Lost Hiker in Hawaii Found, Search Continues for Common Sense

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Laager

Re: Lost Hiker in Hawaii Found, Search Continues for Common Sense

Post by Laager » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:02 pm

I also believe that personal responsibility has something to do with it or the lack of holding people responsible for the decisions they make and the consequences of the decisions they make.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:54 am

Once again, with feeling: search & rescue should not be allowed to interfere with natural selection.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/15/ ... ve-desert/

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 am

*sweat* At 69 years of age, I'm not sure natural selection is exactly the correct term, seeing as how she's highly unlikely to be passing on genes at this point.

All the same, her name, photos, and location have been added to our budding new Natural Selection database. In a few years when our government DNA service goes online, we will be able to cross-reference her archived information with our partner ancestry.com, to identify any potential offspring relations and retroactively remove both her and them from the breeding pool.

Thanks for the assistance in identifying potentials and building our new future, today.
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Laager

Post by Laager » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, it is not like I have not done some incredibly stupid things in my life. We used to hike from Three Rivers, NM up to Ruidoso, NM at least once a summer.

You quickly learn what you need to haul along and what needs to be left behind or at home. If we were to do that with our kids or now grand-kids at the ages of 13 and up, Child Services, the courts and LEos would be all over us.

Of course back then there were no cell phones, so Deans parents would drop us off and then Jeff's parents would pick us up. If we arrived early we would use the payphone to call them, if we arrived late we were told not to be messing around wasting their time. Arrive on time or don't go anymore.

Thankfully other than some blisters, bug bites and some cuts, scrapes along with some still baffling (to the parents) burns (note to self do not wear extremely flammable clothing when playing with fire) not a whole heck of a lot went wrong.

If it had gone wrong, there would have been absolutely nothing we could have done, other than push on to get help.

Now days people seem to disregard warnings, they are there for a reason, not just to tick you off or keep you from doing what you want to do, when and where you want to do it.

It so far has not ceased to amaze me what some people (who should know better) will do......and then are surprised when things go horribly wrong.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Return to “Survival Experiences”