"Interesting" occurance at the bus station

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mrbeefy
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of 'em :-)

Re: "Interesting" occurance at the bus station

Post by Mrbeefy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 am

Mrbeefy wrote:Size 15 boot to chest - keeps the crazies away. :clap:
^ My sad attempt at humor. Appearently I fail. :crazy:
Last edited by Mrbeefy on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfhvnter wrote: RAZORD SHARP SNAKE MEAT LASER!!?!?!?!!

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I'm surprised you still have your wallet or other valueable. That was a classic attempt to get your attention while an accomplice goes for your wallet or what ever. Do you recall if anyone was bumping into you from behind? Anyone walk past you from behind?

Let see high traffic area like a bus station, easy crowd to blend into, lots of coming and going, people entering and leaving the area. Young guys with potentially high value items. Yeah... :|
That's a negatory. The station was pretty empty at that time in the morning, so it would have been pretty easy for me to notice someone bumping into me or trying to get really close. But that's a very good point, though. It's a lot busier later in the afternoon when I leave for home, so I'll be on the lookout for that in the future.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am

Braxton wrote:One of these days I am gonna make simple guide on how to deal with Peebums and Crazy people that bug you.

In fact I am gonna do it now.

Step one.. Look them in the eye and tell them to FUCK OFF in a loud and commanding voice.

Step two.. I have never had step one fail so I have not gotten around to step two yet.

PS. This also works on sales people.
People who aren't built like angry refrigerators may have to modify Braxton's methods. ;)
A lot of crazy folks are starved for social interaction. If you don't give them that, they tend to go looking for it. If you give it to them, they stay there. I mean, think about it: if your day consisted of wandering around peeing on yourself and being chased by whatever chases pee bums, talking to some stranger about your monkey power would probably be the highlight of your day. :?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:51 am

Very interesting stuff. I actually have incorporated a lot of this in what I do, but some of it was new.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:00 pm

"Put a big fook-off fence around it." :clap:
Mostly not here anymore.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:"Could you stay back, please"
"Stay back"
"BACK UP"
"BACK THE FUCK UP"

You can escalate that as quickly as needed depending on their pacing; you can't let someone get grabbing close.

Two other things to keep in mind. They will try to get you involved mentally in their banter; that's distracting and makes it easier to surprise you. Secondly; watch your six. FBI stats say criminals almost always have a buddy. While crazy dude keeps you occupied the other dude drops the hammer.

edit: any decent person with a legit reason will stay back when you insist on it. You can then listen to them and decide what to do. What you can not do is let them get in for an assault.
First I start with what Dogbane said: "Sorry, I can't help you." Then I go to what Phil said.

ETA: And to support what Jamoni said, do not give anyone a window to engage you verbally if you do not want to engage anyone verbally.

X: "Hey, do you have a cigarette?"
You: "Sorry, I cannot help you."
X: "So, you don't smoke?"
You: "Step back from me and do not talk to me please."

as opposed to (unless you actually want to converse with them)

X: "Hey, do you have a cigarette?"
You: "I don't smoke."
X: "That's good for you. I would not start then. Or did you quit?"
You: "Nope, I never started. My Father smoked though."
X: "Oh? Are you from around here?"
yadda yadda yadda

I tell people to not do that all the time. Do not engage. Be polite, firm, and tell them you do not want to talk to them or have them near you. It's like when I bounced. When the cops came they'd always ask if it was made clear that the principle that got thrown out was asked to "LEAVE" the property. Be clear:
"Sir, you have to leave this property right now. I am asking you to leave this property immediately. Do you understand me?"
"I am ejecting you from this private property. You cannot come back. Do you understand me?"

Same thing when interacting with strangers at a bus stop.
"I cannot help you. Please back away from me. I do not want to talk to you."
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I'm surprised you still have your wallet or other valueable. That was a classic attempt to get your attention while an accomplice goes for your wallet or what ever. Do you recall if anyone was bumping into you from behind? Anyone walk past you from behind?

Let see high traffic area like a bus station, easy crowd to blend into, lots of coming and going, people entering and leaving the area. Young guys with potentially high value items. Yeah... :|
People around here don't operate on such a fancy system. They just demand that you "lend" them your phone, then if you don't they immediately attack you themselves. They don't bother with accomplices and sneaky tactics here. I've had it happen to me already... Normally I will never admit that I even own a phone, but sometimes they catch you using it and jump on that.

Neither talking polite nor forceful phases anyone around here as all they they know is physical confrontation. This is a town of savages. The police deal with all situations the same way, fists first and no talking. It's no wonder the crooks show the same behavior.
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

SneakyG

Post by SneakyG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Neddog wrote:
People around here don't operate on such a fancy system. They just demand that you "lend" them your phone, then if you don't they immediately attack you themselves. They don't bother with accomplices and sneaky tactics here. I've had it happen to me already... Normally I will never admit that I even own a phone, but sometimes they catch you using it and jump on that.

Neither talking polite nor forceful phases anyone around here as all they they know is physical confrontation. This is a town of savages. The police deal with all situations the same way, fists first and no talking. It's no wonder the crooks show the same behavior.

This man speaks the truth. Edmonton is the biggest POS city i have ever been in. I've probably been there 10 times in the past 10 years and every time i have witnessed a violent crime occur. Including my friend getting jumped by a lebanese gang in a church parking lot.

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Lots of great points here, guys. Thanks a ton.

Tactical furry.

Artiz

Post by Artiz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Happens once every two weeks.

Bus/bus stations are weirdo magnets.

raxar

Post by raxar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm

http://northamericanarms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Noodlez

Post by Noodlez » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 pm

I think the only thing you dropped the ball on was not looking at the people behind you. i had a similar experience in the great city of Detroit ,i was born and raised in Jackson, which isn't too far. Anyways, some crazy guy prattled on about how the government lies to us blah blah blah, and the guy standing behind me (i was in a liquor store) got in my pocket and ripped off my wallet. Clever trick, but the cashier noticed and pulled a gun on the guy. Long story short, after the cops left, i got my wallet back and a hard life lesson. Constant vigilance, while one hands waving around, the others stabbing you in the back brother.Stay alert
-Noodlez

Noodlez

Post by Noodlez » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 pm

didn't read all the post.... so i made an example lol
-Noodlez

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Artiz wrote:Happens once every two weeks.

Bus/bus stations are weirdo magnets.

Gonna say the same thing about some areas we go to, usually crazies looking for a handout or a larger handout, arived at by a tad of intimidation.

What has worked every time, for me, is a hand up (in that way you tell a dog to stay down) and just a firm- "Sorry, can't help you buddy." then turn back toward whoever I'm with (obviously still keeping an eye on surroundings)... I'm sure it helps being 6'-1" 250 & having a couple of nice facial scars (not from fights, but they look like it :lol: )... I guess really it might not work at all if the crazy is the same size as me, just doesn't ever seem to happen... Oh well.

Anyway, sounds like you did ok, except for, as others have said, engage them LESS not more, if possible.

Zoombee

Post by Zoombee » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:24 am

This thread applies to kids at school, such as when people are begging/harassing for lunch money. I never had money to lend or give then, so I did not practice or develop any tactics for such a problem until years later at bus stops and other places in Detroit. Before learning Do Not Engage, Fuck Off, etc., my reply was usually something like "If I had money I wouldn't be walking." However, I have needed to borrow a cellphone, since I did not know payphones don't exist here anymore. I'll rant about the necessity of owning a cellphone in some other thread.
My scapegoat ate my homework.

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

"Interesting" occurance at the bus station

Post by LivelyToaster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:52 am

Once I venture out of Dallas I land in some pretty shitty neighbourhoods. I've had people walk up to my car and bother me when stopped in traffic, if the window was down. This is why I leave 5ft in front of me when stopped at a light or something and try to leave the windows up... When on foot I channel my best 'don't fuck with me aura'. In the event of crazies I refer to the politely fuck off manual, in the event this fails I refer to the directly fuck off manual.

If all else fails then I casually scratch my nose with my left hand and leave it up high. Then my right hand gets ready to do about 3000 different things depending on how the situation goes.

"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

Maricely

Post by Maricely » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:04 am

Seems to me you already know what area you need to work on, which is just flat out saying "No".

Some people mentioned that you could've said that you don't have a phone and I think that response would work if you were talking to a rational person, which this guy clearly wasn't. My college allowed pepper spray, you should look into that.

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

I actually saw some sabre red on sale t Cabelas the other dayً, I might pick some up.

Tactical furry.

kika21

Post by kika21 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 am

My answer would be "Sorry, someone STOLE my cell phone and since I'm in contract, I can't afford a new one"

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:24 am

I was in Panama City, Panama five years ago when I had a nice young Panamanian gentleman walk past me. He turned abruptly and started walking backwards in front of me and started jibbering in Spanish. He had a very distinctive "666" tattooed between his eyes and as he walked backwards in front of me, kept trying to touch me, in an attempt to get me to stop walking. (Obviously as a distraction tactic.)

I felt someone approaching me from behind. I threw an elbow at the guy behind me and dropped him. I then threw a right-cross at Mr. "666" and dropped him too.

The locals started applauding and laughing.

I continued to McDonalds for a Big Mac, fries and a delicious, refreshing chocolate shake.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:37 am

I've had plenty of random encounters like this over the years, and I've dealt with it in a multitude of ways. Usually with a verbal "can't help you buddy". Sometimes with an overexagerated shrug and I just keep walking. Once in awhile a crazy will come up to me when I'm drunk and walking around downtown. I happen to be a very loud, fast talking, and jolly as shit drunk... I'm also about 6ft, 250lbs. I've had a crazy guy, or random cig dude come up to me, and I start rambling and raving and going off on random tangents about whatever. They then slowly back away from me... lol.

One of my favorite ways of dealing with them is compleltly ignoring them, until they are almost directly in eye view. Then I look surprised, and I happen to know enough sign language to be convincing. I start signing and such and a lot of times they tend to wander away because of communication breakdowns.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Ansgar

Post by Ansgar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 pm

ODA 226 wrote:
I was in Panama City, Panama five years ago when I had a nice young Panamanian gentleman walk past me. He turned abruptly and started walking backwards in front of me and started jibbering in Spanish. He had a very distinctive "666" tattooed between his eyes and as he walked backwards in front of me, kept trying to touch me, in an attempt to get me to stop walking. (Obviously as a distraction tactic.)

I felt someone approaching me from behind. I threw an elbow at the guy behind me and dropped him. I then threw a right-cross at Mr. "666" and dropped him too.

The locals started applauding and laughing.

I continued to McDonalds for a Big Mac, fries and a delicious, refreshing chocolate shake.
Moral of the story: Never get between a man and his milkshake...

Tactical_Havik

Post by Tactical_Havik » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:09 am

I've gone from "back up" to get your ass back" to all out "Move before i smash your fuckin' face in" i'm also not exactly a small person. some people need to learn when to move. in Atlanta/riverdale GA people can be real pushy until you get there.
"If you can't get it done with 10 rounds of 45 you dont need more ammo you need air support."
XD "Maxine"
MP15 "Clarice"

Miss Nothing
Favorite Zombie Movies: The list is quite long, when I decide to not be so lazy, I'll put a list up.

Post by Miss Nothing » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

In my honest opinion...I don't understand what the big deal is. The dude just asked to use your phone. I mean sure, he may have been a little strange but a simple "sorry I can't help you" works just fine. Don't listen to the people suggesting to swear at the person, or yell at them, or be aggressive. If you are aggressive then THAT'S when you have an actual problem on your hands. You don't know the person, so you need to remember people can be capable of anything. If they're already strange and acting off in the first place, the last thing you want to do is go "FUCK OFF, GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!". I think you handled it fine but I mean...it's just a person asking to use a phone. It's not like someone came up to you and said "Hey asshole give me your fucking phone right now or I'll beat your ass", you know? The only thing I would say you could try doing next time is suggesting he find a payphone or something if his situation is THAT important. Anywho that's just my opinion.

Cheers
Scream and I'll kill you...

Return to “Survival Experiences”