Events That Changed Your Life and Shaped Your Outlook

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: Events That Changed Your Life and Shaped Your Outlook

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 am

Basil Duke wrote: So, what did I learn? 1. Never trust a woman. Ever. Under any circumstances.
Thank you for being so forthright, so that I will waste none of my time reading anything else you may post.
Please put me on your foe list also, so you have no chance to accidentally read anything I have ever posted on this site.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:22 am

ZombieGranny wrote:
Basil Duke wrote: So, what did I learn? 1. Never trust a woman. Ever. Under any circumstances.
Thank you for being so forthright, so that I will waste none of my time reading anything else you may post.
Please put me on your foe list also, so you have no chance to accidentally read anything I have ever posted on this site.
But he's right.
"Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts."
[Points to sword]
"This you can trust."
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:50 am

Y'know, I like Conan too, but I don't think every line in it was meant to be treated like a holy book.

It does piss me off that somehow people think it's OK to say things about one sex or the other, that would be clearly offensive if said about a racial, ethnic, or political group.

The original poster of that sentiment was clearly speaking out of pain.

Not sure what anyone else's reason might be but we're headed off topic in a good thread. Any further need to discuss this issue should go to PM.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:39 am

duodecima wrote:It does piss me off that somehow people think it's OK to say things about one sex or the other, that would be clearly offensive if said about a racial, ethnic, or political group.
:roll:

Offensive speak if there is such a thing is what I would regard as a typical victim-less crime. Politicizing talk has nothing to do with the nature of polarizing factual relay, threatening to have liberties taken away because of what is said rather than done takes the biscuit.
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Dear PackLemming, you have a PM, and an unofficial warning for trolling.

Back on topic, please.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

basmith42
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
28 Days series.

Post by basmith42 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:42 pm

About 7 years ago I got married and adopted my wife's (then) 5 year old daughter.

When I look back on it, I don't really like who I was then. Now, I have grown into a politically active man with a sense of duty to people other than himself. I like who I am now much more than who I was 8 years ago. I credit it to becoming a father and having to live up to the example my dad set.

2 1/2 years ago, I watched my mom die of cancer. That experience taught me about dignity and about a person having control over their own destiny.
Watching my eldest sister through this taught me that I can choose who I have in my life and in what way those people are allowed to impact my life. I also learned I can choose to not have people in my life as I have with her.

I picked up the book Ted White and Blue in the bookstore in Newark Airport in 2010. That book made me realize that I was no longer a liberal and that this was ok.

In July of 2010, we adopted a daschund. That dog helped me out of a severe depression. In December to 2010, we adopted a second daschund. Those two dogs have completely rocked my world and made me realize that I am wealthy
- Strongsville, Oh. CERT Team
- Cleveland, Oh. Red Cross Disaster Activation Team.

scuro

Post by scuro » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 am

Meat N' Taters wrote:(I've been in in introspective, serious mood lately...so forgive me dear ZS from deviating from my usual menagerie of poop jokes and sexual innuendo.)

1) I was on a middle school field trip to Washington D.C., and was approached by a homeless man asking for money so him and his friends could eat. Feeling bad for him, I gave him $20 of the 100 bucks that my mom had given me. A few minutes later, as we were walking back down that stretch of street, I saw the homeless guy smoking a crack pipe. In the years since then, I have given a shit-ton of hamburgers, sausage biscuits, cans of soda, packs of cigarettes, and to-go bags...but I have never given cash to a homeless person again.

2) A few years before that, someone robbed our house while my mom and I were gone. They took a bunch of our shit that my mother had worked her ass off to get for us. I was enraged, and it was explained to me that in this world, there are people that work hard to provide for themselves, and there are people that feel like they don't have to work, and instead let others work hard and then steal from them. My mother only told me about people who literally steal/burglarize in the literal sense. It wasn't until my late teens that I began to form my own opinions and realizations of how many people steal from the hard-working people in other ways (won't get into politics here). Aside from this, the robbery profoundly shook up my sense of security. I immediately felt the primal urge to protect my homestead. Being a boy of 12 or so raised by a single mother who didn't believe in guns...I was shot down when I begged my mom to get a pistol to protect our house. My mom believed that one's home and one's goods weren't worth harming another human being over. She also felt that for self-defense, a baseball bat was all a person needed. She let me keep a Louisville Slugger underneath my bed, but it provided me little comfort. I realized then that her and I had different opinions on what was worth fighting over. You see, I believed that one's home and one's goods ARE worth fighting for, even to the point of harming someone. To me, it wasn't about material things...it was what they represented - someone else's hard work; someone else's dreams. The fact that someone would try and take MY hard work and MY dreams sickened me. They had no right. They had every opportunity to work hard just like my mom did, just like I do now, to get what they want in life. I knew then that I was prepared to defend that with all I had. When I turned 18, I bought my first firearm, a piece of shit Marlin 9mm carbine. Since then, I have not slept without one or more guns within arm's reach.

3) I was 19 years old when my grandfather died. Ever since I was little, the man had absolutely adored me. Matter of fact, the day he found out that my mom had gotten pregnant (she was 19 and unmarried, with the father nowhere in the picture), he didn't get angry, judge her, or even say one word to her about how it happened. He drove straight over to the grocery store where she was working as a cashier, marched up to her, and said "Tell your boss you're quitting. Let's go buy a crib, and then you can live with us as long as you need." The man had his share of problems with his own children...he was an alcoholic, and kind of a stubborn old hardass. But with me, well I guess you could say he saw me as a second chance to have the relationship he should have had with his own children. The man treated me like gold. He was an imperfect man, and he made life rough for his kids at times. But he also made life wonderful for his grandson. I learned that within all of us is the capacity to create, and the capacity to destroy; it's just human nature. Sometimes we are lucky, and we get a second chance to rebuild things we've destroyed.

possibly more to come.
I really appreciate your post M & T. These kind of experiences are the crux of our lives that turn us one way or another. That guide, influence, and inspire us. I don't know you, but from the tone of your post, you seem to have taken lemons and made the best kind of lemon aide you can, and I assume a stash of lemons to continue making it with. :wink:

Mighty Hd

Post by Mighty Hd » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Having children by far changed everything...........absolutely everything.

Basil Duke

Post by Basil Duke » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

To: Basmith42: Weiner dogs are indeed great pets! But be careful: do NOT let them jump off ANYTHING - sofa, bed, etc. They're pre-disposed to catastrophic spinal disruptions that such antics can unleash. Their discs are actually dislocated, and then come to rest on major nerves leading to the hind legs - which in turn render the animals paralyzed from the waist down. (I know this all-too-well: spent $2,500 having mine restored to working order, poor girl. She's fine now, but only because one of the finest animal surgeries in the United States is located about an hour and a half from me.)

In reference to my first post on this thread: I was too hasty and emotionally overheated. Rather than smear half the population, I should have said: 1. Be exceptionally cautious in whom you give your trust. The person you trust the most just might not be there in crunch time - and could in fact create the crunch time herself/himself.

Return to “Survival Experiences”