Being shot during civil unrest: When Police goes wild.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DoctorCandelario

Being shot during civil unrest: When Police goes wild.

Post by DoctorCandelario » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Many of you may know that there is a mounting civilian unrest in Venezuela. I's been already about 52 days of protests, with as much as 35 dead (oficial figures) 500+ wounded and 2000 arrests. Authorities are going hard on cracking down protests.

A lot of riot control material has been launched this days. Tons of CS gas, with a lot of expired material (Ive seen canisters falling dead as bricks, bouncing and hitting people around) and a lot of duds. In university protests in Caracas a group of guys and I picked alone 281 triple-phase canisters, and that wasn't even half of what was used. About 144 (tons estimated) have been used around the country this days. Also rubber buckshot, and in some heavy cases, shooting (with live lead ammunition)

I heard rumors and saw pictures of policemen and national guardsmen (which are used in public order duties) that were loading glass marbles (the ones that kids play with) in riot control shotgun cartridges and using them as improvised slugs. I went to a protest with a group of college students as a "medic", since I got some above average gear and some medical knowledge. Since I was maybe going to be exposed to being shot with rubebr bullets and the risk of being hit by CS canisters, specially if having to drag people out, that day I decided to wear my body armor. Level IIIA with steel trauma plates, concealed under clothing.

As expected, things went nuts and all hell broke loose. Long story short, in the middle of the standoff the military unit which was doing the disperse-and-arrest role that day made a full frontal assault on the demostration and shot a large volley of tear gas canisters directly at people, and shot some rubber rounds. While running back I heard a loud "TACK!" sound in my back and felt like being slapped on my back with force. I thought I was hit by a canister so I didn't gave it much thought.

But then I got home, removed my shirt and found out it had a hole in the middle of the back side. I then removed my body armor and found this:

The marble was broken to shards and I only found out tiny glass bits, I guess most of it fell out. I couldn't believe my eyes, let alone believe a glass marble could carry so much energy to dent the trauma plate. Kevlar alone would have sufficed to stop it without breaking a sweat, but I undertook the task of adding a couple of plates that didn't came with the vest to give me a little more protection.

All the thought I gave once to buying body armor being unusefull vanished, instantly. Maybe its not going to be usefull or practical in every SHTF situation, but It helped me this time. I cant imagine where I would be today if that thing went right into my spine.

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Re: Being shot during civil unrest: When Police goes wild.

Post by mystic_1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 pm

:shock:

Holy shit, dude! Glad you are ok.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Wow, crazy! Time to get a new plate, or invest in an even better rig?

Stay safe out there.

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:56 pm

feedthedog wrote:Wow, crazy! Time to get a new plate, or invest in an even better rig?

Stay safe out there.
Got a lot of spare plates, I replaced it already.

Its hard to find good armor around, and its quite expensive. I wish I could import from you (by you I mean United States) but your laws say I cant. Or at least I am not familiarized with the propper paperwork to legally buy armor from outside the US (I guess its going to be specially difficult because of the fact that my government its not quite friendly of yours)

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:52 pm

DoctorCandelario wrote:
feedthedog wrote:Wow, crazy! Time to get a new plate, or invest in an even better rig?

Stay safe out there.
Got a lot of spare plates, I replaced it already.

Its hard to find good armor around, and its quite expensive. I wish I could import from you (by you I mean United States) but your laws say I cant. Or at least I am not familiarized with the propper paperwork to legally buy armor from outside the US (I guess its going to be specially difficult because of the fact that my government its not quite friendly of yours)
Could you buy from somewhere like Israel?

TrippyJoey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead

Post by TrippyJoey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Wow man seeing this makes me wish I had the money to buy new plates.
Also I think there is a book online regarding how to make armor plates from ship grade high yield strength steel. It could be heavy but a cheap alternative.
The only good zombie is the one with a hole thru its forehead.

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Damn. :shock: Glad you planned ahead man for just in case.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:22 am

My advise is to avoid areas where the protests are instead of getting involved in them, this will keep you safer then having the best armor on.

I'm sure lots here in the USA think that something like this can happen only in some foreign country, not me, I think under the right circumstances it would occur here in the USA and that the police and government would act the same way

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:21 am

I'm sure lots here in the USA think that something like this can happen only in some foreign country, not me, I think under the right circumstances it would occur here in the USA and that the police and government would act the same way[/quote]
Skull_Hide wrote:Damn. :shock: Glad you planned ahead man for just in case.
^^ I agree

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:51 pm

My jaw literally dropped when I saw that damage, I am usually an advocate of no armor, better to be maneuverable, but I gotta admit defeat on this one. That armor probably saved you from being a handicap at least, but more likely actually saved your life. Is there anyone who could school me as to what is going on right now in Venezuela? I know some stuff is going down, but I've saw no news coverage of it.

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:24 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:My jaw literally dropped when I saw that damage, I am usually an advocate of no armor, better to be maneuverable, but I gotta admit defeat on this one. That armor probably saved you from being a handicap at least, but more likely actually saved your life. Is there anyone who could school me as to what is going on right now in Venezuela? I know some stuff is going down, but I've saw no news coverage of it.
Admitted, speed can win some fights, but not all.

This is yet another great example why extra protection is important. I'm very glad you posted your experience and I hope that things change for the better in Venezuela.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:47 am

¡Hijo de la chingada! :shock:

Ojala que tu y tu familia esten todos bien.

This goes to show the importance of having some kind of body armor if you plan to go out into the fray. As pointed out, staying at home is the safest option. But I can understand the OP wanting to help out. I have done protest photography in the past and have had to deal with a little pepper spray. I have recently been thinking about body armor and other gear should I decide to play photographer at a protest again. It could be educational. Here in the Bay Area there have been protests in Oakland that have turned into riots. Riots after a serious disaster would be worse. So a smaller scale riot could be provide some useful insight into what it might be like after a major earthquake or other disaster. I am still not sure if I want to put my self in harms way, but if I do, I will post pictures. Lets just hope I am not given the opportunity to photograph a riot :mrgreen:

Another important lesson to learn from this thread is that this sort of thing can happen anywhere. Heck this type of stuff happened here in the US back in the 60's. So we need to be ready for all kinds of disasters, including those involving law enforcement and the military.
Last edited by Purple_Mutant on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 am

Purple_Mutant wrote:¡Hijo de la chingada! :shock:

Ojala que tu y tu familia esten todos bien.

This goes to show the importance of having some kind of body armor if you plan to go out into the fray. As pointed out, staying at home is the safest option. But I can understand the OP wanting to help out. I have done protest photography in the past and have had to deal with a little pepper spray. I have recently been thinking about body armor and other gear should I decide to play photographer at a protest again. It could be educational. Here in the Bay Area there have been protests in Oakland that have turned into riots. Riots after a serious disaster would be worse. So a smaller scale riot could be provide some useful insight into what it might be like after a major earthquake or other disaster. I am still not sure if I want to put my self in harms way, but if I do, I will post pictures. Lets just hope I am not given the opportunity to photograph a riot :mrgreen:

Another important lesson to learn from this thread is that this sort of thing can happen anywhere. Heck this type of stuff happened here in the US back in the 60's. So we need to be ready for all kinds of disasters, including those involving law enforcement and the military.
I have to help my friends, i try to stay allways out of harms way but there comes that time when you need to fight back or at least help those that fight.

Well around here is mandatory for journalists covering protests to use body armor, helmets (doesn't have to be ballistic equipment but its recommended) and gas masks.

Even wearing "Press" badges or I.D. tags doesn't mean they are untouchable, there have been at least 4-5 arrests of foreign journalists, getting their equipment stolen. Same with national reporters, some have been beaten, some have been arrested.

Countries like mine show you something that you don't suffer in such a big scale there in the US or you haven't suffered it in a while; absolute lack or despise on police procedures, respect for laws and human rights. There have been police abuses in the US, a lot, with at least some justice being served to officers that did wrong; but over here, abuse is State policy.

The fact that officers let or encourage soldiers to load glass marbles (along other stuff like bearings and nuts have surfaced) to disolve protests tells you a lot. Don't even get me started on what happens to people when they get arrested; some are lucky, some are not that lucky, at least no one has died in captivity... yet.

Tear gas is being used on a daily basis even if there is not rioting, military and police forces just shoot them for fun.

Bear in mind the deep presence of military personel against rioting. Reading world news and history shows you that the worst kind of abuses and massacres happen when the military is left to control civil unrest. And also, most countries where military forces are used in crowd control usually don't have very democratic governments. Here police sucks, but it's better to be caught by the police than to be caught by the National Guard.

And well, law enforcement is barred from carrying deadly firearms to crowd control duties. However, this picture was taken yesterday in Chacao municipality in Caracas (capital):

Things are slowly going ugly. Down in the countryside its much worse.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 am

Wow! They shot you in the back and tried to kill you... That's what I call oppression... Glad you walked away from it.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:45 pm

Keep your head on a swivel brother and stay safe.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 pm

England and Germany may be two good sources of armor that might be willing to send to Venezuela, and I think there are several countries in south America that sell a lot of ballistic gear and that have no laws against owning it(Mexico and Colombia comes to mind) and they may also be OK with shipping to Venezuela.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Wow marbles loaded into shotgun shells? Those could easily prove lethal or disabling if struck by one in the right place. Stay frosty man!
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 pm

God damn.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 am

Like others have said....Wow.

If there is difficulty getting Kevlar and Ballistic plates in your country you can improvise. How easy is it to get Lexan? Even tile wrapped in duct tape would provide some very basic protection.

The way that marble hit did damage to your vest I'm thinking that would have been lethal if you were wearing nothing.

Be safe and good luck.

TheWarriorMax
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheWarriorMax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Body armour is illegal in Australia.

This thread explains the reasons quite well.
"And how can a man die better,
than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of his fathers,
and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia" on kindle:

https://tinyurl.com/y9jhv6y4

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:20 am

Nick Adams wrote:My advise is to avoid areas where the protests are instead of getting involved in them, this will keep you safer then having the best armor on.

I'm sure lots here in the USA think that something like this can happen only in some foreign country, not me, I think under the right circumstances it would occur here in the USA and that the police and government would act the same way
By not going to protests and standing up for one's self you're just going to allow those with an absolute authority of force trample all over your rights. It's the duty of every free person to stand up for these rights in order to continue being free.

Just look at what happened in Nevada with the Bundy Ranch ordeal. The People stood up. The People won.

Tucking tail just to be "safe" is a sure fire way of everyone losing their rights to freedom and allowing those in power to trample those rights.

I applaud the OP on his stance, even if he did get shot. Having the body armor saved him and that's a great thing. OP don't ever stand down. Go for your freedoms.

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:59 am

vahtryn wrote: By not going to protests and standing up for one's self you're just going to allow those with an absolute authority of force trample all over your rights. It's the duty of every free person to stand up for these rights in order to continue being free.

Just look at what happened in Nevada with the Bundy Ranch ordeal. The People stood up. The People won.

Tucking tail just to be "safe" is a sure fire way of everyone losing their rights to freedom and allowing those in power to trample those rights.

I applaud the OP on his stance, even if he did get shot. Having the body armor saved him and that's a great thing. OP don't ever stand down. Go for your freedoms.
Well, thanks for the support. We live in crazy times over here. Im still a university student although a working man, and outside of my university some serious confrontations have taken place, not to mention that inside the university, owing to something called "autonomy", police forces cant enter freely. Nor does government. And since Security forces inside the university are unarmed, radical leftist groups have always strived inside it.

About 3 weeks ago on one of the protests that took place inside the campus, one of this leftist groups appeared, Beat the living hell of a couple of dudes, stole their clothings and belongings, and then fired shots and threw pipebombs at demostrators. The crow managed to grab one of them and almost beat him to death. He later appeared as government propaganda, showing "how violent we are". Funny thing is, foreign press and some brave domestic press captured every second of them attacking us and shooting us.

I have been going with concealed armor and with my CCW for about a month and a half to study. It's sickening, but life must go on.

HMPlatinum

Post by HMPlatinum » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Wow doesn't suffice, but it's all I have.
I applaud your courage and that of your friends.
Well done on the preps and I'm sorry you (all of you) have to go through this.
May the end be soon and peaceful.
- Sent via two rabid squirrels and a large slingshot (please catch and return the squirrels...they're special)

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 am

vahtryn wrote:
Nick Adams wrote:My advise is to avoid areas where the protests are instead of getting involved in them, this will keep you safer then having the best armor on.

By not going to protests and standing up for one's self you're just going to allow those with an absolute authority of force trample all over your rights. It's the duty of every free person to stand up for these rights in order to continue being free.

I don't know what getting shot with a marble accomplished when it came to keeping anyone from loosing their rights, could have easily killed him. Does he have more rights now then he did before?
From what I read the OP went there to help his friends and I could see that I guess

I don't know if I would say that "The People" won because some armed militia types showed up to support a guy that has been grazing a large herd of cattle illegally on the "peoples" land with out paying anything for 20 years. I don't think it was about his freedoms but more about him not wanting to pay the fees charged or to follow the rules in order to graze his cows on the people land.

I think in a situation as described , large urban riots, your number one job should be to protect yourself and your loved ones. I think the best way to do this is to stay out of the riots and the areas they are in.

Return to “Survival Experiences”