How to (almost) burn down your house while cleaning man-cave

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bae

How to (almost) burn down your house while cleaning man-cave

Post by bae » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I've been massively decluttering and organizing my garage the past few weeks.

Yesterday, I opened up a cardboard box which had been sitting on a shelf for 12 years. Before that, it had been sitting on a shelf in the basement in my previous home for 8 years, and before that, in a shelf in my garage in my previous house for a couple of years.

It was water-damaged on the outside from several burst pipe incidents over the years. Upon inspection, it was some obsolete, moldy, mildewy surplus-store camping supplies from my high school years, that I'd stopped using even then as I had upgraded. Dented canteen cups, aged bungy cords, some rotten belts, other odds and ends.

Without a thought I threw it into the 55-gallon plastic garbage can meant for the dump.
I then threw a bunch of other things into the garbage can over the next 5-10 minutes, then took a break to cook lunch. As I was waiting for something to warm up, I remembered I'd left my water glass in the garage, so I popped out to get it.

Smoke, nasty toxic white smoke, everywhere, and flames shooting up out of the garbage can.

I put it out with the handy huge fire extinguisher I'd just nicely mounted on the wall (before, it was a bit buried behind other things, thank goodness I had dug it out and put it up).

Turns out the old camping supplies had a few boxes of old strike-anywhere, waterproof matches inside a plastic bag. And I'd managed to light one of them when I tossed a heavy item or two atop the pile, where it smoldered for a bit.

Ooops.

DriveInMutant
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead(78)", "Zombi 2", "The Dead"

Re: How to (almost) burn down your house while cleaning man-

Post by DriveInMutant » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Well... at least you know the strike-anywheres were worth what you paid for them 20 some odd years ago!
"If I were stuck on an island, and could only take one thing with me, I'd take you, because you would get me off that island!"

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Off to the store to buy some Strike Anywhere matches.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:41 pm

At least you didn't forget about what was on the stove for long enough to start a second fire :mrgreen:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Return to “Survival Experiences”