Since it doesn't look like anyone else has started one, I'm starting an after action review/pics thread for Chapter 001's Wintergeddon 2012 trip.
I didn't get to spend the whole weekend. I had my son with me, and between the colder than expected temps and the lack of anyone to play with, he decided to bail on Saturday afternoon.
However, up to that point, we had a pretty decent time.
Here's pics to prove it:
I think I might have packed too much....
My kid missing his Playstation.
Dan wins a bag of Slim Jims for "Most Macho Campsite".
Breakfast Saturday morning.
My kid enjoys a tasty beverage.
wool socks, long johns, wool sleeping bag liner, 10* bag, AND a comforter thrown over the top. This kid was cozy.
Wokka! Wokka! Wokka!
1. Pack light: I had to carry half of my kid's gear and all of mine. I brought WAY too much extra clothing, and my HUGE car camping mess kit, and a bunch of other junk I didn't need. If I had planned better, I could have cut my load almost in half. As it was, the hike in and out was pretty miserable.
2. Test your gear: I bought a game-hauling pack frame off of Craigslist a day or two before the hike, because my existing frame pack was too small for all the crap I thought I needed. Long story short, it was garbage. It was missing the stiffening rods, the hip belt sagged, and the shoulder straps where razor thin. I've remedied that, but had to deal with it during the trip.
3. Teaching your kid how to use an axe is the scariest thing you will do in your life.
4. Bringing the proper sleeping bags and blankets will save your fucking life.
5. I now know why lumberjacks love chainsaws. Axes take forever.
6. Always read the "Tiger Clause".
7. My friends are awesome badasses who are not PG13 under any circumstances.
8. My 8 year old is more hardcore than 99% of the American public.
I had fun, wish I could have stayed another night.