Crazy guy at work.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

psychomajortom
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead
Day of the Dead

Crazy guy at work.

Post by psychomajortom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm

I am the night shift manager at a gas station, and see some weird stuff as a result of that. Tuesday took the cake. I had a customer in the store for 3 hours playing scratch off tickets because "she needed to win a hundred dollars." She dropped $327. Well that was an all-consuming task itself, but i also had to run the whole store, including answering the phone. I had a convicted dope pusher call the store asking if i had his debit card. Not if it was in the store, not if he left it, but "do you have my debit card, you (my ethncity) SOB?" I told him no, as it was not in the store. Well Skippo came to the store later and was acting like a royal ass. He stepped up onto my platform and bowed up at me, telling me to give him his "(profanity of a religious nature) debit card." I pulled out the pepper spray i keep on my keyring, unlatched the safety, and started dialing the phone. I told him i was calling the police and he stormed out.

Did i handle that alright? I learned to keep my OC handy and have gotten permission from my to bring my pistol in when i get my permit.
ozwyn wrote:"God does not punish us, he gives us challenges and opportunities to kick ass. If God is angry, it is because we are pissing and moaning and whining and not kicking ass. Go forth, and kick the shit out of the zombies, amen."
DavePAL84 wrote: I'm a floral dress wearing, mojito drinking kinda gal.

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Re: Crazy guy at work.

Post by Skull_Hide » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Handled it very well. So how much did the lady win? :P
Last edited by Skull_Hide on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:18 pm

You handled it well, and I would get that permission for the handgun in writing.
Beretta accept no substitute.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 pm

IF you think you need a pistol to protect you at work. Do you work alone?

I would strongly suggest you look for a new employment.

Had a buddy took a job at a local (chain) 'corner store'. One day he went to work, and woke up in hospital. NO job is worth that, unless you are looking for that kind of rough and tumble work.

BTW, the next time Mr Skippy walks in, he may not say anything - just walk up and start blasting way.
As for me, if/when I see someone walk into a business with 'da hoodie up, time for me to walk out.

Thanks for the post, interesting as always, to read about others work situations.

Good luck.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 pm

When in college I worked Saturday 4 to midnight at a gas station. And I had some kid stick me up with a Browning Hi Power in .45ACP. I still occasionally see that FMJ glinting out from the bottom of the barrel in my dreams... The kid's hand was shaking so badly I was afraid he was going to shoot me involuntarily.

I quit that job that week...

I am not saying quit, but you might want to weigh your options.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Braxton
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 pm

You did ok.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

NYKh

Post by NYKh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Good Job.

But like others have said, you might not have seen the end of it.
KB3UKH

psychomajortom
Day of the Dead

Post by psychomajortom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:28 pm

I hope he doesn't come back. I don't want to shoot a man, i'll be honest, but I want to get shot even less so i hope he just stays gone.

Quitting is not an option at this point, it took me 3 months to find this job. The deputy who lives next door works shifts that coincide with mine in such a way that he's home and bored when i am working, so i'm usually not alone and someone has a gun (we're a country store with chairs inside and a Keno TV that never got hooked up, so it's an ESPN machine). Once i get written weapon-carrying consent, i'll probably put my 870 behind the counter when i'm there. Any other gas-station warzone vets out there with some experience for the new guy?
ozwyn wrote:"God does not punish us, he gives us challenges and opportunities to kick ass. If God is angry, it is because we are pissing and moaning and whining and not kicking ass. Go forth, and kick the shit out of the zombies, amen."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 pm

You will most likely get fired for shooting anyone on the premises. Of course you could die too, so you have choices to make there I think.

I did the whole night shift in the convenience store gig in college. Some nights it was pretty flaky. The cops got called pretty much bi-weekly. I am a big dude and look enormous on the platform. No one ever gave me a hard time. There were about a dozen robberies while I worked there, mostly snatch and grabs or shop lifting (probably more than those are just the ones I called the police for). Mostly it was bouncing drunk college students.

Quick-stop logic is give the bad guy whatever he wants and he will go away. In this case he was too deranged to realize that you could not give him what he wanted so you did the best you could. You should have a clicker. If you don't, threaten to quit if they dont get one. And then quit when they dont. You can always get a job at another store.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

I spent a few years in convenience stores eventually working into management....

It sucks...

But it does teach you the wild and varied antics that people will pull to gain whatever it is that they think they are entitled to.

The Lotto nazis (As I called em.) are the most consistently abusive in my experience. One store I had was a mile from a Bingo palace... Every day around 3oclock the sweaty stale cigarette smelling hordes would launch in and line up, one cashier cranking out lotto games while a second had to deal with the scratch card junkies.
Rule one, You don't scratch the damn cards here! Like I need all that shit flaked across my counters and on my floor.
Rule two, You don't scratch and throw them on the deck outside either. I don't have time to walk around picking up your trash, buy them and get out. I have people who actually wanna buy, oh, I dunno, Gas? Cigarettes? Soda? you know, convenience store stuff?

Our profit margins were like this. Lottery only benefits when people ALSO purchase other items, a line of twenty people buying dollar mega tickets solely is a financial waste of labor. Cigarettes, don't care if I sell them or not. Our profit was in advertisement, We made shit on smokes, but 20 to 30 thousand a month from vendor advertising (which is why you see so damn much of it.) Top dogs, gas and beer.

So when I got the store as a manager, I had a long talk with my district manager about these things, (I had spent two years as night manager and daytime assistant manager) and he agreed, so I set the rules.

So whenever I'd get my own Skippo showing up I'd go into a special blend of sarcasm and stoic "fuck yourself" mode. I was never rude, well not overtly, and had a pretty good eye for weeding thru the scammers to help those who had actual problems, which I served as quickly as I could.

As far as firearms, I had my own don't ask don't tell policy. My night guy and a few others were the same, better to loose a job than your life. In the entire time, only one person ever knew that I packed, and he did the same. (We ran into eachother at the range.)

So unless this job is the greatest thing that has ever happened to you and you wanna spend the rest of your life in customer service, make your choices based on what's best for YOU.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Good show. Held ground, called authorities, and no one got hurt. Pure win in my book.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

NightHiker

Post by NightHiker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm

:words:
Last edited by NightHiker on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 pm

I hate to be judgmental, but... find a job where you're not at such risk?
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah I meant to say good job! As far as I am concerned in any hold up situation you want to give them anything they want. It's the stores stuff anyway, right??? And be polite and courteous. No sense in pissing off a dude with a gun...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

psychomajortom
Day of the Dead

Post by psychomajortom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Crisis averted- Skippo got caught for possession with the intent to distribute again tonight. Not that i was going to give the job up or anything, but it's good to know he'll be gone for several years.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 am

Nice work but really, bringing a Rem 870 to work? If it was your family business, or your business I could see the commitment. But its not your store. Unless they are paying you 85k a year or better, I would reevaluate the risk factor. If you end up getting hurt, or in court for manslaughter, I don/t think your boss is gona take care of your rent, car payments or other responsibilities for you. I am all for defending yourself, but the hell with the register.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:32 pm

"Browning Hi Power in .45ACP"
And one where one can see the fmj's when they are in the gun......................................

I acknowledge that I am a "gun-nerd" , but still.
Dawgboy wrote:When in college I worked Saturday 4 to midnight at a gas station. And I had some kid stick me up with a Browning Hi Power in .45ACP. I still occasionally see that FMJ glinting out from the bottom of the barrel in my dreams... The kid's hand was shaking so badly I was afraid he was going to shoot me involuntarily.

Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

psychomajortom
Day of the Dead

Post by psychomajortom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:26 pm

If another job shows up that is safer and pays as well (after factoring in the 30-mile drive to ANYWHERE other than this store), i'll take it in a heartbeat. Until then, i'll keep the job. The aren't easy to find right now. Skippo is gone for a while, and there has NEVER been a similar incident at this store. I may just keep the OC and leave it at that.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:31 pm

MasterMaker wrote:"Browning Hi Power in .45ACP"
And one where one can see the fmj's when they are in the gun......................................

Dawgboy wrote:When in college I worked Saturday 4 to midnight at a gas station. And I had some kid stick me up with a Browning Hi Power in .45ACP. I still occasionally see that FMJ glinting out from the bottom of the barrel in my dreams... The kid's hand was shaking so badly I was afraid he was going to shoot me involuntarily.

Apparently, not only DON'T they exist, but also, they CANNOT exist: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 15519.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread got me curious so I Googled it and found that one.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Jeriah wrote:
MasterMaker wrote:"Browning Hi Power in .45ACP"

Apparently, not only DON'T they exist, but also, they CANNOT exist: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 15519.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread got me curious so I Googled it and found that one.

To further derail this thread........ The GKK-45 made by FEG is very hi-poweresque and is often called a "Hi-power clone in .45" despite several significant differences. And yes, if the light is right and the gun is pointed at your face you sometimes can see the bullet.

To the OP, I wouldn't give up on the idea of packing though I do think the 870 would be of little to no use for anything other than cannibal raiders set on barbecuing you, looting the doritos and cigarettes and stealing gas.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Farmerhunterjr

Post by Farmerhunterjr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Dawgboy wrote: And yes, if the light is right and the gun is pointed at your face you sometimes can see the bullet.
I think this needs a disclaimer for all the "Warning continents may be hot" type people :roll: :lol:

By warning of the surgeon general we at ZS must recommend you do not try and look down the barrel of a loaded firearm unless you really really want to win that shiny Darwin award. in that case please use a 22lr so we can confirm that "one hit with a 22lr is better that 1 miss with a .45acp" myth while your at it. :lol: :lol:

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 am

I have, in fact, been robbed by a man who pointed a Browning Hi-Power at my face, at night, under bright lights, in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I'm sure it was a 9mm. It was two tone - satin silver frame, blue slide. I can confirm that under that heightened stress, the muzzle of the gun tends to draw your eye, and I distinctly remember seeing copper glint. Maybe it's a hysteria induced false memory - I definitely experienced hysteria - I was hysterical. (But as usual, not funny.)
He later claimed to have used a bb gun - I know that isn't true. The muzzle of that pistol was distinctly 9mm sized.

When the police arrived, one of them asked me what kind of gun the mugger used. I said "a Browning Hi-Power."
He sighed and asked if it was an automatic or a revolver, and launched into a brief description of how autos and revolvers differed in appearance.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 am

squinty wrote:I have, in fact, been robbed by a man who pointed a Browning Hi-Power at my face, at night, under bright lights, in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I'm sure it was a 9mm. It was two tone - satin silver frame, blue slide. I can confirm that under that heightened stress, the muzzle of the gun tends to draw your eye, and I distinctly remember seeing copper glint. Maybe it's a hysteria induced false memory - I definitely experienced hysteria - I was hysterical. (But as usual, not funny.)
He later claimed to have used a bb gun - I know that isn't true. The muzzle of that pistol was distinctly 9mm sized.

When the police arrived, one of them asked me what kind of gun the mugger used. I said "a Browning Hi-Power."
He sighed and asked if it was an automatic or a revolver, and launched into a brief description of how autos and revolvers differed in appearance.
Well of course, it's not even remotely possible that a Civilian would have any coherent idea on what guns actually look like, it's not like they have any experience with firearms, that's supposed to be just for police...

I started to color the above statement in blue, but then decided that it's not all that funny...

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:12 pm

SeerSavant wrote:
squinty wrote:I have, in fact, been robbed by a man who pointed a Browning Hi-Power at my face, at night, under bright lights, in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I'm sure it was a 9mm. It was two tone - satin silver frame, blue slide. I can confirm that under that heightened stress, the muzzle of the gun tends to draw your eye, and I distinctly remember seeing copper glint. Maybe it's a hysteria induced false memory - I definitely experienced hysteria - I was hysterical. (But as usual, not funny.)

Well of course, it's not even remotely possible that a Civilian would have any coherent idea on what guns actually look like, it's not like they have any experience with firearms, that's supposed to be just for police...

I started to color the above statement in blue, but then decided that it's not all that funny...
I think he just wasn't into guns himself, so he didn't know what a BHP was or if I knew what I was talking about when I said it. Not all cops are gun guys.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Return to “Survival Experiences”