Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
LivelyToaster
* * * *
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Dallas, Pa

Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:06 am

Jeriah wrote:Swords, though, are fucking awesome when drunk.
I'd be fine with that, so long as said sword swinging activity is in an entirely vacant room other then the self, and locked from the inside. However I think in this scenario I'd be explaining how John removed his favorite appendage to some paramedics.
Doc Torr wrote:I'd say make it known that anyone entering your house goes Con-3. If you (or they) are having more than a beer or two, then have them go Condition 4 or put the guns somewhere out of reach. "Alcohol makes me a smarter, more thoughtful person" said no one ever. I mean shit, that's your kids/wife/ I'm not even attached to anyone non-family, but but if someone won't go CND 3 on request in my house, we're about to have a very physical talk in the backyard.
Pretty much how I feel right now. Even got me paranoid a bit, before I put my glock in its bed time location I always Con 3, just in case the .000001% I happen to touch/move it in my sleep it won't go bang bang. But today I ran the slide back 5 times, visually and physically verifying it was clear each time, slapped the mag back in and tucked it in for bed.


"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

User avatar
Domindart
* *
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: any
Location: atl ga
Contact:

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Domindart » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:05 am

I totally agree , you should not allow people carrying in the house with kids around.
sig and a shotgun so far...

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by crypto » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:54 am

Phoenix David wrote:I'm amazed/disappointed on a daily basis how stupid/reckless people are when it comes to handling guns.

Personally if a friend did this at my house they would never be allowed over ever again.
Thats what everyone says until it happens to them.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
DarkAxel
* * * * *
Posts: 3856
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series
Location: Jackson, KY
Contact:

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:36 pm

The holes in the doors can be fixed without replacement, but having the guy buy two new interior doors is going to drive the message home a little better. Don't forget to charge him labor costs!
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8173
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:27 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:
Jeriah wrote:Swords, though, are fucking awesome when drunk.
I'd be fine with that, so long as said sword swinging activity is in an entirely vacant room other then the self, and locked from the inside. However I think in this scenario I'd be explaining how John removed his favorite appendage to some paramedics.
Doc Torr wrote:I'd say make it known that anyone entering your house goes Con-3. If you (or they) are having more than a beer or two, then have them go Condition 4 or put the guns somewhere out of reach. "Alcohol makes me a smarter, more thoughtful person" said no one ever. I mean shit, that's your kids/wife/ I'm not even attached to anyone non-family, but but if someone won't go CND 3 on request in my house, we're about to have a very physical talk in the backyard.
Pretty much how I feel right now. Even got me paranoid a bit, before I put my glock in its bed time location I always Con 3, just in case the .000001% I happen to touch/move it in my sleep it won't go bang bang. But today I ran the slide back 5 times, visually and physically verifying it was clear each time, slapped the mag back in and tucked it in for bed.


"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."
What struck in this story is that when the wife went over to her GFs house, she didn't take the kiddos with her.
If she had taken the kiddos out of the house, I would suggest you both see a professional - councilor. Since that didn't happen, you stand a better than average chance of getting back in her good graces sooner rather than later.

FWIW - sober wives + alcohol consuming friends is rarely a good combination. Add in weapons and it will almost never turn out as a good thing.

She may well forgive you - but if/when she will trust you again in the future is a bigger issue/question set. Once bruised, trust is a difficult thing to restore. Not knowing the parties involved, I don't know if a lifetime ban (to your house) will make a difference. I wish you luck, this event has put you in a difficult situation with your mate, and I hope you are all able to resolve this.

Bon Chance.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

kbilly84
* * * * *
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 am

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by kbilly84 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Just read this whole thread. Glad to hear no physical injuries occurred.

As far as teaching the kiddo about guns; this makes for one hell of a teaching opportunity: "remember when so-and-so shot the house? He was being stupid with a gun. You be SMART, son, that won't happen to you." Or something along those lines.

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Kommander » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:00 pm

I can't help but wonder how this would play out if the gender roles were reversed.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14227
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:08 pm

Kommander wrote:I can't help but wonder how this would play out if the gender roles were reversed.
That would be something. I have heard of dozens and dozens of cases of ND's (possibly hundreds). I only know of two females in all of them.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
LivelyToaster
* * * *
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Dallas, Pa

Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:17 pm

TacAir wrote:
What struck in this story is that when the wife went over to her GFs house, she didn't take the kiddos with her.
If she had taken the kiddos out of the house, I would suggest you both see a professional - councilor. Since that didn't happen, you stand a better than average chance of getting back in her good graces sooner rather than later.

FWIW - sober wives + alcohol consuming friends is rarely a good combination. Add in weapons and it will almost never turn out as a good thing.

She may well forgive you - but if/when she will trust you again in the future is a bigger issue/question set. Once bruised, trust is a difficult thing to restore. Not knowing the parties involved, I don't know if a lifetime ban (to your house) will make a difference. I wish you luck, this event has put you in a difficult situation with your mate, and I hope you are all able to resolve this.

Bon Chance.
We are ok. She is just pissed I did not have the foresight and did nothing to prevent it. So I'm a little in the doghouse. She'll forgive me soon enough. As for leaving the kids with me... She knows/trusts me with them more than anything, shit I was hit by a car once for Kaiden. Very slow moving car (may 15mph) albeit. Story for another time.



"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by duodecima » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:31 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:
TacAir wrote:
What struck in this story is that when the wife went over to her GFs house, she didn't take the kiddos with her.
If she had taken the kiddos out of the house, I would suggest you both see a professional - councilor. Since that didn't happen, you stand a better than average chance of getting back in her good graces sooner rather than later.

FWIW - sober wives + alcohol consuming friends is rarely a good combination. Add in weapons and it will almost never turn out as a good thing.

She may well forgive you - but if/when she will trust you again in the future is a bigger issue/question set. Once bruised, trust is a difficult thing to restore. Not knowing the parties involved, I don't know if a lifetime ban (to your house) will make a difference. I wish you luck, this event has put you in a difficult situation with your mate, and I hope you are all able to resolve this.

Bon Chance.
We are ok. She is just pissed I did not have the foresight and did nothing to prevent it. So I'm a little in the doghouse. She'll forgive me soon enough. As for leaving the kids with me... She knows/trusts me with them more than anything, shit I was hit by a car once for Kaiden. Very slow moving car (may 15mph) albeit. Story for another time.
I'm thinking mostly scared about what might have happened to her kids (or you!) and scared people frequently like to get angry at someone. I confess, I'd be totally freaking out if this had happened at my house with my husband and kids. I'd like to think I wouldn't be directly blaming my husband who didn't even know the guy was carrying. (Mind you, husband would still have to deal with me freaking out, so he wouldn't get off easy...) Now, if I thought my husband shouldn't have had friends over to drink, or had always thought these friends were sketchy/bad influences, that'd make things a whole lot worse. I have no idea what your wife thought of these guys before this happened, of course.

I'm glad nobody's hurt, and hope you guys get thru this well.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

User avatar
Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland
Location: KC, MO
Contact:

Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Whiskey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:05 pm

It's BS that she is blaming you for another's action. If you had all been playing with your firearms, it would be one thing. But he brought a CONCEALED firearm into your house. You didn't know.

Everyone is still alive, and now you can take steps to avoid it in the future.

You did nothing wrong. If it were me, I would have been far more defensive of my position of innocence. The fight would have gotten much worse. You did the right thing all around.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

User avatar
LivelyToaster
* * * *
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Dallas, Pa

Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Whiskey wrote:It's BS that she is blaming you for another's action. If you had all been playing with your firearms, it would be one thing. But he brought a CONCEALED firearm into your house. You didn't know.

Everyone is still alive, and now you can take steps to avoid it in the future.

You did nothing wrong. If it were me, I would have been far more defensive of my position of innocence. The fight would have gotten much worse. You did the right thing all around.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is one thing my wife can say its I play it straight and honest, and give her what she needs to know most first. When I told her the first sentence was "the kids are fine, and so is everyone else... But" and then I explained and finally added I had no idea.

A comedian I once heard said he decided with his wife he can either be right, or he can be happy. I took that and Since I'm just in mild waters I didn't feel a need for an aggressive defense to myself and chose to be happy.

The characters. John is indeed and always has been just that, a character. Funny decent guy. Not a bad influence but periodically does something retarded. Always been like that. This is the first retarded incident he had that was life threatening.

Robbie, kinda just your "average joe" but also happened to join the military. Smart, sensible, and sat there and stared and listened just like I did when we were in trouble. She has seen/met them on three separate occasions and never expressed issues, nor has she ever had any until today. Point and case? Robbie is still allowed to camp out in the guest room for the duration of his leave if he decides to. John, well not really allowed in the house now after repairs. Nor is he staying here.


"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Bearcat » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

I think you should write that guy off completely for his ignorance. What would you have done had the bullet struck one of your children or wife? I will tell you that you wouldn't be making excuses for him by saying things like "he's never done anything like this before" or "he's going back from leave soon". At the very least he would not be invited back to my residence ever.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
Power Fail
* * *
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Power Fail » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Domindart wrote:I totally agree , you should not allow people carrying in the house with kids around.
That's everyone's call to make in their own home, of course, but do you mean while drinking or period?
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

ArmchairRacer
* * *
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by ArmchairRacer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
Kommander wrote:I can't help but wonder how this would play out if the gender roles were reversed.
That would be something. I have heard of dozens and dozens of cases of ND's (possibly hundreds). I only know of two females in all of them.
My aunt had a ND the first time she ever held a gun, this was after she had just had a 30 minute lecture on gun safety. She's never owned or fired a gun since, incidentally, the family china cabinet has a .22 sized hole in it :crazy:

User avatar
Silent Kube
* * * * *
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of Romero's work, Shaun Of The Dead, Pretty much anything that keeps the reason for the outbreak somewhat vague.
Location: Rapid City, SD
Contact:

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Silent Kube » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:34 pm

I have nothing productive to add to this thread that hasn't already been said but I just wanted to say, it's amazing how much less I drink since I've started carrying.

Also, good idea not hiding it from the wife. If sitcoms have taught us anything it's that trying to hide the stupid shit we do from them only leaves to much worse trouble than we would have been in if we had just been straight up. :lol:
If you're going through hell; keep going... ~Winston Churchill

Forgive your enemies. But remember their names.

Non semper erit aestas
Jeriah wrote:I think we're all pretty much just bullshitting here, which is what the Internet is for. Besides porn.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14227
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 pm

ArmchairRacer wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:
Kommander wrote:I can't help but wonder how this would play out if the gender roles were reversed.
That would be something. I have heard of dozens and dozens of cases of ND's (possibly hundreds). I only know of two females in all of them.
My aunt had a ND the first time she ever held a gun, this was after she had just had a 30 minute lecture on gun safety. She's never owned or fired a gun since, incidentally, the family china cabinet has a .22 sized hole in it :crazy:
Both the NDs that I now of were LT's. One "Cleared her M9" in the barrel and pulled the trigger. She found it hilarious when it went off. The other one was turning hers in before going on leave and cooked one off in the arms room. She got in a bit of trouble.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3110
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:28 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man
Location: Glendale, Az

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Phoenix David » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
Kommander wrote:I can't help but wonder how this would play out if the gender roles were reversed.
That would be something. I have heard of dozens and dozens of cases of ND's (possibly hundreds). I only know of two females in all of them.
Of the three that I have seen, 2 were males and 1 was female, I will grant that hers was the most spectacular of the bunch, three rounds from a M-16/M203 into the ceiling during a function test, kind of missed the first part about taking the magazine out. :shock:
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Tperkins » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Silent Kube wrote:I have nothing productive to add to this thread that hasn't already been said but I just wanted to say, it's amazing how much less I drink since I've started carrying.

Also, good idea not hiding it from the wife. If sitcoms have taught us anything it's that trying to hide the stupid shit we do from them only leaves to much worse trouble than we would have been in if we had just been straight up. :lol:
I stopped drinking as much once I became an EMT. I feel too responsible now, and I'm sure that would even double if I was old enough to CCW. Responsibility comes before having fun, and that's one of the rules of life it seems.

On Topic: Glad this turned out like it did, with no injuries or anything. To play devil's advocate, it really could of happened drunk or sober. Belt holsters and using toliets don't mix, and sometimes shit happens (of the ND kind). Although I don't carry, if I did, I would probably lean towards taking my peice from the holster and setting it down on the counter just to be sure I don't accidently fumble around with it. I'd like to think that once a reasonable person has an ND, they don't have another. Maybe that will be the case in this instance.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

User avatar
LivelyToaster
* * * *
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Dallas, Pa

Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by LivelyToaster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 am

Tperkins wrote:
Silent Kube wrote:I have nothing productive to add to this thread that hasn't already been said but I just wanted to say, it's amazing how much less I drink since I've started carrying.

Also, good idea not hiding it from the wife. If sitcoms have taught us anything it's that trying to hide the stupid shit we do from them only leaves to much worse trouble than we would have been in if we had just been straight up. :lol:
I stopped drinking as much once I became an EMT. I feel too responsible now, and I'm sure that would even double if I was old enough to CCW. Responsibility comes before having fun, and that's one of the rules of life it seems.

On Topic: Glad this turned out like it did, with no injuries or anything. To play devil's advocate, it really could of happened drunk or sober. Belt holsters and using toliets don't mix, and sometimes shit happens (of the ND kind). Although I don't carry, if I did, I would probably lean towards taking my peice from the holster and setting it down on the counter just to be sure I don't accidently fumble around with it. I'd like to think that once a reasonable person has an ND, they don't have another. Maybe that will be the case in this instance.
Good possibility. It wasn't even my ND and I've been extra cautious as of late. Anyway, doors are replaced. I'm still fiddling with the .45 caliber hole in my bedroom. Trying to figure out where the hell the bullet is. It didn't leave the house but I also can't see it stuck in the innards wall. Thinking it fell down after it hit? *Shrug* I'm not even really sure why I want to find it.


"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

User avatar
Artiz
* * *
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Artiz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:59 pm

I've been in a smilar situation (without "bullet" in front of "hole") and the hole was "quickdry" plastered and painted in less than an hour. :lol:

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14227
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Phoenix David wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:
Kommander wrote:I can't help but wonder how this would play out if the gender roles were reversed.
That would be something. I have heard of dozens and dozens of cases of ND's (possibly hundreds). I only know of two females in all of them.
Of the three that I have seen, 2 were males and 1 was female, I will grant that hers was the most spectacular of the bunch, three rounds from a M-16/M203 into the ceiling during a function test, kind of missed the first part about taking the magazine out. :shock:
Good thing she was not testing the 203....
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

AeroNautiCal
* *
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: Stoke Newington, London, UK.

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by AeroNautiCal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:21 pm

That your friend would recklessly, negligently discharge a lethal weapon in your home, whilst your children were present, proves that he simply cannot be trusted in such an environment!

If you value someone that would do this over the lives of your children, wife, self, then allow him back into your house.

I would cut that person out of my life like a cancer.
http://www.alpackaraft.com
  • Alpacka Raft: The Bug Out Packrafts!

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by JTNieman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 pm

AeroNautiCal wrote:That your friend would recklessly, negligently discharge a lethal weapon in your home, whilst your children were present, proves that he simply cannot be trusted in such an environment!

If you value someone that would do this over the lives of your children, wife, self, then allow him back into your house.

I would cut that person out of my life like a cancer.
I had a guy knock a hammer off the top of a ladder I was standing next to and it almost hit me. Happened when I was in 4th grade and my parents were building a new home. The guy was a good 30 foot up, hammer vinyl siding to the wall. That hammer coulda killed me if it hit my noggin.

He's still a good friend of the family and helped me through life many times, and we've spent a great many weekends together. I killed my first deer on his property.

Accidents happen. Different accidents require a different level of admonishment, and discussion, but accidents happen. Negligence is not a rare thing.

Post Reply

Return to “Survival Experiences”