When people find out you're a prepper

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

landser

Re: When people find out you're a prepper

Post by landser » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:20 am

raptor wrote:The terms survivalist and prepper have been used as synonyms for years. Each has it own baggage. None of that baggage is useful IMO.

I prefer to discuss "hurricane/disaster preparation" when the subject comes up. I would suggest that you use disaster preparation instead of either of the aforementioned terms.
I agree with this statement wholeheartedly I like to dicsuss natural and man made disasters and or in terms of natural "crisis" or man made "crisis"
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:20 am

I use Zombie Apocalypse, but that's me. I then use the ZS line that if you're ready for zombies the rest is cake and I'm getting ready for zombies by going after the little things like floods, fires, tornadoes, etc. So yeah, zombies, but that's the in and the stuff I talk about seriously are the likely disasters.

I'm not quite in people's faces about prepping, but when asked I don't become appologetic. I also try to be aware of when I sound like I'm a bit "out there" (beyond the zombies - when the dead walk the Earth I'm gonna win a $50 bet) and call it for what it is - a bit out there but I'm at least making plans for the future and for a guy that's gone through what I have that's not a bad place to be.
Last edited by Tater Raider on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Ho! I just met a Prepper, and a somewhat closet Prepper too (like me), at least in our common environment. A word in conversation clued me and we are quietly talking about such things. Kool.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Here's a good one. My recently ex-GF and I have been working together for some time, and I EDC a belt with 2 multitools, a tac light and a lighter on it, and seeing as I've been gaining weight without getting new clothes, it probly looks like I'm carrying a pair of holstered 1911's under my shirt. No one has ever said anything to me about it. I got her a cheap Jeep folder which she wore ONCE in her pocket, and they were making comments about her being the only white kid in the ghetto growing up. That being said, one of my office coworkers Facebook posted including SHTF, and sure enough I found out there are peppers when/where you'd least expect it.
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Tank Woman

Post by Tank Woman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Thats awesome zombieprep!
I also just found out my best friend since high school and her husband are starting to think about prepping! I actually am the one who brought it up. She is the sort of person I can tell anything, and I mean ANYTHING to without fear, so I wasnt worried. Imagine my surprise when I found out they were doin' it too. :D

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Honestly, I wasn't a prepper until about five or six years ago. Watching the news footage about Hurricane Katrina opened my eyes a bit to how badly a natural disaster can screw up your day, but didn't really get into prepping seriously until I found ZS. In a way, ZS was the catalyst that started me on my way to prepping.

As for what happens when people find out I'm a prepper, I've never really done anything that would let people know about it. I tend to be very low key about my personal life and my hobbies. If they ask, then I mention it, but after I get to know them and gauge their reactions. Some reactions are good and some are bad. I just have to deal with it when the time comes.

On one occasion, I mentioned wanting to be self sufficient and the response I got was overwhelmingly negative. It was like wanting to do so made me some kind of whackjob and a danger to society because of it. After the person I was talking to started in on how it was a bad thing while spewing a bunch of made up statistics and comparing me to a certain group in Waco, I excused myself and left before they could spew any more BS in my direction. I knew nothing I would say could convince the person otherwise, so I left.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:47 pm

recently I tagged along with my wife while she got a quick trim at her hair stylist. As I waited and busied myself with the internetz via my iphone, i hear my wife telling her stylist about this crazy group I'm into who are "all into zombies and disasters and guns", then I hear the stylist asking me "are you a prepper?" and I'm taken aback to hear someone in a chichi, down town San Francisco hair salon using the right lingo, I reluctantly acknowledge her question. "I'm dating a prepper" she says. Then we all talked about going to the shooting range.
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I did not see that coming.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 pm

i discover that my step father is also a *kinda* prepper. but he call his BoB's his "just in case" kit.

just in case he need it. at least he prepare himself for some scenario.

he have many tools, edges tools, cord, chain etc in every vehicle he own.

so he accept pretty well that i am a prepper.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

OFR Gunny

Post by OFR Gunny » Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 pm

I work 60+ miles from home so my Molle II pack, ~50lbs, is set up for an extended stay in the PRof DC. I am retired USMC and work in the area of the Nationals Stadium.

When I started serious SHTF plans and started carrying the bag with me from home to office and back again, I recieved the usual jokes and comments:
Hey, Gunny, how many bodies do you keep in that thing?
Gunny,do you need all that stuff?
Isn't that heavy?
A Ka-Bar? Is this legal? (It was provided to cut a cake and yes it is.)
You wear that when you go out to PT for lunch? You ain't a Marine anymore, you know. (Oh,HA HA HA) (At top speed, I can cover 4 mph. Can't do it for an extended time, but still for a 50+yo old chubby guy...)

After the Great earthquake of '11, the jibes and laughter all but ceased. I was asked to and gave a class on individual preps. Having a plan for disasters away from home and ppl noticing it put a different perspective on the crazy Marine's plan. (For those in CA, understand that this was a VERY traumatic event for liflelong residents here. Most every natural disaster we have some sort of heads up for. For me, it was cool to have been in an earthquake every place I have been stationed.)

Now, I get more questions on what and how, the guards have never searched my bag (5 minutes every week or so to shoot the shit with them helps) and knowing that I can help myself and others has been a boon to my life. When someone really gets thier panties in a wad, I tell them that the more I can do for myself, the more the responders can do for others. That pretty much shuts the wide eyed OMG conservation down.

And being able to use the EDC neck carry tools is cool as well and less threatening than reaching into my bag of tricks. So for an awkard start, it has turned out well.

OFR Gunny Doug

out
Last edited by OFR Gunny on Wed May 02, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saw this in a cartoon once, but I think I can do it.

No man is wanted who does not come voluntarily to the standard of his country.
Brevet Brigadier General Archibald Henderson 5th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1820-1859

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Wed May 02, 2012 12:56 pm

...they tell me they're coming to my house when TSHTF. :x
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

OFR Gunny

Post by OFR Gunny » Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 pm

DJH wrote:...they tell me they're coming to my house when TSHTF. :x
I am in good with the neighbors. One is a firefighter and the other is a USA Ranger from back in the 70's. We know that we can count on one another and have shareable skills. We all help the widow next door and it is understood that she will be cared for whatever the emergency.

OFR Gunny Doug

out
I saw this in a cartoon once, but I think I can do it.

No man is wanted who does not come voluntarily to the standard of his country.
Brevet Brigadier General Archibald Henderson 5th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1820-1859

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm

OFR Gunny wrote:
I am in good with the neighbors. One is a firefighter and the other is a USA Ranger from back in the 70's. We know that we can count on one another and have shareable skills. We all help the widow next door and it is understood that she will be cared for whatever the emergency.

OFR Gunny Doug

out
Now that's cool. Sounds like a good community for a SHTF situation.

I'm in good with most of my neighbors but the one thing we all really have in common is a shared hatred of our HOA (and the compliance officer.)

My general response is "Sure, but I probably won't be there anymore by the time you get there." :mrgreen:

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed May 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Some of the best response I've ever seen were here on ZS, like "Can't you find a nicer driveway than mine to get shot in?", which is my personal favorite. It's tough to lay it out in a clear way without hurting people's feelings, but it's important, I feel, that those who have not been invited understand that the invitations have all been sent. They won't be getting one. And showing up without one would be hazardous to their health. Most of the time, I simply change the subject while giving them a look that says "no- bad idea".
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:44 pm

the best answer i heard about people wanted to get to someone house.
"i'm ready to help SOME people, but i'm not ready to pull out the food from my children mouth to feed a stranger"
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Winston Smith » Wed May 02, 2012 4:08 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote: Some of the best response I've ever seen were here on ZS, like "Can't you find a nicer driveway than mine to get shot in?"
That's awesome, and I fully intend to modify it for use when talking about the possibility of the invasion of my cheap ass apartment.

Truly, for the dope heads in my neighborhood, taking a load of 000 buck center mass while crossing my doorway or window sill may be worth the short glimpse of a clean and sanitary living environment.

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:56 am

BloodbathPB wrote:
KnightoftheRoc wrote: Some of the best response I've ever seen were here on ZS, like "Can't you find a nicer driveway than mine to get shot in?"
That's awesome, and I fully intend to modify it for use when talking about the possibility of the invasion of my cheap ass apartment.

Truly, for the dope heads in my neighborhood, taking a load of 000 buck center mass while crossing my doorway or window sill may be worth the short glimpse of a clean and sanitary living environment.
... I don't think that's really in good taste, man...
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 am

My current response to "I'm coming to your house" has been to inform them that I move the claymores every few weeks, and getting the updated map costs $300 per month, which will happily be put toward buying prep supplies for all of us. Not takers yet, but once or twice that's lead to the "$300 per month? What do you buy with that?" That, in turn leads to "Oh...So I could start prepping for $100 a month?"

Occasionally, the claymore response gets a laugh, which turns into a nervous chuckle, and then "Wait...are you serious?" It helps when people remember that month when I did the improvised explosives course.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Winston Smith » Thu May 03, 2012 1:05 pm

jehicks87 wrote:
BloodbathPB wrote:

... I don't think that's really in good taste, man...
It was mostly sarcastic, and probably a little brash. I just get irritated because other tenants prop the doors open and the people in the neighborhood stomp up/down the stairs outside my appt door at all hours...

Misspellings courtesy of iPhone, so sue me. Go ahead, take away my birthday!

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm

My friends all did the I just coming to your house.

I just told them if you don't show up with your own supplies and skills I can use your not getting in.
Beretta accept no substitute.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Doc Torr wrote:My current response to "I'm coming to your house" has been to inform them that I move the claymores every few weeks, and getting the updated map costs $300 per month, which will happily be put toward buying prep supplies for all of us. Not takers yet, but once or twice that's lead to the "$300 per month? What do you buy with that?" That, in turn leads to "Oh...So I could start prepping for $100 a month?"

Occasionally, the claymore response gets a laugh, which turns into a nervous chuckle, and then "Wait...are you serious?" It helps when people remember that month when I did the improvised explosives course.
I may 'borrow' this one. It helps when they know you just well enough to consider the deadpan look something like this is delivered with as good reason to be thinking "I'm pretty sure he freakin MEANS it!". Bonus points if you've got any 'incidents' in your past to re-inforce this impression. This is also going to tie nicely into my plan to mark my property perimeter with USGI "MINES" markers. It's not illegal to put up a sign, just to actually plant landmines. Let them think it over- did he, or didn't he?
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu May 03, 2012 5:20 pm

I tell people that I'm more interested in being prepared for one of the natural events that are not uncommon in Michigan, like an ice storm or tornado. Then I tell them about the very long thread here about why going to Wal-Mart is a bad idea.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later...nicely gory.
Shaun of the Dead
Anything with Keanu Reeves...oh...he's NOT a zombie? Wow. Coulda fooled me...

Post by Lambykins » Sun May 06, 2012 12:42 am

I started prepping a l-o-n-g time ago. I had 7 kids and keeping a huge amount of food in the house was a necessity. I always over bought when I had the money and saved what money I could to put into savings for when it was desperately needed.
Those habits stayed with me, even after the kids were grown.
One of my older sisters thinks my being a prepper is absolutely nuts.
She thinks any extra money I have should go into buying the newest car or electronic gizmos, a big t.v., etc.
She thinks it is CRAZY that I have food supplies for 6 months stored.
She thinks it is RIDICULOUS that I have 200 gallons of water stored.
She has around a weeks worth of food MAX in her house, and no water storage. No garden, either. Doesn't know how to bake or can or dehydrate. Most of her family's food comes from the Schawn truck or local take out places...she works such long hours...
She is employed in a very high paying job.
In Washington, D.C.
As a disaster response manager. :shock:
SHE is one of the people that decides what supplies and responses to send to areas of the US that get hit by hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, blizzards, etc.
Yeah...guess if the *expert* thinks I am nuts, I must be... :roll:
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 am

Lambykins wrote:I started prepping a l-o-n-g time ago. I had 7 kids and keeping a huge amount of food in the house was a necessity. I always over bought when I had the money and saved what money I could to put into savings for when it was desperately needed.
Those habits stayed with me, even after the kids were grown.
One of my older sisters thinks my being a prepper is absolutely nuts.
She thinks any extra money I have should go into buying the newest car or electronic gizmos, a big t.v., etc.
She thinks it is CRAZY that I have food supplies for 6 months stored.
She thinks it is RIDICULOUS that I have 200 gallons of water stored.
She has around a weeks worth of food MAX in her house, and no water storage. No garden, either. Doesn't know how to bake or can or dehydrate. Most of her family's food comes from the Schawn truck or local take out places...she works such long hours...
She is employed in a very high paying job.
In Washington, D.C.
As a disaster response manager. :shock:
SHE is one of the people that decides what supplies and responses to send to areas of the US that get hit by hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, blizzards, etc.
Yeah...guess if the *expert* thinks I am nuts, I must be... :roll:
That is truly frightening. :shock:

Return to “Survival Experiences”