Awkard moments or negative responses while using your EDC!

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tank Woman

Re: Awkard moments or negative responses while using your ED

Post by Tank Woman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Lycosa wrote:I was polite as can be, kept my hands on the steering wheel, and did my best not to instigate a reaction from the guy. He asked me to step out of my car, I assume so that he would feel safe to enter my car and get the knife out. I asked very politely if I could please go into my glovebox and retrieve some information that may help before I stepped out. He agreed and I reached into the glovebox and pulled out a copy of the e-mail along with a copy of the Florida statutes that pertain to carrying a knife. It turned out that the person that had responded to my e-mail was none other than the chief of police... his boss.
Smart man! win/win :)

greenear123
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28DL, Sean of the Dead, Sean the Sheep?

Post by greenear123 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:30 am

Last summer the family and I were staying at a hotel for a week while our kitchen was being rebuilt and mold removed from a leaky dishwasher. I was working at a gun store at the time and the unwritten uniform of the day was open carry. I got ready for the day, strapped on the 686 in a Galco Wheelgunner and went down to the dinning room for some breakfast. Turns out that a gymnastics team from Portland was staying at the hotel so there were about a dozen teenage boys and girls and their coaches in the dining room. It took a couple of minutes, but the room got very quiet. I could just feel the eyes on my back and no one would make eye contact with me. I just smiled and ate my stale pastry. My wife joined me right before I left for work, she told me later that the conversation in the room was all about "that guy and his gun" for about 20 minutes. One of the coaches even talked to the manager about me. They were all simply scandalized. :twisted:

VinnieD

Post by VinnieD » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:25 am

A bit of a story behind this one. I was passing through Louisiana on my way home. I was driving a rented car as my own car was in need of some work before taking it on another long trip and the weekend special was quite reasonable. A cop pulled me over for going about 5mph over (apparently the spedometer on the rental didn't quite synch up to my regular car). Though I got no ticket apparently between being shaky and sweaty from the cold making the cop repeatedly say "you look nervous" and driving a rented car it was enough to warrant beiing searched.

Cop apparently thought he had caught something major, and of all things grilled me on why I carry a lighter when I told him I don't smoke. It was enough to be brought back to the cruiser while he ran my license, sure I was some kind of arsonist. End of story I got no ticket, but he probably caught my cold, and both our time was wasted. Henceforth I think I'll just say I enjoy the occasional cigar.

alika2die4

Post by alika2die4 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Jsimmonsgr wrote:Well, it been a while since I posted in here so I figure I will relay a incident that happened over the weekend.
The missus and I were in the local Wallmart gettin some groceries and other assorted nessesities (ammo, TP, and dvds), when I noticed that we were being followed by a middle aged fella and his 'woman' ( coulda fooled me, I figured it was sasquatch 'til it opened its mouth). Both were dressed in what my family humorisly refers to as 'hippy chic' ( both my folks are the black sheep of their familys as they went to woodstock and wore tie dye :oops: ). I watched the two idiots follow us for about half of the food section, and then spun around and asked 'em if they needed help. The response I got was priceless.

Hippy: 'Uhhhhhh, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING THAT THING IN THIS STORE!!!
Me: What thing are you refering to?
Hippy: That GUN! Who the hell do you think you are! How DARE you intimidate and harass other shoppers in this store! Whats the matter is your penis so small that you need to compensate?!
Me: Ummm, I carry everywhere I am allowed by law....... I feel the need to state on record that your interest in my genitals is more than slightly disconcerting...
Hippy: Well thats why isn't it?! All you inbred redneck white trash gun toting pussys feel the need for a gun because you have small penises!
Me: I have to ask, why were you following my wife and I around the store?
Hippy: Because if you made any sudden moves I was gonna take you out with the hand to hand training I recieved in Nam!
Hippys Wife (Sasquatch) Thats right! My husband was a green beret in the war! Inbred trash like you don't understand what his generation went through so you could strut around like a little cock with your big bad gun, killing little helpless animals and stuff!
My Wife: Honey, be nice.......
Me: Holy shit! Thats a WOMAN?
My Wife: ( slaps the back of my head) BE NICE!
Hippy: What, just because you have a tiny package you think you can smack talk my wife?!!
Me: (at the top of my lungs) I NEED AN ADULT, HELP!!! THE SCARY HIPPY IS TALKING ABOUT MY PRIVATES!!!!!!!
My Wife: Fer cryin out loud..... Can't I take you ANYWHERE?
Hippy: uhhhhh..... What?
Security guy: Whats going on here?
Me: The scary hippy and the sasquatch are talking about my penis and threatening my wife and I! I am in fear that I may be violated by a sasquatch! Make them leave me alone!
Security Guy: Awww hell, you again?
Me: Hi Bob.
Security Guy: Folks, Mr. Simmons is a regular customer.
Hippy: But you don't understand he has a Gu...
Security Guy: No I dont need to know that he has a gun, he probably has a couple on him.
Hippy: You need to make him lea.....
Security Guy: No I will not remove him.
Hippy: But he is intimidating and harassing other shoppers in this store!
Security Guy: LISTEN ASSHOLE THE ONLY ONE DISTURBING CUSTOMERS IS YOU!
Hippy: but..
Security Guy: Leave now or I will call the cops.
Me: Thanks Bob. By the way, you gonna be out at the Casa Grande range this week?
Security Guy: Maybe, oh and Justin? the next time you start yelling about your danglies in my store I am gonna have your wife kick your ass. Feel me?
Me: Sure thing Bob.
My Wife: (looks at me) You are such a asshole. ( starts laughing) Can't you at least try to be nice?
Me: I didn't cuss or threaten did I?
My Wife: I knew I shouldn't have let you meet my family......

Gotta love stores that know who you on are sight huh?

At least I got my ammo and my favorite hot pockets...
I was cracking up reading this. Everyone is a green beret. Haha. We're you open carrying?

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 am

I almost always open carry, unless I am going to a fancy dinner with the missus, or the movies, or the mall...... I think that about sums up the places I conceal carry. 8-)
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

alika2die4

Post by alika2die4 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I just keep mine concealed. At 6'3 and my wife at 5'3 we already bring enough attention to ourselves.

JustAGirl

Re:

Post by JustAGirl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:03 am

elricfate wrote:I get that at work everyday with my Maxpedition Versipack.

"Anyone got a needle and thread?" "I do" ... "Wow"
"Anyone got cough drops?" "I do" ... "Thanks!"
"Anyone got a flashlight?" "I do" ... "Man, you're scary."
LOL!! --> "Man, you're scary.". Brilliant!

I get my share. I don't cc in CA, now that I'm no longer in NV, but I always have a folder. I was recently outside of an OHV park , in the cruddiest of diners. I was dirty, still in dirt bike gear, and was not given a knife for my pork chop. I had literally been living off of freeze dried foods, boiled cat tail shoots and cactus for 4 days so I wanted some FOOD!! The waitress, manager, et al could not be located, I sat back down and as my food was getting cold, I pull out my Cold Steel Recon 1, snap it open and dig in. My fiancé looked at me like I was absolutely insane. I did not care. Would he have been just as shocked had I picked it up with my hands and started ripping meat with my teeth? I'm not really sure.

The waitress never came back until the end of the meal.

deMaccusweil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, 28 days later,

Post by deMaccusweil » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:45 am

I had literally been living off of freeze dried foods, boiled cat tail shoots and cactus for 4 days so I wanted some FOOD!! The waitress, manager, et al could not be located, I sat back down and as my food was getting cold, I pull out my Cold Steel Recon 1, snap it open and dig in...
Hun, you are a CATCH!

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:19 pm

alika2die4 wrote:I just keep mine concealed. At 6'3 and my wife at 5'3 we already bring enough attention to ourselves.

Nice thing about az, most people don't care. Its just the crazy Hoplophobe hippies you need to watch for.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Deus Vult

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:24 pm

deMaccusweil wrote:
I had literally been living off of freeze dried foods, boiled cat tail shoots and cactus for 4 days so I wanted some FOOD!! The waitress, manager, et al could not be located, I sat back down and as my food was getting cold, I pull out my Cold Steel Recon 1, snap it open and dig in...
Hun, you are a CATCH!
It was the "started ripping meat with my teeth" bit that got my attention :twisted:
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

JustAGirl

Post by JustAGirl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:54 pm

MasterMaker, HAHAHA! Thank you!! Yeah the ripping meat off the bone was this past weekend where I cooked two huge racks of ribs. Gave up on the steak knife. If it's not running down your arms, it can't be that great ;)

The funny thing was, I had CHOSEN to pack in camp like that for my birthday. Cat tail shoots and trout for breakfast is over rated. ;) Especially when all you have to season it is salt and hot sauce kept from an MRE. Not too prepared for gourmet that time.

Thank you again :)

ThumperX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend, The Walking Dead TV series, WWZ

Post by ThumperX » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:29 am

This is my standard EDC with an additional Spyderco Endura in my back pocket.

I wear cargo shorts year round and my daughter likes to tease me about my shorts weighing more than her colossal purse.

I play volleyball a couple of nights a week at various churches and drop down to my keys, a Fenix LD20 flashlight, and usually a four inch folder. I had a guy say one time "Why do you have a knife in your pocket? You could fall and hurt someone." All he saw was the clip. I said because its a tool and we are playing a contact sport around a net that people get tangled in. I have seen bade rope burns from tether ball lines and volleyball nets. I've seen burns from dog leashes and amputated fingers from dog leashes!

I get more reactions to carrying a bright flashlight than I do a tactical folder. I always carry a knife and a flashlight, plus the tools on my keychain. Be Prepared!

If I have to use a knife around civilized people, I discretely use the Victorinox Tinker (small Swiss Army knife).
Rock AKA Thumper X
"If it shuffles like a zombie, stinks like a zombie, and moans like a zombie, make sure it isn't your mom, then shoot it in the f***ing head." - Rock

JustAGirl

Post by JustAGirl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Good God, man!! Lol ;) Reminds me of when my ex boyfriend of years ago was asked to remove everything from his pockets during a routine traffic stop in Vegas. Cold Steel Voyager and all, ha!

The CS Voyager (large clip point half serrate) used to be my primary but then I switched to the Recon 1 clip and gave the Voyager to my fiancé.

Nice spread!

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Here are some older threads where you get to look at everybody's EDC/pocket dump. Some of it's funny,m some of it's cool.
This thread is specifically for bad or awkward reactions people have to your EDC. Like when I emptied my pockets before going into the courthouse, and it took a couple minutes and my girlfriend got impatient and compared me to the Joker :x .

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

RunningWild

Post by RunningWild » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Not an awkward story, more of a motivational one:

When I was about ten years old my maternal Grandfather sat me down and gave me a Buck 501 folder. Then we had the following conversation.

Grandfather: "Wild, there are two things every man should have on his person at all times."

Wild: "OK, what?"

Grandfather: "A knife and a lighter. The knife is never drawn as a weapon and you should never pick up a cigarette, EVER."

Wild: "Then what are they used for?"

Grandfather: "A knife is a tool that will pull your bacon out of some pretty messy situations." He looks wistfully at my Grandmother who has a lit cigarette in her hand and smiles. "The lighter, Wild, is a pick-up line."

Grandmother: "And carry a damn handkerchief for your nose." Smiling
"I hope you and those you choose to hold dear are well. And may the wisdom of the Wolf guide you towards your destiny in peace and happiness."

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:08 pm

I wear my phone at the 4 o'clock position and my leatherman at 7. I usually wear an untucked tshirt to work, but a few days ago my shirt/pant combo looked better tucked in. My coworkers know I carry the leatherman, many of them have borrowed it at least once. This day, someone walked by and made a snarky comment which I know was in jest, then my boss chimed in with "That one's for stabbing and that one's for calling 911." I was quite disappointed, since I know the tool's been used in the shop and proven its weight to them, let alone to me. I invited my coworkers (including my boss) to the range shortly after, we'll see how that goes over.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:09 am

I have been PMed in regards to some of my posts above and I feel the need to clarify a couple a points.

I have used the phrase ' hopolophobe hippys', not as a slander against anyone who self identifies as a hippy or hippys in general, but in regards to whatever particular dude was harassing me at the time. I have no problem with hippys, both my parents went to woodstock and believe in peace and love, I figure it may not be my cup of tea but it makes em happy. If I do post about any anti gun person I typically only am talking about them, not a group of people.

I apologize to any ageing hippies or flower children out there, the posts were not a slam against you, your generation, or your beliefs, just against one grumpy ass person in a walmart.
J.
Gunsmith

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Deus Vult

foghern

Post by foghern » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:46 am

I've always carried a pocket knife for as long as I can remember and years ago I worked for a beverage company as a merchandiser( I put drinks on shelves in grocery stores). And when they would come into the stock room they were on pallets stacked about 8 feet tall or so and heavily wrapped with shrink wrap. Well you can tear the shrink wrap which literally takes about a minute or cut it. Well I pull out my Kershaw Blur with assisted open (which opens extremely fast and very audible) to cut the wrap and one of the ladies gave the "holy Jesusfuck, we're gonna die" reaction like I was grown up Anakin Skywalker and she was a junior Jedi.

This is the reason I try to go for the off color handles now like the OD green that I carry or a coyote brown. For some reason people don't see it as quite as threatening. My wife thought that was funny when I told her the reason and she thought it funny to suggest I should have gotten the pink one.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:10 am

foghern wrote:I've always carried a pocket knife for as long as I can remember and years ago I worked for a beverage company as a merchandiser( I put drinks on shelves in grocery stores). And when they would come into the stock room they were on pallets stacked about 8 feet tall or so and heavily wrapped with shrink wrap. Well you can tear the shrink wrap which literally takes about a minute or cut it. Well I pull out my Kershaw Blur with assisted open (which opens extremely fast and very audible) to cut the wrap and one of the ladies gave the "holy Jesusfuck, we're gonna die" reaction like I was grown up Anakin Skywalker and she was a junior Jedi.

This is the reason I try to go for the off color handles now like the OD green that I carry or a coyote brown. For some reason people don't see it as quite as threatening. My wife thought that was funny when I told her the reason and she thought it funny to suggest I should have gotten the pink one.
You should have gotten a pink one. I used to work with a guy who bought a whole line of "support breast cancer research" tools for in the shop, because no one would borrow them from him.
BullOnParade

foghern

Post by foghern » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:23 am

That's a great idea, I didn't think about that...

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 am

So this morning I was at the car stealer getting my oil change (they do them for me for free since i bought the car there, or else I'd be doing it myself). While in the waiting area, the TV was on "Good morning America" or some other bull crap morning show. A segment started talking about a man caught in a "Dark Knight" showing last night with a gun+ammo+4 knives, and said he was carrying all that in a "Satchel"... next thing I know a photo of a "Maxpedition Jumbo" was on screen and you can clearly see the logo of the bag :shock: .... And here I am sitting there with my "Maxpedition Sitka" swung around to my front and I'm trying to hide the logo with the magazine I was reading. I noticed the girl sitting across from me was kinda looking at that point, than no more than 5 mins later the service guy comes to get me. As I closed the magazine and revealed the logo of the Sitka, I think the chicks eye balls were about to pop out of their sockets....

Heres the story I believe, not the same coverage as what was on TV but looks to be the same case..

http://www.etonline.com/news/123997_Man ... index.html

And according to the article, the cops than searched his home and all?!! What's up with that junk?

ok... this is a better article http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/255119 ... and-knives

It appears he does not have a CCW permit..

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:52 pm

I have a small sling backpack that I use for errands when I go downtown on transit. It's filled with EDC goodies and things that are just plain useful in urban environments (booboo kit, book, leatherman folder, umbrella). On Sunday night I was going down (to see the new Batman film) and as my bus goes over a pot hole, I hear something hard hit the floor over my music. I thought it was the cellphone of the woman in front of me. When she didn't bend down to pick anything up, I notice her look down to her ankle, and there's my leatherman. I bent over to pick it up and a woman sitting a few seats ahead of me is staring at me (probably the same look Smokinbunta got). I expected her to make a scene, tear a strip off me for carrying a >3inch blade, but she didn't. I went back to my book, looked up after the next stop and she was off the bus.
BullOnParade

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:39 pm

For stuff like package tape and shrink wrap, I long ago took to carrying a smaller, more accessible and less threatening blade. A 1" lockback, a cold steel mini-pal, a bottle opener/prybar combo with an exacto blade - all seem a bit less weapony than a tactical folder or full size multitool, and do those quick unzipping jobs quite well.

Still, I got static for a 1 1/2 " folder at work, talked about it in this thread. And the more concessions to peoples' fearful sensibilities we make, the more the pool of "accepted" or "tolerable" personal tools shrinks.

It still baffles me that people think "weapon" when they first see a Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool, where the blade is practically an afterthought tacked onto some pliers. It's clearly designed to do work, not to fight or attack with. But even after using the item to do a favor for someone, who clearly needed the item, I get asked "Why do you have that?" Soon, any item I carry not wrapped in protective nerf foam is going to be scary. "Eeek, a real glass! OMG - a fountain pen with a sharp point!"
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 pm

I was at work when I needed to cut some rope off of some old line dividers. I whip out my trusty spyderco and begin to cut. My coworker looks at me, "You can't have a weapon here!" (I work at a school, and in my state CCW is legal in schools) I reply, "It's not a weapon, it's a tool."
"But you can kill someone with that!"
"Yes, but I can stab someone with the pair of scissors you have or strangle them with the rope in front of us. you don't need a knife."

She kind of avoided me for the rest of the day
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Return to “Survival Experiences”