Carrying a dirty gun.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Foxy

Re: Carrying a dirty gun.

Post by Foxy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 am

BeachNutJim wrote:Got pulled over in St. Petersburg, FL after a Super Bowl party in January. My vehicle matched the description of one that had been involved in a drive-by shooting. Surrounded by 7 squad cars, and asked to exit my truck, I told the LEO that I had a loaded .45 auto in the console. I have a concealed carry permit. The LEO sticks his pinky finger down the barrel (something I would NEVER do) and says "it's clean." A minute later I was on my way. What all would I have had to deal with if the gun was dirty? One more reason to clean your gun after EVERY visit to the range!
Wow, No safety check?
Did you have one in the pipe?

This reminds me I need to pick up a can of CLP :lol:

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Good thing he didn't want to check to see if you were wearing clean underwear! :lol:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 pm

"I wonder what would have happened if the gun had come back as stolen? I ask because I don't know, and as far as I know, there haven't been any cases like this in a notification state..."

This is what a "bill of sale" with the previous owner's info on it is for. On a FTF sale, don't leave the table without one. CYA.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:22 pm

I think that the cops, upon realizing that the OP probably was not who they were looking for, decided that they needed a reason to let him go and the clean gun was it.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:59 pm

I've really only had two personal interactions where I notified a LEO I was carrying (I don't have to here.)

One was when I was pulled over for a routine inspection by a state DOT cop while driving my semi cross state. I handed him my paperwork and DL and CWP. He asked if I was carrying; I said as a matter of fact, I am, and have a back-up in my truck. He asked if I would be okay if he were to place them in the rear of his vehicle until our business was concluded. I wasn't in the mood to question him why or make a scene, so I said "sure!" He actually allowed me to disarm, and grab my EDC bag to place my carry gun in, along with my BUG. I then handed it to him, and he asked me to walk back to his cruiser to see where he was putting it. He actually opened the rear passenger side door, and placed it on the seat, then left the door unlocked and closed it. When business was concluded about 30 minutes later, he walked me back there, opened the door, and allowed me to grab the bag myself and take it away. No sweat.

The other time I had a vehicle swerve in front of me (going the same direction), over correct too much, and end up rolling several times in a ditch. I was the first vehicle behind them, and stopped to check on them, leaving my semi partially blocking the lane for everyone's safety. It had been raining, so I had left my wallet in my rig as I attended to the victims. Whne a LEO and EMS responded, I told the LEO I saw everything and volunteered to be a witness on paper. He asked for my ID, and walked back to my truck with me to get it. As we walked, I told him that I was a CWP holder, and was in fact armed. He just looked at me funny, sort of smiled and said "Thanks, but you didn't need to tell me that. We just automatically assume ALL truckers are armed, and are greatful for it!"

Best. Cop. Evar...... :lol:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Return to “Survival Experiences”