strangest thing you have ever seen

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Re: strangest thing you have ever seen

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 am

shrapnel wrote:I must have misunderstood your statement, then.
I should have been as clear in my first reply as I was in my explanation.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:36 pm

M203Tim wrote:
avatar wrote:some friends and i were sitting on my deck drinking some beers (only our first, we weren't drunk...yet) when we see a bright red light streak across the sky and stop high above us. it was dusk, so it was dark enough and high enough that we couldn't make it out, but it then started to get smaller and smaller as if it was flying vertically. about 5 minutes later an apache flew through the area. there was also a strange-looking flare-like thing that fizzled after the apache left the area. It wasn't a flare, but i don't know how else to describe it. we joked about it being an alien ejector seat. weird, huh?
I've seen damn near the same thing at Camp Roberts out here in California. We were march ordering our howitzers when my section chief said "what the fuck is that?" well my whole section just stopped and watched it for awhile, it looked like a bright red smear of light that slowly retracted on itself until it disappeared. we tried looking at it with NODs but it was too bright and washed them out. I've always wondered what the hell that thing was.
I saw a meteorite one time that exploded in the air, similar to the one last year in Russia, but not near as big, or at least not near as close.

We were returning from deer hunting and stopped at a rest area for a bathroom break. As we were walking from the car to the rest room I saw what started out like a normal shooting star, although maybe a little bigger and brighter. All of a sudden it turned to a greenish light and you could see that it exploded. There was a trail of light (debris I guess that was visible after the explosion for a half a second.) The other guys with me saw the trail after the explosion but missed the actual explosion. This was about 10 years ago. As I recall there was a newspaper article about people seeing it.

My mother tells a story about her, my father, aunt and older cousin watching a ufo do stunt flying over the lake by our property up north years ago. She said the lights did all sorts of acrobatic maneuvers for about 1/2 an hour.

Tinderbox

Post by Tinderbox » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53 am

In the early 1980s my family lived in eastern Washington. I used to take off by myself and explore the open desert areas. One day I rounded a bend in a dirt road and came upon seven or eight skinned carcasses of what I thought were dogs piled among the sagebrush and left to rot. It was only later that it occurred to me that they were coyotes that someone had shot and skinned. Every time I see the part in the movie Resident Evil where those T-virus infected Dobermans attack, it reminds me of that pile of coyote carcasses.
"...the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire..."

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:18 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:I hear you :)
If you read back (quite) a few pages you'll see my post about a big cat attack on our sheep. Crazy but true.
Link me, please. I have been trying hard to find this post!

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:26 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:
If you read back (quite) a few pages you'll see my post about a big cat attack on our sheep. Crazy but true.
There you go.
I still get pissed off if anyone says to me 'it was just a big dog' :vmad:
I also still keep my wits about me every time I go out in my fields to check the sheep, even though it was 10 years ago.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:41 pm

itzybitzyspyder wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
itzybitzyspyder wrote:
shrapnel wrote: Pure substances freeze at a higher temperature than mixtures. The contaminants interfere with the crystalline lattice formation of the solid. It's why they salt the roads during winter up north- the salt makes the water freeze at a lower temperature, thus reducing the amount of ice on the roadway. So it could have been alcohol, or salt, or minerals, or whatever, causing it. Or it wasn't water.

I still bet it was strange to see.
That's silly. If that were true then salt wouldn't melt ice, but only prevent it.
First paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing-p ... ssion#Uses
Um, I wasn't argueing whether or not it lowered the melting point but that it didn't disrupt crystaline structures. The puddle was likely salt water much like that in Salt Lake. Edit* Seeing as it was an entire parking lots worth of runoff that would have passed over the depression. Salt, water and saltwater each have their own melting point and crystalline structure when solid.
It absolutely does interfere with the formation of a lattice in ice. When salt dissolves in water it dissociates into a Na+ and a Cl-. Water, being polar, orients itself around these ions (this is known as a hydration shell) disrupting hydrogen bonds and preventing the formation of a regular lattice.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:47 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:
There you go.
I still get pissed off if anyone says to me 'it was just a big dog' :vmad:
I also still keep my wits about me every time I go out in my fields to check the sheep, even though it was 10 years ago.
A bit of topic but you never know...

I don't know if you are familiar with how many cats attack but they basically sink their front paws into your shoulders while kicking wildly at you abdomen with its rear legs, claws out.......so if there is a repeat sighting that turns ugly then keep your arms across your abdomen, people have been killed by cats that they outweighed 3 or 4 to one because of the way many smaller and medium size cats attack prey, I've only seen the results on dog's but still....
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Beyond what I see on wildlife documentaries I am not familiar with how big cats kill, thanks for the info. Though it's about 18 months since I last heard what sounded like puma cries. Yes that seems bizarre but not when you consider I live within easy walking distance of a former big cat park. Though there are no lions, tigers or pumas there now, it's a small animal rescue.

Also back on topic: yesterday I saw a bright light in the early afternoon sky for about 10 seconds before it vanished. It looked too big to be a laser so I have no idea what it was :?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for the link! Most interesting reading.

If you say it was a big cat, I would have to agree. I have seen cows and small game animals killed by dogs and coyotes in the past. The pics you presented are no where close to what I have seen.

We shall not sleep..."

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:16 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thanks for the link! Most interesting reading.

If you say it was a big cat, I would have to agree. I have seen cows and small game animals killed by dogs and coyotes in the past. The pics you presented are no where close to what I have seen.
Thanks, the photos were taken by a cheap disposable camera (remember those?) so they don't show any detail. There were swipe marks up the side of the ram and puncture marks on the throat made by large teeth. None of the rest of the sheep were harmed, which isn't what happens when dogs worry them. Just one of those crazy things that happen, that you know happened even if others doubt, I guess.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:37 am

Years ago I was coon hunting with dogs and some friends. The hounds treed something---it was a fox.
It was fully 30 ft up the tree. Until that day I had no idea a fox could climb a tree

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:05 pm

gundogs wrote:Years ago I was coon hunting with dogs and some friends. The hounds treed something---it was a fox.
It was fully 30 ft up the tree. Until that day I had no idea a fox could climb a tree
What did the fox say about it?
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:19 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
gundogs wrote:Years ago I was coon hunting with dogs and some friends. The hounds treed something---it was a fox.
No.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:38 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIR8RtI9kaw
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Rev wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:
No.
I agree with Rev. None of that crap please.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

lupus lefou
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fav Z Movie: zombieland,
Fav Z Real life experience: living in downtown Detroit for 12 years

Post by lupus lefou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:12 pm

I think this is my favorite post in this whole forum. Some of you people are seen some CRAZY shite! and well ok, i'll play this game.

Strangest things I've ever seen: 1) UFO. Registered with MUFON. October 2000. Driving home from work on the second shift along a major highway where it meets another major highway: (I-696 and I-75 in Michigan). Heading west on 696. To my 2 o'clock at about 60* up,( just at the edge of the windshield) I see a rapidly brightening light green something dive steeply towards the earth...and sorta towards my right. It's a REAL STEEP DIVE. Like straight in. It's brightness quickly makes it the brightest thing in the sky, even more so than the orange sodium arc street lights around that interchange. This thing then quickly banks up from it's death dive - probably MORE than a 90* turn - and then it levels out, fades in brightness, and picks up speed (w. T. F.!!!) as it leave my view past my right shoulder/rear a frame of my car and the trees over that a ways.
I pretty much am about to pull over and freak out with everyone else at this opening salvo of an obvious alien invasion when i notice that no one else is slowing down..or even noticed. uhhh .. .. So i keep it together. Breathe. and make it home. I lived in a loft in downtown detroit at the time, 2233 brooklyn ave, and i ran up to the roof to see if there was more craziness. Nothing. I eventually reported it to MUFON. Inspires me and a friend to go out searching for UFO's for the next few years. We do eventually see one, but I don't recall it to clearly...

Strangest things I've ever seen: 2) 6-7 months of war zone ala Desert Storm. Blown up body parts strewn around the street are not images you ever expect to see in real life, Very Strange.

Strangest things I've ever seen: 3) I've taken part in several odd rituals of various orders similar to the Freemasons. Never seen an invoked/evoked entity but I know several people who swear they have.

Strangest things I've ever seen: 4) Burning Man. I love that place. By FAR it hold more "strangest things you've ever seen" per square meter than most anywhere in the known universe. It's the vanguard birthplace of a new religion: unadulterated Joyism. Plus it has gorgeous, friendly women everywhere.
Lefou
ZS4668
ZS 005 (PNW region)
Combat Vet - Desert Storm, 3/8 Cav, 3rd Armored Div, US Army, 19K, 19E
CERT team, Renton, WA

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."
- Bruce Lee

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:24 pm

I know the I-75 and 696 area. Lots of planes from Detroit Metro but they are always coming in low there on approach. What you saw does not seem to be a plane and I have seen many take off and land in that area at night. Cool.

We shall not sleep..."

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
He said "feets don't fail me now" and it worked

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:25 am

SneakyG wrote:And then I woke up.

But then that is when the strangest thing I have ever seen happened.

After such a beautiful dream I was unable to sleep so I went on my computer. I accessed the internet and this caption was on my homescreen "Ever Dream this man"
I was intrigued by the caption so I opened the link. That is a moment I will never forget. The picture staring back at me was this man. http://www.thisman.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now remember back to my dream. Remember the Guy in the Maroon Shirt who was acting like a complete prick to Me and my Mom? His face was a splitting image of this man...

Spooky.
Its Carl Sagan ! Image
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 am

DJH wrote:I take that picture back. This reddit subforum is now officially the strangest thing I have ever seen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/VXJunkies/comme ... lable_too/

What... the... hell...?
I'm non-military, and a lot of the posts I've read here with all the acronyms have seemed like that link to me. :?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:55 am

taskforce71 wrote:
ZombieKillingGeek wrote:I got attacked by a squirrel once when I was a kid. Damn thing chased me into my grandma's garage. I trapped it under a bucket and ran like hell. A while later I tipped the bucket over with a broom and ran like hell again. Came back and the squirrel was gone.

That day I learned that crazy small things can scare much larger things... That and if the zombie outbreak infects squirrels, a bucket can save your life...
Zombie squirrels... Just the thought of that scares the crap out of me.
Here , ( http://www.funny-games.biz/zombie-squirrel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) you can practice for the day they rise up.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:51 am

Last semester, as I was driving to school, I saw a guy standing on the corner of a cemetery dressed in black robes and holding a actual scythe. No, it was not Halloween. I don't know what was up but saying odd doesn't quite cover it.

August
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Last Man on Earth

Post by August » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:50 am

one of the strangest things i've ever seen was when i was in my teenage years. it was probably about 7 or 8 at night and was going to get some food with my friends family. there on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere was a little kid probably around 10 dressed in what looked like a civil war uniform. he seemed to be all grey and just stood there staring across the street. kinda freaked me out a bit.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 am

August wrote:one of the strangest things i've ever seen was when i was in my teenage years. it was probably about 7 or 8 at night and was going to get some food with my friends family. there on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere was a little kid probably around 10 dressed in what looked like a civil war uniform. he seemed to be all grey and just stood there staring across the street. kinda freaked me out a bit.
That is rather out of place. Could have been waiting for a ride but who knows?

We shall not sleep..."

Return to “Survival Experiences”