more than an idiot plinking without a backstop. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Why do you think that one police officer was so intent on whether you had military experience? Do you think it's because you were so calm after taking a round and level headed enough to be thinking about your family?

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm

I was only in the hospital for about 3 hours then we stayed the night at a friends house. I've been back at my dad's sense Monday afternoon. I wont be back home in Idaho for a few weeks yet I think, still got a lot to do around my dad's place to get it ready to sell. :)
Aut vincere aut mori...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Scary stuff. I hope you recover quickly and I'm glad he either wasn't a better shot or just didn't have the interest in harming your family.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:59 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Damn! Good of you to insist that the police extract your entire family, even before you knew this was more than an idiot plinking without a backstop. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Why do you think that one police officer was so intent on whether you had military experience? Do you think it's because you were so calm after taking a round and level headed enough to be thinking about your family?
That's my guess, but I'm not sure. I was doing what I could to assist them with information for their job too - where I thought the shooter's location was, distance, talked about my assumption it was a rifle-fire due to the distance and rather clean puncture through my leg instead of a quick-spreading round tearing things up, notable places for them to take cover, trails in the area and what not. Or, he wanted to know if I was trained to grab a gun too, haha, I really have no clue. Maybe it's small-talk for you military/law enforcement types? :lol:
Aut vincere aut mori...

Terminus est

Post by Terminus est » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Chilling hope you make a speedy recovery.
There is no .45 VS 9mm thread that cannot be ended by a .22 to the forehead.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Best wishes for a fast recovery, and may this be the very worst thing that ever happens to you.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote::shock:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery--glad it wasn't worse!!! :gonk:
This. Wow, just wow. Good job keeping your head.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

MrBomb
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Night of the Living Dead, Walking Dead

Post by MrBomb » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:58 pm

That was quite the situation! :shock:

I am very glad to hear that it was a clean through and through and hopefully it won't take long before you are moving around as normal, glad to hear that is all that he was able to hit though.

Get well soon!

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

I Got Shot 3 Days Ago.

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm glad that you & yours are ok! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your bullet wound.
It must have been a surreal experience :oh:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

ILswatcop
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead (both), the walking dead (TV series)

Post by ILswatcop » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Purely a guess on my part, but I am also using past professional experience when formulating this guess. The officer was probably taking your demeanor into account, and was quite possibly mulling over having you armed during the extraction process. I have had a couple of incidents in the past where I armed a person with my backup weapon when the situation called for it, but not until I was satisified that they could safely handle a weapon (which I determined by basically questioning them about their experience).

ILswatcop
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead (both), the walking dead (TV series)

Post by ILswatcop » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 pm

BTW, I am very glad that you were not injured worse and that your family was not harmed!

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:16 pm

You know we are going to want pictures.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Have some on phone, will try and load some up on my dads computer.
Aut vincere aut mori...

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Phoenix David wrote:You know we are going to want pictures.
This. I mean, tragic and all, but pics or it didn't happen ;)

Seriously, though. Just, wow. I'm glad everyone (who wasn't shooting at people for no reason) is okay.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Sounds like you handled the situation well. Glad you and the family are doing well. Thanks for sharing your story with us,get well soon.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Good Lord Vel! I am glad everything worked out okay and there were no other injuries.
Take care and heal quick!
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Police scanner now becoming a real possibility for me.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Return to “Survival Experiences”