Personal SHTF After Action Review

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Personal SHTF After Action Review

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Well ZS, I had quite a bit happen to me in the last year. My business partner died, I had to put my brother into skilled nursing care, and my mom has been in the hospital since last June. I saw my income completely dry up, and if I hadn't had my food and financial prepared in order I would have been in a homeless shelter a lot sooner than I expected.

I had quite a bit of money put back, and that kept the bills paid until April of this year. A few notes:

1. If you are prepping for everyday disasters like job or home loss, cash in hand is king. I had a hard time turning gold into usable cash, and I took a serious loss because you never get market value when liquidating it. Selling stock was also difficult without ready access to Internet and phone service, and I had some early withdrawal fees to deal with when I tapped my savings. If I hadn't had some cash put back at my house I would have been in serious trouble over the winter. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably have put more cash back and relied less on bank accounts, because getting to the bank got to be a problem when my transportation crapped out on me hard. I would have also forgone the gold altogether, because I took a 1000 dollar loss on that.

2. Food preps are king. The only reason I had money to throw at my problems is because I had a well-stocked pantry. Since I stocked food that I liked, the only complaint I had was eating out of cans and jars.i actually gained 20 pounds after my income dried up. Without those food preps I would have been in line at the food stamp office.

3. Being well known as someone who is willing to lend a stranger a hand was the best asset I had. People are more willing to help out if you have a good reputation in your community, and my reputation got me many rides and help when needed. Something else that helped me out was the fact that I was still willing to help others even though I was going through one of the darkest periods in my life.

I'm doing much better now. I did spend some time in a homeless shelter, but I'm getting back on my feet. I've got a new home, I'm starting to rebuild my preps, and I even met a good woman to spend my life with.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Personal SHTF After Action Review

Post by yossarian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:08 pm

That sucks to hear man, but I'm glad you came out pretty alright on the other side. Thanks for sharing your experience and glad to have you back around.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:14 pm

First, sorry to hear. Second, great write up!

It's good to hear that you're back on your feet, and building preps back up. I'm glad you came back here to write it up. Food and Cash are king that's good to know! I wish you all the best!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:41 pm

You have been through some rough times! Thank you for the write-up and congratulations on the lady!!!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Homeless shelters suck big time, but there's nothing in the world like that feeling when you finally look back and know you're done with them and back on your feet again, even if you might still have some wobbles. Kudos to you for weathering that storm and coming back out of it likely stronger and better.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Sounds like a success story. You may feel like you got your ass kicked after that but it sounds like it is behind you.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm

DarkAxel: I'm glad your back on your feet. I've been there more than once. Thank you for sharing your tips.

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Most people are one major life crisis away from being destitute, if they realize it or not. Which is why I operate without debt, have no lines of credit, use cash only, and live well below my means. But I did not get here without having first found out what it was like to live with no money, no food, and no shelter. That lifestyle teaches lessons that are not soon forgotten. Good for you getting back on your feet. Respect.

Return to “Survival Experiences”