What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Collie of Doom

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Collie of Doom » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 am

My Wyoming Lost and Found tarp tipi arrived today, and being inspired by that I went to the Tactical Cool Guy store in town and came out with a survival saw, some 5.11s, an extra signal mirror and mylar blanket for a back up kit, some hilarious morale patches, and a backpack. Okay, that's QUITE enough money spent for the month. Eating lentils and rice and vegetables and home made sandwiches for the rest of the month to compensate. :lol:
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

Dr Jekell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Assorted Oldies

Post by Dr Jekell » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:00 am

Decided that my body needed to be punished & so I went on a 12.5km walk along the side of a mountain.

The next day my body made it plainly obvious to me that it did not need to be punished that badly.

Clip by Dr Jekell, on Flickr
Screw the 2012 apocalypse. Ragnarok bitches!

There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 am

We set up some storage shelves in the garage a few months ago and today at the shops we bought extra of food that was on sale to put in our storage. Baked beans were the cheapest I've seen them in a long time, so we got 24 cans (my husband kindly said that he wouldn't make fun of me for it).

hutchb25

Post by hutchb25 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Today I started reading about constructing wind and solar generators from 'scratch'. I'm going to forward the literature to my brother who just completed training as an electrician.
"Listen to me! Sometimes, possession is an abstract concept..."

Basil Duke

Post by Basil Duke » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 am

Yesterday, at a local Uncle Sam's, I bought an olive drab rain poncho, two pairs of wool socks and catfish bait for my BOB. Earlier, I bought a 26-ounce bag of trail mix for my calamity closet. I was also able to figure out what was wrong with my forehead flashlight, and restored it to working order. (It proved a rather obvious fix; the 'new' batteries I'd put in it were bad - a good lesson learned there; test your battery-powered stuff on a regular basis.)

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:11 am

Continued making the trail behind my house, collected fatwood and purchased a large plastic box to store kindling for the home fire.
Also purchased a Kobalt 4 surface file and a 8'x10' 10mil tarp.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

txKingfisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I am Legend, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by txKingfisher » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Filled hurricane lamps with oil and test ran them. Did a general check of my preps.
There's some severe weather blowing through this afternoon and I'm half hoping to get a chance to press some of my preps into action.

Also a few days ago I downloaded the US Army survival maual on my phone. (WIN!)
TEAM GREENWIRE

max v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Planet Terror

Post by max v » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:43 am

Did some tolerance testing on a bottle of blended scotch. Now waiting for a root canal. :(
Sealegs wrote: Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 am

max v wrote:Did some tolerance testing on a bottle of blended scotch. Now waiting for a root canal. :(
Is it a tooth in the back or a one that can't be seen. If so, get that thing drilled out and filled OR just have it removed. Root canals are not effective and fail, usually within 5 years and are way to damn expensive.

OT: I'm making a camping hang out area on the train behind my house. Should be nice.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Tperkins » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Ordered more Mainstay bars as mine "expire" this month. I ate one for lunch, and they actually taste pretty good. I only had like 4 before in my car kit, but I think I'll order quite a few more now that I know they taste pretty good as well.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

txKingfisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I am Legend, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by txKingfisher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 am

Cleaned some of my guns.
Switched one of my shotties from Duck Hunting Mode to HD Mode. (take out plug, change choke, load with 1oz rifled slugs)
Added a few basic hand tools and some more First Aid supplies to my truck kit.
TEAM GREENWIRE

max v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Planet Terror

Post by max v » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
max v wrote:Did some tolerance testing on a bottle of blended scotch. Now waiting for a root canal. :(
Is it a tooth in the back or a one that can't be seen. If so, get that thing drilled out and filled OR just have it removed. Root canals are not effective and fail, usually within 5 years and are way to damn expensive.

OT: I'm making a camping hang out area on the train behind my house. Should be nice.
It's actually my front tooth, which are both fake but this one still has the original root, so removing it is not an option. She bored it out and temporarily filled it with some paste. Next week she'll put a permanent one in. Not sure if that's a root canal or not, it's the only term that came to mind.

OT: Had a interesting chat at the local surplus, picked up a couple instant grill bbq's for less than 10 bucks.
Sealegs wrote: Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

Basil Duke

Post by Basil Duke » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Stocked up on sundry food items: bought multiple cans of tomato, cream of mushroom and clam chowder soups; bought a 10-pack box of mixed flavor oatmeal; bought several packs of just-add-water pancake mix; went nuts and bought three big cans of Maxwell coffee (which were on sale for six bucks a pop at my local Schnuck's); splurged and purchased a big box of dried milk (9 bucks).

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Took the kids to a local park Sunday, they were having an animal tracks display, they took their new Camelbak's (BOB's) and ate the Clif crunch bar out of them, didn't get to walk around too much since it was getting colder.
Tuesday I went to the doctor, tetanus shot, physical, blood work, etc. I haven't been to the doctor since we have had kids and my son is almost 6. That doctor visit earns me $200 additional for our MRA.
Wife went to a dermatologist and while there picked up 4 free samples of sunblock which are going into the BOB's.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Put a FAK and a flashlight in my truck.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

IronKnuckles

Post by IronKnuckles » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:57 am

Took out my new 31 round glock 40 cal mags. Knock offs but epic winning.
Tried the AK mags I have taped together the gorilla tape works sick and hockey tape got loose. I may try gorilla tape then hockey tape over that.
Cleaned my water bottles and afixed a new one to my BOB.
Found out my 2 ways are not chargin FAIL! :(
Maverick299 wrote:Where's the government bailout for Hostess? I would have survived just fine without Chevy or Chrysler, but life without strawberry fruit pies seems kinda pointless.
AK_Stick wrote:Pretty much always be a need for people who can kill people, or work on stuff.

Quietus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by Quietus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:20 am

Ordered myself a new 12000 grit stone which will be exclusively used for my bushcraft knives (no more using one set of stones for multiple types of blades :) ).

A knife is only as good as it's edge, and a good knife is the most important tool in the field.
Gear is a poor substitute for knowledge. And much heavier.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 am

More of a "this week" than anything. But i'm continuing my Search and Rescue training. We did some swiftwater stuff this week (pulling people out of rivers) and I managed not to kill anyone with a throw bag of rope ;)

Also ordered a bigger bag for my gear as my daypack is full to bursting and still doesn't have some necessary items in it. Also replaced some worn out wool socks and started getting some not cotton thermal underwear in preparation for our 24 hour survival/snow cave trip coming up in a few weeks.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:49 pm

What I've done to prepare (this month)

Purchase-Related
  • Picked up a medium ALICE pack and frame
    Picked up a couple of nalgene water bottles
    Picked up a couple of pairs of wool socks
    Picked up a Baxter State Parka
    Picked up a couple of chocolate Cliff bars to try out for my BoB (not a fan, will find a different flavor, or just stick with MREs/other stuff)
    Picked up a 2.5 gallon water jug & two cases of bottled water, added the Brita water filter back into my drinking rotation again
Research & Misc.
  • Stocked the car with extra blankets, jumper cables, clothes, flashlights & batteries, etc. - winter
    Checked prices/times of CPR and EMT-related first aid classes at two of my local hospitals
    Scanned, encrypted, copied to thumbdrive (and DropBox account) - important documents (HYST: Katrina)
    Researched water purification methods via tablets and filtration systems
    Researched food solutions for BoB
    Researched shelter solutions for BoB
    Researched basic fire starting methods using fire steels
    Researched the concept of a shotgun for home defense
    Found several self-defense oriented handgun training courses about an hour away from home - $200 a course
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:23 am

What I need to do this weekend is clean out my Camelbak. I got a kit to do it with. Water hasn't been changed out in a year. At least. It's only been really really cleaned about twice since I got issued it in 2005 and it's been to Iraq twice. I'd hate to have to survive off of it in its current state for a day or two... :shock:
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

IronKnuckles

Post by IronKnuckles » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:00 pm

I isolated a zombie outbreak in my basement with the new zombie outbreak tape I got. (the outbreak consist of new zombie targets) All from tshirtbordello.com . I now await Wednesday until my "team" shows up and we can take them out.
Maverick299 wrote:Where's the government bailout for Hostess? I would have survived just fine without Chevy or Chrysler, but life without strawberry fruit pies seems kinda pointless.
AK_Stick wrote:Pretty much always be a need for people who can kill people, or work on stuff.

Quietus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by Quietus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Went for a 23 mile hike. Used the medium sized pack (85 litres), with a medium load of just under 40lbs.

Met a group of scouts, who were setting up camp. Loaned them my bow saw as they only had 2 with them for a group of 17 ( :shock: ). Made a cup of coffee in the meantime.

A good day, and a decent workout.
Gear is a poor substitute for knowledge. And much heavier.

44Dave

Post by 44Dave » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 am

In the last few days:
Bought a few hundred rounds of .223.
Started assembling shelves in the basement for more storage.
Started researching alternate heat plans.
Started studying transistors.
Decided I hate transistors.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 am

Cleaned the house. Replaced CFL's in the hallway and laundry area with LED's. Also my kid's night light. Gonna save me a lot in my electricity bill.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Return to “Survival Experiences”