Late fall camping trip

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Late fall camping trip

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:00 am

Just did a short camping trip and lucked out with a little snow. Liked to hear the weather but remain warm inside the tipi. Used the Kifaru 4-man tipi, EMR and a homemade stove.

4-man setup.

Used a summer bag inside a MSS Green bag with downmat 9dlx. It was in the 20's and both summer bags together worked well.

Kifaru EMR.

Stove.

Flame on.

Potato cooking trick for fry pans without lids. I just use my Ti bowl for a lid to steam the spuds.

Toss in a hotdog for good measure.

Got lucky with some snow. Kinda nice to be cooking in a warm tent and hear the stuff fall.

Only a little fell but the woods sure looks nice.

Good times. Tipi was nice however the pack must have been 60 lbs. Been rolling out with sub 40 with the paratipi/small stove. Still it was nice to have the extra room and draft free liner.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

anotheroldfart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell, they're all good.

Re: Late fall camping trip

Post by anotheroldfart » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 am

Looks like a good trip.

Hopefully we can get some pics on our short trip into the hills this weekend. Our forecast calls for a good chance of snow Saturday night, but forecasts in CO are never accurate more than 15 minutes out ;)
Murphy's Military Corolary #1
Remember, your weapon system was provided by the lowest bidder...

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:30 am

Awesome Woods, always great to read your reports!

I too do love that sound of falling snow, very serene. Mighty fine looking homemade stove there as well :)
Man is a beast of prey

KillaICM
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by KillaICM » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 am

Very cool outing. :)

And I really like that portable stove, it's just so cute. :lol:

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 am

Your timing could not be better , I was recently trying to explain the Para-Tipi and stove to my wife .

This will help a lot. Thanks.

:D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 pm

mk_ultra wrote:Your timing could not be better , I was recently trying to explain the Para-Tipi and stove to my wife .

This will help a lot. Thanks.

:D
Paratipi and small stove is my shelter for the BOB and AT outings in the winter. Also take it down to the river. Did this a few weeks ago during some fly fishing. I was warm during the day but the temps fell into the teens so setup on one of my most used camp sites on the river. Guessing only used by me however.

Here is is with the stove burning in the AM. I use boots for fsihing small rivers as don't go into the water much to spook them

Some ice from overnight. Was in the 50's the day before. Temps must have dropped 75% overnight.

There are pros and cons to the shelter but the stove is what this is all about. If in a hurry I don't set the thing up however I can get a fire in any weather. Kinda hard to sit by a campfire in rain/snow. In any case it runs for about 20-30 minutes then needs more wood so no over night heat unless someone is forced to stay up. But a few hours takes the bite out of the cold. Feel like a new person in a shelter 100f above the outside temps. I tend to run it for maybe 4-5 hours if there is nothing else to do.

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:58 pm

nice photos!
I always liked the idea of open floored tents, but what happens if it rains? does it run right inside?
I imagine you have to be extra picky about finding a nice level spot for your camp.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:17 pm

For the most part a floorless shelter is drier than one with a floor as the ground will absorb moisture unlike a normal tent that will trap the water inside. Each time you go out to take a piss etc in the rain water you bring in says in. Now clearly if you put a floorless shelter over a depression that is really a puddle waiting to happen there maybe issues. So site selection and experience with pitching any floorless shelter or tarp for that matter is a bit more important. However with good site selection you will in fact be dried even if this sounds counter intuitive. I use a small water proof ground cloth to protect my sleeping bag and pad. Then there is the fact fire and nylon floors don’t mix. You can also do other fun things like cook a meal etc and not care about dumping the boiling water. Walk inside your shelter with your boots on dragging God knows what in. Orally more livable in my view not that I have anything against quality tents with awnings etc.

On the issue of a level spot the shelter can conform to the earth. Meaning it goes over rocks small brush etc and works with the ground. Most tents have a fixed foot print that is not very forgiving. So for a larger shelter like the bigger Tipis I only need the sleeping area level. For the smaller paratipi or other tarp shelters I have to find a flat spot as there really is not a great deal of room in the first place.

mrkash

Post by mrkash » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Woods Walker,

I've been watching your posts over the past couple of years and I've got to say, "Awesome Job!" I love your pics and inside experience. I wish I lived closer to you to join in on some of your trips! Anyway, thanks for all the awesome posts!
Mr Kash

It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it - Burt Gummer

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:40 pm

great write up! and thanks for the extra info about floorless shelters, I never thought about those benefits and had wondered about their use. Then only time I've known people to do a floorless shelter in the desert has been purely as a shade structure.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 pm

I need a lighter weight camping skillet. Potatoes and hotdogs looks DELICIOUS.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:00 am

Squirrley wrote:I need a lighter weight camping skillet. Potatoes and hotdogs looks DELICIOUS.
I'm going to have to join YT in the "remedial reading" class. I was sure you'd written potatoes and hedgehogs.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:55 am

sheddi wrote:
Squirrley wrote:I need a lighter weight camping skillet. Potatoes and hotdogs looks DELICIOUS.
I'm going to have to join YT in the "remedial reading" class. I was sure you'd written potatoes and hedgehogs.
well, it's really more Magical Misreading than Remedial Reading, but now that you mention it that little guy does look yummy. ;)

You're welcome to join me in the class at any time. Its lack of accuracy is made up for in its inherent comic opportunities. :) Yesterday's was "Surly Disaster" instead of "Slurry Disaster".
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Yaaaay lysdexia!
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

harleytrypp

Post by harleytrypp » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Y.T. wrote:
sheddi wrote:
well, it's really more Magical Misreading than Remedial Reading, but now that you mention it that little guy does look yummy. ;)

You're welcome to join me in the class at any time. Its lack of accuracy is made up for in its inherent comic opportunities. :) Yesterday's was "Surly Disaster" instead of "Slurry Disaster".
The Gypsies, would pack the hedgehog in wet clay and toss it in the campfire. After the clay dried and baked, crack it open and the quills stay embedded in the clay.... Hedgehog on the halfshell. :D
This Forum post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Squirrley

The Ti fry pan is very UL. Must be 4-5 oz.

YT.

Floorless is far more livable in the winter cold. Lots of stuff can be done in the shelter without getting exposed to the cold and snow/freezing rain. But like everything else there are downsides.

Hanuman110

Post by Hanuman110 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:36 pm

WW, I noticed in the pics at the top of this thread that you have your sleeping area on the opposite side of the stove from its opening. Wouldn't it be easier to feed the stove in the middle of the night if it's door was towards you?

I'm looking forward to the day I can get a Kifaru tipi. I love my parahootch but it's tiny.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Hanuman110 wrote:WW, I noticed in the pics at the top of this thread that you have your sleeping area on the opposite side of the stove from its opening. Wouldn't it be easier to feed the stove in the middle of the night if it's door was towards you?

I'm looking forward to the day I can get a Kifaru tipi. I love my parahootch but it's tiny.
I like to cook and hang out around the stove like a camp fire. This means I am up and about. The bed roll stuff would just get in the way. The Downmat is also an issue. Any sparks would pop it. Also there is no need to feed the stove at night beyond the hang out times before bed. When you go into the bag warm the whole night is better. However at times I have pointed the stove to the bag. Did this with 3 people in my 4-man as my bed was near the door and in the direction of the stove. Sometimes for a few crazy cold nights if the bottom falls out (-10 to -25) I want to run the stove before getting out of the bag. However using the stove as a camp fire works best for me.

Thinking of taking my new Osprey Argon 85 out for a weekend on the AT. Maybe I will roll out Friday night and camp near the trail than push off for the rest of the weekend. Weather calling for light snow and lows in the teens for the weekend. Should be a cake walk. Looking to do maybe 15-miles. Hope I can get the time.

mtnfolk mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..

Post by mtnfolk mike » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:46 pm

awesome pics man... thanks for sharing... :D i love that tipi... i need to pick one up one of these days...
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks. This weekend trip was a no go do to work. Just did some winter hikes however later this week I am going to take a few days and roll out on the AT with the Pulk sled. Was going to try my hand at UL winter camping again but a cold blast is on the way. In the hills of NY it might be -10ish. So the pulk sled, stove, downmat 9dlx and 4-man tipi with liner will be used. Maybe take some photos of the pulk sled trip.

Return to “Survival Experiences”