Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

surt
* *
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:53 pm

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by surt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 am

I'm an AGM for a huge Travel Center chain, I've learned a few things in my time there.

1. Yes, our gas pumps do in fact work - you're just an idiot. You do not understand the joy we get from walking your angry ass outside and showing you.
2. This is 2008 - our gas is prepay - No, at $4 a gallon I will not turn a pump on without collateral.
3. We're not Mapquest, I don't know how to get bum fuck Egypt either.
4. I know you stole coffee, you're not sneaky - its just too time consuming to stop you.
5. Read name tags before demanding a manager - you'll get less pissed and it'll steal some of my joy.
6. In all honesty, the customer isn't always right. The customer is just made to feel like they're right so we don't lose sales.
7. Mass amounts of people like to use the term price gauge - very few know what it means. For instances "No sir, am not "price gauging" your bottle of Sprite."
You speak of Rastafari, but how can you justify Belief In a god that's left you behind?
You've simply filled the gap between the upper and Lower class.
And your faith merely keeps you in line.

User avatar
Slug
* *
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: Gladstone, OR

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Slug » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm

amd2800barton wrote:
Slug wrote:Vehicle purchasing tips.

1. There are no deals at the end of the month, you can get the same deal on the 1st
2. dont tell me you dont want me to help you, I dont come into your house and make a sandwich and when you ask
1. Perhaps not "deals" but depending on the salesperson's performance that month, a consumer may have more negotiating power at the end of the month (I HAVE experienced this firsthand). So technically there's no deals, in that the cars don't steadily drop in price from the 1st to the 30th, but your chances of getting a favorable deal go up.

2. I don't think the analogy really works. Considering that many car salespeople are on commission, if a customer says they don't want any help for the time being, that may be a polite way of saying "Don't let me waste your time" or "I want to be left alone right now" - some people really do want to shop by themselves.
1. Keep in Mind that your salesperson does not set pricing on the vehicle, that all has to do with the "desk" or that guy behind the curtain, and yes he may be more inclined to make you a better deal based on either the stores or his salespersons goals but what most people dont realise is that the factory usually extends these goals past the last day of the month. a dealerships month usually ends on the 2nd or the 3rd of next month. Also, the goals that where set for the salesperson where normally set at the beginning of the month and we are just as motivated to help you find a car then as we are at the end. What if you met a salesperson that already reached his/her goal? do you think they will get you that super deal then? hence my tip is still valid

2. I still think my analogy works. so you are politely telling me that you want to be left alone with my 13million dollars worth of inventory? where your keys could scratch up against my $54,000 truck? you want me to go back inside and not worry about you finding one truck that is unlocked (or if I was with you I could unlock any you wanted to look inside) and opening the door into my other $43,000 truck? or maybe you want me to leave you alone with inventory because you want to take the gps navigation dvd out of one of my trucks because you lost yours? I think not, please do not come into my house and take a crap on my toilet and then tell me "I want to be left alone right now".


Sorry, if this came off wrong. when I use the term "you" I dont mean You. a lot of people think they know what happens in the car business, even people that used to work in it. It takes years to know how it all works and what the motivation behind certain things are. my best days selling cars are not the ones that I make a bunch of money, its the ones where a customer calls me and stops by and tells me how much they love their new car and how happy they where I helped them find it. I have a customer that told me they would never buy a minivan, well I "talked her into it" and she said it was the best choice she has ever made for transportation and it changed her life. she was able to build her daycare business and make more money. I made almost no money on that deal, but it sure was worth it.

most people think our motivation is just to screw people, its not.
P I E Army. Try finding the ratio of the circumference of a circle C A K E to its diameter without us.
Image

amd2800barton
* *
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by amd2800barton » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Slug wrote:
1. Keep in Mind that your salesperson does not set pricing on the vehicle, that all has to do with the "desk" or that guy behind the curtain, and yes he may be more inclined to make you a better deal based on either the stores or his salespersons goals but what most people dont realise is that the factory usually extends these goals past the last day of the month. a dealerships month usually ends on the 2nd or the 3rd of next month. Also, the goals that where set for the salesperson where normally set at the beginning of the month and we are just as motivated to help you find a car then as we are at the end. What if you met a salesperson that already reached his/her goal? do you think they will get you that super deal then? hence my tip is still valid

2. I still think my analogy works. so you are politely telling me that you want to be left alone with my 13million dollars worth of inventory? where your keys could scratch up against my $54,000 truck? you want me to go back inside and not worry about you finding one truck that is unlocked (or if I was with you I could unlock any you wanted to look inside) and opening the door into my other $43,000 truck? or maybe you want me to leave you alone with inventory because you want to take the gps navigation dvd out of one of my trucks because you lost yours? I think not, please do not come into my house and take a crap on my toilet and then tell me "I want to be left alone right now".

[...]

most people think our motivation is just to screw people, its not.
1. Like i said - it is sometimes possible to get a better deal, and i've been told that the Sales Quotas are often set overly high for most people. The way the manufacturers/dealers rig the pricing scheme is such that the "invoice price" and "dealer invoice" are supposed to be a high and low price respectively. Uneducated consumers walk in and try to negotiate somewhere between those two prices. IF you're a lucky consumer, you'll get a salesman who needs a sale, and is willing to let you lowball him to make that happen.

2. The house analogy really doesn't apply. A home is a private residence, whereas a car lot is a public business. I don't honestly expect you to just throw the keys to the dealership at every customer and say "have what you want", but the "hovering salesman" is overly annoying. Every dealership i've been to is protected by numerous security cameras, and there is usually someone around, just not within earshot. If talking about spending tens of thousands of dollars at your place of business i expect a little privacy with my potential vehicle and any other party (significant other, friends, family) i choose to ask for opinions/advice. You can always check for scratches, etc once I'm done. The dealerships I've been to that the salespeople wont walk out of earshot *cough* KIA *cough* I don't patronage anymore. If you don't trust your customers they won't trust you; and thus wont trust that your vehicle is the best, or that your price is fair.

and i know that car salespeople aren't out to screw us, I'm sure most of them are normal, good people just doing their job. The reason that they get a bad rap is because its good for consumers to be suspicious when they're buying a capital item like a car or house. Some people just take that consumer empowerment a little too far.
TheFreakinBear wrote:You like the taste of bawls in your mouth? :wink: How does it feel to have bawls in your mouth? :wink: What flavor of bawls do you prefer? :wink:

JibbaJabba
BANNED
Posts: 2317
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later
Location: Fort Hood, Texas

Re:

Post by JibbaJabba » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:38 am

harleytrypp wrote:
congochris wrote:Ok, I used to work tech support but with the recent outsourcing to other countries and the fact that I hate talking to stupid people, I'm getting out. In dealing with outsourcers, however, I'd like to make a few observations. Most of these are in India, so people complain about how dumb they are, they can't speak english, and they're not the best at tech support. So, here's a thought: How many languages do you speak? If you speak a second language, do you speak it well enough that you could talk somoene through fixing a car or computer and dumb it down enough for the average user?

Dumbing it down enough is hard enough for a native speaker, I can't imagine how hard it would be if I spoke German (the only language besides english and latin I have an even passing familiarity with) well enough. There's fluency for every day usage, but using it as a job function is something else entirely. So just keep that in mind the next time you break your computer and the guy at the other end of the line has an accent.
On the whole I agree with you. I worked for several years dispatching tech support trouble tickets to engineers in India, Mexico, and several other help-desks in and out of the U.S. My one observation of those in india is that they tend to stay "inside the box", if the problem is not "on script" they have difficulties. They seem to have difficulties with problems that are outside the norm. I'm not saying they are un-intelligent, quite the contrary, but culturally they tend to be liniary thinkers. There are of course exceptions. That has been my experience.
How did I not see this the first billion times I read this thread?

This has zero to do with Indian culture. They are no more "liniary" thinking (I believe you meant "linear") than anybody else. The reason behind this phenomena where tech support guys in another country seem to have issues with unusual problems is because..

drumroll please..

They're working from a flip-book. They have little to no practical knowledge - they're just reading from a step-by-step checklist. Very few of them are actually skilled in IT. This also holds true for helpdesk call centers in the USA!
PlE or GTFO! Image
bonanacrom wrote:I found that if your 6 feet tall and weigh 260 pounds and answer the door naked with a big shit eating grin on your face you get to control the conversation right from the beginning.

User avatar
Moana Drifter
* * *
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: Heaven, Hell or Houston

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Moana Drifter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 am

finum wrote:My jobs
Tobacco shop clerk - 1983
For some reason around here, at least 20 years ago when I worked in a store selling cigarettes, a large number of people thought that the legal age was 16, not 18. I quickly leaned that if I asked the obviously underage kids how old they were, 90% would reply "16" and I wouldn't have to listen to the whole lost/left at home ID story.
Slug wrote:2. I still think my analogy works. so you are politely telling me that you want to be left alone with my 13million dollars worth of inventory?
Fair enough. Just don't get pissed off when I waste two hours of your time while I wander around your lot and window shop because I'm thinking of maybe getting a new truck in a year or so.

There's a furniture store here in Houston that used to pay their salespeople entirely on commission with no salary at all. The first time my wife and I went there to look for some living room furniture we ended up making a game of "lose the salesperson" because of the way they would attach themselves to you. Loosing them was possible only because the "showroom" consisted of several old houses that had been connected together almost like a maze, but still a real challenge. Of course, 30 seconds after you lost the salesperson, you'd pick up a new remora and the game would start again. Mildly entertaining, but a frustrating way to shop.

They've since gone the opposite way to salary only. When we went back a couple of years ago we told the salesman that we wanted to look around a bit, he directed us to the bedroom stuff, gave us his card, and asked us to have him paged if we were interested in anything. Far, far nicer experience.
Perhaps we'll meet again on some sin-infested street corner in Houston, Texas.

User avatar
breaking_contact
*
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:04 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Location: Suburb of Hell
Contact:

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by breaking_contact » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 am

From the gun shop days:

1) I can see through the clever subterfuge that is a, "So my friend is a <insert legally disqualifying criteria for owning a firearm here>" question.
2) You can purchase a firearm legally if you don't have citizenship as long as you have "permanent resident" status and six consecutive months of bills from your home address.
3) If there is a delay on the transaction, there is nothing I can do. Go ahead, call the government... that'll speed things up...
4) Always bring cash, we'll make you a deal!
5) If you see something on the shelf for more than two - three weeks chances are you can get a good deal on it.
6) Be friendly and courteous and you'll be treated like a prince; be a jerk and watch the prices all go up.
7) You will get more money selling something on consignment than trading it in or selling it to the shop.
8) The staff will make fun of your mall ninja claims when you leave. We might even put on a small play reenacting your wild claims of extreme tactical wizardry.
9) Don't be afraid to ask me to open a package so you can try out a holster or some other piece of gear.
10) Finally, don't be afraid to come in if you're a new shooter. We'll lavish you with attention and give you a ton of advice and help!

From the IT days:
1) Try to keep files in the designated "My Documents" folder - it makes recovering and backing up files ever so much easier.
2) If you take work home, make sure you update your local copy. I can't make data appear out of thin air if you lose the USB drive.

Photography:
1) Use a Skylight 1A filter or just a clear filter if possible - much cheaper than replacing a whole lens.
2) Invest in a good tripod - you don't want one self-destructing when on a shoot in the middle of nowhere.
3) Extra batteries and memory cards, FTW.
4) Bring foil (heavy duty) to help modify or bounce lights and flash.
5) Use lead bags and have film hand-checked when flying.
6) Watch TSA people when they go through your equipment - they never repack it correctly.
7) White-balance is your friend.
8) Bring big Ziplock bags in case of sudden downpour.
9) Gaffer tape - expensive and life-saving.

Firearms:
1) When purchasing a firearm, get one that fits you. If it doesn't, you won't carry it or enjoy it.
2) Really think before trading or selling a firearm - they're often nearly impossible to get back.
3) Invest in a good holster. Makes all the difference when carrying or stomping around in the woods.
4) When carrying, consistency is king. Always the same configuration, always the same condition of firearm. Otherwise you will make a mistake.
5) It is quite possible to obliterate the sling on your tactical shotgun while shooting clays.
6) Try to leave targets and a stapler in the vehicle - I always forget 'em

That's all for now!
¨Morons. I've got morons on my team. Nobody is going to rob us going down the mountain. We have got no money going down the mountain. When we have got the money, on the way back, then you can sweat.¨ - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

User avatar
phoenixmastm
* * * * *
Posts: 4436
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:26 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.
Location: Chicago (again...)
Contact:

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by phoenixmastm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:23 am

breaking_contact: Although you do know better since you worked at a gunshop, I have to admit that the gunshop over here did not give me a lot of good customer service. The guy was rude and rolling his eyes at my questions (especially after I said that I was new). I made that trip short and tried other gunshops, with better results but kinda the same attitude (rolling eyes at my "new shooter" questions & giving me crap answers).

Any advice on dealing with firearm store clerks that are pains in the ass?
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

User avatar
oconnore
*
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:04 pm
Location: MA

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by oconnore » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:34 pm

I work for an online gaming site.

#1. Do not spend $100,000.00+ on Bejeweled 2.

That is all.

User avatar
breaking_contact
*
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:04 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Location: Suburb of Hell
Contact:

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by breaking_contact » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:45 pm

phoenixmastm wrote:Any advice on dealing with firearm store clerks that are pains in the ass?
Yes:
Option 1 - Try to visit when the owner/manager is there; they are generally really interested in gaining new customers.
Option 2 - Go to a different shop. There's not much you can do to change someone's attitude if it's already shitty.

It's really too bad that people end up working in a position to dissuade someone from a new sport/hobby. Definitely persevere - start picking up a few magazines (Shotgun News is great) and leafing through the articles. It probably won't make much sense at first but it will fill you with questions for the people you'll meet.

Also, always spread your experiences via word of mouth: whether it's at the range, on websites like Citysearch or badass forums like ZS. This way the crappy shops die out and the good ones get better. :twisted:

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
¨Morons. I've got morons on my team. Nobody is going to rob us going down the mountain. We have got no money going down the mountain. When we have got the money, on the way back, then you can sweat.¨ - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

User avatar
phoenixmastm
* * * * *
Posts: 4436
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:26 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.
Location: Chicago (again...)
Contact:

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by phoenixmastm » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks. Just got a new job yesterday, and noticed today that we get a regular shipment of "Shooting Times" magazine for the magazine rack here in the store....in an Advance Auto Parts of all places. :lol:

Although the guy did give me crap for being new, that was not my first time trying to get into firearms, and definitely did not dissuade me.


On Topic, things I learned from my 2 days at an auto-parts store. If you're not sure if we carry it, ask, I am more than happy to pull up the catalog and look up parts, and will always check if another store, the warehouse, or the factory has an available part to be shipped to the closest Advance Auto Parts in our district.

Also: keep in mind your make, model, cylinder (v4, v6, v8), liter (2.3L, etc.) and any other suffix's on your car, this makes it a lot easier for the both of us if there are a lot more variations on your car than you know about. For instance: Today I've had 3 people come in for different parts for Chevy Blazers. One was a 2001, another was a 2003, and I think the last one was a 1998. The 2001 guy knew his whole car down to the little manufacturer abbreviations and was able to pick out exactly which 2001 Chevy Blazer v6 3.3L out of a list of about 3. This helped both him and I a ton of trouble, as not all the different variations use the same parts. Mostly when looking up parts that deal with the different parts of the engine specifically.

I also don't mind if you ask to see a part, and take it out to look at it or compare it with a part you took from your vehicle, all that I ask is that when you are done, that you hand it back to me so that I can put it back in it's box. That has nothing to do with keeping it clean, more so that it stays together so you don't have to come back complaining about missing screws/mounts/gaskets/etc. I've had that happen twice today.

Oh, and please do not assume that everyone who works in an auto parts store is a certified auto mechanic. My speciality lies in making sure your cash goes into the drawer, that I can find you your stuff, and that I can put it all into a nice little plastic bag and wish you a nice day. I am by no means an auto mechanic, nor am I studying to be one. However, if you have any useful knowledge about how things work, I am more than willing to learn, as I do pass this on to other customers/employees who have to do/fix something similar.

And finally, since this is an auto parts store, there is a lot of flammable/dangerous stuff in here. If you accidentally spill something, please let me know immediately, not just leave it there and tell me about 10 minutes later when you decide to check out. Some of this stuff MAY be toxic to breathe, and should be cleaned up right away. I promise that I wont get upset, however, you may be asked to pay for whatever was spilt. It's not me, it's the store policy, and policy is strictly enforced when you work at the corporate HQ for the area, like I do.

Yeah, that's another pro/con thing, my store has a small office right next to the dock for the two VP's of the company to come in and work. It has a small boardroom, a secretary and her office, and their offices. It's also pretty damn hectic since they are higher ups and they work right next to us during the day, so all complaints are noticed by them, and they are allowed to take action. However, it is also really cool because they do hobnob with us peons and do come out and have some fun with us when business is slow.

Just thought I'd share that with yall. :D
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

User avatar
19kilo
* * *
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: Erie

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by 19kilo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:39 am

If your in an elevator by yourself and want company... break wind.

The door will open automatically :oops:

At least for me it does.
Image

The water gets hotter...the frog keeps swimming

mr_dave
* *
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:38 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 [Days|Weeks] Later, Tremors
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by mr_dave » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:25 am

If you have someone in your company that is employed specifically to keep things running, let's say for the sake of argument your computers, it is preferable to inform them when things go south, act in new and interesting ways, let the magic smoke out, develop new personalities, acquire the ability to talk back to you, and/or eat your child's soul.

It is not preferable to wait a week before informing anyone that something is amiss.
Erik wrote:For CCW, I recommend a .50 caliber round. It's pointy and just the right size you can grip it in your hand and stab it through the eye or stomach of your assailant.

User avatar
Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9341
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: PDX-ish

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Czechnology » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:34 am

mr_dave wrote:If you have someone in your company that is employed specifically to keep things running, let's say for the sake of argument your computers, it is preferable to inform them when things go south, act in new and interesting ways, let the magic smoke out, develop new personalities, acquire the ability to talk back to you, and/or eat your child's soul.

It is not preferable to wait a week before informing anyone that something is amiss.


:oops:

Uh, sorry.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

User avatar
Moana Drifter
* * *
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: Heaven, Hell or Houston

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Moana Drifter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:42 am

mr_dave wrote:If you have someone in your company that is employed specifically to keep things running, let's say for the sake of argument your computers, it is preferable to inform them when things go south, act in new and interesting ways, let the magic smoke out, develop new personalities, acquire the ability to talk back to you, and/or eat your child's soul.

It is not preferable to wait a week before informing anyone that something is amiss.
And if you spill Coke on your laptop, such that the syrup is still visible around the keys, just man up and admit it so we don't have to go through the whole "Gee, I don't know what's wrong - It just stopped working on its own" routine.
Perhaps we'll meet again on some sin-infested street corner in Houston, Texas.

User avatar
BobtheBreaker
* * * * *
Posts: 3474
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?
Location: Sandy Eggo, KA

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:39 am

Movie Theatre
From the basic Managers Perspective, some information is vendor specific.

1. I actually do care.
2. We will stand around the lobby and bullshit with random customers, because its part of our job, but also because we like most of you and want you to have fun while you're here.
3. If you are not having fun, please let us know right away.
4. There's over two thousand people in the building, that's way too much chatter even for our advanced mind reading powers. Flag us down and tell us with words.
5. When things go wrong, we understand that can be very upsetting. We try to give you lee-way to express both your problem(s) and emotions, don't be that raving maniac that screams and calls names and shouts obscenities. We'll call the police, not because we don't want to help but because your behaviors indicate that you may become a threat to the 1999 other people who just want to watch a movie.
6. Don't initiate involuntary personal contact (aggressive or otherwise).
7. On busy days we have 3 armed guards and a half dozen unarmed (pos. chem/tazer ops) guards. We pay extra to ensure that the armed guards are off duty PD.
8. If we ask you to leave, you're going to leave, that's really all it comes down to.
9. Don't threaten with a law suit, its not the magic phrase that unlocks the treasure laden vaults of Xeres. If you're serious, talk to a lawyer.
10. I know it seems counter intuitive, but we don't actually own the movies we show. We pay rent based on ticket sales. So we don't hand out free passes to anything that moves, and we certainly aren't going to give you a "grip" of passes because your popcorn tastes funny.
11. You can bring in outside food, we don't really care, as long as its not glass, loud or particularly odorous.
12. We use a term called Competitive Pricing when it comes to concession items. We are not competing with Walmart, 7-11, or any other grocery or convenience store. If you think our Hot Dog, Nacho or Drink prices are outrageous, pay attention the next time you make a food run at a professional sporting event or amusement park. Otherwise see #11.
13. Throw away your trash.
14. The next time you have to wait out in the hallway until 5 minutes before the movie starts, remember this is a problem directly related to non-compliance of #13.
15. Open seating means first come first served.
16. We don't over sell auditoriums, in fact we under sell them to account for a small percentage of theatre hoppers. So when you come out and tell me there's no seats, I know you accidentally omitted "that I like".
17. Don't yell at the person on their cellphone, you'll be thrown out for disrupting the movie.
18. When you come out, and tell us about the person two rows back who was talking the whole time and "ruined the movie" were going to ask you why you didn't come out and tell us before the end of the movie. If you say "because I didn't want to miss anything", were going to assume you don't actually understand the English language because you just contradicted yourself. If you're worried about them knowing its you, we are trained to maintain the anonymity of concerned parties, its a 6 hour class.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

User avatar
Space Jockey
* * * * *
Posts: 1917
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead
Location: Yakima, WA
Contact:

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Space Jockey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:55 am

BobtheBreaker wrote:Movie Theatre
From the basic Managers Perspective, some information is vendor specific.

11. You can bring in outside food, we don't really care, as long as its not glass, loud or particularly odorous.
17. Don't yell at the person on their cellphone, you'll be thrown out for disrupting the movie.
The theaters we have in town made me throw out a 7UP because we didn't buy it there. They never let you take in your own food. Also several times I have yelled and cussed people out who talk on cell phones during movies and I get nothing but applause from the crowd.

From my experience at a nursing home
1. If I'm the only person you see in the hall, it doesn't mean I'm the only person on the unit. You don't see the other people working because we close doors to respect resident privacy.
2. Feel free to come up and ask me questions, I'll help in any way I can. Just don't expect me to drop everything I'm doing with Resident A when I'm obviously busy because your mom needs her bed straightened. I will get there as soon as I can, and I mean it when I say that. In the case of a true emergency I will drop everything and go help.
3. Yes the resident got their medication today, it's my job to give it, otherwise I'd get fired. Please stop asking every day when you see me at the exact same time doing the exact same routine.
4. You may want your mom doped up to keep her calm or pain free, but if she is calm and pain free then I will not dope her up. It's called chemical restraint and it's against the law.
5. You can tell me your family member is in pain. I will go check for myself, but if she says she's not I won't give her anything despite your requests. That's how I get fired.
6. If something hasn't been getting done it's because I wasn't there. Some nurses are lazy, I am not. I will do what I can to remedy the situation.
7. Don't feel a need to stand in the hallway as soon as the call light comes on. We know it only comes on when you need something and will get to you as soon as someone is available.
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

User avatar
BobtheBreaker
* * * * *
Posts: 3474
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?
Location: Sandy Eggo, KA

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Space Jockey wrote:
BobtheBreaker wrote:Movie Theatre
From the basic Managers Perspective, some information is vendor specific.

11. You can bring in outside food, we don't really care, as long as its not glass, loud or particularly odorous.
17. Don't yell at the person on their cellphone, you'll be thrown out for disrupting the movie.
The theaters we have in town made me throw out a 7UP because we didn't buy it there. They never let you take in your own food.

As I mentioned some information is vendor specific, but im sorry to hear that there are still companies that do that.


Also several times I have yelled and cussed people out who talk on cell phones during movies and I get nothing but applause from the crowd.

Well I'm sorry to report that I would have thrown you out had you done that at the theatre where I work. A disruption is a disruption regardless of popular consensus.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

E
* * * * *
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:37 pm

Re:

Post by E » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:01 pm

UberMunchin wrote:I used to inspect (as well as design) water-based automatic fire sprinkler systems and the alarm systems that work in tandem with them. National standards require that these systems be tested on a quarterly basis. This means that I had to trip the fire alarm with every device in the system designed to do so in an actual fire. In a strip mall, this may mean activating the fire alarm once. In a highrise, typically once per floor.

The dates on which these tests are performed are scheduled well in advance with the property management company, as well as with the alarm monitoring company, and the fire department. The property manager typically posts a notice a good week or so in advance to notify the residents or commercial tenants of the inspection and its attendant sights and sounds, as well as to ask them to cooperate with the nice man who is after all, only trying to ensure that they don't die in the event of a fire.

In memory of those days I will post a brief FAQ on the subject....

- Yes, that alarm is in fact loud as hell.

- Yes, the elevators always stop working when the fire alarm activates. In the event of any alarm, take the stairs to safety.

- Yes, I do this every three months, as prescribed by national and local codes.

- No, I didn't trip the alarm to malaciously rouse your 90 year old great aunt from her afternoon nap.

- No, your aformentioned great aunt cannot take the elevator whilst the alarm is going off. I know that 38 flights of stairs may be beyond her ability. This is something you need to consider when choosing the location of your residence.

- No, I cannot skip next quarters' alarm testing..... :D
Huzzah! Someone who understands! I do the exact same thing, and then some. Pump tests, dpv tests, quarterly and annual, you name it, I help do it (Sprinkler assistant)

I get almost those same questions during my day. Most of the building engineers who ask are just messing around, they know it has to be done. But what really gets me are the people who work in the buildings, who come up to you in the MIDDLE OF THE TEST, when you're concentrating on getting all the info asafp, and ask 1. what are you doing? 2. can you do it faster? 3. When will you shut the alarms off? or 4. Why can't you just shut the alarms off and continue?

I should go up to them at their desks and go What are you doing? Why is the monitor so bright? Why is there music on? Can you turn your monitor off and let me work? etc
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Erik
* * * * *
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Erik » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:25 am

Slug wrote: 2. dont tell me you dont want me to help you.
Moana Drifter wrote: Fair enough. Just don't get pissed off when I waste two hours of your time while I wander around your lot and window shop because I'm thinking of maybe getting a new truck in a year or so.
Heh, that's almost exactly what I tell car salesmen: I'm just looking, thanks. Because that's what I'm almost exclusively doing. In the last 15 years, I have bought exactly two cars from a lot. I've been in car lots looking at cars at least twenty times. I'm simply pricing cars. Maybe I'll buy a car in a year. Maybe I'll buy a car from auction, like I did last time. Maybe I'll buy one from a private individual like the truck before that. My point is you're going to get pissed following me around for nothing because so far, I almost never buy a car from a lot I'm looking at. If I have questions about a car, I'll ask. The first time I bought from a lot, I went right in and said, "Please secure me financing. I'd like to buy a car today." The second time, the guy came out and asked if he could help me and I told him I was considering buying that car and that I'd like to test drive it. If I say I don't want your help, it's because I don't want your help. If you're aggressive, I won't buy from you in particular, even if I do want to buy a car. I'll buy it from a less aggressive and rude salesman from the same dealership.

The last time I bought a new car was such a bad experience, I'll never buy from a lot again as long as I live. I called in the morning and told the dealership to get financing arrangement ready for me, because my old car was almost irreparably damaged, so I was expecting to buy one from them that night. When I arrived later in the day, the salesman was rude to my wife and I and acted annoyed that we had all kinds of questions. So I told him I wasn't interested in buying a car from him. His response was, "Well I spent the last hour working on your financing paperwork!"

I blew my top right then and there. Why the hell do I care how much time he spent on my paperwork? Buying a car for thousands and thousands of dollars is a decision that will affect my family financially for years to come. I told him he could jump his ass of the top of his dealership for all I cared and that all that was important to me was making a good decision for my family. Then I drove the dealership across the road and bought one of their cars instead. I refused to have my family treated rudely by a salesman. It was clear he thought he was somehow entitled to our business! What salesman can have that attitude and possibly hope to successfully sell cars? To this day, I refuse to buy any vehicle I can't afford to pay for outright from a private individual, even if I can only afford to buy an $800 car.

-Erik

User avatar
Grin Reaper
* * * * *
Posts: 1316
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Grin Reaper » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:46 am

1) There is a sign in my waiting room that makes it clear that I will not prescribe narcotics and will not prescribe weight-loss drugs. Telling me that Dr._______ used to prescribe them for you does not mean that the sign no longer applies to you. If that's what you're here for, you're in the wrong place; go see Dr. _______.
When I explain that to you, leaning in close, shouting "What's your name?!", & squinting at my name tag does not intimidate me; it just makes it clear that you weren't paying attention when I introduced myself.

2) Please, please, please know the name of the drug(s) you're allergic to. I'd really like to avoid prescribing something that could kill you, but you will need to meet me halfway on this.

User avatar
CommonHighrise
* * * * *
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:22 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.
Location: Reading, PA

Re:

Post by CommonHighrise » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:46 am

dirtyjames wrote:Don't "dojo-storm." Jesus. This is when someone shows up and challenges the instructor to a fight. Usually the person doing the challenging has no training at all. It never ends well for the guy doing the storming.
Like most things, theres a right and a wrong way to do this. First, the right; Be polite. Wait for the instructor to finish what they were doing with the class. Introduce yourself, and ask if theyd be willing to allow a spar between you and either themselves, or a suitable pupil. They may say no, or they might say yes. Either way, stay respectful and if you do spar, spar clean, and thank them afterwards.

The wrong; You rush in all gung-ho, demanding to fight the instructor or schools sensai. This is a bad, bad move. The instructor wont fight you, hes got better stuff to do. And he wont give you his star pupil either, that person is more useful winning competitions that get all those shiny trophies. He'll give you to someone like me. Unless youre pretty damn good, that person like me will break something off of you and nail it to the door. Its customary.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

User avatar
SweetTea
* * * *
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by SweetTea » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:44 pm

Wow, common, it's been a while. Good to have you back.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P
Image

Pansy
* *
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by Pansy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Erik wrote:
Slug wrote: 2. dont tell me you dont want me to help you.
Moana Drifter wrote: Fair enough. Just don't get pissed off when I waste two hours of your time while I wander around your lot and window shop because I'm thinking of maybe getting a new truck in a year or so.
Heh, that's almost exactly what I tell car salesmen: I'm just looking, thanks. Because that's what I'm almost exclusively doing. In the last 15 years, I have bought exactly two cars from a lot. I've been in car lots looking at cars at least twenty times. I'm simply pricing cars. Maybe I'll buy a car in a year. Maybe I'll buy a car from auction, like I did last time. Maybe I'll buy one from a private individual like the truck before that. My point is you're going to get pissed following me around for nothing because so far, I almost never buy a car from a lot I'm looking at. If I have questions about a car, I'll ask. The first time I bought from a lot, I went right in and said, "Please secure me financing. I'd like to buy a car today." The second time, the guy came out and asked if he could help me and I told him I was considering buying that car and that I'd like to test drive it. If I say I don't want your help, it's because I don't want your help. If you're aggressive, I won't buy from you in particular, even if I do want to buy a car. I'll buy it from a less aggressive and rude salesman from the same dealership.

The last time I bought a new car was such a bad experience, I'll never buy from a lot again as long as I live. I called in the morning and told the dealership to get financing arrangement ready for me, because my old car was almost irreparably damaged, so I was expecting to buy one from them that night. When I arrived later in the day, the salesman was rude to my wife and I and acted annoyed that we had all kinds of questions. So I told him I wasn't interested in buying a car from him. His response was, "Well I spent the last hour working on your financing paperwork!"

I blew my top right then and there. Why the hell do I care how much time he spent on my paperwork? Buying a car for thousands and thousands of dollars is a decision that will affect my family financially for years to come. I told him he could jump his ass of the top of his dealership for all I cared and that all that was important to me was making a good decision for my family. Then I drove the dealership across the road and bought one of their cars instead. I refused to have my family treated rudely by a salesman. It was clear he thought he was somehow entitled to our business! What salesman can have that attitude and possibly hope to successfully sell cars? To this day, I refuse to buy any vehicle I can't afford to pay for outright from a private individual, even if I can only afford to buy an $800 car.

-Erik
Fuck Yeah Erik! I like this story, it pisses me off when there is a lack of respect coming from someone your trying to do business with. Especially when it's your money going the other way. I don't expect someone to kiss my ass and I genuinely appreciate the work that goes into whatever service that is being provided. However if that guy was so upset about the "hour working on your paperwork" it seems to me he could of worked a little bit harder not being a douche bag. The End!
Image

User avatar
gart43
* * *
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:55 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (70's version)
Dawn of the Dead '04
I Am Legend
The Omega Man
The Postman
The Stand
Land of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Location: Minnesota

Re: Work Secrets (Or: What you wish everyone knew)

Post by gart43 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:25 am

Welding

1) Don't think that wearing nylon or other plastic materials is completely safe, you wouldn't believe how many times I've seen people welding in jackets that are made of nylon or other meltable materials, some actually have caught on fire and the melted material got stuck to their skin. Some just get holes melted in their clothes.

2) When you go up in flames because you never learned that plastic can melt and catch fire, please don't pour water on yourself, thats one of the worst things you could do.
Bertrand Russel wrote:War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
My former DI wrote:Join the Marines, meet intresting people, and kill them

Want to join the armed forces? Click below.
Join the Marines!
Join the Army!
Join the Navy!
Join the Air Force!
Join the Coast Guard!

Post Reply

Return to “Survival Experiences”