When people find out you're a prepper

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Danger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: When people find out you're a prepper

Post by Danger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:30 am

I've sort of given up trying to educate people. There was a time in the US when it was a given that you were prepared and able to take care of yourself, now it is a crazy notion.

I think the other benefit of not trying to fight a losing battle is OPSEC, I've had too many of the "well if a disaster hits I'll just come to your house hahaha, just kidding....well not really."
(Insert witty comment here)

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am

Danger wrote:I've sort of given up trying to educate people. There was a time in the US when it was a given that you were prepared and able to take care of yourself, now it is a crazy notion.

I think the other benefit of not trying to fight a losing battle is OPSEC, I've had too many of the "well if a disaster hits I'll just come to your house hahaha, just kidding....well not really."
I'm had that coversation with friends. They tell me "I'm coming to your house!" and my response is "If it's a short term thing like a storm, and you just need somewhere warm, fine. If there is a real disaster and you show up without food or water and try to get into my house I'm going to shoot you."

It makes for a bit of Butt-Hurt at that moment, but hopefully I won't have to shoot them later.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:48 am

People usually make fun of things when they are insecure. This is the case with being a prepper. When I say I do it to protect my family, because it's my job as a husband/dad to keep my family safe, even if that means prepping for unlikely scenarios. That usually opens up a flood of questions about it, and 9 times out of 10 the person ends up doing some prepping themselves.

Crazy Wolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Crazy Wolf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Danger wrote:...I think the other benefit of not trying to fight a losing battle is OPSEC, I've had too many of the "well if a disaster hits I'll just come to your house hahaha, just kidding....well not really."
When I get to a situation where I can prepare for stuff, if this happens, I intend to be able to greet them with a cheerful smile and an estimate for the supplies, room, and board for which I'd be charging them. If I like them or they'd work well in a shitty situation, probably waive/lessen the board fee.

This has the benefit of strongly suggesting that they get their own damn preps, as well as the added potential benefit of more manpower/resources should they actually be interested in coming over during a bad situation. It's best to have someone to watch your back, y'know?
Nim's text key: SARCASM, WTF R U DOIN, Nice, I like, Inane statement
The phrase "surgical strike" might be more acceptable if it were common to perform surgery with high explosives. (G. Carlin)
ImageImage

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Several Years ago we had an "ice Storm" like no one has ever seen, we have municipal services, water sewer, electric, This being said years before we had a micro-burst (like a tornado in hot weather) After that I saw a need to have a generator, several weeks of food easily cooked, several gallons of gas(with seafoam so it didnt go bad) and a couple of gallons of coleman fuel, well in 1998 we were without power for 20 days, I had my generator, my food, and even some kerosene for my kerosun, My wife before this would kid me about my "bunker mentality" But when everyone had no power and we were very well prepared well I dont get kidded anymore.

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 am

Just out of curiosity; have any of you had positive responses when people find out you're a prepper? I ask because I'm really new to the prepping world (as in I'm researching about it, and barely started) and I would love to run into somebody in my social circle that I had yet to know was a prepper. I would probably bug the bajeezus out of them with my questions and enthusiasm. There's got to be some love out there...right?
That which is not good for the bee-hive cannot be good for the bees. Marcus Aurelius

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:13 pm

There are the ones that do not understand and I am fine wiht that. I will even help further perpetuate myths with them.

The majority of folks I meet see that I am not too weird (PDX perspective) and go, "Whoa, Gabe is not a kooky gun-nut survivalist lone wolf." There is sometihing to be said about fitting into a norm dictated by society. It was once said to me: Be a part of the world but not of it. Spending some time of my life (my 20s) trying to put up a wall between me and normal American society taught me the futility of that unless you were extraordinary, and that is something I am not. I'm an average dude, just like a lot of other people are (the majority), and that is 100% fine.

I like the city just as much as I like the country and, in general, I like people. This comes out in my attitude and demeanor and is noted by others, thus when people dsicover I am a survivalist-type they are comfortable with it. Some non-gun folks have even commented, "Well, if anyone gets a gun all the time, it's Gabe."
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Kusala wrote:Just out of curiosity; have any of you had positive responses when people find out you're a prepper? I ask because I'm really new to the prepping world (as in I'm researching about it, and barely started) and I would love to run into somebody in my social circle that I had yet to know was a prepper. I would probably bug the bajeezus out of them with my questions and enthusiasm. There's got to be some love out there...right?
Yes, but my position in my community is of the guy that will teach you about prepping. Since I am approachable (and cheap) I am asked to speak and give tutorials a few times a year.
President ZSC011

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:47 pm

I must say, the responses I get have by and large, vastly improved since over the last 6 months we've had tornado touchdowns and two week+ long power outages here. Its gone from chiding and a chuckle to a more "I wish I had thought of that" kind of response. I also don't get into detail, particularly about longer-term plans, until I've read a receptive attitude.

As to the "I'm coming to your house" thing, I don't get a lot of that. Most people who know me even casually know I hunt, so there's an assumption that I'm armed. And the people that are on the "wont get shot" list already know who they are.

ETA- If there is an issue, it generally has something to do with the gun issue. I've considered totally clamming up about it in anything but totally friendly environments, but have decided I can't. Its part of the discussion, and it is my duty IMHO to be a rational, nice, affable guy who also owns firearms for defensive purposes, and wont hide or apologize for it.
Winter is Coming

Davo

Post by Davo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:20 pm

MVegas893.1 wrote:... and it is my duty IMHO to be a rational, nice, affable guy who also owns firearms for defensive purposes, and wont hide or apologize for it.
We need more of this.
Image Image

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Davo wrote:
MVegas893.1 wrote:... and it is my duty IMHO to be a rational, nice, affable guy who also owns firearms for defensive purposes, and wont hide or apologize for it.
We need more of this.
Yes. Gunshows in PDX taught me that. I don't go to them and don't act like the guys in them... which would be rational, nice, affable guy who also owns firearms for defensive purposes. It's been awhile since I've been to one htough so maybe things have changed but the Xmas one was just 2 weeks ago and I did not go. Oh well, another in a month and a half.
President ZSC011

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:01 pm

It varies by who's finding out. I'm in a very international environment, and generally speaking most other cultures don't have a distinct problem with keeping a food supply around or having gear to get you through tight spots. They may not do it personally, but there's no animosity or mockery like you'll find in Western culture. When people gradually observe that I always have a lot of gear on me or that I have supplies, I've yet to have any negative reactions. If anything, people just ask to borrow things more and I get questions about what to buy or use.

Sometimes it's not the habits, but the person with them. I'm a small guy with long hair and a collection of fedoras, most people just see me as incredibly laid back and eccentric. Now, if I constantly wore BDU components, had a buzzcut, commented on politics and public attitudes constantly, and made an identity out of being a survivalist...I might catch some flak. I've sat side-by-side with these guys, and while I'll party with them and train with them, those choices can attract unwanted attention and social stigmas. There's a big difference between having a casual bag with you that has everything, and having a mall ninja rucksack that looks like you just static-line jumped to your philosophy class. I own a giant ruck, BDUs, black weapons, the whole deal...And if asked, I'll defend why people own these things in a reasonable manner without any tension. A lot of animosity people report may not be toward their prepping habits, it may just be how they present it and act about it.

For example...I play D&D. I've told stories about it at fraternity parties and to college athletes, and by the end of the night these very mainstream people want to join a game group because of how I portray it. There's a guy in my game group who resembles the stereotype when it comes to bathing habits and physique, and he talks to people outside the culture (and newcomers) with an extremely elitist and alienating tone. It's like meeting the human version of Comic Book Guy, he regards everyone outside his niche as inferior, and people getting into his niche like idiots. I'd be lying if I said I've never seen this in the prepping community. However, when you're realistic, approachable, and knowledgeable...Just watch, people will start to understand.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

ScrappyDood

Post by ScrappyDood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:49 pm

---
Last edited by ScrappyDood on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsycoBob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by PsycoBob » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Simple stuff is easy, even moreso when an emergency has sharpened memories. Major preps are harder, but just keeping the pantry a bit fuller is an easy thing to convince people of.

Especially when I mention the name of this forum to new people, I have to make sure to state that it includes people that range from 'Boy Scout Preparedness' to "Tinfoil-hat lunatics'... and that even the tinfoil-hat crazy people among us are nice people with useful ideas, as long as we don't question their particular crazy.

I prefer to mention the Martha Stewart moments like this one. :D It's cool, useful, pretty.... and from a site called zombiehunters.org :oops:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=83824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:56 pm

PsycoBob wrote:Simple stuff is easy, even moreso when an emergency has sharpened memories. Major preps are harder, but just keeping the pantry a bit fuller is an easy thing to convince people of.

Especially when I mention the name of this forum to new people, I have to make sure to state that it includes people that range from 'Boy Scout Preparedness' to "Tinfoil-hat lunatics'... and that even the tinfoil-hat crazy people among us are nice people with useful ideas, as long as we don't question their particular crazy.

I prefer to mention the Martha Stewart moments like this one. :D It's cool, useful, pretty.... and from a site called zombiehunters.org :oops:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=83824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I completely agree. For some of us, it is actually easier to explain the zombies to our nearest friends than the major preps...

I just went back thru the Lessons from Irene thread. Martha Stewart has nothing on ODA 226! 8-)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Basil Duke

Post by Basil Duke » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:02 am

I'm generally laughed at - this, even though I live in St. Louis (earthquake central and host to a thriving zombie colony). When I was a married man, I created a "Calamity Room" in our basement, and incrementally filled it with survival supplies (canned and dried food, toilet paper, candles, personal hygiene items, firearms, ammo, LOTS of water, etc.) My wife expressed zero interest in this. And friends intimated that I had taken my loathing of the left just too darned far. (I was now, in their minds, a full-fledged, rightwing wacko.) For my part, I could never understand why these folks weren't interested in ensuring that their children would have food and water in the event of a disaster - or toilet paper, illumination, bandaids and what not. There was a disconnect in them that I had no interest or energy in fixing - particularly after enduring their insults. Today, I'm an apartment dweller, and have taken the very same precautions as I did with the Calamity Room. Now, however, it's a Calamity Closet.

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:36 pm

raptor wrote:
MADic wrote:
raptor wrote:The terms survivalist and prepper have been used as synonyms for years. Each has it own baggage. None of that baggage is useful IMO.

I prefer to discuss "hurricane/disaster preparation" when the subject comes up. I would suggest that you use disaster preparation instead of either of the aforementioned terms.
Well the context was in an academic setting, in a sociology class, in which I was presenting the prepper identity in social science terms. I wasn't just telling everyone they should prep, I was just trying to explain why people prep.
Ok well another way to phrase it is to compare it to insurance. Prepping is just another form of insurance. We know a car accident is possible despite how much we want to avoid one, thus we carry car insurance. The same for homeowners/renters insurance.

Accordingly a supply of food, water and a FAK is also the same as insurance. However since you can eat the food and drink the water the cost is much lower.
Yeah, but many people wouldn't buy car insurance if they weren't forced to.
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Probably because it's expensive when one works two or three part-time jobs (because no one hires full time workers in one's area) and none offers health insurance.
That money must first go to doctors or landlords.
That's the reason I prep for, and buy car insurance for, more people than just myself and ZombieGramps.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:47 pm

As far as my preparations are noted by other people, they tend to consider that I am a trouble maker rather than preparing to avoid the trouble. As it is with being on the periphery of a groups philosophical domain, it tends to make you stick out as either part of a solution or part of a problem, but never ever like the observer who is stuck in the mindless chaos of it all...
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

Florida_Tony

Post by Florida_Tony » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Beanhead wrote:Yeah, but many people wouldn't buy car insurance if they weren't forced to.
For me, it's all about rational risk management.

High Risk & High Probability Situations
These are no-brainers. We MUST prepare for these because they are likely, and devastating. Wearing a seat belt is a good example. The probability is relatively high (compared to getting struck by lightening), and the damage can be severe.

Low Risk & Low Probability Situations
These are also no-brainers. We don't need to worry about them because they probably won't happen, and even if they do, no biggie.

Low Risk & High Probability Situations
These are annoying. Power outages are common in some areas. They don't do much damage, but they are likely, so many choose to prepare.

High Risk & Low Probability Situations
These are the ones that confuse people the most. Fires are not very likely, but holy shit they can be devastating! The same is true of a home defense situation.

When talking to people, I like to find out where they stand on these scenarios. I live in Florida, so I ask if they are prepared for hurricanes. Do they have extra fire extinguishers? Renter's insurance? And so on.

Great thread!

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:01 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Probably because it's expensive when one works two or three part-time jobs (because no one hires full time workers in one's area) and none offers health insurance.
That money must first go to doctors or landlords.
That's the reason I prep for, and buy car insurance for, more people than just myself and ZombieGramps.
I meant that many people don't see the need for car insurance and some of those that do still wouldn't buy it if it wasn't mandatory. I would go as far as to say that many people have only negative experience when dealing with insurance (because just like the police, you normally only deal with insurers during bad situations) and therefore using insurance as an argument for prepping may elicit a negative response by the association of the two. My statement wasn't against insurance, it was against using the insurance argument for prepping.
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

scuro

Post by scuro » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:57 am

raptor wrote:Agreed the ready.gov site has resources that cite official government policy (never mind simple common sense) to encourage every one to have basic preparations of 3 days of food and water.

http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say, that in terms of 3 days, what I lack is the Noaa radio and dust mask.

bcvojak

Post by bcvojak » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:31 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
Davo wrote:Yes. Gunshows in PDX taught me that. I don't go to them and don't act like the guys in them... which would be rational, nice, affable guy who also owns firearms for defensive purposes. It's been awhile since I've been to one htough so maybe things have changed but the Xmas one was just 2 weeks ago and I did not go. Oh well, another in a month and a half.
The PDX and Clark County shows have been pretty mellow the past couple years. A lot less of the Rambo types guys strutting around and more "average' looking guys (and families). You can still buy all of the black rifles and stuff, but there are a lot fewer tables set up with military themes, and "don't-tread-on-me" flags as such. Been a while since I've seen any Nazi memorabilia tables either. Maybe I'm jut getting better at ignoring all that stuff and don't notice it.

Just not sure that there are that many deals at the shows anymore. Except perhaps on ammo and shooting supplies.
BCVojak
Pacific NW

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:19 pm

KnifeStyle wrote: Sometimes it's not the habits, but the person with them. Now, if I had a buzz cut, commented on politics and public attitudes constantly
Please forgive the clipping of the full quote, but I agree with this. I work with several people who meet that description, and want as little to do with them as possible. They manage to work their religious and political viewpoints into the most trivial of things, and it's not helpful.

On the other hand, I'll join other coworkers in a discussion on hurricane preparedness where these topics aren't drenched in politics and religion. I've had some very good talks about the subject with these people and welcome what they have to say.

Return to “Survival Experiences”