Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Before I begin I'd like to say, I am stuck to "switched on" for probably for the rest of the day, as I was horrified for the safety of my kids that were in the home....

So the day goes as any other, two of my old military buds were on leave and had decided to stop by. We were talking and having a good time as we used to. I had allowed John and Robbie to drink whilst I stayed sober, I did not trust drunk me to take care of the 7mo old baby.Then John decides its time to use the bathroom. Now for whatever reason unknown to me he was apparently fiddling with his gun while on the can, and somehow accidentally pulled the trigger. Me not having a clue as to what just happened all I know, gunshot in the house upstairs. Begin methodically clearing for the base of the stairs up. Then I see the hole about 3ft up in the door into mine and the wife's bedroom. So I look right and see a hole blasted through the bathroom.

Make my way to the bathroom door and it suddenly is flung open, at this point I have no clue what happened. But the end result was me standing there with my gun holstered his gun in my hand, his magazine on the floor as well as the chambered round.

The bullet had went through the bathroom door, down the hall, into the bedroom door and hit its final resting place in the wall that would have led it outside. Thankfully it appeared to hit a strut or stud I may or may not post photos. Depends how dead I am when the wife finds out... Needless to say... John is now required to clear his gun before entering my home should he ever come back. And then I'm clearing it.

No one was hurt, yet. And he has already volunteered to fix and pay for his damages. I'm pretty sure I'm still dead when the boss comes home. Now that my 4 year old and 7mo old are effectively calmed down. The wife is nearly home, it's time to sit on the couch and wait for doom. As I am decidedly pissed off at John, I still fear the wrath of mama bear...

EDIT: Sidenote... I had no clue John was carrying. Probably should have known better/asked.

"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."
Last edited by LivelyToaster on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Re: Friends Accidental Discharge in my Home... Sigh

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:36 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:Before I begin I'd like to say, I am stuck to "switched on" for probably for the rest of the day, as I was horrified for the safety of my kids that were in the home....

So the day goes as any other, two of my old military buds were on leave and had decided to stop by. We were talking and having a good time as we used to. I had allowed John and Robbie to drink whilst I stayed sober, I did not trust drunk me to take care of the 7mo old baby.Then John decides its time to use the bathroom. Now for whatever reason unknown to me he was apparently fiddling with his gun while on the can, and somehow accidentally pulled the trigger. Me not having a clue as to what just happened all I know, gunshot in the house upstairs. Begin methodically clearing for the base of the stairs up. Then I see the hole about 3ft up in the wall into mine and the wife's bedroom. So I look right and see a hole blasted through the bathroom.

Make my way to the bathroom door and it suddenly is flung open, at this point I have no clue what happened. But the end result was me standing there with my gun holstered his gun in my hand, his magazine on the floor as well as the chambered round.

The bullet had went through the bathroom door, down the hall, into the bedroom door and hit its final resting place in the wall that would have led it outside. Thankfully it appeared to hit a strut or stud I may or may not post photos. Depends how dead I am when the wife finds out... Needless to say... John is now required to clear his gun before entering my home should he ever come back. And then I'm clearing it.

No one was hurt, yet. And he has already volunteered to fix and pay for his damages. I'm pretty sure I'm still dead when the boss comes home. Now that my 4 year old and 7mo old are effectively calmed down. The wife is nearly home, it's time to sit on the couch and wait for doom. As I am decidedly pissed off at John, I still fear the wrath of mama bear...

EDIT: Sidenote... I had no clue John was carrying. Probably should have known better/asked.

"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."
Were it me: "Holy shit, dude what the hell did you eat?"

Seriously though glad no one was hurt.

Advice: Find I friend not so stupid as to play with his gun and his pecker at the same time.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Drinking and guns? That was an awesome idea!

Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Braxton wrote:Drinking and guns? That was an awesome idea!

Like I said... Hadn't a clue he was carrying. And as the previous poster said, I agree. John is a god damned moron... I think my adrenaline firing up was party because I didn't know he had a gun on him. And knowing I have them in the house, but all locked up. So... Yeah. Just heard the wife pull in.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:55 pm

LivelyToaster wrote: Like I said... Hadn't a clue he was carrying. And as the previous poster said, I agree. John is a god damned moron... I think my adrenaline firing up was party because I didn't know he had a gun on him. And knowing I have them in the house, but all locked up. So... Yeah. Just heard the wife pull in.

Hmmm... he didn't tell you he was carrying? In SC I'm pretty sure that's the law when carrying and entering a homeowner's property, not sure if it's the same where you live.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:56 pm

U

R

Don't be surprised if your bud is banned. And I wouldn't blame her.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

nc77089

Post by nc77089 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Does he have a CCW permit? If so in most states its a felony to consume alcohol while carrying. Let alone why he though it was good idea while on the throne.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Blame it on a micro meteor.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:43 pm

It's a felony to be drunk and in posession of a deadly weapon in this state (which includes guns knives, etc) , but not to consume alcohol.

That doesn't mean its not universally a bad idea, though.

As far fiddling with a CCW on the can, it happens. If you're taking a shit with a gun in a leather slide holster, it can't be avoided. The gun will fall out of the holster without belt tension on it when it goes on the floor with your pants around your ankles.

Can you patch up the walls?

EDIT: So his buddy didnt tell him he was carrying, and maybe the law requires it there. I doubt hes going to press charges against his friend. I dont think that's a productive line of discussion. His pal made a series of bad choices, and fortunately no one was hurt.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:51 pm

My policy has been that everyone either unholsters (guns go in a separate room) or goes Cond 3 when drinking. This has been especially reinforced since the incident two weeks ago at a buddy's house when a drunk boot ND'd a .270 into an infants room (no injuries.)

Sent via Neural Net Uplink
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Doc Torr wrote:My policy has been that everyone either unholsters (guns go in a separate room) or goes Cond 3 when drinking. This has been especially reinforced since the incident two weeks ago at a buddy's house when a drunk boot ND'd a .270 into an infants room (no injuries.)

Sent via Neural Net Uplink
That is it. I am never going to party with anyone in this thread.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Another good reminder to keep your head screwed on at all times when guns are around.

People who work with guns a lot, have a high rate of unintentional discharges. Complacency sets in, and shit happens. Cops and military guys fall into that category, even the instructors and high speed guys. I know men that have had them, that if you looked at their qualifications, you'd think it was impossible. That's why I always suggest humility when it comes to other's AD's.

You'd be surprised at some of the well known gun experts that have had them, including one very famous instructor that had one while I was next to him.

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Time to Answer a few things.

1. I have lived in several different states. Born and raised in Florida, turned 18 joined the military. While I was in the military the parents decided to move to Pennsylvania because they were to old for the hot weather. Was stationed at Lackland Airbase San Antonio Texas, did my deployment and got out a few years later. Visited Nevada for a year, then ended up moving to Dallas Pennsylvania (a little in the boonies but not nearly as far out as the parents are. Houses here are about 8 in a mile.) as well to have the kid(s) close to the parents. (Grandma and Grandpa were not happy about flying across the country to see the kid(s) for a few days everyone couple months.) With all the said, in Pennsylvania you can carry in bars...

2. Like I said, I had no idea he was carrying, I actually never looked to see if he did have to tell me/ask if he can bring in his CCW (According to him his permit is honored here but neglected to say what state its from) I've always done it out of respect. Always informed home owner/renter of where I was visiting if they wanted me to leave it in the car. I only had my gun on me and holstered cause (I do carry all the time) I had a 7mo to take care of and was not partaking in drinking. If I'm drinking, I toss her in the safe, and only drink at home. (Not surprising that if you google accidental discharge in bars in pennsylvania, you get some hits on it.)

3. WOW... I have absolutely no words of what to say. Like some other husbands, I have done my share of stupid things that end in the pissed off wife scenario. But never before have I seen her so pissed. After the three of us had been bitched out as equally responsible for the accident for nearly an hour she huffed of to a friends. Myself playing my smart card, did nothing other then nod my head agreeing and said nothing to her but I Love You as she walked out, in which she replied the same. (If I said I'm sorry I would probably be her car's new hood ornament.) I honestly do agree with everything she said and support her decision of, John is to go to a friend's house or wherever else for the night until he sobers up tomorrow.Then he is to come and fix his damages. I have the spackle and paint so we're good there. Unfortunately he has to buy two new doors... after such he is banned from our residence for the time being, and if he is ever allowed back no weapons on him period. Which I honestly do agree with.

4. I still have no clue WHAT happened during most of the yelling other then me nodding. My ears are still ringing, John got slapped a few times.I'm 26 years old and I think my wife just grounded me. So, until things blow over I think I'm going to be sharing the couch with Buddy (my black lab) voluntarily.

5. We aren't taking any legal actions. He agreed that he'll fix and pay for everything, though drunk. Not blackout drunk though, may need a reminder, shrug. We're far enough out that it didn't alarm anyone other then the two immediate neighbors (who called I can't even remember what I told them, I was too busy running around the house checking on the kids) Irony? My forum handle is LivelyToaster and I'm pretty damn sure I just got toasted. Possibly buttered too.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:39 pm

So I guess we weren't talking about a guy that had 2 Bud Lights.

If he got too drunk to drive but was still carrying, I do think you better cut the ties with him.

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:04 pm

400 Grains wrote:So I guess we weren't talking about a guy that had 2 Bud Lights.

If he got too drunk to drive but was still carrying, I do think you better cut the ties with him.
I dunno how drunk or sober he really was. He can drink a lot before actually getting buzzed.

He is on leave, so he won't be around much longer. I've known the guy a long time never did anything like this before. While he's had his share of stupid moments, and I'm pretty damn sure he's too terrified of my wife right now to come around here ever again. I'm pissed off about what happened, we'll be taking care of that tomorrow during the car ride, and trip to Lowe's. I'm just glad my kids are alright. Of coarse Kaiden (my 4 year old) won't stop asking me what happened. I'm not sure what to tell him I recently just started teaching him about how guns are not toys and so on and so forth a few months ago. I'm pretty sure he understands how dangerous they are and I don't want to scare him by saying John accidentally fired his off in the house. (which what I think happened was it may have fell out of the holster and when he went to pick it up being he grabbed it and pulled the trigger. He was pretty dumb struck over it himself and kept saying he doesn't know.) I just told our boy to behave and try his hardest not to anger mommy for a few days at least. She's definitely in an unleash the rage mood over this. I'm STILL not sure if I'm actually in trouble or not. Don't intend to push to find out either, just see what happens when she comes home from her girlfriend's house. I'm still trying to "switch off" always had that problem, when the adrenaline starts running it runs and runs and runs.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:14 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:I had a 7mo to take care of and was not partaking in drinking. If I'm drinking, I toss her in the safe, and only drink at home.
Father of the Year. :lol:

Re: the wife, couldn't you have just hung a photo or something over the holes til they got fixed? (Sort of kidding. So, very dark blue text.)

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Wow. You got lucky. Now, take a deep breath, and start working on the take away from this:

Booze and guns, while a lot of fun, is not safe.

Situational awareness is important, even at home.

You got lucky. Accept that, learn from it, and (hopefully) move on.

Glad to hear nobody got hurt.

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:24 pm

Your friend is a dumbass. Glad your kids are OK. I'm glad your wife slapped him to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Jeriah wrote:
LivelyToaster wrote:I had a 7mo to take care of and was not partaking in drinking. If I'm drinking, I toss her in the safe, and only drink at home.

Re: the wife, couldn't you have just hung a photo or something over the holes til they got fixed? (Sort of kidding. So, very dark blue text.)
Sorry, my mind is all over the place. Had not thought it sounded like I stuffed the kid in the safe. :lol:
Is what it is now I guess.

As for hiding things from the wife... probably a worse idea then John drinking with his gun on to be honest.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:31 am

LivelyToaster wrote:
Jeriah wrote:

Sorry, my mind is all over the place. Had not thought it sounded like I stuffed the kid in the safe. :lol:
Is what it is now I guess.

As for hiding things from the wife... probably a worse idea then John drinking with his gun on to be honest.
Yeah, I play it straight with the wife too. Better to get the shitstorm over with ASAP, I figure.

So, you're in the doghouse for a bit, then?

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 am

Jeriah wrote:So, you're in the doghouse for a bit, then?
I'm confused. She came home about 30 minutes ago. Checked on the kids and then went to bed, locking the door behind her.

I think I'm sort of in trouble, more or less for just being the one that allowed him in when they just showed up and never went hey my old military pal might be carrying, I should ask before allowing him access to the alcohol. But on the other hand Robbie doesn't even own a gun. We use'm yeah, but not all cops and military are gun guys.

So, looks like its me and the dog sleeping on the couch tonight.

For now, maybe for good, in the rarity that I have people over being a dad and busy with everything else too, I'm not allowing anyone in my house with chambered weapons other then me, my wife, and my brother. I understand not wanting to leave it in the car, so I guess I'll just be having any packing guests "de pipe" the round or unload if its a revolver and then place it in my safe until their departure. I've never had an issue with it before, but now the reality of someone doing something stupid with their gun in my house is here, I gotta make sure the kids will be ok.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:18 am

I'd say make it known that anyone entering your house goes Con-3. If you (or they) are having more than a beer or two, then have them go Condition 4 or put the guns somewhere out of reach. "Alcohol makes me a smarter, more thoughtful person" said no one ever. I mean shit, that's your kids/wife/ I'm not even attached to anyone non-family, but but if someone won't go CND 3 on request in my house, we're about to have a very physical talk in the backyard.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:20 am

I'm amazed/disappointed on a daily basis how stupid/reckless people are when it comes to handling guns.

Personally if a friend did this at my house they would never be allowed over ever again.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:33 am

I've had like a dozen rum and cokes by now, so I'm going to fess up, I've gotten shitfaced and played with guns plenty of times before, but I always, ALWAYS, cleared 'em like five or six times before doing so. And, even so, now that I'm more mature, guns go all lockey-lockey before I go all drinkey-drinkey.

Swords, though, are fucking awesome when drunk.

Return to “Survival Experiences”