"Grows his own food, he's one of those crazy survivalis

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Steev

"Grows his own food, he's one of those crazy survivalis

Post by Steev » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:15 pm

Sitting in the cafeteria at lunch today and one of my classmates was going on about someone he knows who came over here from Ireland.

I was listening too intently but I heard ".. he grows all his own food and he burns trees on his land for firewood. He plants new ones too!! He's some crazy survivalist, probably has a 100 guns...."

I get a weird look and then "don't you have a garden, Steev?"
-S9teev
"Theres no 9 in Steve"
"It's a silent 9"

SKS, 10/22, 870P, 1911, AR15, TT33

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:28 pm

My response to when people talk about it like that in that tone to me: "Yeah? I save money thanks to the decrease in grocery shopping. How bout you?" And then promptly get up, and walk away.

Usually (if they're smarter than the average idiot) they get kinda sheepish and dont pester me. Otherwise they just kinda dont get it, and I feel smarter. :D

Edit: Meet this dude (the guy who'm the buttholes were talking about) and start discussing different things along the lines of gardening, firewood, outdoors, etc. Find out if he'd like it here then invite him. He sounds like he'd be more of use than the other twits at your table. :D
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

rashkenes

Post by rashkenes » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:24 am

I concur, The other asshats at that table made remarks based out of pure buttered toast stupidity. Perhaps when theres a flood, hurricane or Zombie Invasion, you and the Irish man will sit laughing as you managed to escape and survive. Mwuhahaha
Czechnology wrote:No, I believe the story. Michelle has legendary Misogyno-dar. She can actually hear anti-feminist stereotypes being written, in other states.
Gundown wrote:I met my ex-girlfriend at Wal Mart when the girlfriend before her wouldn't dance with me in the condoms isle.

colinz

Re: "Grows his own food, he's one of those crazy surviv

Post by colinz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:02 am

Steev wrote:Sitting in the cafeteria at lunch today and one of my classmates was going on about someone he knows who came over here from Ireland.

I was listening too intently but I heard ".. he grows all his own food and he burns trees on his land for firewood. He plants new ones too!! He's some crazy survivalist, probably has a 100 guns...."

LMAO!!!! Has the person in question spent much time around farms??

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:45 am

Mostly I don't talk about my hobbies at work. None of their business. Plus, if we get to a time when our hobbies are "socially unacceptable", no one will know about it.

That being said, if some a$$hat said that to me, I'd make something up on the spot. Turn into one of those vitamin pushers. This will instantly turn them off and they will run away from you at the speed of light.

"Sure, I've got an organic garden and I just love the healthy feeling all of those fresh vegetables give me. Don't you know that store bought tomatoes are picked while they are still green? Plus, they are genetically engineered to not rot once they hit the store shelves? The vitamins! Think of the vitamins!"

:lol:

Mad_Maxx

Post by Mad_Maxx » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:18 am

:lol:

That is just excellent! I dont think things like the thread starters situation would happen here, luckily.. Too rural 8)
Umbrella Corporation - International Biological Solutions
Vampire wrote:Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:57 am

Around here we get that and a lot of "oh they're trying the "hippy-dippy" life. I pretty much ignore them and start a conversation about how my morgage costs have dropped, my heat is free, my food is almost free and soon my electricity will be when we put up the wind turbine. Then I walk away. :D
People who don't get it, won't be around if TSHTF, but take heart, they're thoughts at the end will be to think how people like us DID get it.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:08 am

"I'm not some hippy-dippy dork, I have way too large of a weapons stockpile for that!" :twisted:
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 am

Asides the benefits already mentioned here, what's wrong with the reply; "It's my hobby. You don't hear me complaining about your STD-collection hobby, so what the fuck are you complaining about mine then?" I mean, really, how dumb can people get?

The only thing you'd hear from me is; is it possible to live from what you harvest in your own garden? I mean, I don't think I could grow enough in it to supply me constantly! :shock:

To get a wee bit off-topic though; my misses has expressed interest in growing our own food! 8)
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:19 pm

Steev wrote:burns trees on his land for firewood. He plants new ones too!!
Damn hippies FTW.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:32 pm

The hurdle everyone, including us, has to get past at some point to actually understand "survivalism" in its many forms, is this:

The world is not a happy place. People die violent deaths every day, even in your neighborhood. The Government, regardless of the party, is not an omniscient, altruistic entity with your personal best interests in mind. The more able you are to take care of yourself, the more you can weather any storm.

When people get all snide about my preps, or mini-arsenal and pull the "Why do you need _____", I generally try to shift their focus to preperations/precautions they already take and understand. Examples include:

"Why do you lock your doors/car doors? Does locking your doors make you a break-in paranoid nutjob? No, of course not. It means you recognize that there are bad things happening daily that you can take simple steps to prevent/minimize the impact of."

Use the above formula and replace "lock your doors/car doors" with other things, (savings account, home security system, seatbelts, virus protection, flu shots, first aid, etc) and it starts to make sense to anyone who is ever going to come around. Presented this way, I have turned people from jeering to quiet contemplation in moments. As long as you do it in a friendly manner, you can actually help people instead of just making them look stupid.

(I know that sounds weird coming from me, but hey, I'm a nice guy sometimes!)
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

tinfoil toque

Post by tinfoil toque » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:57 pm

When asked about the freeze-dried food, the water stores, the filtration masks and so on I usually counter with, "Isn't anyone who isn't actively trying to kill himself a survivalist?"

I'd rather be reasonably risk confident than blindly at risk.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:07 pm

I usually use this analogy for guns:

"why do you think you need to carry a gun? Are you expecting to shoot someone?"

"Why do you have a smoke alarm in your house? are you expecting it to burn down?"

"Uh..."

"If you had 2 smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen or by the furnace, would you expect people to call you paranoid?"

"No"

"Well, you're more likely to get assaulted in public than have your house burn down. Go figure."
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 pm

crypto wrote:I usually use this analogy for guns:

"Why do you have a smoke alarm in your house? are you expecting it to burn down?"

"Uh..."

"If you had 2 smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen or by the furnace, would you expect people to call you paranoid?"

"No"

"Well, you're more likely to get assaulted in public than have your house burn down. Go figure."
Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I've had strangers approach me (while open carrying) and dress me down with similar comments. They make sure to stress the word "Need" when they say it too, as if that somehow trumps whatever I'm going to respond with...

Odd, the mindset of someone who would accost an armed stranger they obviously think its crazy.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:24 pm

Czechnology wrote:
crypto wrote:I usually use this analogy for guns:

"Uh..."

"No"

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I've had strangers approach me (while open carrying) and dress me down with similar comments. They make sure to stress the word "Need" when they say it too, as if that somehow trumps whatever I'm going to respond with...

Odd, the mindset of someone who would accost an armed stranger they obviously think its crazy.
a lot of this isnt really hate on their parts, it's more confronting the unknown than trying to be a prick.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Hahaha, I had a friend respond to a question like that once "I like my veggies fresh.... *lower voice* like your sister" Which was really funny to us because unknown to the other guy, my friend and the sister had just started seeing each other :P

Topcat
Probation

Post by Topcat » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 pm

One of the things I gave my wife for Christmas was a dual filter particle half mask. She works in one of the oldest building in the city. I said that after watching the 911 attacks that her building would have way too much asbestos and that if there were a fire, explosion, impact, she could get out in good shape. Even told her to cover the mask with her scarf to prevent it from being taken from her.

Remember stories of sinking ships and life vests.

Anyway, she seemed impressed. I don't think that's paranoid, that's prepared.

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:50 pm

I would keep my activities low key. Just brush it off.............and never tell them that you are preparing for the PAW.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Steev wrote:Sitting in the cafeteria at lunch today and one of my classmates was going on about someone he knows who came over here from Ireland.

You were at the other end of the table, dressed in camouflage and a black trenchcoat, sharpening a Ka-Bar and muttering "Soon...very, very soon..."

Weren't you? :wink:
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:26 am

Lynxian wrote: The only thing you'd hear from me is; is it possible to live from what you harvest in your own garden? I mean, I don't think I could grow enough in it to supply me constantly! :shock:
It would be very hard, if you lived in a house on a city lot. My lot is about 50' x 100'.

You MIGHT be able to do it if you made greenhouses everywhere and covered darn near every square inch, including your driveway, with growning things in "intensive" agriculture. Like hydroponics. You are literally force feeding your plants, extra nutrients, extra light, extra warmth. But this takes energy, chemical fertilizers, and lots of effort and lots of water.

I did a little experimental hydroponics with tomatoes. If people are interested, I'll describe it, or put up pics if I can find them. In a side by side contest with my wife, my wimpy first effort at hydroponics vs. her tomatoes grown in dirt: (1) I got the first tomato (2) I got the most tomatoes by far, in number and by weight (3) I was able to grow them for a longer period of time, starting earlier and ending later, and had several more pickings than she did. I am told that hydroponics, if done 100% correctly, can outperform normal "dirt farming" 6 to 1.

Next: Potatoes are "the perfect food". They have all of the stuff you need to survive, nutrient and vitamin-wise, if you also eat the peel. You can supposedly survive on nothing but potatoes. They last pretty good in a root cellar. I did a little reading up on the Potato Famine in Ireland. Before it hit, the Irish were farming on smaller and smaller plots... I won't get into the politics of the situation, but they were farming on formerly "unfarmable" land due to hills, rocky soil, etc. They chose potatoes as a crop because they will grow darn near anywhere. I'm told that an adult male farmer would eat 10 lbs of potatoes a day and very little else. Small amounts of onions, carrots or other vegetables, and rarely, meat.

As a side note, plant the potatoes in stacks of tires (3-4 high) filled with soil. They will capture heat and the taters will grow faster, and they are super easy to harvest. Just lift up a tire and there you go. No digging.

I think your best bet would be a combination of things. Read "The Survival Greenhouse", but the gist of it is that you would have a little ecosystem. Fish farming in barrels. Rabbits raised for meat; the rabbits eat the veggie scraps. The fish eat the worms out of the composting bin. The vegetables are watered with waste water from the fish tank and fertilized with rabbit droppings. You can put chickens in there too. And of course, the vegetable crops. (I can't say enough good stuff about this book. Really.)

If you had access to a little field, you could grow enough grain/corn/potatoes to get a 'still going. Then you could trade booze for anything you needed. One trade item that should be mandatory: If you want to trade me for booze, you bring in an empty bottle and some grain or corn (ingredients) for the mash. That way you are not on the hook for all of the grain; you are just getting the operation going. If you got the operation big enough, you could produce ethanol to run engines as well as people.

I think between a "survival greenhouse" ecosystem, with veggies, rabbits, fish, and chickens; a boozery to trade and sell alcohol; and a small home operation like a blacksmith shop, you would do very well. I think in the long run you are going to have to do some trading, if only to even out deficiencies in your diet. You might get mightily sick of potatoes.

Some of the above post is part of my plan PAW. I didn't come up with that off the cuff; I've been thinking about it for a long time.

Steev

Post by Steev » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:51 pm

DrGonzo wrote:
You were at the other end of the table, dressed in camouflage and a black trenchcoat, sharpening a Ka-Bar and muttering "Soon...very, very soon..."

Weren't you? :wink:
I actually was wearing camo pants but I was muttering "you're an idiot" instead.
-S9teev
"Theres no 9 in Steve"
"It's a silent 9"

SKS, 10/22, 870P, 1911, AR15, TT33

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Before Off Topic contributors and their posts are "burned to the ground" as stated by 'The Powers That Be', I have decided to take action and remove the 6,747 unwelcome posts contributed by me in the past 7 years.

My apologies to forum members for any inconvenience this may cause. This is the 4th time it's been threatened and I'm too old and tired to fight it again.
Bless you.
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

collisionsurfer

Post by collisionsurfer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:25 am

Wow. In England, organic food is very popular, and where I live, publicly- owned allotments have a waiting list of years. Lts of people grow food- no big deal at all.

A friend of mine has just started out with an allotment, and when people mention it, it's usually along the lines of 'How are the tomatoes coming on? Isn't time to get the green beans in?' and suchlike. No crazy survivalist comments.

Might be a hangover from WWII and the 'Dig for Victory' thing we had going on. The British love their gardens.

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:29 am

Yeah, but over here in capitalist America, everyone buy's there own stuff. Doing things yourself means you're unpatriotic. :roll:

Seriously, a lot of people never think what they are saying through.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Return to “Survival Experiences”