When you see someone with 5.11 Gear or any brand Name Gear

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kommander

Re: When you see someone with 5.11 Gear or any brand Name Ge

Post by Kommander » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:48 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
Kommander wrote:The other day at work one of our newer ex military employees asked me if I was Army or Marines based solely on my Hazard 4 slingpack with attached shemagh. I told him that he was making too many assumptions on too little evidence. I dislike being mistaken for police or military for a variety of reasons and this made me want to throw my pack in the river and get a hippie bag like a Timbuk2 messenger. I do reserve the right to wear my West Point Oakleys and Multicam hat whenever I want but that's because they were gifts from brother who is a fourth year West Point cadet.
I find it odd that:

A) You are offended if somebody asks if you are a member of the U.S. military or law enforcement.
B) You don't just choose to say "Nope, never been in the service" if asked and instead pop off to a well-intentioned question.

I get asked from time to time if I'm in the military (something about looking like a meathead with a high and tight) and it simply never ocurred to me to be pissed off about it. Obviously YMMV...
Your making too many assumptions on too little evidence.

Seriously though I reread my post and I see how you could interpret it the way you did. I am not offended by being asked or being mistaken for police or military. In fact it's just the opposite, I do not want credit for something I have not done. Example: A restaurant I used to go to used to give me the military/LEO discount when I stopped there in my uniform and gun while on break. As I am an armored truck guard and have no professional interest in anything outside of protecting me and my truck I felt that the discount was inappropriate and asked them to stop.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Kommander wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote:
Kommander wrote:The other day at work one of our newer ex military employees asked me if I was Army or Marines based solely on my Hazard 4 slingpack with attached shemagh. I told him that he was making too many assumptions on too little evidence. I dislike being mistaken for police or military for a variety of reasons and this made me want to throw my pack in the river and get a hippie bag like a Timbuk2 messenger. I do reserve the right to wear my West Point Oakleys and Multicam hat whenever I want but that's because they were gifts from brother who is a fourth year West Point cadet.
I find it odd that:

A) You are offended if somebody asks if you are a member of the U.S. military or law enforcement.
B) You don't just choose to say "Nope, never been in the service" if asked and instead pop off to a well-intentioned question.

I get asked from time to time if I'm in the military (something about looking like a meathead with a high and tight) and it simply never ocurred to me to be pissed off about it. Obviously YMMV...

Your making too many assumptions on too little evidence.

Seriously though I reread my post and I see how you could interpret it the way you did. I am not offended by being asked or being mistaken for police or military. In fact it's just the opposite, I do not want credit for something I have not done. Example: A restaurant I used to go to used to give me the military/LEO discount when I stopped there in my uniform and gun while on break. As I am an armored truck guard and have no professional interest in anything outside of protecting me and my truck I felt that the discount was inappropriate and asked them to stop.
Well, that makes a hell of a lot more sense. Your post struck me as intensely weird and almost pathologically rude, but on further reflection I thought "Well, it's not like I know Kommander personally, maybe he's an intensely weird and pathologically rude kind of guy!"

Anyway, I get what you're saying, and to be honest, depending on whether or not I'm in the mood to chat I might decide to answer the "Are you in the military?" question with "Yep, used to be in the Marines" or "Nope, just rocking the buzz cut." I don't generally turn down a discount when I'm in my FD uniform (always offer to pay full price at least once, though) but it bugs me intensely when guys try and get the discount when they're not in uniform by flashing their badge or ID. Seriously, just pay the extra 75 cents for the soda, cheapskate!! :roll:
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 am

DannusMaximus wrote: Well, that makes a hell of a lot more sense. Your post struck me as intensely weird and almost pathologically rude, but on further reflection I thought "Well, it's not like I know Kommander personally, maybe he's an intensely weird and pathologically rude kind of guy!"

Anyway, I get what you're saying, and to be honest, depending on whether or not I'm in the mood to chat I might decide to answer the "Are you in the military?" question with "Yep, used to be in the Marines" or "Nope, just rocking the buzz cut." I don't generally turn down a discount when I'm in my FD uniform (always offer to pay full price at least once, though) but it bugs me intensely when guys try and get the discount when they're not in uniform by flashing their badge or ID. Seriously, just pay the extra 75 cents for the soda, cheapskate!! :roll:
If you made what I do, you'd want the discount where you can get it too. :lol:
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:04 am

Doc Torr wrote:If you made what I do, you'd want the discount where you can get it too. :lol:
I was kinda surprised the other day by what my active duty buddies actually make, stateside and living in the barracks. I was overseas pretty much my entire time in, and for the last couple of years I was in Russia (massive COLA) and Kuwait (massive COLA, tax free, hostile fire, etc.). My friend, who is an E5 with six years service, makes the same or less than I do as a damn security guard..and significantly less when you consider that I'm getting GI bill payments as well.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:38 am

I knows some security people who make 100k+, and I'm not talking about management, I mean guys in uniforms, out in the field... it all depends on who you work for...

Of course the typical "guard" that people think of when they think about security need not even bother applying for those kinds of jobs.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 am

TDW586 wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:If you made what I do, you'd want the discount where you can get it too. :lol:
I was kinda surprised the other day by what my active duty buddies actually make, stateside and living in the barracks. I was overseas pretty much my entire time in, and for the last couple of years I was in Russia (massive COLA) and Kuwait (massive COLA, tax free, hostile fire, etc.). My friend, who is an E5 with six years service, makes the same or less than I do as a damn security guard..and significantly less when you consider that I'm getting GI bill payments as well.
They're trimming more every year. Hazard Duty/Hostile fire is now prorated, and the days of 3% annual COLA/base pay raises are gone. None of us are poor, but none of us (especially us 30+month Lances) are really rich. If I didn't love it, I wouldn't do it, but I'll always take a .mil discount if I can.

Here's to reenlistment *toasts a near-beer*

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 am

Akin wrote:I knows some security people who make 100k+, and I'm not talking about management, I mean guys in uniforms, out in the field... it all depends on who you work for...

Of course the typical "guard" that people think of when they think about security need not even bother applying for those kinds of jobs.
My job is one of the higher paying ones in the area, on a city contract, and an armed, fairly active site. Still, though, it's by no means a high paying job, and just something to keep my bills paid and buy me guns while I finish my degree. That I make the same as an active duty E5 with six years is kinda sad, considering that I know I worked a hell of a lot harder in the Corps than I do now, even with overtime and college classes.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:01 pm

DannusMaximus as a firefighter you are far more deserving of a discount than I. There are a few places that do give discounts to security such as Brownells but those are "less thank you for you service" discounts and more "please buy all your crap here and be sure to tell your co-workers".

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

SavageArcher

Post by SavageArcher » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:32 pm

I see a few folks around here wearing tacticool clothing, I do have a few pairs of Propper Tactical pants and shirts but I end up looking more like a Boy Scout leader than a bad ass. As for the elastic waistbands, well I'm one of those poor bastards with a 35 inch waist so my choices are a snug 34 waist or a sloppy 36. That elastic band is nice.

Mostly these days I wear Carhartts and Dickies work cloths but I carry my bulkier EDC stuff in a Maxipedtion bag. Some days I wear Red Wing boots others I have on some Altima desert boots on. On my head it might be a khaki boonie, a straw cowboy hat or a Real Tree camo ball cap. I'm so mixed and matched I don't think anyone would single me out as anything other than a person who likes and uses durable gear. And that's pretty much who and what I am. I also like drab earth tones because I work and play outside and they don't show dirt and grim so bad. To me it's a matter of being practical.

Teqnikal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, AAAAAAAH ZOMBIES!!!

Post by Teqnikal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Viper shtf wrote:When I see someone dressed like that, I yell noob, slap them with my edc fish, and run away.
I nearly spat out my coffee.

speed6

Post by speed6 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:25 am

The first day of BSR's security driving class was partially in a hotel for a lecture about threat detection/attack indicators. I went down the the free continental breakfast, and immediately started seeing guys in 5.11 stuff. I started taking mental note of them: "that guy's gonna be in my class, that guy, that guy..." everyone that had on "tactical" clothes ended up being in my class. I wore khakis and a polo. IMHO much better off wearing either "normal" clothes and making do, or getting yuppie-ish stuff (north face, patagonia, etc.) that has pockets and such and is made to stand up to trail use. Nobody suspects the yuppie looking guy to carry a gun 8-) . Every time I see someone with a shoulder bag that has MOLLE on it, is a maxpedition etc. I immediately assume they have a gun. Same for riggers belts.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 pm

speed6 wrote:Every time I see someone with a shoulder bag that has MOLLE on it, is a maxpedition etc. I immediately assume they have a gun. Same for riggers belts.
P l u s o n e

I never understood the allure of these "gun purses". NO ONE is ever fooled by these... they simply scream out GUN GUN GUN LOOK AT ME I HAVE A GUN!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:38 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
I find it odd that:

Yuuup and ditto; Look at age 42 if there is one regret I will take to the grave with me, is that I never served.
Do I have a predilection for stuff by 5.11, Woolrich Elite, Bates, Magnum and so on? Yes, but whenever anyone has asked me if I am ex.mil or LE; I will promptly and politely indicate that this is not the case. As a matter of fact I make a concious effort not to buy/wear milspec camo, more as a self impossed sign of respect than anything.

Also Kommander if you really want to deep6 your H4 Slingpack for a Timbuk2, I could trade you as I have 3 TB2s. Not a one of them worn as a 'Hippybag' BTW all of them were used to keep me clothed, fed and gainfully employed as a bike messenger during and right after college. :mrgreen:
You gotta have some respect for a messenger bag that will take Chicago weather all year round, let you fit boxes up to 12x10x24 & 75 lbs (commercial photo printing paper for the record), be fully TSA compliant (Been in every .Gov building in DT Chicago) and STILL remain waterproof.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:Also Kommander if you really want to deep6 your H4 Slingpack for a Timbuk2, I could trade you as I have 3 TB2s. Not a one of them worn as a 'Hippybag' BTW all of them were used to keep me clothed, fed and gainfully employed as a bike messenger during and right after college. :mrgreen:
You gotta have some respect for a messenger bag that will take Chicago weather all year round, let you fit boxes up to 12x10x24 & 75 lbs (commercial photo printing paper for the record), be fully TSA compliant (Been in every .Gov building in DT Chicago) and STILL remain waterproof.
Link for these "Timbuk2s"? Is that a brand or a model number? I'm always looking for functional gear that doesn't call attention to itself..
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Akin wrote:
mr_slappy75 wrote:Also Kommander if you really want to deep6 your H4 Slingpack for a Timbuk2, I could trade you as I have 3 TB2s. Not a one of them worn as a 'Hippybag' BTW all of them were used to keep me clothed, fed and gainfully employed as a bike messenger during and right after college. :mrgreen:
Link for these "Timbuk2s"? Is that a brand or a model number? I'm always looking for functional gear that doesn't call attention to itself..
Here you go brother: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/shop/categor ... QAodgDrbmQ

http://youtu.be/ogDC1Jxh4ck

You'll see a these on a lot of hipsters and college kids, but the company had it's start catering to the bike messenger community in SF, word got around to other cities where messengers were looking for durable, realiable bags that could be customized for user preferences. It was in that market that they built -and maintain- their street cred.
As far as American made messenger bags go Timbuk2 is only rivaled by Chrome, originally from Boulder CO now manufactured in Chico CA, give them a look:
http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags.htm ... Kgod3Xvmnw.

I am a TB2 guy myself, friends who own Chrome are as brand loyal to their bags as I am to mine. I once worked for an outfit that provided me a Chrome bag, it was every bit as good as the TB2s, as a matter of preference I just didn't like their strap retention system. Like with all quality gear, in the end the deciding choice factor boils down to user preference.

For either brand you might end up paying a little more than I did unless you can find a local messenger company or biclying club that does 'group buys'. They used to knock off as much as 30% off the retail/website price. Reason I say "They used to" is b/c their gear is durable enough that after 10 years of ownership, none of my three bags have worn ot to the point where I've needed to buy a replacement.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:04 pm

I can vouch for Tumbuk2 bags as well, I have a messenger bag that's going on 15 years of almost daily use and has been dragged all over the country and the world and it still looks great (and supposedly Timbuk2 will fix it if it fails).
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Ya might see me in a lot of 5.11 stuff cuz I get it for free or well work pays for it and I can wear it anytime. I like their covert stuff and hell LAPOLICEGEAR clears the stuff out all the time. I wear pretty much 5.11 when I have to do a business or casual business attire. Its durable and cheap. Now when I see others in it I pretty much know they have to be packing or their are of the extended services
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:23 am

Akin wrote:
speed6 wrote:Every time I see someone with a shoulder bag that has MOLLE on it, is a maxpedition etc. I immediately assume they have a gun. Same for riggers belts.
P l u s o n e

I never understood the allure of these "gun purses". NO ONE is ever fooled by these... they simply scream out GUN GUN GUN LOOK AT ME I HAVE A GUN!!!
Only people who know that those are 'gun' purses will think that. Most folks will just think it's a 'man purse' and won't associate it with firearms.

I have worn "photojournalist/safari" vests for almost 20 years because I like the style and all the pockets. Only a few years ago did I find out that gun people automatically associate that with concealed carry. Also, I used to carry a small crossbody sling bag which, in retrospect, would've made a decent concealment device if I'd had a permit and a pistol at the time. I liked the convenience of it, and never considered that gun folks would probably think I was carrying.
I still wear the vests, but now I generally *am* carrying when not at work.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 am

nyarlotep wrote:
Akin wrote:
P l u s o n e

Only people who know that those are 'gun' purses will think that. Most folks will just think it's a 'man purse' and won't associate it with firearms.

I have worn "photojournalist/safari" vests for almost 20 years because I like the style and all the pockets. Only a few years ago did I find out that gun people automatically associate that with concealed carry. Also, I used to carry a small crossbody sling bag which, in retrospect, would've made a decent concealment device if I'd had a permit and a pistol at the time. I liked the convenience of it, and never considered that gun folks would probably think I was carrying.
I still wear the vests, but now I generally *am* carrying when not at work.
totally true, man purses are quite common here, and the vests are quite popular with the older asian gentlemen. I doubt many of em are packin (but you never know)
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:32 am

Manpurses: They're more popular than you think. I carried one for years before I ever stuffed a gun into one, and I have never lived closer than 45 minutes from a large city.

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:20 am

I'm active Army and it equals about $7.15 an hour for me. So anyone that says "pay the extra 75 cents", honestly, can go kick rocks. I ask for a military discout everywhere I go. How much per year would I save if I held on to an extra .75/day? 273.75 may not mean much to to you, but it's a new pair of boots and ACUs for me.

I've always felt like morale patches, 5.11, molle, rigger's belts, etc, was kinda like a code between sheep dogs. If im on a plane that's just been highjacked, I'm trying to make eye contact with the guy wearing the ranger hoody.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:23 am

Niblick wrote:I'm active Army and it equals about $7.15 an hour for me. So anyone that says "pay the extra 75 cents", honestly, can go kick rocks. I ask for a military discout everywhere I go. How much per year would I save if I held on to an extra .75/day? 273.75 may not mean much to to you, but it's a new pair of boots and ACUs for me.

I've always felt like morale patches, 5.11, molle, rigger's belts, etc, was kinda like a code between sheep dogs. If im on a plane that's just been highjacked, I'm trying to make eye contact with the guy wearing the ranger hoody.
That's a terrible plan, IMHO. You'll likely end up trying to save the plane with an airsoft team or something.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:06 am

Wear Hawaiian shirts. That's the ultimate camo pattern. I get overlooked all the time!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Spookadelic

Post by Spookadelic » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:55 am

I find this thread fun.
There are a lot of legitimate uses for 5.11 gear especially for working folks who need the utility. Just like there is a lot of usefulness for a person wearing designed clothes to look sharp.
However many of the other wearers of 5.11 and similar gear, I have taken to calling tactical chavs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav.

Don't be a tactical chav.

Return to “Survival Experiences”