Boy Scouts and an emergency situation....

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

echo2

Boy Scouts and an emergency situation....

Post by echo2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 am

Last night...the family and myself went to watch my eldest son get "Tapped Out" for the Order of the Arrow.

During the campfire proceeding the ceremony....the alarm sounded for "incoming bad weather" This time it was a tornado watch and severe thunder storms.

It was dark....and the storm moved quickly....dust mostly and branches falling from trees.

It still amazes me.....these Scouts and their families....moved quickly and calmly....1/4 mile from the assembly to the dining hall.

This was roughly 900 people....

The lights went out on the way....came back on intermittently....but it was of no matter....everyone there had a flashlight.

Some of the younger Scouts were scared....and the older Scouts were there trying to calm them down.

All this movement....over varied trails....by folks of all ages....in the dark....and the only injuries...was some dust in the eyes.

Gotta love the Scouts.

That is all.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Boy Scouts and an emergency situation....

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:06 am

Nice to hear everyone kept a level head. The image of the older scouts looking after the little ones is the sort of thing I never tire of hearing about. Thanks for sharing.

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 am

I had several similar situations when i was a Scout. Coincidentailly during my OA Ordeal, we had a massive storm blow through and everyone crammed into the mess hall. No problems, but everyone sitting and enjoying themselves for the evening and going to sleep. As a scout we did not have many issues with "emergency" situations in regards to having people panic or not know what to do.

Also, it's awesome to see that you are participating in your son's scouting career. I have many fond memories of my parents being on campouts and such with me as a scout.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. As a Scout leader and a parent, it's great to hear success stories like this.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm glad everyone was safe. That is yet another great example of the benefits of Scouting. Great job all around!

Clout

Post by Clout » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Glad to hear the preparedness paid off and that everyone was safe.

I really miss the Scouts. Some of my best memories growing up were with those kids and leaders. Some scout leaders in my area of done less than admiral things in their lives, leading to some bad press. My son is only 10 days old, but I hope he expresses an interest some day as I'd like to fulfill the role of leader and provide these boys with what I was able to participate in.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:48 am

Clout wrote:Glad to hear the preparedness paid off and that everyone was safe.

I really miss the Scouts. Some of my best memories growing up were with those kids and leaders. Some scout leaders in my area of done less than admiral things in their lives, leading to some bad press. My son is only 10 days old, but I hope he expresses an interest some day as I'd like to fulfill the role of leader and provide these boys with what I was able to participate in.
Don't wait for him to take an interest. Sign him up. Be a Scouting leader. I have three sons in Cub Scouts, the wisest thing our Cub Master ever said was "Boys are good at one thing, quitting." I dropped out after being a Webelo. I've really regretted that as an adult.

So introduce your son to Cub Scouts when the age is right and be there to encourage him to stick to it when he'd rather be playing video games.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:35 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Clout wrote:Glad to hear the preparedness paid off and that everyone was safe.

Don't wait for him to take an interest. Sign him up. Be a Scouting leader. I have three sons in Cub Scouts, the wisest thing our Cub Master ever said was "Boys are good at one thing, quitting." I dropped out after being a Webelo. I've really regretted that as an adult.

So introduce your son to Cub Scouts when the age is right and be there to encourage him to stick to it when he'd rather be playing video games.
I'm going to second Evan's encouragement to become a leader and get your son signed up. Not only will you be continuing the awesome legacy and tradition of scouting, but you'll be setting a great example for your son and so many other boys in how to Be Prepared. I sincerely think it's an investment that you will never regret and one your son will always treasure.

CoffeeGuy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chopper Chicks in Zombietown, Shawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Resident Evil (only the 1st), Return of the Living Dead, Bloodsuckers From Outer Space, Wild Zero, Biozombie.... (many more for such different reasons)

Post by CoffeeGuy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Knowledge saves lives.

Prime example - they taught the scouts how to react and what to do in an emergency. The scouts practiced it and KNEW what to do when the cards were down.

Well done! well done. :clap:

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Scouts, especially those of us who camp in so-called hazardous areas really get used to it. I live in the middle of tornado alley and have seen multiple tornadoes, all during camping trips. And, each time I was with the scouts. Everything was done orderly and quickly to get to the designated shelters. Our leaders started us early and we always made it to where we needed to be and never lost a single scout in the process of evacuating or sheltering.

Well done to your scouts, as well. One of the best things during those times is organized calm. And, that can only be achieved through practice.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Years ago a boy with an Rifle and a pistol went to his school and began shooting people.

A boy scout charged him was shot in the chest with the rifle but tackled the boy. He was shot again with the pistol but held him down until 4 other boy scouts helped him disarm and retrain the boy. We will never know how many lives were saved that day, but its not hard to believe that they saved quiet a few.

http://scoutingmagazine.org/issues/9811/d-news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its the second story down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Kinkel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Wiki on the shooter, talks about the shooting)

I am fond of boy scouts, and while not all of them are great people I think many of them are better citizens than most. I was only a scout for a few years when I was young.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Be prepared!
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Survival Experiences”