I'm Snowed In...But OK

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

I'm Snowed In...But OK

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Well, like a lot of us out there, the big blast of snow hit us last night, dumping about 12" where I live, more in the areas surrounding me. The local news pundits have been screaming about the incoming wave of "white death" (as one reporter called it) for three days.

Here are some pics:

Out my back door after we had plowed. This is where my truck had sat all night.

My truck moved into it's new berth after plowing. Snow is still coming down. More on the wipers in a bit.

Down my street. Note how the street has not yet been plowed by the county. Getting out would be tough.

Across the street through the widow I am now sitting next to. My neighbor's just got plowed out. She had snow drifts about 3 feet high.

Was I worried? Not really. Here is why:

1) I live 33 miles from where I work, 28 of that highway. I have plenty of paid time off stored up, so if it was going to be bad weather wise, I was staying home. Why risk my only vehicle on bad roads and possible injuries when I can stay safe and be paid for it? Which leads to #2.

2) Vehicle readiness. Even though I did not plan on going anywhere today (2-2-11), I still wanted to make sure my truck was able to start in an emergency. In case she would not start, all I had to do was open the garage door and hook up the jumper cables and spare battery, which had been on a charger since Sunday, in order to get going. Luckily, I did not need it. The ol' gal fired up no problem despite 15 F temps last night. Also, a near full tank of gas and a bottle of gas line anti freeze helped. Also, as you can see in the above picture, I placed my windshield wipers in that position to keep them from freezing to the windshield and to make clearing the snow off easier. First time I tried it and it worked! Also I bought gas on Monday and beat the crowds of last minute purchasers that filled the gas stations last night.

3) Power/Electricity. My Dad and I also made sure our generator had fresh gas and the oil was up to snuff. Only two pulls of the cord got it going for a test run. Luckily we have only gotten snow and not ice, since some parts of the country are having trouble with ice build up on power lines, causing blackouts.

4) Food. We went grocery shopping on Saturday before the stores went nuts last night. Plenty to eat and eat well with much left over. I am thinking about making a nice beef/pork stew for dinner tonight.

5) Snow removal. We hooked up the second battery charger (always good to have more then one!) to our 15 horse power lawn tractor's battery, which is equipped with a plow blade and chains, and topped off the gas tank and made sure the spare gas can had enough to re fill the tractor if need be. We also made sure our shovels we within easy reach. It still took us over 90 minutes to clear out our driveway, turn around and porches.

6) Clothing. We made sure all of our cold weather outdoor gear was ready. Warm coats, boots, socks, hats and gloves were set, thanks in part to attending my nephew's hockey game this weekend in an arena with no heat.

They stay the snow will taper off this afternoon and the skies will clear. The temps will be dropping into the single digits, unfortunately. Looks like another night of my truck being parked within easy access to the battery and jumper cables.

I have to say I have never felt more ready for a major snow storm. It took me and my Dad less then an hour to get the tractor and battery charge stations ready, my Mom stopping at the store on her way home from work on Saturday. So with not too much effort and a bit of forethought, we are sitting pretty comfortable right now and just have to wait it out.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

NX02GT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ones with Zombies in them.

Re: I'm Snowed In...But OK

Post by NX02GT » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Good work. I have been watching facebook posts from many friends of mine all over that are snowed in, the power is out, and they are unprepared. I also got in a conversation with my uncle about how he was making fun of people for stocking up last minute "like they will be snowed in for weeks", while he was out getting dinnner for the night. I hope he bought enough when he was there to last the couple days he will likely be holed up. I had a rude awakening with electric heat and no power in December. I have a generator now.

Love how the "NEWS" is all about shock value now.
Czechnology wrote: On a normal shotgun with Ghost Rings, the sight radius is significantly longer. I'd put a red dot on that thing before I ever considered those MBUS. It's like putting Pirellis on a Mail Jeep. Yeah they look cool, but the platform cannot utilize them to their potential.

razi

Post by razi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:42 pm

next time, put plastic grocery bags over your rearview mirrors and tuck one into the door- this will make the door easier to open, and you won't have to try to scrape your mirrors (which are always a pain in the ass).

:D

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:08 pm

NX02GT wrote:Good work. I have been watching facebook posts from many friends of mine all over that are snowed in, the power is out, and they are unprepared. I also got in a conversation with my uncle about how he was making fun of people for stocking up last minute "like they will be snowed in for weeks", while he was out getting dinnner for the night. I hope he bought enough when he was there to last the couple days he will likely be holed up. I had a rude awakening with electric heat and no power in December. I have a generator now.

Love how the "NEWS" is all about shock value now.
Lets be fair, there were no hurricane 'disasters' for the "News" media to obsess over this summer, so a lot of pent up (something) they have to get out....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:27 pm

We got a "dusting" of 10" yesterday, then an additional 10" today-add that to the 8' we've had so far, and I wont see green grass till June. Stay safe.

Oh yeah, some asshole slashed my tire. So, guess what I get to do tomorrow when the snow hopefully stops???
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

grennels

Post by grennels » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

If you're counting on a generator you need LOTS of gas. People in Kentucky
ice storm a couple years ago were without power for 2-3 weeks. 10 gallons
runs the average genny about 13 hours.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:37 pm

grennels wrote:If you're counting on a generator you need LOTS of gas. People in Kentucky
ice storm a couple years ago were without power for 2-3 weeks. 10 gallons
runs the average genny about 13 hours.
Not counting on the generator per se. It would have to be a real emergency for us to try to use it for run the house furnace or lights. Mostly what we use it for is to run the well pump for the water. We know we can get by without central heat and lights for a while having done so in the past. It's not comfortable but livable.

We shall not sleep..."

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Sounds like you're doing okay, rifleman.

We had a HUGE (for us) snowstorm over Xmas a few years ago. Two feet of the white stuff. We were hosting xmas at my house, so the wife and I had enough food stocked to feed an army. We also both had taken the week off. Of course, all our relatives had to cancel the trip because of weather, so it was just me, my wife, my mutts, tons of time on our hands, and a mountain of food to work our way through.

Best Christmas I've ever spent by far! :)
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Threads like this are why I like ZS.
Two bits of information like this are truly practical advice that you can only get from experience.

1)Put the windshield wiper blades up

2) Plastic bags over the mirror.

It may be common sense for our northern ZS members but is news and very useful information for a snow newbee like me.

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:07 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:Not counting on the generator per se. --snip-- Mostly what we use it for is to run the well pump for the water. --snip--
Ever looked into any of the manual products from Lehmans? Either the handpumps, or This slender bucket that apparently fits through the existing well pipes?
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:27 pm

FanaticalModerate wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Not counting on the generator per se. --snip-- Mostly what we use it for is to run the well pump for the water. --snip--
Ever looked into any of the manual products from Lehmans? Either the handpumps, or This slender bucket that apparently fits through the existing well pipes?
Those would be great but unfortunately not possible without a lot of modifications. Our water supply is 120 feet down and the pump and pipe are down there with it.

I have often thought about hooking something up like that for emergencies, but it would be an awful lot of work for something we might not need everyday.
raptor wrote:Threads like this are why I like ZS.
Two bits of information like this are truly practical advice that you can only get from experience.

1)Put the windshield wiper blades up

2) Plastic bags over the mirror.

It may be common sense for our northern ZS members but is news and very useful information for a snow newbee like me.
Glad to be of service!

Well, a bit of an update. The roads were still slippery as hell this morning on my way to work and my truck did NOT start, the temps having dipped below 0 F degrees last night. I even ran my jumper battery down, so about 15 minutes of charging with my battery charger was enough to get it going, albeit 30 minutes late for work. Seems my 2.5 year old battery just wasn't up to the job. Thankfully, I had purchased a battery with a pro rated warranty and was able to upgrade to a brand new one with a brand new full warranty for only $35 and it is in my truck now.

We shall not sleep..."

NYKh

Post by NYKh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 pm

We had a blast last year with the back to back storms. Me and the misses home from work, it was a mini vacation. We went to the store before the rush, and even if we didn’t we could have lived of our stocks.

The only down side was, the snow was coming down so fast and with the wind, we had 3’+ drifts on our roof and I had to climb up 2 times during the height of the storm to shovel out the vent for the furnace, the pilot light would go out. The 3rd time was 4:30 am and I was trashed from the rum and cokes so we just used the back up kerosene heater.
That would have been SUCK, falling of the roof, shit faced, biggest blizzard in 20 years, and no emergency crews getting out. Even the NG humvee’s had to stop running for part of the storm.
KB3UKH

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Had some fun times over here. Spent the better part of Thursday clearing out the street, even had a bit of "synchronized snowblower ballet" going on, very majestic.

I'd have pics for ya, but I broke my camera from dropping it due to laughing too hard. If the mem card survives I'll see about getting some pics.
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Man , you guys in the Windy City got it bad. Saw that on the news and glad your doing okay.

We are not out of the woods yet. Snow predicted all this week, making my 33 mile ride to work a bit more then hazardous.

We shall not sleep..."

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am

Wow, lots of snow. We finally reached over 130 inches of snow this year, so I know how you feel. Luckily, my work in a mile and a half away, but even then without 4 wheel drive, the drive is dangerous. Hills aren't forgiving.

Our snow banks are reaching 7-8 feet. Much higher at my work (middle school).

My post really isnt thought out, but even on my ride home from work (hour and 10 mins ago), the road had a few inches of snow/slush. We are getting snow all week as well. Ahh, gotta love the Great Lakes.

On a side note, Saturday night 7-9pm, our power was out due to a transformer exploding. Luckily, it was around 30 degrees out even while we got 5-6 inches of snow.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

sql_yoda
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 am

w3rdtoyamama wrote:Wow, lots of snow. We finally reached over 130 inches of snow this year, so I know how you feel. Luckily, my work in a mile and a half away, but even then without 4 wheel drive, the drive is dangerous. Hills aren't forgiving.

Our snow banks are reaching 7-8 feet. Much higher at my work (middle school).

My post really isnt thought out, but even on my ride home from work (hour and 10 mins ago), the road had a few inches of snow/slush. We are getting snow all week as well. Ahh, gotta love the Great Lakes.

On a side note, Saturday night 7-9pm, our power was out due to a transformer exploding. Luckily, it was around 30 degrees out even while we got 5-6 inches of snow.
I heard from some friends in the Catskills that some people in NY got over 26 inches in one night last week. I miss the mountains and the scenery, but I'll take a 10 inch "blizzard" over that any day. :-)

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Post by azstinger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 am

Ok talk about a fail, this is pretty much a fail of epic proportions on my part. I'm not snowed in yet but looks like it is on its way.

Food: 1/2 case tomato sauce and paste, and a case of beer
Vehicle: 4x4 but not winterized in the least (btw what else other than the windshield wipers and mirrors trick do I need to do, as in what could freeze that needs to be treated etc)
Power: No generator (I rent and is not allowed), also no additional way to heat
Clothes: Warmest pants I own are jeans, and warmest shoes I own are ankle cut off hiking boots, luckily got plenty of jackets and blankets.

Going to attempt to head to the grocery store that is about 1/4mi away and at least get some food stuffs.

Artiz

Post by Artiz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 pm

As a Canadian we got to laugh quite a bit seeing the MAXIMUM SNOW ALERT news as of late. :lol: It's unreal, like a feet of snow means apocalypse down there... that's what I used to shovel each morning a few years ago, double that for some shitty storms. You guys would go downright crazy. :shock:

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 am

Nope. I'd call that heaven. :D

I was seriously pissed off that the Groundhog Day storm missed my AO but that's how it goes: get prepped for something and it ignores you. :lol:

I feel for those of you stuck, but spring is just around the corner.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

Artiz wrote:As a Canadian we got to laugh quite a bit seeing the MAXIMUM SNOW ALERT news as of late. :lol: It's unreal, like a feet of snow means apocalypse down there... that's what I used to shovel each morning a few years ago, double that for some shitty storms. You guys would go downright crazy. :shock:
I used to live about an hour from a ski slope (they were on the other side of the mountain, basically), so I know what you mean...move to a different part of the country with a different climate, and you get an entirely different reaction to that kind of weather.

To paraphrase Sir Peter Blake: ' I shall start walking south with a snow shovel over my shoulder and stop when someone asks me what it is." :P
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Tater Raider wrote:Nope. I'd call that heaven. :D
You just want to play with your new Jeep. :P

As long as power and internet are up I can work even if I can't leave the house. I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...

Artiz

Post by Artiz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 am

airballrad wrote:
Tater Raider wrote:Nope. I'd call that heaven. :D
You just want to play with your new Jeep. :P

As long as power and internet are up I can work even if I can't leave the house. I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...
Depends if you're talking about your masculinity... :lol:

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Ten days have passed...guess what?

It was freakin' 47F degrees today! Now we have to worry about four feet of snow melting and flooding.

Unbelievable.

We shall not sleep..."

riverjoe47
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??

Post by riverjoe47 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Same here . I dug out the old cross country skis a few days ago for the winter bug out contest and today Im walking around in shirt sleaves . Ive been messing with my gear for 2 or 3 weeks thinking man 14 " of snows got to be here til March at least . Predicting rain on Thursday and that just sucks . Im pretty sure the snow down in the river bottom will be safe tho . It usually sticks til spring . Wish I was a few degrees of latitude north . :(
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

Return to “Survival Experiences”