CERT experiences?

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vel454

CERT experiences?

Post by Vel454 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm looking forward to going through CERT this fall, through my local fire dept. Who here has gone through it? How'd you feel about your experiences going through CERT? And have you had the chance to use any of your training yet?
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Re: CERT experiences?

Post by jackal556 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:23 pm

I've actually trained 3 CERT teams in my area. The program is very good and was recently updated by FEMA earlier this year. So, yeah. Definitely do it.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Post by carolinafan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:09 pm

The wife and I are taking the class at the end of this month. We're really excited. I'll let you know how it goes.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:12 am

I completed CERT in May of 2010, and liked it. Our team has not been utilized, but I have taken a supplemental education course since then.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

My local CERT team became active last year and I joined and went through their program. It was overwhelmingly positive.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 pm

I was on a CERT team before I joined the military. It's a good program that I rather liked. I plan to get back into it once I get out and settle down in one spot so to speak.
Absit invidia.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Wow, a lot of great props. I'm stoked to take it ^.^
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

FRO-MAN

Post by FRO-MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:37 pm

whatever
Last edited by FRO-MAN on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 am

IMHO, a CERT needs to get together one a quarter, even just to meet and discuss things. That really requires some leadership within the group. FB for the group is another option. That could tie in all the applicable other FBs as well (ie. ZS, FEMA, local emergency management (this is the one for my office http://www.facebook.com/pgh.ema" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), etc.)

i met with one of our CERTs yesterday. We trained over a dozen over a year ago, and we had only 6 come to the meeting (another 3 couldn't make it). We passed out larger ARC FAKs to supplement the smaller FAKs in the CERT kits.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Post by carolinafan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Wife and I just finished our CERT class today, and I have to say I learned a couple of things about my city that I didn't know, hazard wise. The whole thing was very educational. I'm looking forward to becoming more involved with the group as time goes on.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

EvilTOJ
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil movies

Post by EvilTOJ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:47 am

Definitely do it. It's also really low pressure so if all you want to do is learn about disaster safety it's a good course to take.
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'm just going to surround my house with outward facing treadmills.
I should be fine.

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Thankfully, the universe didn't explode from the irony, but when I took the class, the date for our second session had to be changed because of ---------- bad weather..........

I've been to a active shooter drill, tornado drill, and Point of Distribution/hospital evac drill.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

funkychicken

Post by funkychicken » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 pm

FRO-MAN wrote:whatever
I've seen this message above from Fro-Man before. What's It's problem? If you don't like what is being said don't read it.
I am Funkychicken, and I approve this message.

Xale D

Post by Xale D » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

A bit of thread resurrection here, but I didn't see a need to start a new thread about CERT.

My work, the second largest community college in the US, has just started a College Community Emergency Response Team (C-CERT). Our first class was today, and covered an overview of what we can expect from the training, and what will be expected of us as C-CERT members. The program is being run by our Office of Emergency Management, and we, as the first people through the program, will be assisting the instructors on tailoring the class to the needs of College employees.

I'll be updating this thread with my experiences and thoughts as we go through the program. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.
--
Xale D
I am an assistant, I assist.

SuperBanki
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, campiness at it's best.

Post by SuperBanki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:03 am

What's the CERT experience actually like? I'm debating about trying to join up with the one near me, as I have no formal training and wish to get some. How extensive is the training?
Polie wrote: I couldn't live with out smokes, coffee, chocodiles, and Gold Bonds Medicated foot powder for the ol' giggle stick. (It's like a thousand dancing ferries.)
Regular Guy wrote:Just FYI, it is lawful for the police to use one level of force above the criminals level of force. I'd say using a gun is one level above face chewing. YMMV.

carolinafan

Post by carolinafan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 am

It's not super in depth, but they do give you a nifty manual that has all the procedures of things the teams usually take care of. You'll probably learn something about your community that you didn't know prior. You'll get an overview of a lot of different things, and our class did a little mock search and rescue drill at the end. It was a lot of fun, I'd highly recommend it to anybody that's interested.

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:31 am

I loved my CERT training! Fun group - over 300 members on my team from all differnt backgrounds.

The drills are great - we even had one during a big snow storm! That was a blast - my wife played a "injured victim". We also get invited to play along with the NYFD, those guys and gals are great.

Take the training, learn a lot and meet new people.

mac66

Post by mac66 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:56 pm

I started a CERT program at the community college I worked at. We provided a lot of training and got to do a lot of stuff with the local city and county police and fire. We had some evac and disaster drills with a large city program and did some decontamination stuff with the local hospital. It was a lot of fun. Some of out people deployed when tornadoes struck an outlying community. Just learning the Incident Command system is good for most people. I used our CERT on campus in the aftermath of a campus shooting a few years ago as supplemental support personnel for my public safety department. It worked well.

Unfortunately I retired about a year and a half ago and I am told the program fell apart under my replacement. I tried to become involved/volunteer in my local city's program but they don't do much of anything.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 pm

ZS:025 (WNC) did one together. our instructor was great, in that he had no problem getting hands on and was able to accelerate things to our level, since the ZS group understood more of the basics than the average class he taught. We also did the class outdoors (we camped out, he did not) which meant that CERT was even more fun.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 am

Up in my neck of the woods CERT are the folks who kick in the doors, not sure if I want those folks to know I have supplies or weapons in a time of Marshall Law or some other Govt. declared orders. Its probably fun to train in the scenerio, but......

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Mon May 21, 2012 6:41 am

In our area, the CERT team I work with only acts within disasters. We leave the door kicking to the LEO's. I was just hired on as an MRMRC Coordinator (part time) so it's time to dust off the uniform and start practicing some disaster drills. Maybe we will plan a nice lil train derailment or airplane crash. :wink:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 am

Belair56 wrote:Up in my neck of the woods CERT are the folks who kick in the doors, not sure if I want those folks to know I have supplies or weapons in a time of Marshall Law or some other Govt. declared orders. Its probably fun to train in the scenerio, but......
Really? If it's not too big an opsec violation, whereabouts are you? Citizen's Emergency Response Teams, are we talking about the same acronym, or is there some other kind of CERT out there?

My CERT barely gets used, it would be for supporting firefighters and police, not doing their jobs. We get all excited about the idea of getting taught to direct traffic, or go scouting thru a neighborhood to find trapped people for the professionals to extricate, stretcher duty for the wounded, and whatever other heavy lifting could be delegated to us. I could see us knocking on doors and yelling "Hello, anyone in there?" but I think most of us wouldn't be agreeable to kicking them down (or know how to do it, even).
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

polliedes

Post by polliedes » Mon May 21, 2012 8:21 am

duodecima wrote:
Belair56 wrote:Up in my neck of the woods CERT are the folks who kick in the doors, not sure if I want those folks to know I have supplies or weapons in a time of Marshall Law or some other Govt. declared orders. Its probably fun to train in the scenerio, but......
Really? If it's not too big an opsec violation, whereabouts are you? Citizen's Emergency Response Teams, are we talking about the same acronym, or is there some other kind of CERT out there?

My CERT barely gets used, it would be for supporting firefighters and police, not doing their jobs. We get all excited about the idea of getting taught to direct traffic, or go scouting thru a neighborhood to find trapped people for the professionals to extricate, stretcher duty for the wounded, and whatever other heavy lifting could be delegated to us. I could see us knocking on doors and yelling "Hello, anyone in there?" but I think most of us wouldn't be agreeable to kicking them down (or know how to do it, even).

not sure about his area but in my area we have a SERT team and they kick in doors. (Sheriff's Emergency Response Team) They are our local equivalent to a SWAT team.
ICRS EMTB

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon May 21, 2012 8:24 am

polliedes wrote:
duodecima wrote:

not sure about his area but in my area we have a SERT team and they kick in doors. (Sheriff's Emergency Response Team) They are our local equivalent to a SWAT team.
Ah! That explains it. CERT is something else, we're vastly underqualified for door kicking (and in my group at least, a lot of us might decline to do so, even if we were...)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Return to “Survival Experiences”