Had to room clear the house

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TrippyJoey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead

Had to room clear the house

Post by TrippyJoey » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:54 pm

So I was sleeping late after a very tiring day yesterday when my gf woke me up and whispered that she heard someone in the house. I didn't a wait to hear if what she heard was an actual intruder I rushed to the closet to where my shotgun and pistol case are. I took my pistol out loaded a magazine and racked a round in the chamber. I told my gf to stay in the room then I paused at the door and took a deep breath before opening the door and poking down the hallway with my pistol ready and safety off. Slowly and as quite as I could I went hitting every room done the hallway remembering what I knew regarding close quarters once I reached the living room I checked the door for signs of forced entry and nothing followed by the kitchen/garage door. After closer examination it just ended up being the dog that might have been poking around in the bathroom.

I feel I wasn't ready enough. My handgun was not within arms reach, neither was the flashlight I usually carry. If I had had to use lethal force I would have had ten shots since this handgun is still new to me and I don't have extra magazines for it.
My other option was using my shotgun at first but it's long length and over penetration would be problemating in such a tight hallway.
I'm going this week to the range and practice as well to see if I can work something out with the instructor to get a proper handgun course. I'm also gonna get a holster and load it with an extra magazine or two and I'll rethink how I store my primary home defense firearm.
The only good zombie is the one with a hole thru its forehead.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Re: Had to room clear the house

Post by emclean » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:05 am

IMO the length of the shot gun isn't an issue (otoh i have a bayonet for mine) if an intruder grabs the barrel, pull the trigger. even if you miss, they will let go.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:17 am

Personally, I I think the length of a long-arm is an issue, especially in a "tight hallway".

When I have heard a bump in the night, I reach for the G34 (in a quick access safe I can reach while still lying in bed) There are corners in my house that are too tight to effectively slice the pie. I want to be able to fire from retention, have a hand free for holding someone off, operate door knobs or light switches, etc.
WWSD?

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:10 pm

emclean wrote:IMO the length of the shot gun isn't an issue (otoh i have a bayonet for mine) if an intruder grabs the barrel, pull the trigger. even if you miss, they will let go.
It's a Maverick 88 with the 28 inch barrel to turn from the hallway to the kitchen I would have to poke a foot of the barrel into the kitchen before I can slice the pie to look into the kitchen.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm trying to understand why you thought it was a good idea to "clear" your house. Seems like you are ill prepared gear wise. Seems like there wasn't any sort of plan prepared ahead of time. Then you left a safe and secure room. And you left your girlfriend behind alone.

What's more important, protecting property or people?

What if this was a confused neighbor? What if it was a B&E robbery? What if it was a home invasion with multiple assailants?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

JoshuaJJackson

Post by JoshuaJJackson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

TrippyJoey wrote:So I was sleeping late after a very tiring day yesterday when my gf woke me up and whispered that she heard someone in the house. I didn't a wait to hear if what she heard was an actual intruder I rushed to the closet to where my shotgun and pistol case are. I took my pistol out loaded a magazine and racked a round in the chamber. I told my gf to stay in the room then I paused at the door and took a deep breath before opening the door and poking down the hallway with my pistol ready and safety off. Slowly and as quite as I could I went hitting every room done the hallway remembering what I knew regarding close quarters once I reached the living room I checked the door for signs of forced entry and nothing followed by the kitchen/garage door. After closer examination it just ended up being the dog that might have been poking around in the bathroom.

I feel I wasn't ready enough. My handgun was not within arms reach, neither was the flashlight I usually carry. If I had had to use lethal force I would have had ten shots since this handgun is still new to me and I don't have extra magazines for it.
My other option was using my shotgun at first but it's long length and over penetration would be problemating in such a tight hallway.
I'm going this week to the range and practice as well to see if I can work something out with the instructor to get a proper handgun course. I'm also gonna get a holster and load it with an extra magazine or two and I'll rethink how I store my primary home defense firearm.
I kinda have to agree with Murph. Being so un-preprared in the other areas, I'm sure the tactics are not there either. One man room clearing isn't something I would want to do, but your situation will dictate. In my case and my house layout I would need to clear my house while my wife gets to my kids.

The other question in the my mind is your home defense gun should already be loaded. I have a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old my carry/HD gun is loaded at all times, just have to be smart about it.

I personally keep a 19 round mag in my Glock 19, because the last thing I want to be concerned with is grabbing more magazines. I also keep a 12ga next to the bed as well but would probably never grab it first, mostly due to the length, and my pistol will hopefully be eventually suppressed to not hurt my kids hearing if I ever have to use it inside.

And rifle length is an issue, there is a reason you see police and military going as short as possible M4/MK18.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:01 pm

And rifle length is an issue, there is a reason you see police and military going as short as possible M4/MK18.
it is an issue, but i prefer the firepower of a 12 gauge over any handgun. your personal tactical situation must dictate whet you use.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 pm

I hate to use James Yeager as an example for anything, but he is spot on with his thoughts on shotgun length vs pistol. When you extend the pistol at arms length to fire, you are taking up the same space as a shotgun barrel.

Fast forward to the 5:20 mark.

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

JoshuaJJackson

Post by JoshuaJJackson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:50 pm

Maverick299 wrote:I hate to use James Yeager as an example for anything, but he is spot on with his thoughts on shotgun length vs pistol. When you extend the pistol at arms length to fire, you are taking up the same space as a shotgun barrel.

Yes standing still pointing a gun at a camera they will indeed be the same extended length. A shorter weapon will be move maneuverable in close quarters, I vividly remember the massive difference in going from a M16A4 to using an M4 in shoot houses and/or CQB training and practice.

I'm not saying you can't use a shotgun effectively, just that shorter weapons are easily to manipulate in tighter quarters.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Murph wrote:I'm trying to understand why you thought it was a good idea to "clear" your house. Seems like you are ill prepared gear wise. Seems like there wasn't any sort of plan prepared ahead of time. Then you left a safe and secure room. And you left your girlfriend behind alone.

What's more important, protecting property or people?

What if this was a confused neighbor? What if it was a B&E robbery? What if it was a home invasion with multiple assailants?
I realize that. That's why if it happens again I'm planning on being better prepared and acting much different. :(

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Maverick299 wrote:I hate to use James Yeager as an example for anything, but he is spot on with his thoughts on shotgun length vs pistol. When you extend the pistol at arms length to fire, you are taking up the same space as a shotgun barrel.

I agree with you, I hate that you used James Yeager as an example for anything. :lol:

IMO, his point at 5:20 is completely off the mark. You can't shoot from retention with a shotgun like a handgun. If you keep the barrel of a long-arm at low ready it takes time to present and you open yourself up the very real possibility of getting into a wrestling match in a narrow hallway or as an intruder pops out of a doorway.

And if you don't keep a long-arm at low ready, your really asking for a gun grab. Not to mention the blast from a shotgun inside the house. I do believe in shotguns for home defense, outside the house walls.

Do whatever you think is best, but after doing some shoot house work, and then doing a realistic walk-though house clearing runs, I'll stick to my G34.
WWSD?

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 pm

To sidestep the question of firearms:

I'd recommend making some changes to increase your situational awareness. If you have the cash, security cameras are great. If the cameras are too expensive, you could check on outdoor motion detectors. A typical home alarm would be helpful too. Beefing up your physical security is good too: doors, door locks, fences, etc. Another option would be getting a dog or two. I guarantee my dogs would find an intruder in my house way faster than I could. Even a small dog like a yorkie could let you know what is going on.

If you know that the situation is serious you could sit tight, train your weapon of choice on the door, call the cops, and wait for help. That way you don't get stuck trying to clear rooms. Even Soldiers don't clear buildings by themselves.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:18 pm

feedthedog wrote:To sidestep the question of firearms:

I'd recommend making some changes to increase your situational awareness. If you have the cash, security cameras are great. If the cameras are too expensive, you could check on outdoor motion detectors. A typical home alarm would be helpful too. Beefing up your physical security is good too: doors, door locks, fences, etc. Another option would be getting a dog or two. I guarantee my dogs would find an intruder in my house way faster than I could. Even a small dog like a yorkie could let you know what is going on.

If you know that the situation is serious you could sit tight, train your weapon of choice on the door, call the cops, and wait for help. That way you don't get stuck trying to clear rooms. Even Soldiers don't clear buildings by themselves.
We have right now 3 small chihuahuas two outside and one right outside the bedroom in the guest bathroom I did hear the two outside but not the one inside so I thought no one would be by the door to our room.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm

I happen to really like Yeager. Period.

If someone grabs the muzzle of your weapon, shoot 'em. At least, that is what my instructor said. Just drop a little low (on your knees even) and shoot.

Having said that, I have cleared my appt a number of times. Sometimes for practice, sometimes because something seemed off, but no other signs of danger. I have cleared my appt. once when it was truly necessary. I came home and my door was open (about 1/2 inch gap). Looking back, I should have just called the cops. It turned out the people who sprayed for bugs did not fully shut my door after they left.

I have found that a pistol is great for checking closets, showers, and very tight hallways. Basically, tuck it up near your arm pit. Watch some you tube vids and practice.

Also, take a class in defensive pistol and a class in defensive shotgun. Take it from someone you trust and who has a good experienced background in this.

Be aware that having a loaded pistol is something you want to be careful around when you sleep. Maybe put it in a drawer or one of those quick open safes. Apparently, when you sleep, your body secretes a chemical that stops you from moving while dreaming, so you don't hurt yourself. Every now and then, that chemical does not work right and folks have grabbed their gun in their sleep and fired. I'd make sure a loaded gun was easy to get to, but not so easy you risk grabbing it in your sleep.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 pm

feedthedog wrote:To sidestep the question of firearms:

Good stuff!!
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Get a lock box so you can keep your gun loaded if you can mount a light on it do so if not dedicate a light that stays with it.

Your shotgun sounds to long for indoor use but your pistol if its 9 mm or larger will penetrate walls more the 00 buck.

Nothing wrong with staying in the bedroom and listening before charging out.
Beretta accept no substitute.

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:08 pm

I'd have called 911 - you do have a phone or your cell with you, right? - and taken up a defensive position in the bedroom. Holler: "I'VE CALLED 911. POLICE ARE COMING. I AM ARMED AND WILL SHOOT YOU IF YOU COME IN HERE! LEAVE THE PREMISES NOW!" If you leave the phone line open this will all be recorded by the dispatch. If you have to shoot, this will be positive evidence.
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the input everyone

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:11 pm

TrippyJoey wrote:So I was sleeping late after a very tiring day yesterday when my gf woke me up and whispered that she heard someone in the house. I didn't a wait to hear if what she heard was an actual intruder I rushed to the closet to where my shotgun and pistol case are. I took my pistol out loaded a magazine and racked a round in the chamber. I told my gf to stay in the room then I paused at the door and took a deep breath before opening the door and poking down the hallway with my pistol ready and safety off. Slowly and as quite as I could I went hitting every room done the hallway remembering what I knew regarding close quarters once I reached the living room I checked the door for signs of forced entry and nothing followed by the kitchen/garage door. After closer examination it just ended up being the dog that might have been poking around in the bathroom.

Why the hell was your pistol in the closet, unloaded?
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Viper shtf wrote:

I go to college and have to leave it at home with my gf who has no experience with firearms and often her aunt comes over with two small hyper active children since she lives a few door down.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 pm

TrippyJoey wrote:
Viper shtf wrote:

I go to college and have to leave it at home with my gf who has no experience with firearms and often her aunt comes over with two small hyper active children since she lives a few door down.
Good call, I'd do the same. But it would be better to pick up one of the cheap pistol lock boxes. Personally, I have a bunch of the gunvault brand lock boxes, but there are a ton of decent models. It won't keep Ghost Protocol Tom Cruise at bay, but it will keep kids out.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 pm

feedthedog wrote:
TrippyJoey wrote:
Viper shtf wrote:

Good call, I'd do the same. But it would be better to pick up one of the cheap pistol lock boxes. Personally, I have a bunch of the gunvault brand lock boxes, but there are a ton of decent models. It won't keep Ghost Protocol Tom Cruise at bay, but it will keep kids out.
It's a ammo box with a small 4 digit combination lock. Usually I can unlock it quickly in the dark but one of the numbers wasn't reset to 0 so it slowed me down in the low light.

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Maybe you should teach your gf to shoot? Just a thought.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Viper shtf wrote:Maybe you should teach your gf to shoot? Just a thought.
I'm in the process she got a full blowback co2 airsoft 1911 so she can practice at home

Return to “Survival Experiences”