Flash Mob & Rob of a WalMart

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JustInCase

Flash Mob & Rob of a WalMart

Post by JustInCase » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:49 am

So if you were in this Wal-Mart and this happened what would you do?

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Flash-mob- ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Flash Mob & Rob of a WalMart

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:01 am

JustInCase wrote:So if you were in this Wal-Mart and this happened what would you do?

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Flash-mob- ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep calm and GTFO of the store.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 am

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/s ... -flash-mob" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/m ... flash-mobs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 am

Keep head down, take video, pics with cell, turn in memory card to the police.

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:22 am

KentsOkay wrote:
JustInCase wrote:So if you were in this Wal-Mart and this happened what would you do?

Since they were mob & robbing at the main enterence, would you get out through one of the emergency exit / fire doors? (This is assuming that this Wal-Mart is not in a mall setting.) What if you found that once you had exited through said emergency door, that there was a group of teens say 10 or 12 waiting for you?
Strength and Honor!

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:22 am

Great links thank you!
Strength and Honor!

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:23 am

Tater Raider wrote:Keep head down, take video, pics with cell, turn in memory card to the police.
What if a group of the teens spotted you taking video and tried to surround you to get your recording device?
Strength and Honor!

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:41 am

Walk away as quick as possible with out drawing attention, if you are assaulted then defend yourself. If I am ever in this situation and find myself in fear for my life or my familys lives then I will probably use any and all means to get my family and myself to safety, if that means having to use lethal force then so be it. I hope that I will never be in a situation that calls for that response but I do train for it, and if given no other choice, I will do whatever I have to.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:42 am

IMO, this is the perfect case for pepper spray. It's part of my daily carry. There is no way you can discern who is a threat and who is not in a large mass of people like that. However, by it's actions the mob itself is a threat. If it becomes aggressive you can give it a couple of doses and retreat. I do not think lethal force is justified or warranted unless there is a specific threat to you. There is no way to fight a mass with empty hand, gun fire may very well hit the wrong person and you need a deterrent to make space. A taser would be equally ineffective as it work only on one person. If deemed necessary, hose and run. Take into account you very well maybe subject to the effects of the spray as well.

Just my thoughts, as always, assess the situation as you see fit.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 am

JustInCase wrote:
Tater Raider wrote:Keep head down, take video, pics with cell, turn in memory card to the police.
What if a group of the teens spotted you taking video and tried to surround you to get your recording device?
Moving the goal posts in a WWYD is poor form.

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:59 am

JustInCase wrote:
Go down swinging. If I survive, press charges. If I don't, family knows to press charges. Since 2 relatives are LEO, another a dispatcher, and the Uncle a retired detective I'm sure justice will be served.

I didn't say it was smart, I said it was what I would do. You can like the answer or not but it's my answer.

I can get mean and sometimes lack a sense of self preservation. Same question posted tomorrow may have a different response.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:04 am

Try as best I can to not look wealthy or like an authority figure, move as quickly as possible away from the crowd, leave the area. Call the cops once out of the area just in case they haven't already been notified.

Large retail stores tend to have security cameras, no need for be to videotape anything. My goal is to avoid the crowd's attention and get out. If that fails and a hostile mob is targeting me for violence, that's a different discussion and I would respond appropriately, up to and including lethal force, if it becomes necessary.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:05 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
JustInCase wrote:
Moving the goal posts in a WWYD is poor form.

That was not my intent, though I can see it being precieved that way. I am just adding a next step beyond the initial action/problem.
Strength and Honor!

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:08 am

Tater Raider wrote:
JustInCase wrote:
Go down swinging. If I survive, press charges. If I don't, family knows to press charges. Since 2 relatives are LEO, another a dispatcher, and the Uncle a retired detective I'm sure justice will be served.

I didn't say it was smart, I said it was what I would do. You can like the answer or not but it's my answer.

I can get mean and sometimes lack a sense of self preservation. Same question posted tomorrow may have a different response.
Cool beans.

Just for the record, I did not pass judgement on your actions. It does not matter if I like your answer or not. I just thought to take the "what if" one step further based on your answer to the first what if.

No harm no foul.
Strength and Honor!

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:10 am

None taken. Just wanted to be clear is all. :)

EtA: The LEO's in the family wouldn't like my answer at all. :lol:

I can't help but notice that the police are using a Facebook video posted by one of the suspects to ID others. Play stupid games...

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:12 am

Regular Guy wrote:IMO, this is the perfect case for pepper spray. It's part of my daily carry. There is no way you can discern who is a threat and who is not in a large mass of people like that. However, by it's actions the mob itself is a threat. If it becomes aggressive you can give it a couple of doses and retreat. I do not think lethal force is justified or warranted unless there is a specific threat to you. There is no way to fight a mass with empty hand, gun fire may very well hit the wrong person and you need a deterrent to make space. A taser would be equally ineffective as it work only on one person. If deemed necessary, hose and run. Take into account you very well maybe subject to the effects of the spray as well.

Just my thoughts, as always, assess the situation as you see fit.
Excellent points.

I think this situation clearly shows that one needs to have options.
Strength and Honor!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 am

For me, taking photos/videos is a waste of time. Everything in a walmart is already on video. I will GTFO w/ me and mine via the rear of store fire exits.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:13 pm

JustInCase wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:

Since they were mob & robbing at the main enterence, would you get out through one of the emergency exit / fire doors? (This is assuming that this Wal-Mart is not in a mall setting.) What if you found that once you had exited through said emergency door, that there was a group of teens say 10 or 12 waiting for you?
I would try for an emergency exit first. Most mobs are only interested destruction of property, if I where but a shopper at Wal-Mart I would feel relatively safe, especially if I can "grey man" by throwing some toilet paper around and shouting stuff like "down with capitalists!". If directly threatened or I see them picking on/attacking someone defenseless IE mother and child or old person, time to make the best man vs. mob found footage video ever. If escape is clear, bull rush the biggest and meanest looking and break something on him or introduces his insides to the outsides (I'm never anywhere without a knife). Rinse and repeat as needed, get away. Why get away? Because you justed busted one of a mob up, there are about to be 299 hooligans on your ass, and I leave my Spartan shield and spear at home. Good luck with those odds in the best of circumstances.

Now, should my major electronics retail store be rushed by a mob of hooligans, I'd take off my uniform blue polo shirt, direct fellow employees to do the same and corral them towards an emergency exit. Fuck locking yourself into an office/break room, that's just bad shit waiting to happen. I will most undoubtedly have my flashlight, leatherman, boots, heavy belt with punch knife, and a tape measure for strangling. If I am, or a comrade/innocent bystander is directly attacked, I will do my best to fuck them up right back and get away. Unless he is one of those major douchebags I have the displeasure of working with.
Yeah I'm pretty sexist. Rescue the ladies almost without thought, leave non-friend guys to fend for themselves.

I watch enough Jackie Chan, I know how this shit is done.

Realistically, in an abduction-awareness thing I took part of, it took four barely trained guys to bring me to ground without using any hard techniques. In this situation I would feel completely justified to use such hard techniques and improved weapons, but of course, so would my opponents. I generally always have my double A Maglite with Bust-A-Captail end, until it gets taken from you it would be quite handy for putting the hurt on someone to effect escape. That, broom poles, flat screen TV's, anything can make an improvised weapon.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Tater Raider wrote: Go down swinging. If I survive, press charges. If I don't, family knows to press charges. Since 2 relatives are LEO, another a dispatcher, and the Uncle a retired detective I'm sure justice will be served.
Snipped for clarity...

Don't take this as an attack Tater, but does this mean you expect a different standard of justice for you because you have family in the law enforcement business? Because that is sure how it sounds...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 pm

I think it was very clear that he meant he was confident his family would pursue justice, and be familiar with how to do so.

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 pm

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/top-rated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I avoid Wally World like the plague on general principle.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Dawgboy wrote:
Tater Raider wrote: Go down swinging. If I survive, press charges. If I don't, family knows to press charges. Since 2 relatives are LEO, another a dispatcher, and the Uncle a retired detective I'm sure justice will be served.
Snipped for clarity...

Don't take this as an attack Tater, but does this mean you expect a different standard of justice for you because you have family in the law enforcement business? Because that is sure how it sounds...
I'm not taking that as an attack at all. :D Yes, I expect a different standard of justice and I'll explain why.

They know how the system works.

That's it. No good-ol'-boy network or expectations of different treatment because I'm so-and-so's nephew/cousin. I know my family and they know the system and they will make sure it doesn't get lost in the cracks. Too often cases end up politicized or forgotten and they will do their best to avoid allowing either to happen. Please don't read more into it than that though. Once it gets before the judge I will end up treated like everyone else, as is right.

Also, what Pilsung said.

EtA: Please note, my answer is stupid, dangerous, and next to useless but atm that's my likely reaction, even having thought it out, due to... let's call it "stuff". I know beter but sometimes I do stupid stuff anyways. Don't try this at home, you'll likely end up injured or worse and for nothing.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:42 pm

If it's one of those Wal-mart trips where I have to trek across the damn store 42 times because my phone keeps ringing...."Oh yeah, we need toilet paper........hey I just realized we need butter too....envelopes, we're out of envelopes...." Then I'll probably just shoot every damn one of them and wait patiently at the checkout with my Greek yogurt and Kotex thin maxis, not ultra thin dammit that's what you got me last time, I said thin, just plain thin.

If its a quick in and out trip because I didn't mention to anyone that I was going, then I would just avoid them and head for the nearest exit.

Edited for spelling and because they need to be the one's with wings, why can't you ever remeber the wings.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

jakecwu

Post by jakecwu » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't really have anything to add to the discussion...but why do these things always happen in Florida??

And pepper spray FTW.

G-
The Officer Survival Initiative | Tactical Medical Gear & Ballistic Body Armor

Tactical-Officer.com

[quote="The "Listening to Katrina" Blog"]While living in the wilderness has its advantages, if you have no money in your pocket, no home, and no means of living, then we have a word for that. Homeless.[/quote]

Return to “What Would You Do?”