It always happens when you least expect it.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ax-Man

It always happens when you least expect it.

Post by Ax-Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:20 pm

So my wife and I where sitting at home the other night in our apartment and the the fire alarm goes off. Not the little smoke detector mind you, but the "oh shit the building is burning down loud as fucking hell ear piercing flashing strobe light" fire alarm. We where both lounging in our undies so we jumped up and quickly got dressed. Snagged my wallet, phone, keys, and I went for my bob. Only there was one little problem. We had just been on a camping trip and my bob was in a terrible state of disarray. It's contents strewn about, sitting a sad mostly empty shell. After testing my equipment on the camping trip there where several items that needed replenishing and the rest was getting a serious overhaul. Even my first aid kit was disassembled and in the middle of being reworked. So I had to leave it and we where out of the building in less than 2 minutes. Funny, out of the the 24 apartments in my building only 5 or 6 other people even left. As we where going down we passed one of our neighbours poking her head out of the door asking if someone was cooking something. I said I don't know as I went by and she went back inside.

Turned out to be a false alarm. Just like the one we had a year ago.

Lesson learned. Always have your bob ready. Always.

And as noted in a recent thread about another fire drill FAIL, people are very very stupid.
Live to train, train to live.

The Great PAW Library Project.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: It always happens when you least expect it.

Post by TDW586 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:36 pm

Dude, that sucks. I do the same thing; constantly reworking my gear to the point where I essentially don't have a BOB or EDC (especially the EDC) for significant periods of time.

My luck, next time I have all my gear laid out to take photos, the nukes will start landing. :lol:

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 am

You have experienced one of my biggest fears. After coming back from testing my gear or in the middle of reworking my gear an emergency arises where I would have to leave within 5 minutes.

I have tried to empty out my gear and repack in fast in an emergency drill but have never got below 12 minutes. :(

Jhangles

Post by Jhangles » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:21 am

I always try to wear pants or at least sweat pants. I would hate to be standing in my front yard in only boxer briefs, clutching my gun collection, and watching my place burn down. :lol: :oops:

jaybird
Favorite Zombie Movies: the entire Dead' series

Post by jaybird » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:08 pm

He's right about the clothes. Keep some nearby if you expect to be nude or semi-nude in the event of an emergency. We had a fire a couple of years ago and all I had on were sweat pants and a under shirt, but no socks or shoes...in Winter :roll: .
" Memory is like a knife. It can hurt you."-Lady Murasaki, Hannibal Rising

" Civility must be rewarded...or else there's no use for it. There's no use for it, at all...."- Dr. Logan, DOTD

razi

Post by razi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 pm

grabbing the wallet, car keys, and cell phone are easily as important to grab as your pants.

broylz

Post by broylz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 pm

my BOB is also strewn throughout my garage right now as i had to go through it and then abandoned the project. gonna get it back together tonight though.

as far as other stuff, i take my pants off beside my bed and leave them on my boots so i can get the on in a hurry if i need to. its an old habit. everything stays in the pockets, except the cell phone on the charger next to my pistol in its holster on my bedside table.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Seperate BoB from your camping gear. The stuff you use a lot is your camping/adventure gear. Stuff you know how to use but is cheaper than your camping gear is your BoB.

Plus, a BoB scenerio will have different needs than a hiking/camping scenerio. How often do you need copies of your ID/insurance/docs while camping?
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:15 pm

backup bob! what if you have to gtfo and have another person to drag along? give them your backup bob and hit the road

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:19 am

ninja-elbow wrote:Seperate BoB from your camping gear. The stuff you use a lot is your camping/adventure gear. Stuff you know how to use but is cheaper than your camping gear is your BoB.

Plus, a BoB scenerio will have different needs than a hiking/camping scenerio. How often do you need copies of your ID/insurance/docs while camping?
A good idea for sure.
meatshieldChris wrote:backup bob! what if you have to gtfo and have another person to drag along? give them your backup bob and hit the road
Hey I barely have my first BoB together, forget about a second. :lol:
Live to train, train to live.

The Great PAW Library Project.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:11 am

I'd be the naked guy sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard with my big-ass ed computer reporting to ZS in currant disasters, Guess what's happening right now !
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:26 am

Ever since 6th grade, when I was in the shower and the alarm went off and the teacher made me march out with just a towel on, I have never gone without a plan on how to get out no matter what - with clothes on! :oops:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EvilTOJ
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil movies

Post by EvilTOJ » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:34 am

bonanacrom wrote:I'd be the naked guy sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard with my big-ass ed computer reporting to ZS in currant disasters, Guess what's happening right now !
Or posting in WWYD "Does anyone know how to put out housefires? Need answer fast!"
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'm just going to surround my house with outward facing treadmills.
I should be fine.

Return to “Survival Experiences”