My Good Gun Show Deed for the Day

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

My Good Gun Show Deed for the Day

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:06 pm

This weekend I was helping a friend of mine who happens to be a gunsmith. He had two tables set up at a local gun and knife show, displaying his wares and selling a gun or two. Doing these shows is a lot harder then most people think and he just could not do it alone and since I was planning on going to this show anyway, helping him out just made sense.

About half way through the show, an older gentleman and a young boy of perhaps 10 or a bit younger came up to the table. The youngster had a small black box in his hands that I immediately recognized as an older style box for reloading dies. My friend asked him what we had and the man told the boy to show us what he had. He handed it to my friend who then handed it to me, telling the gentleman that I knew more about reloading equipment then he did.

The box contained once contained three dies but two were missing. I quick glance at the die told me that it was the bullet seating die for .38 SPL/.357 Magnum made by Lyman. This was a really old style die, perhaps 1970's vintage and hardly used. I told the young man and the gentleman what it was and how unfortunate the set was not complete, handing it back to the youngster.

"Yeah, it is," the gentleman said, sounding disappointed, "He found it at a garage sale and brought it here hoping to sell it so he could buy some .22 ammo for his new rifle." Although the gentleman did not say it, I had the impression he had bought the rifle for the youngster who was probably his grandson.

"Well," I said while reaching into my pocket, "would you take $5 for it?"

The youngster's eyes lit up and he nodded his head up and down so fast his face was blurry. I handed him a five dollar bill and he handed back the die and box. The gentleman thanks us profusely and the young man had a big smile as they went off to pick up some .22 shells, I'm sure.

I did not need another seating die. I've got two different .357 die sets already. But it's nice to have a spare. And five bucks is five bucks. But I don't think any of us could put a price on the good time the youngster and the gentleman are going to have shooting that new rifle together.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Kommander

Re: My Good Gun Show Deed for the Day

Post by Kommander » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Just when I think the world is totally fucked you make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Good on ya, mate.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks guys.

We shall not sleep..."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Good for you, LRM. It's kinda like kids' lemonade stands. I don't care how busy you are. You stop, you buy a cup, tip generously and insist it's the best dang lemonade you ever tasted.

This stuff is really important. I'm not sure why, but it just is.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 pm

You were at a real gun show? I'm impressed nice thing to do for the little fella. Pretty darn rare these days, least up here.

Maybe that Karma will come back to you at the next show....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:56 pm

D'awww... :)
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks all. I'm still feeling pretty good about it. Maybe we made a shooter for life out of the youngster.

We shall not sleep..."

HMPlatinum

Post by HMPlatinum » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Excellent! Thank you.
- Sent via two rabid squirrels and a large slingshot (please catch and return the squirrels...they're special)

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 am

majorhavoc wrote:Good for you, LRM. It's kinda like kids' lemonade stands. I don't care how busy you are. You stop, you buy a cup, tip generously and insist it's the best dang lemonade you ever tasted.

This stuff is really important. I'm not sure why, but it just is.
^^^^This.

A few seconds out of your day and occasionally some pocket change can make a big impact on young people's lives. I'm not saying devote hours of your day or spend all sorts of money on any hair brained scheme a kid can come up with but stuff like that is important. Good on ya LRM for making that kids day. Cost you $5 for something you really didn't need but it sure made a difference to that kid. Kudos.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

tshw1973

Post by tshw1973 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:16 pm

Best deed I ever did for a kid : I'm a defence lawyer ( yes defence as I'm English ). I dealt with a 12 year old kid that was co accused in a knife point robbery. Mothers new boyfriend had dragged him out with him while he robbed someone at knifepoint. Only involvement for the kid was picking up 2 pounds ( 3 bucks ) that dropped on floor and passing it to the main guy. Kid was arrested and his clothes taken from him for forensics. It became clear to me that the kids only sweater was taken from him. Also clear was mother could afford to buy a new one only if she didn't smoke so much. At one hearing I went out at lunch and bought the kid a new sweater. The look on his face was priceless. Shame his mother looked so glum. Poor kid never stood a chance with a mother like that.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm

tshw1973 wrote:Best deed I ever did for a kid : I'm a defence lawyer ( yes defence as I'm English ). I dealt with a 12 year old kid that was co accused in a knife point robbery. Mothers new boyfriend had dragged him out with him while he robbed someone at knifepoint. Only involvement for the kid was picking up 2 pounds ( 3 bucks ) that dropped on floor and passing it to the main guy. Kid was arrested and his clothes taken from him for forensics. It became clear to me that the kids only sweater was taken from him. Also clear was mother could afford to buy a new one only if she didn't smoke so much. At one hearing I went out at lunch and bought the kid a new sweater. The look on his face was priceless. Shame his mother looked so glum. Poor kid never stood a chance with a mother like that.
Good for you as well! You probably saved that kid's life.

My oldest friend in the world (been buds for near 41 years) is a high school level teacher for troubled or disadvantaged kids and he goes out of his way for many of his students. He has literally given the shirt of his back to a student in need many times and in many cases because the parent or parents either don't care or are unable to help their child out. Some of his students never seem to escape their problems but quite a few have gone on to be productive members of society. About a year ago, one of the first students he taught in his program became a congressman!

So yeah, a sometimes a little can really go a long way.

We shall not sleep..."

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Good deed, indeed. :D
WWSD?

6MM

Post by 6MM » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Way Cool. It's fun to make a kid's day.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

That is awesome, at least $5 bucks in .22 is still a good time.

This vaguely reminds me of something that happened to me, when I was a kid I went to Petsmart to buy a fish, I was a little short but the cashier used his employee discount to knock off some of the price and another pitched in the buck or two I was missing. Fast forward 8 years or so when I was a cashier for my first real job, I see a kid in line with a $5 and a toy that is listed at 4.99. I knew it was going to be over so I used my discount and pulled a buck out of my pocket it to cover it. Not sure if the kid figured out what I did (though I think so) but the lady behind him did.

Point being, even if it doesn't make it around to you, it will make its way around eventually I bet, one of those pay it forward type deals, give it another 10 or 15 years and that kid will remember that. It is always the little stuff like this that makes me smile, and I bet you did help make a shooter for life :mrgreen:

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:10 am

Back when I was still dealing, I used a number of strategies to get people to my tables. During the apple season, I'd bring a bushel or two of apples, set a box of them out on the table, and give one to anybody who wanted one. There were a few jerks who tried to take the whole box, but for the most part, people were well-behaved. I also sold "meanie babies", which were like Beanie Babies, but with a pretty dark sense of humor. (I carried these because I told the not-yet Mrs SMoAF that if she ever saw something that I should carry, to tell me, and that's what she came up with.) For example, one of them was "Splat the Flat Cat", which had "X"ed out eyes and a flat middle with tire tracks on it. Another one was "Perter gotta PeeGull", which is self-explanatory. :lol: This generally caught the attention of kids, and they'd generally bring over their parents. Every so often, I'd see a kid from an obviously poor family looking at them longingly, but I knew that their parents wouldn't spend $5 for one. I'd talk to the kids, find out which one they liked the most, and would then give them whichever one they liked. I did have a couple of parents bring the kids back over after I'd given them one, apparently thinking that the kid stole it. I made sure that the parents knew that it was an unsolicited gift from me, and that the kid neither stole it nor asked me for a freebie. I figure that over the years, I ended up giving maybe half of them away. Considering the kind of goodwill this generated from my customer base, it was definitely worth it.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's toNo the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:30 am

Good on you.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:11 pm

One holiday season, I was in line behind a little boy who had a bar of fancy, perfumed soap in his hand. He got to the cashier, and she told him he was a bit short of what he needed to make the purchase. I immediately offered the cashier the difference. I'm sure the little guy was offering every penny he had to give someone a special gift, and I wanted to make sure he could act on this love and generosity. It made my day to see his face light up when he was able to get that bar of nice soap for his loved one. The cashier told him to thank me, but all I really needed to see was that happy little face. I hope he too remembers that day and is able to do the same.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:27 pm

When he is all grown up, he will remember this day. The day he bought his FIRST ammo for his FIRST gun with something he picked up at a yardsale. You didnt give him ammo. You gave him a memory-one that he will carry with him for the rest of his life. That, sir, has no monetary value.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:57 pm

In all honesty...this thread touched me. I remember being that kid at one point, and when I turned 20 I devoted the next six years of my life to helping at risk children at a group home.

It is really important. And there isn't enough of it happening.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Niblick wrote:In all honesty...this thread touched me. I remember being that kid at one point, and when I turned 20 I devoted the next six years of my life to helping at risk children at a group home.

It is really important. And there isn't enough of it happening.
That had to be a tough job. I sure hope you were able to help some of those kids. It is so hard to steer those kids in the right direction. Thanks for the post.^ :D

My friend, who I was helping out that day, is still telling everyone about this. He was really impressed as well.

We shall not sleep..."

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:49 am

It was a pretty tough job. I'd have to say the hardest part was dealing with the parents when they came for visitation. Knowing the kids' history, sometimes it was all I could do to not axe kick some of the parents as soon as they walked through the door.

I think I did help at least a few of the kids though. But trying to be a positive male role model is tough when you never had one.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

NatasBlackwind
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by NatasBlackwind » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Your a good man. Cheers!

Return to “Survival Experiences”