How Zombie Squad Preps Saved My Date! (now with pics)

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

How Zombie Squad Preps Saved My Date! (now with pics)

Post by Jamie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:35 am

Last night my wife and I almost didn't get to have our date because of some dumbass kids who drag-raced into a power pylon near our house (they were fine) and took out the power in our area for about 5 hours...but ZS helped to save the day and our evening!

We live in the back of beyond, 6 hours (if you drive fast) from either of our families, and don't see them much during the regular course of events...we're so rural that finding a babysitter is very difficult and involves complicated driving/shuttling/payment schemes...those things being the case, we don't get a night to ourselves very often, and when the opportunity for one comes along, we jump on it with both feet...

My parents have been up visiting for a while, staying at a friend's camp, and offered to take Ben for the night on their last night so that Gail and I could have a night to ourselves...we took them up on the offer, but given the Rugby tournament in town this weekend, we decided that a night at home might be nicer (and more romantic), so we picked up some date supplies (gutterminds...steaks and champagne and DVDs) and settled in for a night at home with each other...

The power went off around 6pm, before we had started supper prep, and long before we had started the movies, and my wife got a sad-on...until I remembered that the entire purpose of Zombie Squad was to help me prepare for, and prevent, disasters exactly like this one!!!

Food prep immediately shifted towards foods that could all be prepared on the grill (we have 4 tanks of propane, so we're not likely to run out...ever)...the champagne, which had just gone into the fridge, came out and went into an ice-filled cooler treated with salt to enhance/speed the chilling...I got out candles and flashlights and glow-sticks to provide light throughout the evening...I pulled out some stored water for drinking and food prep/cleaning...I pulled the Honda Element around to the front of the house, and set up the power inverter for after supper...

Dinner was superb, the champagne was chilled, and as darkness began to fall, the gentle glow of numerous soft lights came up to fill in the gaps...I went outside and started the Element, plugged in the inverter, and cranked up the TV/DVD for our movies...

Through a miracle & mixture of luck and parenthood, we had missed "Cloverfield" when it came to the theaters around here, and it was one of the movies that we rented for last night...it was the perfect movie to be watching after our localized e-pocalypse...

We had a super time with the movie and the dark/quiet around us and with our supper and with each other...it was a perfect date night (for us), Gail became even more convinced about the AWESOMENESS of ZS-preps to help regular life continue in the face of disasters...

...and yes, for those of you concerned about date-disruption ripple effects throwing off the end-of-evening outcome, I got lucky 8)

Jamie

ps - pics, of the early parts of the evening, to come
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Re: How Zombie Squad Preps Saved My Date! (pics to follow)

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:14 am

That is an awesome story.

And... now your wife will never complain about any ammount of stockpiling / prepsthat you do.

I bet that the date actually turned out to be more fun than it would have had things been more predicatable.

Also, you got to play the hero, and lets face it, they love that shit :)
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:54 am

I'am glad it worked out,but how did the kid and your parents fair if the power was out in your area,was it out for them,and did your kid who you've trained to deal with this take good care of them.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Organdonor

Post by Organdonor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:09 am

That's hot!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:15 am

bonanacrom wrote:I'am glad it worked out,but how did the kid and your parents fair if the power was out in your area,was it out for them,and did your kid who you've trained to deal with this take good care of them.
Because of the accident not far from our house, I suspected that the power outage was very localized, but in order to both check on their status and avoid an unwanted invitation to come and bask in their civilization, I called 3 businesses that surround their location, and all 3 were functional... 8)

Yup, I'm sneaky like that...if the power had been out, Ben could have handled it better than my parents, but we probably would have ended date-night to go and help them weather the loss of power (which, being from NYC, they handle less readily than we do)...

Anyway, here are some pictures of the evening...

Grill cooking is a big part of our life anyway, but during power interruptions grills are awesome for keeping you fed with good/hot eats...I whipped up some steaks along with some grilled onions and sweet potatoes (sliced thick and brushed with olive oil/salt/pepper, they're spectacular)...I also have a heater buddy and 3 extra tanks in case this sort of thing happens during the colder months...

The meal was fabulous, and the champagne, once chilled by the salt and ice mixture, went into a neoprene scuba-suit to keep it cool until we had finished it...

I have a little 13 inch screen TV/DVD player that came in handy during this crisis and time of extreme hardship...I ran an extension cord out the window and into my Element, parked below, which was providing power through the good graces of a power inverter...it ran the TV for about 4 hours (through Cloverfield and another movie after that) at idle, and hardly used any gas...much cheaper than a generator...we were ready to grind and brew coffee the next morning using the same system...and maybe make some toast or waffles...fuck a bunch of suffering through the apocalypse...

Gail and Penny enjoying Cloverfield in our living room while we held the zombocalypse at bay...we joked about how appropriate the movie was, given the circumstances, and how we might not know if TEOTWAWKI had come about for a while given our level of preps...

My Element parked outside the living room window...it worked perfectly as a generator while we needed it...I went from a hair over 1/2 a tank to a hair under in the 4 hours we had the car running to power the inverter, it didn't overheat, made almost no noise, was incredibly portable, and provided it's own shelter from the rain that was falling for part of the time...WIN!!!

I bought the power inverter from Amazon.com for $30, with free shipping (LINK), but there must be a million places to get similar items, which given last night, I cannot recommend highly enough...

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Re: How Zombie Squad Preps Saved My Date! (now with pics)

Post by TheFreakinBear » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:18 am

That's awesome man! Good job on saving the date!
ImageImage

bethanyb
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bethanyb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:10 am

Congrats on getting lucky.

:lol: :lol:

Jamie you crack me up.
I survived Zombie Con 2008! Filtered Manbath - A little bit of shame in every sip.
I survived Zombie Con 2009! There's is more than one Highway M off of Missouri Hwy 8.
I survived Zombie Con 2010! I jumped, skipped and flipped.
I barely survived Zombie Con 2011! 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU

MoGrrrl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by MoGrrrl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Very resourceful! Good job on the save - I know how precious those Date Nights are!

platinumwolf

Post by platinumwolf » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:59 pm

way to be the hero. I like that power inverter my parents have an element, I think I'll have to get them one one of those inverters to keep in there emergency kit. Thanks for the link.

PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Great post. I was thinking of getting an inverter for the car kit. You just sold me on it.

Thanks
CALIFORNIA LINKS
California Chapter Discussion
SoCal - Event Planning

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:52 pm

nfa wrote:fuck a bunch of suffering through the apocalypse...
:lol: my thoughts as well.
great post. yay for ingenuity and preps! :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 pm

You know a woman's a keeper when you link her to the post and she thinks it's utterly sweet and romantic. Way to show that survivalists can be romantic, even in a disaster!
Edit: You Rock! (In case that wasn't clear)
Last edited by thelight on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:59 pm

I think its freakin awesome that you have laser eye dogs!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:03 pm

suntzu wrote:I think its freakin awesome that you have laser eye dogs!
The sharks dried out... :evil:

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 pm

Botach says the lazer-eyed sharks are on back order indefinitely.

Way to go, NFA! I'm glad you and your wife had a great time.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:34 am

That reminds me, we have a couple of power inverters at the store here, I should probably pick one up.
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

razi

Post by razi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 am

nfa saves the day!

PYRO31888
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evils, 28 series,

Post by PYRO31888 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:36 am

That's awesome man, good job!

"Some of the worst things imaginable are done with the best of intentions." Dr. Grant

Havaria Information Service-Alert Map

My BugOutBag

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:05 am

Now I just need to figure out to shut off the power in my area for at least four hours....hmmm :twisted:
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:52 pm

So if she didn't think you were doing the right thing before, she does now?
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:38 pm

NFA; keepin' the Zombacolypse pimpin' since 2006.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

Daithi

Post by Daithi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:44 pm

That's a great story. Domestic bliss rules! Screw civilization................ until you need more Champagne.

Lord Osis

Post by Lord Osis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:22 pm

In my best Darla from the Little Rascals voice "Alfalfa, you're my hero!"
James Kim helped me prepare.

Return to “Survival Experiences”