I Had to Tell Them To "Get Out Now"

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

I Had to Tell Them To "Get Out Now"

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm not a firefighter but sometimes I assist them. The other night we had a large fire of a commercial structure that was grandfathered in to the city code in a residential neighborhood. The building was full of various toxic and mildly explosive chemicals. I was the second one there and by the time I got there the building was fully involved.

The building was wedged between two streets and therefore had residential housing on both sides. The fire was already spreading in to the neighboring yards so at 2AM we went door to door waking up families in endangered structures and telling them to get out of their houses immediately. Confused, suspicious, upset, sleepy, sometimes angry people they mostly were.

We were lucky, the only thing that was a total loss were the businesses in the building. Our fire department is actually good and they were quick that night. Out of five houses evacuated not one person grabbed a BOB. Not saying they couldn't have had one in their car but when they walked out of their houses, possibly for the last time, the only people carrying stuff were the kids with their favorite toys.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Re: I Had to Tell Them To "Get Out Now"

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Stercutus wrote:I'm not a firefighter but sometimes I assist them. The other night we had a large fire of a commercial structure that was grandfathered in to the city code in a residential neighborhood. The building was full of various toxic and mildly explosive chemicals. I was the second one there and by the time I got there the building was fully involved.

The building was wedged between two streets and therefore had residential housing on both sides. The fire was already spreading in to the neighboring yards so at 2AM we went door to door waking up families in endangered structures and telling them to get out of their houses immediately. Confused, suspicious, upset, sleepy, sometimes angry people they mostly were.

We were lucky, the only thing that was a total loss were the businesses in the building. Our fire department is actually good and they were quick that night. Out of five houses evacuated not one person grabbed a BOB. Not saying they couldn't have had one in their car but when they walked out of their houses, possibly for the last time, the only people carrying stuff were the kids with their favorite toys.
You Probably scared them. You should smile more. :clownshoes:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 pm

My primary BOB is in the car, but right really need to do some home ones.

Thank you for sharing.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Great point. I have a BOB in my car. That's my main one. I have gutted my home BOB. Really should get that up and running again.

Thanks!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 am

Agreed thanks for the observation and feedback.

I am not sure I would be fully functioning at 2am after being awaken for such an event. I do keep a BOB in my car trunk. I think I would ok but I would not leave without my pets. That would pose the biggest impediment to a rapid bug out especially at 2am.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:09 pm

My family would probably look memorable with each member running out of the house with armloads of guns.
Boldly going nowhere

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:26 pm

actually had something similar last night. we had a suprising amount of rain fall, leading to some local flooding.

Finding myself in about 2 foot water with sandbags and swift water rescue door knocking, the resident had two choices.
sandbags or evacuate.

An interesting night indeed
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 pm

I have stuff in my BOV, but I am going nowhere without my cat!

I'll take my chances without my BOB. Which is setup of a wilderness type of thingy. :D

CG

Post by CG » Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 am

Honestly, in that sort of situation, I may not think to grab my bag packed with clothes, but I have a gym bag packed and in the car for me at all times so I'll actually go to the gym. I at least have one set of clean clothes. I would, however, grab my purse, phone, and laptop (even if I just unplug it and don't grab the charger - I can get a new charger).

I can run into Walmart & get clothes for everybody for a few days. The only thing we'd have an issue with is hubby's work clothes, and I think they'd understand.

We do, however, need to do a video inventory of everything. I have the serial numbers of the guns recorded, but since we buy most things second-hand, I don't have the info for the gaming consoles, TV, games, videos, kitchenware, clothing, etc.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I recently went to visit some family in Alabama and while I was there I stopped by to see my brother Mike. We discussed various BOBs and the need to have at least one.

Especially after I went into his garage. He stores his ammo in four of those steel tool job boxes. I think they were the large 48inch models.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/pro ... 4_1000.jpg

All I could think of was a scene from Tremors, Aftershock. Holy smokes, if this place ever catches on fire it is going to be big....my second thought was I wonder if there is a limit to the amount of ammunition, powder, primers and assorted brands of binary explosives like Tannerite. Because it always amazes me when there is some kind of news story about a man with an arsenal of four or five firearms (some of which appear to be air rifles of some type) and his stock pile of 400 assorted rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fiCM0eQlkA

In the end we did start on two BoBs, both intended to be large and left at home, since he had a nice get home from work BoB in his truck. For a JIC moment like you described.

I did ask Mike what he plans were if there was a fire, and all he said was run far and fast.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Especially after I went into his garage. He stores his ammo in four of those steel tool job boxes. I think they were the large 48inch models.
Give me his number I will have a talk with him. He is not keeping up the Alabama standards of storage if his round count has gotten so low to fit in to four tiny lockers. Unless that is just his roll out load in which case he is ok. He may just have his full stockage in another location.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Give me his number I will have a talk with him. He is not keeping up the Alabama standards of storage if his round count has gotten so low to fit in to four tiny lockers. Unless that is just his roll out load in which case he is ok. He may just have his full stockage in another location.

I think that was just his rollout stuff, he is really serious about his firearms and the assorted stuff that goes with it.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 pm

I wanted to bump this up to highlight the need for a good bugout bag.

I got a rare opportunity to spend a whole week with one of my little brothers recently. He told me about taking in a friends family that evacuated for a hurricane.

They showed up with nothing. Not even toothbrushes or a change of clothes for anyone. They showed up and just expected to be completely cared for, kids and all. They had plenty of warning. They didn't pack bags or bring food from their pantry to contribute. My brother no longer considers them friends and makes no effort to reach out to them.

My bugout bag is literally a weekend travel bag with the addition of a backup drive with all my electronic files. It hangs by my back door. I use it all the time for weekend trips. If there's a fire in the night, I grab my phone as I get out of bed, and grab that bag and shoes as I go out the door. I can then change in my driveway as I call 911. It gets repacked every time I travel anywhere, so the clothes are always season appropriate. A few years ago I went to Italy for two weeks with minimal notice to help one of my tribe move while they had serious challenges. I was packed in 45 minutes while maintaining multiple text based conversations over it. That weekend travel/bugout bag had the core of all I needed. I just added additional basic clothes and searched it thoroughly for spare magazines and ammo I didn't want to take on a plane. I didn't forget anything.

I don't currently see value in having a BOB with outdoor gear. All the likely evacuation scenrios I face still leave plenty of homes all over the region and across the world I can go to that I will be welcome in. I just need a weekend bag and my personal data to cover me for a few days while I start the next steps.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Second that on the usefulness of having a bag basically ready to go. But, depending on what kind of outdoor gear is meant, I think there IS value in having certain "outdoor gear" items in with your BOB.

It's really nice if you're one of the lucky people who has no limit to friends and family who will host them, with every one of those friends and family respecting your possessions and being great hosts and hostesses, but that hasn't been an experience I would expect.

Chances are reasonable that if you're evacuating, your neighbors and nearby family may be in a similar situation. Meaning slowed or blocked traffic, normally available hotel rooms filled up, local stores- if open- being low on or out of certain types of desired/important items... and lots and lots of stress.

One example of a piece of "outdoor gear" that fits the usefulness bill in my mind is a small, freestanding tent. A SMALL tent (like a bivvy tent) that doesn't need tie-downs can be set up indoors, providing both a private sleeping space, and help with some minor security for/organization of your remaining possessions against the opportunistically curious.

It just keeps things more tidy in general when your space (ie tent interior) is clearly delineated as yours... no matter where your space is it at that moment (ie floor of hotel room, living room, whereever.) If your tent is as small as feasible, you're more flexible in being able to use it. If your privacy helps increase the privacy of others around you, all the better... Especially if you're traveling with friends or family, who might feel entitled to disregard boundaries under stressful conditions. Or who like to sleep naked. Either or.

The comfort of environmental familiarity is of immense psychological value, so if you're already familiar AND comfortable with some small tent that's in your possession, and you have it in your go bag, then even when you're temporarily displaced for a stressful reason, it's like your home's still kind of with you, if the situation calls for needing it. That means mental resources that would ordinarily be going to stress are free to use for other things.

I think a lighter and a powered light source are two other "outdoor" pieces of equipment that belong in a go bag, too. So many times when the power goes off and your gas range at home relies on electricity to start, do you want a match and a headlamp for cooking. ...And sunscreen and bug spray. You'll always end up outside somehow for hours and hours when you don't have those.

Pretty much the only "outdoor" pieces of equipment I can think of to leave at home would be somewhat bulky or heavy things like a cathole shovel, or fishing/hunting gear... and honestly, those could be useful substituting for various non-outdoors things, if the need arose. Not just as a deterrent, but in place of other stuff. (Your bootlace breaks, but you have fishing line. Fixed. You're trapped in your car and can't break open the window during a flood, but you have a steel cathole shovel with a sturdy end accessible to you that can help with that. It's dark out and you're evacuating but your car dies, and you get out to walk, but you have your hunter orange vest with reflective strips on it, and your headlamp, so people driving by can see still you. Examples.)

I can't tell you how many times (facepalm) I've removed a tarp from my pack because "I'm not going anywhere camping-wise, just to... " then, found that I wanted to sit somewhere and reeeally could have used that barrier... between my not-ruined-yet clothes and something... damp... D: and ended up choosing to awkwardy stand instead, in lieu of resting when I had a chance to, if I JUST had something nonporous like a tarp to protect things.

And water.

The always most important thing. "Nah. I won't need more than a little water bottle, if that. It's making my pack heavier than need. Half full of a .5 liter bottle? Sure, that's plenty good enough for now. I'll be back in a couple hours anyways, most likely"... doesn't generally turn out well for my wallet or my attitude even when there isn't an emergency. :oh:
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:15 am

You've got a good point about a small tent. I have stuff in the car for sitting on the ground, so I don't feel a need to keep it in my bag.

I can also see the value in a good sleeping bag, especially in the winter. There are multiple scenarios it might be worth napping in my car. It's also far less burdensome on hosts if they don't need to get out bedding. I've found a big part of being welcome in people's home is being known for not being a burden and actively contributing. I'll play around with adding a light bedroll to my bag and see how I like it.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

CaptainDrewBoy

Post by CaptainDrewBoy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm
I'm not a firefighter but sometimes I assist them. The other night we had a large fire of a commercial structure that was grandfathered in to the city code in a residential neighborhood. The building was full of various toxic and mildly explosive chemicals. I was the second one there and by the time I got there the building was fully involved.

*Sigh*
Not enough Preppers out there. This is why it's our duty to spread the word and prepare for fires, for earthquakes, for mass attacks and even for a PAW.
Well done on assisting the fire services though!
Let's all be as safe as possible, 'aight?

Return to “Survival Experiences”