Detecting Life

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Hollowpoint26
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead 1990, Dawn of the Dead

Detecting Life

Post by Hollowpoint26 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:20 am

During a ride-along with a local LEO we responded to a call of a woman that had found her husband dead in his room after she returned from a weekend trip. I never thought much about this, but you know that feeling you get when someone is in the room, even if you can't see them you can still sense them. Well, it only applies to living beings. Because there was nothing that made me feel like someone was in that room. Because he was dead, he had as much effect on my senses as the bed or carpet did. I am not sure of the science behind it, though I am positive there is a good explanation. I just found it worth noting.
Semper Paratus
Leadership is influencing people by providing purpose, direction, and motivation while operating to accomplish the mission and improving the organization.

bonanacrom

Re: Detecting Life

Post by bonanacrom » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:54 am

Sorry but I wouldn't rely on " sensing " someone. Way to many times have hunters walked right up to me in the bush that I would tap them on the shoulder, or a friend or family member would come into a room and go about there business only to be startled moments later when the catch a glance at me. I don't dismiss people can get a sense about something but I feel it is more likely something registering with the brain and it tries to bring it to are attention. A sound we weren't aware of stopped or one started we didn't know we heard. Sound, smell, visual movement, animals require two before they " know " something is up, people do it with one even if they aren't always aware of it.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Post by 1776 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:10 pm

I think it may be possible to sense someone, but you have to be paying attention to whats going on around you. And when hollowpoint26 was doing that ride along, him and the leo knew what to expect when they got there, so mabey there was nothing to "sense" when he was in that house. I could be wrong, but its an idea.
There's always some motherfucker trying to ice skate uphill...

Gyrfalcon

Post by Gyrfalcon » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:15 pm

I've felt life leaving before. One second you're touching a living being, and the next, you've got your hand on a thing.

It's beyond science.

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:44 am

Gyrfalcon wrote:I've felt life leaving before. One second you're touching a living being, and the next, you've got your hand on a thing.

It's beyond science.
Me too. I think of it as the "spark" going out of someone. I've been the only one in a crowded room that knew the patient just died. It's not so much beyond science, as it's beyond our currently accepted science. It's kind of like when you enter a room where violence has just happened; there's almost an electric "smell" present, even over the smell of blood.

OP: Thanks for your thoughts, this is a useful subject. While I'm out on a non-scientific limb, I'll also say that in some situations, the high emotions of family present can have an impact on you as well. It's important to "clean yourself off" for lack of a better term. You don't want to carry that stuff with you.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Return to “Survival Experiences”