My Job, My Hell...

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:14 pm

OPLOAD / Guard Mount, MP duty ammo etc... all the bane of accountability.
You, sir, are a wise man.
Tony D Tiger

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:20 pm

If I learned one thing from the military if you have to sign for something (like guard ammo) you count it twice and check the headstamps.

Never take someone’s word that everything is there and accounted for.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:51 pm

First formation (0800hrs)

1SG: Mens, we have an inbound chopper with a VIP on board. Priest!! Where the heck is Priest?

PFC Padilla: First Sergeant! You told him to guard the stairs!

1SG: Well now Mr. Helpful, on orders from the Battalion Commander, 2nd Platoon is to carry your goat smelling @sses to the stairs and make sure he stays there until you are properly relieved. Are there any questions?

Image


Image
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:20 am

Laager wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:51 pm
First formation (0800hrs)

1SG: Mens, we have an inbound chopper with a VIP on board. Priest!! Where the heck is Priest?

PFC Padilla: First Sergeant! You told him to guard the stairs!

1SG: Well now Mr. Helpful, on orders from the Battalion Commander, 2nd Platoon is to carry your goat smelling @sses to the stairs and make sure he stays there until you are properly relieved. Are there any questions?

Image


Image
Stairway to Heaven, Dragon Valley... :mrgreen:
Tony D Tiger

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am

It's funny, because earlier today I was thinking about Hovey, Toko-Ri and the swimming pool (of all things) :rofl:
Tony D Tiger

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am
It's funny, because earlier today I was thinking about Hovey, Toko-Ri and the swimming pool (of all things) :rofl:
I spent a good chunk of time guarding those stairs, far enough away from Brigade HQ, Battalion HQ and the Company to both make the chain of command feel safe as in I wasn’t around to cause some type of issue and at the same time worry the heck out of them because I wasn’t around and chances were I was causing some type of issue.

When the First Sergeant was upset he would make us run the stairs, I liked them more than when he used to run us through Cubi Point’s monkey road.


New Barracks all up and down Dragon Valley, and over Camp Casey as well.

They closed Yongsong down all that is left is Dragon Hill lodge. Everything else was turned over.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:20 pm

Laager wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am
It's funny, because earlier today I was thinking about Hovey, Toko-Ri and the swimming pool (of all things) :rofl:
I spent a good chunk of time guarding those stairs, far enough away from Brigade HQ, Battalion HQ and the Company to both make the chain of command feel safe as in I wasn’t around to cause some type of issue and at the same time worry the heck out of them because I wasn’t around and chances were I was causing some type of issue.

When the First Sergeant was upset he would make us run the stairs, I liked them more than when he used to run us through Cubi Point’s monkey road.


New Barracks all up and down Dragon Valley, and over Camp Casey as well.

They closed Yongsan Army Garrison down all that is left is Dragon Hill lodge. Everything else was turned over. They "improved" Camp Humphreys and moved the Yongsan Garrison there.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm

Laager wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am
It's funny, because earlier today I was thinking about Hovey, Toko-Ri and the swimming pool (of all things) :rofl:
I spent a good chunk of time guarding those stairs, far enough away from Brigade HQ, Battalion HQ and the Company to both make the chain of command feel safe as in I wasn’t around to cause some type of issue and at the same time worry the heck out of them because I wasn’t around and chances were I was causing some type of issue.

When the First Sergeant was upset he would make us run the stairs, I liked them more than when he used to run us through Cubi Point’s monkey road.


New Barracks all up and down Dragon Valley, and over Camp Casey as well.

They closed Yongsong down all that is left is Dragon Hill lodge. Everything else was turned over.
I was last there 2017 - '18... I remember seeing the banners about scaring wild pigs and thinking "hell, it used to be the pigs were scared of us!"

You ever go to the VFW?
Tony D Tiger

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm
Laager wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am
It's funny, because earlier today I was thinking about Hovey, Toko-Ri and the swimming pool (of all things) :rofl:
I spent a good chunk of time guarding those stairs, far enough away from Brigade HQ, Battalion HQ and the Company to both make the chain of command feel safe as in I wasn’t around to cause some type of issue and at the same time worry the heck out of them because I wasn’t around and chances were I was causing some type of issue.

When the First Sergeant was upset he would make us run the stairs, I liked them more than when he used to run us through Cubi Point’s monkey road.


New Barracks all up and down Dragon Valley, and over Camp Casey as well.

They closed Yongsong down all that is left is Dragon Hill lodge. Everything else was turned over.
I was last there 2017 - '18... I remember seeing the banners about scaring wild pigs and thinking "hell, it used to be the pigs were scared of us!"

You ever go to the VFW?
I was a Manchu back then, they barely let us on the Post. I remember those darn pigs in Korea and the darn Monkeys in the PI. Was the VFW a bar? I only went to one bar and it was out the gate towards the left. Right next to a used paperback book store.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:16 pm

Well, Camp Casey was mostly a ghost town two years ago. Rumor was it was slated to be closed, until someone pointed out its utility as the furthest north railhead this side of the DMZ.

With much reduced troop strength positioned forward, and most stationed at the Hump now, the pigz fear no man.

The VFW ~has~ a bar, it is tucked away in a residential area about a block off the MSR. It used to be out the main gate and to the left, right on the main supply route, years ago. I dont remember a bookstore though... :mrgreen:

Manchu - they were on Ft Ord too, yes?
Tony D Tiger

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:58 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:16 pm
Well, Camp Casey was mostly a ghost town two years ago. Rumor was it was slated to be closed, until someone pointed out its utility as the furthest north railhead this side of the DMZ.

With much reduced troop strength positioned forward, and most stationed at the Hump now, the pigz fear no man.

The VFW ~has~ a bar, it is tucked away in a residential area about a block off the MSR. It used to be out the main gate and to the left, right on the main supply route, years ago. I dont remember a bookstore though... :mrgreen:

Manchu - they were on Ft Ord too, yes?

I have not been up there since they built that subway or elevated train tracks to TDC.

You are thinking about 6th Battalion 9th Infantry Regiment they were assigned to the 171st Infantry Brigade at Fort Wainwright, Alaska. Been there did that for awhile.

I was in the 2nd Battalion (they were reactivated in 1975) and assigned to 1st Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, at Camp Casey, ROK.

The VFW was not there when I was there. The only bar to the left was a Country and Western bar.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm

I figured this would count towards a short story.

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:52 pm
Laager wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:32 pm
Even the Grease fun I often carried was not user friendly without ear pro and one eye closed.
Hey, what happens on bivouac, stays on bivouac. :oh:
LOL.....I loved the heck out of that gun, well after about 45 or so days spent at the range, until I could call the number of shots that I wanted to come out of the barrel. Our Master Sergeant was a hard task master. He really, really disliked spray and prays.

All kinds of weird things happen in the shower tent or hootch.

I entered the shower tent and there was Pvt Spencer trying to do the helicopter, while talking smack about what he had planned for our upcoming R&R.

Spindler: Hey Corporal I won the helicopter challenge. If you would have been here a few minutes ago, you could have watched me win.

Me: Hmmmm, I've seen it before (at Border Star) It's not a thrill, since I've seen it before. You might want to lay off those Filipino steroids you've been taking. From what I hear size does matter and you were short changed at birth.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7614
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 pm

Which version of the M3 did y'all have back then ?

The early one with the crank or the later one that you had to use a finger to cock it ?

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 pm
Which version of the M3 did y'all have back then ?

The early one with the crank or the later one that you had to use a finger to cock it ?
The ones I used were the M3A1 series, they used a "finger hole" in the bolt to draw the bolt section rearwards. The dust cover was the safety. While I was in Korea, I saw some of their ROK soldiers (the ones doing their mandatory service 2 years) using the M3. My last tour in Korea was in 82/82 and the conscripts easily stood out, they were all using WWII U.S. military firearms.

From what I remember, the M3 had several issues, mainly with the cocking handle/bolt retraction mechanism on some weapons, barrel removal and retention as well as easily bent rear sights.

I never had any issues with the M3A1, the magazines were a pain to load, even using the removable stock/magazine loader.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7614
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:13 pm

Laager wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 pm
Which version of the M3 did y'all have back then ?

The early one with the crank or the later one that you had to use a finger to cock it ?
The ones I used were the M3A1 series, they used a "finger hole" in the bolt to draw the bolt section rearwards. The dust cover was the safety. While I was in Korea, I saw some of their ROK soldiers (the ones doing their mandatory service 2 years) using the M3. My last tour in Korea was in 82/82 and the conscripts easily stood out, they were all using WWII U.S. military firearms.

From what I remember, the M3 had several issues, mainly with the cocking handle/bolt retraction mechanism on some weapons, barrel removal and retention as well as easily bent rear sights.

I never had any issues with the M3A1, the magazines were a pain to load, even using the removable stock/magazine loader.
I've had zero experience with an M3 (closest thing to a submachine gun I've handled was a Bruger & Thomet TP-9 and that was a semi-auto civilian model), but I do tend to read a lot about WW2 weapons.

Probably explains why most of the books on my bookshelf are either value guides or reference manuals. There's a couple biographies of guys like Chris Kyle, Marcus Luttrel and Richard Marcinko, but mostly gun books.

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:13 pm
Laager wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 pm
Which version of the M3 did y'all have back then ?

The early one with the crank or the later one that you had to use a finger to cock it ?
The ones I used were the M3A1 series, they used a "finger hole" in the bolt to draw the bolt section rearwards. The dust cover was the safety. While I was in Korea, I saw some of their ROK soldiers (the ones doing their mandatory service 2 years) using the M3. My last tour in Korea was in 82/82 and the conscripts easily stood out, they were all using WWII U.S. military firearms.

From what I remember, the M3 had several issues, mainly with the cocking handle/bolt retraction mechanism on some weapons, barrel removal and retention as well as easily bent rear sights.

I never had any issues with the M3A1, the magazines were a pain to load, even using the removable stock/magazine loader.
I've had zero experience with an M3 (closest thing to a submachine gun I've handled was a Bruger & Thomet TP-9 and that was a semi-auto civilian model), but I do tend to read a lot about WW2 weapons.

Probably explains why most of the books on my bookshelf are either value guides or reference manuals. There's a couple biographies of guys like Chris Kyle, Marcus Luttrel and Richard Marcinko, but mostly gun books.



We were allowed to sign out any weapon that was in the arms room, as long as it was not assigned to someone else. Also we had to be qualified as well.

The funny thing was we could carry belt knives, but had to sign bayonets in and out of the arms room. I made the mistake of sharpening one in basic training and they almost made me pay for it.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7614
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Why weren't you supposed to sharpen a bayonet ?

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:24 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 pm
Why weren't you supposed to sharpen a bayonet ?
I never learned why, evidently if I made rank I would get "the big picture", I hit Corporal (instead of Spec4), then made Sergeant, then Staff Sergeant and was in line for Sergeant First Class. I never even caught a glimpse of "the big picture".

I was lucky and the unit armorer had some "off the books" and just DX'd it.

It wasn't like we did not have knives in the barracks, in fact I saw a few knife fights in the barracks.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9162
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by NT2C » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 pm

Laager wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:24 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 pm
Why weren't you supposed to sharpen a bayonet ?
I never learned why, evidently if I made rank I would get "the big picture", I hit Corporal (instead of Spec4), then made Sergeant, then Staff Sergeant and was in line for Sergeant First Class. I never even caught a glimpse of "the big picture".

I was lucky and the unit armorer had some "off the books" and just DX'd it.

It wasn't like we did not have knives in the barracks, in fact I saw a few knife fights in the barracks.
I'm convinced that as you go up the chain of command the "bigger picture" is a coded reference to your waistline. :|
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:35 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 pm
Laager wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:24 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 pm
Why weren't you supposed to sharpen a bayonet ?
I never learned why, evidently if I made rank I would get "the big picture", I hit Corporal (instead of Spec4), then made Sergeant, then Staff Sergeant and was in line for Sergeant First Class. I never even caught a glimpse of "the big picture".

I was lucky and the unit armorer had some "off the books" and just DX'd it.

It wasn't like we did not have knives in the barracks, in fact I saw a few knife fights in the barracks.
I'm convinced that as you go up the chain of command the "bigger picture" is a coded reference to your waistline. :|
or ego....although James said the Navy used to refer to incompetent (NCOs) as they have reached their highest level of incompetents and can go no lower. So they sent them over to be Master At Arms (it wasn't a MOS or rating back then).
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:56 pm

Laager wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:35 am
NT2C wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 pm
Laager wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:24 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 pm
Why weren't you supposed to sharpen a bayonet ?
I never learned why, evidently if I made rank I would get "the big picture", I hit Corporal (instead of Spec4), then made Sergeant, then Staff Sergeant and was in line for Sergeant First Class. I never even caught a glimpse of "the big picture".

I was lucky and the unit armorer had some "off the books" and just DX'd it.

It wasn't like we did not have knives in the barracks, in fact I saw a few knife fights in the barracks.
I'm convinced that as you go up the chain of command the "bigger picture" is a coded reference to your waistline. :|
or ego....although James said the Navy used to refer to incompetent (NCOs) as they have reached their highest level of incompetents and can go no lower. So they sent them over to be Master At Arms (it wasn't a MOS or rating back then).
Figures that the USN would plagiarize the Peter principle. :rofl:
Tony D Tiger

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:28 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:56 pm
Laager wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:35 am
NT2C wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 pm
Laager wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:24 pm


I never learned why, evidently if I made rank I would get "the big picture", I hit Corporal (instead of Spec4), then made Sergeant, then Staff Sergeant and was in line for Sergeant First Class. I never even caught a glimpse of "the big picture".

I was lucky and the unit armorer had some "off the books" and just DX'd it.

It wasn't like we did not have knives in the barracks, in fact I saw a few knife fights in the barracks.
I'm convinced that as you go up the chain of command the "bigger picture" is a coded reference to your waistline. :|
or ego....although James said the Navy used to refer to incompetent (NCOs) as they have reached their highest level of incompetents and can go no lower. So they sent them over to be Master At Arms (it wasn't a MOS or rating back then).
Figures that the USN would plagiarize the Peter principle. :rofl:
I read that book....lol

Pretty much sums up the military for sure or at least it used too.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:15 pm

Lil and her cousin Susan took off for a trip and left me at home alone. Well James was just down the road, so technically I was not alone. However, all the females that stay at my house were gone as well as our daughter.

James: Hey what are you planning on doing for supper tonight?

Me: I do not know, maybe Mexican?

James: Don't worry I've got the next three days covered. Meet me at my house and then we can go grab something to eat.

Me: Sounds good, be there in 20 or so.

It took me 30 minutes due to traffic issues, but I finally made it. Evidently I should have asked more questions.

James' master plan was to hit up the different churches in town for a free meal or three.

While the food was excellent and free, neither Lil or Susan were happy.

I probably should have kept my mouth shut when she said we (James and I) embarrassed them.


I'd like to go on record that if anyone should be banned from fireworks/explosives it is James. He blew the toilet up when we were in the 9th grade. He left me standing there covered in toilet water.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Laager
* * * * *
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: My Job, My Hell...

Post by Laager » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm

My cousin James sent this to me, Lil already told me not to even think about it. Then she called his wife Susan......


🚨Public Announcement🚨
Please help us get the word out there. MountainVIEW Church will open our doors this Sunday 14th-Tuesday night 16th to begin to take people off the streets or anyone needing a warm place to stay. We got a winter storm rolling in! We will have snacks, food, water, available. #loveyourcity #reach1
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Post Reply

Return to “Survival Experiences”