used my first aid and other skills (not happy ending)

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

used my first aid and other skills (not happy ending)

Post by freenarative » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 pm

I would like to tell you a story. Alas, it doesn’t end happily BUT I have learned a few things about myself and I would like to share in the hope that you can learn from me.
*WARNING! This post contains some naughty words. Please do not be offended. They are quotes and are not said for emphasis… this actually happened to me.*

Last Friday I awoke to the sound of shouting at my neighbour’s door. It was a friend of my neighbour in clear distress. He was at odds and wasn’t sure what to do and at this point I wasn’t sure what was happening. He kept shouting “COME TO THE DOOR!”. To give you an idea of what I was seeing I shall tell you this; The gent in question is an ex oil rig worker and has served in the navy for decades before that. He has trained for disasters and should have been able to cope but because it was his friend he just dropped the ball.
I asked “what’s up?”
“ I think… I think she’s had a stroke…” came the stumbled reply.
Instantly my mind frame changed. I was no longer the happy go lucky man people know; I had become the man in charge. It was all business from this point on.
I placed my hand under his arm and bade him to stand. In no uncertain terms I told him “move!”
Guiding him to a position a few feet from the door I told him to call an ambulance. He calmed down at this point a little because, I think, he had something to do and knew that there was someone taking control of this situation.
While he was on the phone I looked at the front door. I knew the configuration because I had often been into the flat in the past for a cuppa and a chat. We were old school neighbours who looked out for each other.
I saw the yale lock about 4 ½ foot up the door frame; A few inches below that was a mortise lock and betwixt was a safety chain. This was going to be hard. I knew to kick between the two locks and as close to the door jam as I could manage but this is where my brain and my body had a falling out. My body cried out “you have two damaged knees, a damaged spine and are waiting for operations because of an old car accident you had! Wait for the professionals!”
My brain said “If she’s had a stroke then every second counts! We can deal with the pain later.”
That was it, the decision was made.
One THUD! A swift kick landed right on the lock,,, not good enough. I had only succeeded in movin the door a fraction of an inch.
Two THUD! Exactly the same place,,, Better but still closed.
Three BOOM! The door not only opened, but I had kicked it so hard that the yale lock was busted out of the door, the mortise lock had snapped the door jam in two and I had ripped the door from the two top hinges.
I bolted into the kitchen to find that my friend was in a state of undress and on the floor. Her friend was close behind me. I knew if she made it through that she’d want as little embarrassment as possible so I sent him to fetch a pillow and a blanket.
I covered her up and checked for signs of injury. Thankfully she had none. She must have simply stroked out and fallen down.
Placing her into a more comfortable position I checked her cognitive functions.
It wasn’t looking good.
I asked that her friend go next door to my house to get my girlfriend. Thankfully she has as much skill as I do in the first aid department because she works in the disabled sector with mentally handicapped adults. I’ll leave her skills to your imagination here to save you reading.
I went back to checking her cognition. She had no recall of her name, her family, date, year, house number or any other information that I asked for. She was paralysed down one side and when she was asked to use her inhaler she had no idea what it was and ended up holding it upside down and Back to front.
I hoped I would be wrong but I thought I knew where this was going.
Checking the time I could see that five minutes had elapsed so I confirmed with her friend that he had called for an ambulance and that the correct address was given.
Fifteen minutes had gone by. Time was ticking. We were still in the golden hour. Anticoagulants could still be given to help. Where was this damn bus?!
Thirty minutes later they arrived.
I gave a rundown to the paramedic while they took over. I detailed her personals, a sit-rep and medication she was on.
The next few minutes were a blur until I was needed again. “we need to lift her into the chair, can you help?”
“Sure.” I said.
One paramedic moved the pillow, one moved the duvet and I simply placed a hand under each arm and lifted her onto the stretcher.
They gawped at me for a second and then it came to me;
“Yeah, I’m a li’ll stronger than I look.” They were taken aback because I, alone, had lifted someone who should have taken three people to lift.
Again with the time blur.
Then I remember a carpenter coming to fix some locks. My missus had called them to close up after we left.
I then went about my day. I paid some bills, got some groceries and hassled my pets for a while when I got home. I sat down and cried for 3 hours because I was in so much physical pain. The agony of stoving in the door and lifting her up had finally caught me up.
Alas, less than 72 hours later I received some sad news. She had passed away peacefully in her sleep.

Conclusions.
So what have I learned from all this?
1) I am disabled (according to law and medicine) BUT if I need to my body is willing and able to ignore pain.
2) My body can AND will give me a power boost big enough a) kick a solid wooden front door clean off its hinges in a couple of kicks b) lift a full grown human bodily off the floor like as if they weren’t even there.
3) I can, and will, organise groups of people with enough conviction that they follow exactly what I say.
4) Even in a (quite frankly shi*ty) situation I can be cognisant enough to give clear and concise
instructions and details.
5) After cleaning up because the poop has hit the prop I can go from Mr macho to Mr every day in an instant.
6) Anyone can falter even if they are decades trainde for war.
7) I can still get my leg high enough into the air to behead a midget zombie if I need to.

For the future?
1) I need to update my first aid skills.
2) I need to get back to the gym! Come now! Three kicks to get through a wooden door with 3 locks? That is 2 more that I should have needed!
3) I need to keep a closer eye on my neighbours.
4) What do you guys think I missed? I am open to suggestions.
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

uncleben03

Re: used my first aid and other skills (not happy ending)

Post by uncleben03 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Sometimes all you can do, is all you can do. I'm not sure that in a situation like this, any further medical skills would have helped her. Time is absolutely critical in a cardiac situation. Perhaps getting your landlord (I assumed from the story that it's an apartment-type building) to flip for an AED installed in the hallway near the fire extinguisher might not be a bad idea. They're SUPER easy to use and DO save lives. That being said, if she was beating and breathing, it may not have helped.

It's sad that she ended up passing away, but rest assured you went WAY above and beyond what 95% of other people would do. Most people would just call 911 and say there's a burly man beating on their neighbor's door and leave it at that. Personally, as a fellow human being who looks out for his brothers and sisters in life, would like to thank you for doing what you did, whatever the outcome. We're all in this together.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

Post by 1776 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for sharing. I know you feel terrible about her passing but try to take comfort knowing that you did all you could. I think from every bad situation we can learn new lessons and new things about ourselves that we never knew we could be capable of, which you did. Heal up and I hope you feel better soon.
There's always some motherfucker trying to ice skate uphill...

ItsanSKS

Post by ItsanSKS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 pm

First, my condolences on the loss of your friend and neighbor.

From your description, it sounds as if you acted as was proper and necessary for the circumstances. Breaking down a door, especially a reinforced solid wood door, is not easy, don't matter who you are. That you were able to do so speaks more to the adrenalin in your system, than to the perceived weakness of the door.

Some considerations-
Other than getting someone else to call for medics, it doesn't sound as if you delegated much, and instead took this on as a 1-man team. The bigger guy probably would have done better with breaching the door; *always* use multiple people to lift someone- it may only require one person, but if you have more people, USE THEM. Safer for everyone involved. Maintain an open line of communication with the first responders if at all possible- a call that reports a *possible* stroke is different than one in which the caller clearly outlines the symptoms of a stroke. The 'golden hour' is tough to delineate, especially in this situation, because you don't know *when* it started; you may have been notified 15 minutes in, 10 minutes in, or 45 minutes in.

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Thank you for your kind words.
@ uncleben03 I was raised by my Grandmother who always said "what goes round cones round". Also I personally believe in karma. These two things usually spur me to do the right thing. Mainly because I hope if I'm in that situation that someone will come help me. I know logically that's not the case in these modern times but all it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.
Does this make sense?
@1776 Don't worry about me dude, the up side of being disabled in the UK is the huge amounts of opiate based pain killers that I get for free from the NHS. Take 1 sublingual liquid opiate painkiller when needed and talk to the pixies for hours later :D Don't get me wrong, I would rather have my new knees put in by the biological-mechanics and then be back at work. I'm a trained interpreter and it's annoying me that I cant get back to signing for the deaf. They're short of signers as it is :(
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

Return to “Survival Experiences”