This probably isnt worth a new topic...

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CleaverCO

This probably isnt worth a new topic...

Post by CleaverCO » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 am

But I thought I'd share.

Took my two dogs for a walk today, one is an old girl, about 85 pounds of yellow lab, nearing 9 years old, the other about 55 pounds of Carolina Dog, coming up on her 4th birthday. Both leashed, but having a good time sniffing the local flora.

A big ass, guessing 100 lbs black lab comes around the corner and veers straight at me. Foam coming out the corners of his mouth, digging low for speed, and growling nastily at me and my k9 family.

I think "Oh, fuck" and thats it, he's at my feet. He aims low, and snaps at my ankles, so I try to kick him in the throat, but hit him in the chest. Its like kicking a building, so I reach for my CRKT Zillatool, but its not there, I just jumped out of the shower, barely got dressed and the dogs are crying to go out, so I took them out. Didnt fill my pockets like usual. I'm FUCKED.

My Carolina Dog saw him snap at me, and took over. Ripped a big hole in his muzzle then grabbed his ear and tore a chunk out. Last I saw of the attacking dog was a blood trail and a lot of yipping.

Moral?

If you leave the house, carry SOMETHING. If you don't, have an ex-wild dog that loves you more than life close. Your fat ass yellow lab will cower in a corner.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: This probably isnt worth a new topic...

Post by squinty » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:17 am

Your poor dogs! Glad you're ok, sorry your dogs got scared and another dog had to get hurt.
Make sure your dogs shots are all up to date, check them for bites - even if they weren't bit they were exposed to blood and saliva from the other dog, so a vet visit might be in order.

I notice whenever I leave my Leatherman at home, that's the day I suddenly need a screwdriver, bottle opener, needlenosers or some such.
As far as self defense purposes, my multi-tool would be about the least preferred, last ditch item of EDC that I'd reach for. In my experience a good, high pressure can of OC spray has done wonders for discouraging dog attacks, and I usually have a revolver handy. If the attacking dog is at your feet before you can react, I guess a knife or good pair of boots might be more help than ranged weapons.

I hate seeing dogs fights. It just tears me up.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

madwolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Days of Darkness!

Post by madwolf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:51 pm

That sucks. There was a story in the news here in CO in the last few days where a guy actually had to shoot an attacking dog that came after his pups while out on a routine walk.

Glad you guys came through it relatively unscathed.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Glad your OK and hope those dogs of yours got some steak for dinner...they saved your hide!

I seem to have the same problem. When I leave one of my EDC items out of my pocket when I change clothes, etc, I will invariably need it. Sometimes it's hard to remember them, so I have a cheap pencil box I bought at Wally World that serves as my holding container until I need them. When I change clothes, etc, everything goes into that box. Wallet, change, pocket knife, Leatherman, chap stick, flashlight, etc. When changed, I simply pick through it all and take what I need. Seems to have worked well.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

jojo200517

Post by jojo200517 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm gonna definitely second getting ya dogs checked out at the vet. Foaming at the mouth doesn't sound good, even if it was just drool it'd be better to get them checked now.

Some OC would have definitely been nice, and i'm sure your dogs would forgive ya if you accidentally got them too. Keep in mind tho the stuff can blow back in the wind and if that had happened while the enraged strange dog was still around it could have been very bad for you too.

Handguns and other "ranged weapons" work well up close too but it'd be hard as hell to aim much if being attacked by a dog as much in any other SD situation.

All in all everyone survived so I guess you done did good :)

Oh and TheLastRifleMan, it took me 3 times reading your post to realize "Wall" ment wallet. I was like HOLY CRAP this guy EDC's a spare wall?
AK, Bullpup AK,12g pump (2), PT145, 1911, .357 mag, Mosin Nagant

UndeadContingency449

Post by UndeadContingency449 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 pm

CleaverCO wrote:But I thought I'd share.

Took my two dogs for a walk today, one is an old girl, about 85 pounds of yellow lab, nearing 9 years old, the other about 55 pounds of Carolina Dog, coming up on her 4th birthday. Both leashed, but having a good time sniffing the local flora.

A big ass, guessing 100 lbs black lab comes around the corner and veers straight at me. Foam coming out the corners of his mouth, digging low for speed, and growling nastily at me and my k9 family.

I think "Oh, fuck" and thats it, he's at my feet. He aims low, and snaps at my ankles, so I try to kick him in the throat, but hit him in the chest. Its like kicking a building, so I reach for my CRKT Zillatool, but its not there, I just jumped out of the shower, barely got dressed and the dogs are crying to go out, so I took them out. Didnt fill my pockets like usual. I'm FUCKED.

My Carolina Dog saw him snap at me, and took over. Ripped a big hole in his muzzle then grabbed his ear and tore a chunk out. Last I saw of the attacking dog was a blood trail and a lot of yipping.

Moral?

If you leave the house, carry SOMETHING. If you don't, have an ex-wild dog that loves you more than life close. Your fat ass yellow lab will cower in a corner.

Ditto on the "CARRY SOMETHING"
and sorry about your dogs getting scared.
but really crazy expirience.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much."
-John Wayne

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:36 pm

jojo200517 wrote:I'm gonna definitely second getting ya dogs checked out at the vet. Foaming at the mouth doesn't sound good, even if it was just drool it'd be better to get them checked now.

Some OC would have definitely been nice, and i'm sure your dogs would forgive ya if you accidentally got them too. Keep in mind tho the stuff can blow back in the wind and if that had happened while the enraged strange dog was still around it could have been very bad for you too.

Handguns and other "ranged weapons" work well up close too but it'd be hard as hell to aim much if being attacked by a dog as much in any other SD situation.

All in all everyone survived so I guess you done did good :)

Oh and TheLastRifleMan, it took me 3 times reading your post to realize "Wall" ment wallet. I was like HOLY CRAP this guy EDC's a spare wall?
Oh, it's a wall alright. Never know when you might have to get behind it.

Oh crap. Missed that little typo, didn't I? Oh well, the meaning got through. :lol:

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:43 pm

You know how loyal your 55 pound dog is when he takes on a 100 pounder without thinking twice, gotta love those animals :mrgreen:

Glad you're ok and thanks for posting this up. What happened to you there happens to everyone. I forget to bring stuff with me all the time and I need to figure out how to make checking my pockets as a habit before I leave.

UndeadContingency449

Post by UndeadContingency449 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:48 pm

USMCSergeant wrote:You know how loyal your 55 pound dog is when he takes on a 100 pounder without thinking twice, gotta love those animals :mrgreen:

Glad you're ok and thanks for posting this up. What happened to you there happens to everyone. I forget to bring stuff with me all the time and I need to figure out how to make checking my pockets as a habit before I leave.
Roger that Sergeant!
-John Wayne

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 pm

UndeadContingency449 wrote:
USMCSergeant wrote:You know how loyal your 55 pound dog is when he takes on a 100 pounder without thinking twice, gotta love those animals :mrgreen:

Roger that Sergeant!
My 18 pound Jack Russell has gone after 100 pound dogs. Not out of loyalty to me though. He's just cocky.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Today my dog (40 pound chow mix mutt) saw someone using my driveway as a shortcut on foot to an apartment complex behind my house, and lost her shit. She went ballistic, and was an orange blur to confront this person, who stopped in their tracks. I called her back to me, at the front door of my house and she reluctantly retreated, every few steps looking back and giving another bark or growl. She made it to my doorstep and turned and watched the lady who is STILL using my driveway as a shortcut, much to my dog's displeasure. When the person was out of sight and the dog was content after sniffing the air for 5 minutes, I praised and gave her a treat. I like that she confronted the person but still never got within 10 feet of them or tried to bite.. she kept her distance and vocally conveyed her opinion. Truth be told if the person took a step toward her she probably would have bolted in fright, but she didn't let that be known.

Bragging pic of dog:

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 am

thats why when i take the dogs out walking i carry my oc and wear my boots. right there.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

UndeadContingency449

Post by UndeadContingency449 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:45 pm

USMCSergeant wrote:Today my dog (40 pound chow mix mutt) saw someone using my driveway as a shortcut on foot to an apartment complex behind my house, and lost her shit. She went ballistic, and was an orange blur to confront this person, who stopped in their tracks. I called her back to me, at the front door of my house and she reluctantly retreated, every few steps looking back and giving another bark or growl. She made it to my doorstep and turned and watched the lady who is STILL using my driveway as a shortcut, much to my dog's displeasure. When the person was out of sight and the dog was content after sniffing the air for 5 minutes, I praised and gave her a treat. I like that she confronted the person but still never got within 10 feet of them or tried to bite.. she kept her distance and vocally conveyed her opinion. Truth be told if the person took a step toward her she probably would have bolted in fright, but she didn't let that be known.

Bragging pic of dog:
how old is your dog sgt?
-John Wayne

grennels

Post by grennels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:56 pm

I rarely walk without my stout 5 1/2' Maple staff.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

She's around 5 now

CleaverCO

Post by CleaverCO » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for the well wishes for my k9s and myself, they got checked out and are fine, shots were just updated at the end of January and neither had holes in them thank god.

Funny thing about this incident is I live in a condo complex, so other than seeing a couple of coyotes and foxes out after dark last fall I've never seen a dog off leash. Back then, I wouldn't take the pups for a walk without a fixed blade and a pistol on my belt just in case. I guess I got complacent.

Some OCS might be in order, but I always thought of that as more mugger spray and to be truthful I never worried about getting mugged too much, if I was I'd want a pistol anyway. Maybe I just need to make that more an EDC.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Sunday I had a close call. I was taking out the trash, and a good sized brindle Boxer from the neighborhood came walking down the alley. I knelt down and said something along the lines of "Hey feller" when this thing went straight into fight mode. He lunged at me, and I backpedaled while yelling and getting my knife out. He kept coming, at his closest about a foot from my face. Once I had the knife out, I stopped, stomped at him, waved my arms, and yelled sharply and loudly until he saw the light, and decided to retreat.
I then went inside and changed my shorts.
So yeah, dogs on your side: good.
Dogs on the other side: bad.
EDC: makes the difference.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Sabre makes a small sized OC only canister (Sabre Red). This is what I generally recommend for folks that are worried about 4 legged nuisances. Having your own 4 legged critters around you adds a certain tactical wrinkle that your going to have to work out, though.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

madwolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Days of Darkness!

Post by madwolf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm

As a partially related aside: If you are actually physically attacked by a dog and must defend yourself, don't try to punch it, do not try to wrestle it.

Kick it under the jaw. The idea is to break or at least injure the animals jaw bone or mandible joints. Dogs rely on their mouths as a weapon, disable that weapon and they will run for their lives.

If you lose your footing and end up on the ground, it may very well be game over if it's a large/powerful dog. In that case, your only real chance is to go for the eyes. All predators are hardwired to protect their eyes at all cost. In the case of an all out attack and they latch onto you, an attack to the eyes will force them to retreat.

Just a note from experience. Take it as you will.

ETA: this is assuming you are unarmed, of course.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 pm

CleaverCO, good deal.

Even thou I am not a dog person, I can appreciate all the bennefits of dogs. They will literly leap in the jaws of death to keep their people safe. And there aint nothing like an old mutt. Best dog I ever had was a mutt. I regret I didnt spend more time that pooch.

Glad to hear you and your pets werent injuried. Sounds like Cujo learned a lesson that small dogs do not know nor care they are small.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:29 am

Another note if you're on the wrong side of a dog attack -

They'll go for the first thing they can bite, usually. Offer your off arm if you have no other choice. This will at least keep them from damaging your throat, face, precious twig and berries, etc, and leave you your good arm to go for the eyes. I know, I know, having a dog munching on your arm is not the best course of action, but if you hadn't gotten in a dog fight in the first place, then you wouldn't have to :P

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:35 am

Resolute wrote:Another note if you're on the wrong side of a dog attack -

They'll go for the first thing they can bite, usually. Offer your off arm if you have no other choice. This will at least keep them from damaging your throat, face, precious twig and berries, etc, and leave you your good arm to go for the eyes. I know, I know, having a dog munching on your arm is not the best course of action, but if you hadn't gotten in a dog fight in the first place, then you wouldn't have to :P

Similar to what a veterinary friend of mine once advised. He said give the dog your left hand
and then grab him by the back of the neck and ram your left down his throat. Then attempt break his neck if necessary.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Return to “Survival Experiences”