A Cape Scenario 1: The Movie Theater and other

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: A Cape Scenario 1: The Movie Theater and other

Post by squinty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Towanda wrote:
MacAttack wrote:It now seems the person he sent his notebook outlining his intended killings was also his on campus psychiatrist.
Whom he had been seeing professionally for a few months at least.

And as a PHD student he was in part an employee of the university, sort of. He was expected to help his professors in their work and at the same he was expected to do his own research which he was being paid to do.
Though he would normally be left alone to do his own research.

I am wondering why several PHD's and at least one psychiatrist didn't notice he was heading around the twist and got him more or better help, or at least alert the administration of their suspicions.
One gun clinging, undereducated(at least not to their standards), normal guy who owned a gun range noticed and was concerned. And seemed on the verge of calling the authorities on him.
A lot depends on the reporting laws in your state. There's another cabbie here who keeps saying disturbing things to me about wanting to get his CPL and then put holes in the heads of local homeless people that he doesn't like. Unless he tells me, "At 3:00 AM on Sunday the 17th I'm going to drag Mr X into the alley on That Street and shoot him," or something very similar, I have absolutely no legal basis to report him to anybody. If I tried, there's nothing anybody I might report him to can do absent a specific threat.
My state allows a great deal of lattitude for county sheriff's to determine who should and should not own a firearm, or get a CCW. (This is both good and bad, and the reasons for it being good or bad are political, so I won't mention them.) My current county sheriff asks for references and the sheriff's department calls each of them and asks "do you know of any reason such and such a person shouldn't carry a gun?" If a reference were to answer "he talks about shooting homeless guys a lot" that woul dput the kibosh on a permit, at least until the appeal.

Venting about who you'd like to blow away is one minor example of "harmless" behavior that it would be wise to eschew once you begin to carry - or express an interest in carrying - firearms.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:07 pm

This is the emergency comms from Aurora. I have not listened to the whole thing as it is disturbing to me.

If this event was disturbing to you, please do not listen.

This is just the comms. This is not quarterbacking. IF something comes up that is inappropriate please let me know and I'll pull the post.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:21 pm

This is why a good dispatcher is so important. She helped keep the officers responding professional and calmed them at times.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Another example of a mass shooting stopped by a bystander. ONly 70 yards with a 9MM Beretta 92F.

http://www.fairchildhospitalshooting.com/page3.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 am

Regular Guy wrote:

This is the emergency comms from Aurora. I have not listened to the whole thing as it is disturbing to me.

If this event was disturbing to you, please do not listen.

This is just the comms. This is not quarterbacking. IF something comes up that is inappropriate please let me know and I'll pull the post.

This is the PD comms from Aurora (RG's link was the FD). Again, not quarterbacking. I will repeat RG's warning, "If this event was disturbing to you, please do not listen."

From the YT...
WARNING: AUDIO IS INTENSE AND INCLUDES DESCRIPTION OF TRAUMA TO SOME VICTIMS. Audio is provided for public safety personnel and citizens to understand the timing factors, and early decisions made as an emergency situation/mass casualty situation is realized and acted on -- including finding and arresting a suspect or suspects, determining the number of casualties, triage of victims' injuries, organizing a proper response of police, fire, and medical personnel, securing the public from further danger, and securing the scene for investigation.

Communications involving suspect James Holmes custody immediately following the shooting begins following at about 06:54 elapsed time.
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Return to “What Would You Do?”