Near-Death Experiments in Food

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombiepreparation

Re: Near-Death Experiments in Food

Post by zombiepreparation » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:I have a can of evaporated milk that 'expired' in '02 that I'm working up the courage to try.
Follow-up:

No odd sound when I opened the 10 year old can of evaporated milk last night to add to my tea.

The color was a few shades... only shades, not color... darker than the unexpired same-as-this-brand I would normally use.

It smelled like I'm use to it smelling, even after ten years.

When poured into a spoon I noticed there was a bit of separating going on like was mentioned in the above post so it didn't shake me too much.

I tasted a tiny bit from the spoon and it tasted normal, then a full sip. Nothing. I put a hefty amount in my tea (as usual) and it tasted normal, but I'm telling ya those next three or so hours had me extremely aware of any hint of my body discovering I'd done the wrong thing in drinking it. It is laughable in the telling, but I was very very nervous, though bouyed up by the posts about the very good probability the contents were still safe. This morning I had more tea and poured generously again without fear this time. Whew! Then started kickin myself for not having learned this earlier; last November an acquaintance offered me a CASE of evaporated milk she was never going to get around to using but I turned it down because the cans were two months past the use by date. Bugger. As the saying goes: "If I'd only known then what I know now."

I talked about the experiment today and a friend has offered me a 10 year old can of sliced potatoes they have and haven't had the heart to toss into the garbage and will not for any reason eat it. It's mine for another near-death experiment if I want it. I'll think about it but, seriously, my nervousness last night over the milk was almost palpable, so if I decide to accept the mission I will be putting a little distance between the potato experiment and the milk experiment. :)

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 am

I enjoyed your report--educational and entertaining. :)
zombiepreparation wrote:<snip> if I decide to accept the mission I will be putting a little distance between the potato experiment and the milk experiment. :)
Absolutely essential to obtain valid results from your scientific experiments. :D
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 pm

squinty wrote:
shrapnel wrote:Obviously it is fixable, and more of a function of packaging and environment than time. Just sayin. :wink:
DOes storing it mixed with little grains of white rice help, like they do in restaurant salt shakers?
Yeah, it's mostly a problem for me when it's still in the cardboard container you get at the store. And again, as problems go, that one ranks slightly below having an annoying song stuck in my head for a few hours.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

shrapnel wrote:
squinty wrote:
shrapnel wrote:Obviously it is fixable, and more of a function of packaging and environment than time. Just sayin. :wink:
DOes storing it mixed with little grains of white rice help, like they do in restaurant salt shakers?
Yeah, it's mostly a problem for me when it's still in the cardboard container you get at the store. And again, as problems go, that one ranks slightly below having an annoying song stuck in my head for a few hours.
Lollipop lollipop o lolly lolly lolly lollipop! (POP)...ba dum bum bum...
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Product : Store-brand canned pears (in light syrup)
Best-By date : 2005
Consumed : No. I am not that stupid. Can sprung a leak in the bottom seal (sometime in 2/2012), I bagged & disposed of it and am thoroughly cleaning the shelf and the other 5 items it leaked syrup on.

Summary - canned fruit is probably only good for a few years past that date, I've had trouble with other old fruit cans before.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 pm

duodecima wrote:Product : Store-brand canned pears (in light syrup)
Consumed : No. I am not that stupid. Can sprung a leak in the bottom seal (sometime in 2/2012), I bagged & disposed of it and am thoroughly cleaning the shelf and the other 5 items it leaked syrup on.

Summary - canned fruit is probably only good for a few years past that date, I've had trouble with other old fruit cans before.
Pineapple slices are the worst for that. I had a can that was leaking a bit fail violently when I picked it up to clean the mess up. Seriously, bubbly pineapple juice, EVERYWHERE!

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Confucius wrote:

Pineapple slices are the worst for that. I had a can that was leaking a bit fail violently when I picked it up to clean the mess up. Seriously, bubbly pineapple juice, EVERYWHERE!
If the can "failed violently", I asume it was pressurized, right? Scary shit.
Off the internet until further notice.

Corbin Row

Post by Corbin Row » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:14 pm

While I don't have anything to play this interesting game with right now, I played it for real for a while there. Working in the auto industry and divorcing at the same time in 2008, I ended up living in a camper that had been sitting for years. Still had food in there. Cans from as early as six months previous to years older. Where it's kept is actually a big factor since the Cream of Chicken soup that was roughly six months old looked like spooled yellow cotton on the inside. I passed on it. :? The can had a dent in it but I think it was mostly the temperature extremes that did it. Some of the others were in better shape but I passed on most of them because better shape than spooled cotton soup is still kind of not good.

Conversely, the oatmeal I found in there was edible.

Worst near death experience I had with food was that I'm a milk chugger. It wasn't cottage cheese but really really bad and I had two big gulps down before I knew it. It was 10 seconds before I got my stomach's return policy on that but I was in bad shape the next day and into the next. Had to make camp right by the bathroom. Third day I wasn't 100% but I was functional.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 am

Corbin Row wrote:While I don't have anything to play this interesting game with right now, I played it for real for a while there. Working in the auto industry and divorcing at the same time in 2008, I ended up living in a camper that had been sitting for years. Still had food in there. Cans from as early as six months previous to years older. Where it's kept is actually a big factor since the Cream of Chicken soup that was roughly six months old looked like spooled yellow cotton on the inside. I passed on it. :? The can had a dent in it but I think it was mostly the temperature extremes that did it. Some of the others were in better shape but I passed on most of them because better shape than spooled cotton soup is still kind of not good.

Conversely, the oatmeal I found in there was edible.

Worst near death experience I had with food was that I'm a milk chugger. It wasn't cottage cheese but really really bad and I had two big gulps down before I knew it. It was 10 seconds before I got my stomach's return policy on that but I was in bad shape the next day and into the next. Had to make camp right by the bathroom. Third day I wasn't 100% but I was functional.
Dang! Good post though.

This was a great sentence:
It was 10 seconds before I got my stomach's return policy on that
:lol: I do like a well turned phrase. You have the knack for it.
While I don't have anything to play this interesting game with right now
looked like spooled yellow cotton

DynamicRabbit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by DynamicRabbit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 am

It wasn't an experiment, but it was bad. 18th birthday at Olive Garden, had the ravioli. All was great until the very last piece. was hard as a rock. Didn't eat it, obviously, but I got a wicked case of food poisoning. It was years before I went back to an olive garden, and I got sick again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:04 am

Made a thai curry for dinner tonight using a can of Mae Ploy red curry paste with a use by date of 2007 and a can of coconut milk that expired in 2010.
The dish came out well, it is possible that the curry paste had lost a little bit of heat but the color was right and all the flavors seemed to be there.
The coconut milk was completely solid, like a chunk of soft butter, flavor and color were right and it liquified with heat, but it didn't emulsify into the dish quite as expected... it seemed to separate a bit.
Still alive so far and not particularly worried.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 am

When my dad served in the military back in the late 60's/early 70's there field rations were a mix of pre-WW2 Norwegian and WW2 German canned foods, everything nick-named "dead man in a can". Apparently everything was just brown mush and tasted the same no matter what the can said, but nobody ever got sick of it...

I've never really cared about the dates on stuff, if it looks and smells ok, it's ok, never had a problem. I cant list everything, and dont remember dates and such, but some things i've eaten are: Canned pears~5 years over date, condensed milk~10 years over date, canned meat~5 years over date, grandmas conserverd pumkin~20 years old, grandpas mixed berries in alcohol~various batches 5-35 years old, milk~ frozen for 5 years, Raspberry jam~10 years over date, and so on, moldy cheese~mold removed before eating. Theres lots more that i cant rember, and nothing has made me sick so far.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:22 pm

My wife always gives me grief for keeping ground beef a little too long. I usually buy three pounds on Tuesdays and it last though the week. If she sees it on Friday or Saturday and it's no longer bright red she insist I throw it out. The meat market I get it from has a sale on ground beef on Tuesdays and I usually have to wait for them to grind some fresh because they are out of it. Tuesday night I went and picked up our weeks supplies, andsince the week old stuff still looked OK I didn't toss it out.
Last night I was going to make hamburgers since she was in the bedroom taking a nap I cooked up the week old stuff and then woke her up once it was browned from cooking. I asuume she thought I was using the new meat, silly girl.
I hate wasting food and if the meat is not smelling rancid, or as long as it isn't "sticky" when you try to make a hamburger patty I will usually just cook it a little slower and longer, put on some extra salt and pepper. There have been a very few times when time when I should probably tossed it and the meat did have a noticable taste even after cooking but I have never gotten sick from it.

I did point out to her a few weeks ago that the strawberry jam she was using on her toast was dated 2007. I had found it in our emergency supplies and opened it a couple of months ago. I had been eating it without any problems. She didn't seem to mind the old jam, she just has a thing about brown meat.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:42 pm

tedbeau wrote:My wife always gives me grief for keeping ground beef a little too long. I usually buy three pounds on Tuesdays and it last though the week. If she sees it on Friday or Saturday and it's no longer bright red she insist I throw it out. The meat market I get it from has a sale on ground beef on Tuesdays and I usually have to wait for them to grind some fresh because they are out of it. Tuesday night I went and picked up our weeks supplies, andsince the week old stuff still looked OK I didn't toss it out.
Last night I was going to make hamburgers since she was in the bedroom taking a nap I cooked up the week old stuff and then woke her up once it was browned from cooking. I asuume she thought I was using the new meat, silly girl.
I hate wasting food and if the meat is not smelling rancid, or as long as it isn't "sticky" when you try to make a hamburger patty I will usually just cook it a little slower and longer, put on some extra salt and pepper. There have been a very few times when time when I should probably tossed it and the meat did have a noticable taste even after cooking but I have never gotten sick from it.

I did point out to her a few weeks ago that the strawberry jam she was using on her toast was dated 2007. I had found it in our emergency supplies and opened it a couple of months ago. I had been eating it without any problems. She didn't seem to mind the old jam, she just has a thing about brown meat.
If you cook shit thoroughly enough, it becomes safe to eat. It won't taste good, but it won't kill you either. :lol:
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Czechnology wrote:
tedbeau wrote:My wife always gives me grief for keeping ground beef a little too long. I usually buy three pounds on Tuesdays and it last though the week. If she sees it on Friday or Saturday and it's no longer bright red she insist I throw it out. The meat market I get it from has a sale on ground beef on Tuesdays and I usually have to wait for them to grind some fresh because they are out of it. Tuesday night I went and picked up our weeks supplies, andsince the week old stuff still looked OK I didn't toss it out.

If you cook shit thoroughly enough, it becomes safe to eat. It won't taste good, but it won't kill you either. :lol:
IIRC (butchers and meat science people, correct me if I'm wrong) the only reason store bought meat is red is because it's been nitrogen fixed, otherwise, even kept perfectly, it turns brown very quickly as a natural process of muscle tissue exposed directly to oxygen. Keep it cold in the fridge, take it pretty directly from fridge to being cooked, cook well. (I don't think I'd leave it in the fridge more than a week, even if you're probably OK. There's official guidance on this somewhere.)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Krustofski wrote:
Confucius wrote:

If the can "failed violently", I asume it was pressurized, right? Scary shit.
Yeah, it was up at the cabin a few years back, I went to go put some cans in the pantry and I saw juice around the bottom of a can of pineapple slices. Picked it up and the bottom seam failed along one side and sprayed juice everywhere.
Violently may have been a slight exaggeration, but still, messy as all hell.

Corbin Row

Post by Corbin Row » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 am

Sticky, slimy, and stinky are my three S's. If they match, don't f$#$ with them. Now, I'd like to find a jerk recipe for near rancid meat if it's out there. :)

Corbin Row

Post by Corbin Row » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:48 am

Lots of salts, I know, but it you have bonuses, I'd welcome them. If I missed a post, please re-direct me.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Product: Orville Redenbacher's Low Calorie Popcurn
Best-By Date: April 2007
Consumed: 8 March 2012

Sensory Observations: The plastic wrapping was still in good condition, with no holes or tears. Bag itself was sealed well with just a bit of oil having leaked through to the outside. Popped up fine, with just a few more unpopped kernels than normal. Tastes great, with no obvious differences between these and any other bag of popcorn.

Results:
Reviewer experienced no ill effects.

Yes, I'm really boring when it comes to stuff like this. :oops: Maybe someday I'll go nutso and eat a 40-year old bag of potato chips or something, but for now it's just five-year old popcorn.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:14 am

Shiloh wrote:<snip> Yes, I'm really boring when it comes to stuff like this. :oops: Maybe someday I'll go nutso and eat a 40-year old bag of potato chips or something, but for now it's just five-year old popcorn.
Your NDE was plenty adventurous; keep up the good work!
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 am

Corbin Row wrote:

Sticky, slimy, and stinky are my three S's. If they match, don't f$#$ with them. Now, I'd like to find a jerk recipe for near rancid meat if it's out there. :)
Brown (or red) meat isn't bad for you.

Green, fuzzy meat OTOH....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Product: 1991 Issue MRE (Maple Cake & Ham Omelet)
Best-By Date: Well Past the Apocalypse :lol:
Consumed: Had friends over last night (March 9th 2012) and we got into talking about my past military adventures during Desert Storm, etc. So I pulled out a closet stored MRE from 91'. Hell I remember them giving us MRE's and T-Rats from the 50's, now that is a Near-Death Experiment.

So I cracked it open and said "You wanna survive, you got to learn what these taste like" (since they are non-military survivalist/preppers). Only one person tested the Ham Omelet besides me (still tasted good, no odd color, smell just as rank as i remembered it, probably a little better lol). Maple cake was still as awesome as I remembered. Washed it down with a cold beer.

Sensory Observations: Maple cake was perfectly preserved and fine. Ham omelet still had that nasty odor and tasted just the same. These things are near bomb proof. Cracker and cheese we had was well preserved. Did not dare touch the Tabasco since that was the only thing that killed the demonic camel spider when I was over there.

Results:
Slight hang over, not due to MRE. Normal excretions as well. No MRE doom here.

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:23 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16852830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
German pensioner eats 64-year-old US lard

A German pensioner who received a tin of American lard 64 years ago in an aid package has only just tasted it, after discovering that it is still edible.

"I just didn't want to throw it away," said Hans Feldmeier, 87.

[...]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16852830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:
Off the internet until further notice.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Well good for him!
He had it tested just to be sure and then they ate it.
Makes sense to me.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Survival Experiences”