What was your first pistol?

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: What was your first pistol?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:14 pm

My first pistol was a Nagant revolver.

It was more of a neat little conversation piece than a useful handgun.

Eventually, I moved on and bought a RIA 1911 and later a Glock 21 Gen 4.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 pm

A brand new Colt 1991. A few years and about 500 rounds later, I sold it to my dad, who ended up selling it to a pawn shop.

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:00 am

Tanfoglio combat in 9mm. Didn't like it and replaced it with a Beretta 92fs which I really hated :lol: Now I have a Glock 35 and a 9mm RIA 1911 and both of them are much more to my liking :)
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:24 am

Ruger Mk III Target
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Inazone

Post by Inazone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:29 pm

I started out with a Walther P22. That thing was picky about ammo and a nightmare to tear down for cleaning. It would vibrate itself apart over the course of a few dozen rounds. I traded it toward a Beretta PX4 9mm subcompact which became my first CC handgun.

Laager

Post by Laager » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:37 pm

My first revolver was High Standard “The Marshall” in .22LR

My first Semi Auto was a WWII 9mm Browning Inglis HI Power from Canada with the wood stock/holster.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:11 pm

44mag. Ruger Super Blackhawk. 7" Stainless.

I had turned 18 a few months before and a guy walked in my dads machine shop needing some work done on a set if 2.8L GM cyl heads.... his wife over heated his S10 and blew the head gaskets..... l traded out my labor for surfacing, pressure test, installing new seals and gave him $300.

Still have it. Have taken a number of white tail deer and black bear with it over the years.

Total riot to shoot for fun as well... Have used it to win a number of bets hitting clay targets at 100+yrds.
Will

minengr

Post by minengr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 am

My first was a S&W Mod 15 that two buddies chipped in and bought me for my 21st birthday. The first I purchased for myself was a Star PD.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Beretta Panther 25 ACP :awesome:

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:18 pm

minengr wrote:My first was a S&W Mod 15 that two buddies chipped in and bought me for my 21st birthday. The first I purchased for myself was a Star PD.
And I hope you still have that M15!

Mine was a FIE .25 ACP that I got for a song before I was legally old enough to own a pistol. I still have it in the safe.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

celtic_phoenix
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by celtic_phoenix » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 am

My first and only is my Bersa .380. Fits my hand beautifully, shoots well(except for the Herters stuff it doesn't like it much), and isn't overly large so fairly easy to conceal(for when I get my CHL). Bought it on the way to a wedding, and have put maybe 200 or so odd rounds through it. Yeah I know I'm a rookie at shooting in comparison to some of ya'll, I only started going to the range back in January this year.
ZS fleet number ZS-0491
Not all who wander are lost. J. R.R. Tolkien
You can take the girl out of Kansas, but can't take the Kansas out of the girl.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:25 am

Inazone wrote:I started out with a Walther P22. That thing was picky about ammo and a nightmare to tear down for cleaning. It would vibrate itself apart over the course of a few dozen rounds. I traded it toward a Beretta PX4 9mm subcompact which became my first CC handgun.
Sounds like my Sterling 302 22LR, couldn't get the damn thing to cycle the moment it had 2 maybe 3 mags worth of fouling on it, also you better not forget yourself and fully load the magazine. That was one spiteful little gun! :lol:
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 am

celtic_phoenix wrote:My first and only is my Bersa .380. Fits my hand beautifully, shoots well(except for the Herters stuff it doesn't like it much), and isn't overly large so fairly easy to conceal(for when I get my CHL). Bought it on the way to a wedding, and have put maybe 200 or so odd rounds through it. Yeah I know I'm a rookie at shooting in comparison to some of ya'll, I only started going to the range back in January this year.

Don't feel bad about being a rookie - EVERYBODY was at one time..... :lol:

HeldTheAncient

Post by HeldTheAncient » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Inazone wrote:I started out with a Walther P22. That thing was picky about ammo and a nightmare to tear down for cleaning. It would vibrate itself apart over the course of a few dozen rounds. I traded it toward a Beretta PX4 9mm subcompact which became my first CC handgun.
My first pistol was also a Walther P22. I never had any issues with it whatsoever. It WAS a bit of a pain to put back together after cleaning. I bought a second one at a gun show a couple of years ago and it had a firing pin issue. Sent it in to Walther and they repaired it and sent some extra replacement parts all for free!

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
celtic_phoenix wrote:My first and only is my Bersa .380. Fits my hand beautifully, shoots well(except for the Herters stuff it doesn't like it much), and isn't overly large so fairly easy to conceal(for when I get my CHL). Bought it on the way to a wedding, and have put maybe 200 or so odd rounds through it. Yeah I know I'm a rookie at shooting in comparison to some of ya'll, I only started going to the range back in January this year.

And let me add; You are only one decent handgun class away from being miles ahead of the average person I see at the range with a handgun and many on this board as well. Not everyone here is a gun person nor have all of those had training. :D

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Hunt4lyf

Post by Hunt4lyf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 pm

High Standard Double Nine 22 LR. Lots of rabbits have fallen to that pistol in the last 27 years.

Doc Loveless

Post by Doc Loveless » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 am

When I turned 21 the first thing I did was play a little bit of craps in Las Vegas :mrgreen:
A few days later I filled out paperwork for a stainless ruger 22/45
I still have it and she shoots like a laser

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:07 am

doc66 wrote:
minengr wrote:My first was a S&W Mod 15 that two buddies chipped in and bought me for my 21st birthday. The first I purchased for myself was a Star PD.
And I hope you still have that M15!

Mine was a FIE .25 ACP that I got for a song before I was legally old enough to own a pistol. I still have it in the safe.
Oh yes. I don't shoot it much, but I'll never get rid of it.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

HeldTheAncient

Post by HeldTheAncient » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 am

Doc Loveless wrote:When I turned 21 the first thing I did was play a little bit of craps in Las Vegas :mrgreen:
A few days later I filled out paperwork for a stainless ruger 22/45
I still have it and she shoots like a laser
That's my favorite .22 I have ever had. Whoever stole it out of my truck in 2012 probably likes it too...

celtic_phoenix
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by celtic_phoenix » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Redeyes wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:

And let me add; You are only one decent handgun class away from being miles ahead of the average person I see at the range with a handgun and many on this board as well. Not everyone here is a gun person nor have all of those had training. :D
Actually the gentleman who has been teaching me is a damn good teacher. Not officially a trainer but could/should be. He invited the newbie in our chapter out to the range one day, and that as they say is that. We've been together since and he's taught me a lot, and has been patient with me while I had a bit of a time figuring why I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with longarms. Got that sorted out and can now do palm sized groupings(my palm not his) at 25 yds on an 8x11 target(with .223/.556 & 7.62x39) and am slowly improving with a 20 gauge. His feeling is that if I want to try shooting it caliber wise, he's game, even if he laughs till he's in tears because of my reaction to the recoil(ask him about the .357). Now just to see how I do with greater distance.
ZS fleet number ZS-0491
Not all who wander are lost. J. R.R. Tolkien
You can take the girl out of Kansas, but can't take the Kansas out of the girl.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Bought a p22 and Sig 229 on same day, sold the p22 in 06, still have the sig.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:48 am

First one I have owned is my Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm, so far the only pistol I have ever had although I have shot many others. I use it for CC.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

DocZ

Post by DocZ » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:55 am

First pistol ever fired was a Beretta M9 while i was in the service.

Saved for it then decided to go with the Sig P226 Mk25.

Use it for conceal carry and love it to death.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:16 am

When I was in 7th grade I got a Ruger .22 Auto Pistol for my birthday. Didn't make much sense but I really wanted one and my dad got it for me, already had a single shot .22 rifle. Couldn't hit much with it,and I traded it in for a Savage 22/20 over under for hunting.
got a better .22 Rifle and a nice SXS 20 ga. shotgun. Didn't have much use for the savage 22/20 anymore so I traded it in for another Ruger .22 Auto pistol! I wonder now if it was the same one I traded for the savage.
We had a small gun shop in town and I remember going in there with my dad and picking out what guns I wanted. My dad wasn't a gun guy, been in the service but that was about it. I don't remember him ever shooting with me but he must have. Remember him going hunting with me a few times but because he had too, he would read a book.
He told the gun shop it was OK to sell me ammo, I used to walk down during lunch at school and buy it and then go back to school with it bringing it home on the bus. This store would sell individual shotgun shells and I remember buying 6. I take my girlfriend now to this Gas station that sells loose cigarettes, " Oneses" and always makes me think about me buying loose shotgun shells as a kid

Return to “Survival Experiences”