Proud of our pup!

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wisconsin_cur

Re: Proud of our pup!

Post by wisconsin_cur » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:23 am

72hours wrote: Haha, when we first got the chickens, one got out, and it was off like a rocket, Roger was onto it though! Grabbed the thing and pinned it, was just about ready to pluck the thing clean when I started yelling at him to leave it, and he didn't. He soon learned that "leave" means leave, I laid him on the ground and made the chicken walk all over him until he learned what leave meant. There's a lot you can train dogs to do, even if it goes against their instincts. That said, I did WANT him to bite the guy, and I did WANT to shove 3 feet of maple into one of his orifices, but then my best friend would have been put down, and I would have spent some time in court, if not in jail.......

I trained my JRT to catch chickens on the command "chook" and me pointing at the chicken that I want. He pins them to the ground with his front paws and waits for me to come. When I have a hold of the bird, he releases on the command of "give." This is great when they are out in the yard or some go semi-feral. I don't use the command that often, he enjoys the game too much. Only once, however, has he played the game without me.

Let me add to the chorus, "Good Dog!"
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:34 am

Good dog, good story!

Just one little nit-picky item, because I like animals and love dogs:
72hours wrote:Anyways, fast forward a year, lots of science diet food
I'm not going to recommend a particular brand, but please, please, do a little bit of reading up. Hill's Science Diet is one of the lower-rated dog foods out there. There's better stuff out there for your fuzzy buddy.

(But, on the bright side, at least you're not feeding him Old Roy.)

72hours

Post by 72hours » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:03 pm

You are right, but it's better than Tux and champ and they sponsor my wife's school, so we get it cheap. I'm looking into raw food diets now too....

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:05 am

Good dog :) He's a cute little thing too.

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:27 am

72hours wrote:You are right, but it's better than Tux and champ and they sponsor my wife's school, so we get it cheap. I'm looking into raw food diets now too....
I just wanted to say that I hope I didn't come across as dick-ish. It's just the older I get, the more of a "feed your pups right" activist I seem to become. :)

anythingshiny
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dig the fast zombies a'la 28 days/weeks and the funny ones Shaun/Zombieland

Post by anythingshiny » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:29 pm

We have a rescue Border Collie mix that has different noises for deer, possums in the garbage and people. Very similar story as she made the 'people' noise at 3 am. I greeting the vandal breaking into my jeep with an 870 PMAX while the wife sat inside with 911 and a 19. All turned out well but I think I will make different choices next time. There was no 'real' need to confront the boogey man but dammit I was mad that he was rifling thru MY car. Anyway....good that this turned out well.
OODA ( Observe, Over react, Destroy, Apologize )

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:22 am

Good Doggy!

My Little Dachsund is brave and crazy like that too. He treed 4 Raccoons one time and alerted me numerous times to Tweekers in the yard back when I lived in an ugly neighborhood.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Return to “Survival Experiences”