A Cape Scenario 1: The Movie Theater and other

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: A Cape Scenario 1: The Movie Theater and other

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 pm

DarkAxel wrote: I train to shoot from cover and from odd positions, but I've never had any formal instruction.
Why not?
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
DarkAxel wrote: I train to shoot from cover and from odd positions, but I've never had any formal instruction.
Why not?
I never did any tactical training with a pistol in the Army, just range stuff. There's no tactical pistol courses in my area, so I'd have to travel a bit to attend.

I'm saving up some dough to correct this problem, though.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote:
Why not?
I never did any tactical training with a pistol in the Army, just range stuff. There's no tactical pistol courses in my area, so I'd have to travel a bit to attend.

I'm saving up some dough to correct this problem, though.
Definitely worth the time and money to get to a basic tactical pistol course. I've been around guns my whole life, including a stint in the USMCR, but never did any formal training with a pistol until a few years ago (my USMC MOS and rank didn't rate a pistol). I took a basic handgun course available from a local retired LEO that lasted about 1/2 day and cost around $100. We practiced basic drawing and presentation, magazine changes, grip, stance, basic malfunction drills, ran a number of firing drills, etc. It was remarkable how much I learned in just a few hours of professional instruction, and it paved the way for some additional courses that really built on that base. I'm no gunslinger by any means, but I'm much more aware and confident in my abilities.

Be aware that taking classes can be kind of addictive... :wink:
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 am

Really thinking about the situation after taking my niece to the movies twice this week for her birthday, observing everything and reading a lot of comments here, my thinking is now that even if someone had been carrying concealled, and they'd chose to enguage, depending on their proximity, they'd mostly be drawing fire.

One of the comments about civilian percentages being better then cops got me thinking. Most civilian shootings are at closer ranges then police. Police usualy have a bit of space in between them and a bad guy. They dont like to get up close and personal with armed people. Civilian shootings are normally up close and personal. Like the Zimmerman/Martin deal. Zimmer couldnt have missed if he had tried. I have no data to back it up, but one figures most civilian shootings are probably with in arms reach in many cases, with robberies/muggings and assualts.

I have been looking the past week or so for a pistol for CCW. The Ruger LC9 or something simular is what I am considering. Maybe one of the Taurus concealled carry .357's. I sit in the back of the theater. Gotta come down the steps to get to an exit. So from my position when it would have started, I know I darn sure could not hit someone with the first shot down by the screen, in a situation like described. Either he or I would have to get closer to the other for me to be able to do anything more then just get lucky. I figure I'd be too nervous to take time and make a good first round shot. And once you fired, you now have the shooters undivided attention and you are now out gunned and out ranged. He had to see your muzzle flash in the darkened theater and will know exactly what just happened. I mean if your family is close to you, you probably just got them shot up.

Its one of those that I might could try to distract the guy while my family got out. But it probably wouldnt be a positive desicion for my life expectancy. The more and more I think about it, the less I see it being a positive out come for me. I might like to think I could have taken the guy out, but in all reality probably not. Still I do believe I would have to react and try, something. Even if it would be a distracting effort while family got out.

Hopefully we wont ever have another real life example.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Well, another thing to consider is that these guys are not Carlos Hathcock, Audie Murphy, or anything of the sort. They're socially stunted weirdos who, in every case I've ever seen, have no actual combat experience. Even the Ft. Hood shooter was a doctor, not a doorkicker.

If you shoot at "normal" untrained people, they freak out and start worrying about dying. Yes, you likely would draw fire, but he was likely shooting from the hip, and doped up on opioids to boot. You would be a sober, trained shooter putting rounds on target.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Uncle Chuck

Post by Uncle Chuck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Czechnology wrote:Well, another thing to consider is that these guys are not Carlos Hathcock, Audie Murphy, or anything of the sort. They're socially stunted weirdos who, in every case I've ever seen, have no actual combat experience. Even the Ft. Hood shooter was a doctor, not a doorkicker.

If you shoot at "normal" untrained people, they freak out and start worrying about dying. Yes, you likely would draw fire, but he was likely shooting from the hip, and doped up on opioids to boot. You would be a sober, trained shooter putting rounds on target.
Yup. :clap:

This guy couldn't even clear his rifle when it malfunctioned. He was firing while wearing a protective mask, which, if you've ever done this, you know how much it degrades your marksmanship. And I'm willing to bet a substantial sum of money his rifle wasn't even zeroed.

He is an untrained video gamer, not a tier one operator. I'm nothing special, but I have a hell of a lot more training than this guy. Given the situation, I like my chances going up against this goon with my G23 and my EDC flashlight way more than I like my chances hoping he doesn't shoot me or my family while we either lie still and try to hide or try to escape under fire.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Uncle Chuck wrote: He is an untrained video gamer, not a tier one operator. I'm nothing special, but I have a hell of a lot more training than this guy. Given the situation, I like my chances going up against this goon with my G23 and my EDC flashlight way more than I like my chances hoping he doesn't shoot me or my family while we either lie still and try to hide or try to escape under fire.
Bingo. People seem to equate gear with ability.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:55 pm

JesterODX wrote: And once you fired, you now have the shooters undivided attention BULLSHIT and you are now out gunned and out ranged BULLSHIT. He had to see your muzzle flash in the darkened theater BULLSHIT and will know exactly what just happened BULLSHIT. I mean if your family is close to you, you probably just got them shot up. Perhaps.
Having been on a two way range a time or two, in dark and daylight conditions, everything with the big red bullshit after it is just that. In order of appearance:
It's loud, the projector is flashing if it's dark, as is the shooter's rifle, which has likely deafened him unless he was wearing earpro. Unless you hit him or something on his, he's likely not going to figure it out for a second or two, if ever. While you might be out ranged with a pocket gun, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or repel his assault by fire and close combat. Some real Tier-One guys apparently train to do that when they're out-gunned. So, since you have the chance to get several rounds out, you can take your time a bit, since the shooter is focused on everyone near him, and you should be able to put some distance between you and your family while closing with your target.

Unless I missed something, and he wouldn't have been nearly blind and deaf after his first few rounds.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
JesterODX wrote: And once you fired, you now have the shooters undivided attention BULLSHIT and you are now out gunned and out ranged BULLSHIT. He had to see your muzzle flash in the darkened theater BULLSHIT and will know exactly what just happened BULLSHIT. I mean if your family is close to you, you probably just got them shot up. Perhaps.
Having been on a two way range a time or two, in dark and daylight conditions, everything with the big red bullshit after it is just that. In order of appearance:
It's loud, the projector is flashing if it's dark, as is the shooter's rifle, which has likely deafened him unless he was wearing earpro. Unless you hit him or something on his, he's likely not going to figure it out for a second or two, if ever. While you might be out ranged with a pocket gun, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or repel his assault by fire and close combat. Some real Tier-One guys apparently train to do that when they're out-gunned. So, since you have the chance to get several rounds out, you can take your time a bit, since the shooter is focused on everyone near him, and you should be able to put some distance between you and your family while closing with your target.

Unless I missed something, and he wouldn't have been nearly blind and deaf after his first few rounds.
And his gas mask is fogging up. And his helmet is reducing his hearing.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:33 pm

RickOShea wrote: And his gas mask is fogging up. And his helmet is reducing his hearing.
Firing a shotgun, then a rifle in an acoustically enhanced enclosed space would be plenty without the helmet. He was functionally deaf after the 2nd shot, believe me. (so were a lot of people in that room)

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Czechnology wrote:Firing a shotgun, then a rifle in an acoustically enhanced enclosed space would be plenty without the helmet. He was functionally deaf after the 2nd shot, believe me. (so were a lot of people in that room)
Of interest, I've got a buddy on our local SWAT team who has been involved in several indoor shootings. I thought the same thing as you, Czech, but my buddy said he wasn't wearing ear protection during his shootings, and only remembers hearing the report as an afterthought. He claims his hearing wasn't effected during the incident. Auditory exclusion?

Anecdotal only, of course, but interesting to hear his take on it.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:21 pm

jor-el wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Blast wrote:
What action could you possibly take which would make that situation worse?
Missing the shooter and taking out another six year old child or any other innocent bystander?
-Blast
Drawing fire to people sitting next to you, which, by law of averages, still makes things better for everyone else in the theater, but people around you that get shot and survive might be pretty pissed.
That would be later, provided there IS a later.

Did we not agree the whole scenario is a Kobayashi Maru where every choice has equally bad consequences?

Playing possum or running both carry the risk that the shooter may shoot you regardless. In both examples there is nothing to distract the Joker from continuing his killing spree. He certainly won't stop out of the goodness of his heart.
Wrt the risk posed by "friendly fire" - it is real, and needs to be taken into account when you make a shoot/don't shoot decision. But that risk pales in comparison to the deliberate, unimpeded, targeted fire from the attacker. The odds of him hitting an innocent on purpose are much greater than the odds of the defender hitting an innocent by mistake. If you draw his fire, you haven't increased the risk to others all that much - where they were at risk from unimpeded fire directly targeting them, now they are only at risk of stray bullets intended for you. A frightful risk, but less so than that posed by directed fire.

It is possible to mitigate risk to bystanders. Pulling a ccw need not be your first resort, nor does the encounter need to be a long range, stand up, face to face shootout involving your pocket pistol vs. his rifle.

Flee if you can, hide if you can't flee, and look for the shot. If hiding works, and you never get the shot, fine - you survived. If he finds you hiding, that's fine to - as he sticks his head under the table or walks up to the row of theater seats where you are proned, he's putting himself in range for a close, surprise shot.

The Aurora shooter walked up to people in the theater and messed with them. He pressed the muzzle of his rifle against some of them. His back may have been to others. Why not shoot him in the back if he puts himself in such a position? Or crouch behind the seats and take a carefully aimed shot from concealment, using arm rests or seat backs as a rest? It's a dark theater, there's smoke, and he had 70 - odd potential targets to focus on. The defender has one. Wait until he's focused on another target, and if the shot presents itself, shoot from concealment.

All of this assumes a CCW in such circumstances. Without one, my response hierarchy would be the same (1) - look for a safe way out (2) - if there's no safe egress, find cover or concealment or otherwise hide myself from the shooter's notice. (3) - if both 1 and 2 fail, then fight desperately with whatever is at hand, wish it was a pistol, but if not, and I am about to be shot anyway, do something. Stab with an EDC knife or grab ahold of the gun if he's close enough, throw a biggie soda at him, something.

George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:42 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Can you balance on the armrest and seatback in front of you and fire a critical first shot when he's not looking, followed by a well-aimed string of fire?

There are some people in this thread that I think could. I'm not one of them. Not now, and maybe not ever
I think it could be worth a try. Maybe I'm just deluding myself, since I have less training than most of the gunnier members of ZS, including you Mr. Lee. Like I said, IMO a CCW is never a first option in any scenario, and this one is no different - GTFO and concealment (cover if such a thing exists in the environment) are going to be the first priorities. But while the odds don't favor taking a shot in every circumstance, a shot might present itself - and the odds aren't so stacked against the defender as to make it worthless to try.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 am

DannusMaximus wrote:
Czechnology wrote:Firing a shotgun, then a rifle in an acoustically enhanced enclosed space would be plenty without the helmet. He was functionally deaf after the 2nd shot, believe me. (so were a lot of people in that room)
Of interest, I've got a buddy on our local SWAT team who has been involved in several indoor shootings. I thought the same thing as you, Czech, but my buddy said he wasn't wearing ear protection during his shootings, and only remembers hearing the report as an afterthought. He claims his hearing wasn't effected during the incident. Auditory exclusion?

I've always called bullshit on this "auditory exclusion" stuff. Yeah, a week later, I don't explicitly remember hearing the gunfire, unless I end up next to a belt-fed or something, but the walk back from the gunfight is usually a minor checking my gear, guessing at how much ammo I have left, and waiting for the tinnitus to subside. Firing an M16 outdoors makes...used to make my ears go *weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* even with the 20" barrel and full PPE. Indoors with earpro on, I can feel the pressure from the muzzle (A2 muzzle device) with every shot, and without earpro I end up walking out of the structure talking like Sloth from "The Goonies" and everyone else sounds like Helen Keller.

Anecdotal: the one time I had the displeasure of sharing a killhouse with a Mossy 500, I lost an earplug. I couldn't hear myself talk, but the Corpsman had to check for serious damage afterward, and only forty rounds were fired between my M4 and the shotgun. It made my brain hurt.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

williaty

Post by williaty » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:04 am

Doc Torr wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote:

I've always called bullshit on this "auditory exclusion" stuff. Yeah, a week later, I don't explicitly remember hearing the gunfire, unless I end up next to a belt-fed or something, but the walk back from the gunfight is usually a minor checking my gear, guessing at how much ammo I have left, and waiting for the tinnitus to subside. Firing an M16 outdoors makes...used to make my ears go *weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* even with the 20" barrel and full PPE. Indoors with earpro on, I can feel the pressure from the muzzle (A2 muzzle device) with every shot, and without earpro I end up walking out of the structure talking like Sloth from "The Goonies" and everyone else sounds like Helen Keller.

Anecdotal: the one time I had the displeasure of sharing a killhouse with a Mossy 500, I lost an earplug. I couldn't hear myself talk, but the Corpsman had to check for serious damage afterward, and only forty rounds were fired between my M4 and the shotgun. It made my brain hurt.
It should also be recognized that auditory exclusion and hearing damage (temporary or permanent) are two completely different things. Auditory exclusion is your brain deciding that the signals being sent by your ears currently don't matter enough to pay attention to. This is why people don't remember hearing the boom of the shots that worked but do remember the click of the round that failed. Hearing damage (temporary or otherwise) is the result of a hardware failure in your ears. Big noise hits you and a variety of physiological changes can happen that do anything from rendering you temporarily hard of hearing, to making your ears ring (tinnitus), to leaving you profoundly deaf for the rest of your life.

Also, does it bother anyone else that it's spelled "tinnitus"? It should be "tintinnitus" since tintinnabulation is the word for ringing!

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:58 am

Uncle Chuck wrote:...He was firing while wearing a protective mask, which, if you've ever done this, you know how much it degrades your marksmanship...
This is a very good point. Not only do those masks degrade your marksmanship, depending the mask peripheral vision is degraded up to 40-50%, they have a tendency to fog up due to temp changes (I imagine the theater was ACed and he'd walked in from outside), the face-plates have a habit of flaring in the light, and can be quite uncomfortable breathing-wise for someone not used to wearing them.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Blitzen2k5

Post by Blitzen2k5 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
Uncle Chuck wrote:...He was firing while wearing a protective mask, which, if you've ever done this, you know how much it degrades your marksmanship...
This is a very good point. Not only do those masks degrade your marksmanship, depending the mask peripheral vision is degraded up to 40-50%, they have a tendency to fog up due to temp changes (I imagine the theater was ACed and he'd walked in from outside), the face-plates have a habit of flaring in the light, and can be quite uncomfortable breathing-wise for someone not used to wearing them.
How long was he in the hall inside the theater waiting for the right time to start his rampage? The movie was going for 20 minutes before he threw the first canister. Did he put the mask on before or after he entered the hall behind the theater? How long was that? He could have been there for quite awhile. So fogging up might not have been an issue.

It looks like he was using a Survivair Opti-Fit CBRN Gas Mask. http://www.qmuniforms.com/Brands/Surviv ... mpaign=GPS

But cant be 100% sure there. Pic of the gas mask he used is further down on the article here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ealed.html. Also the next picture down on that article.... Is that a ballistic vest at the officer's feet?
Looking down at this barren land once known as home before. Destruction, all the world. It's an ending we have brought.
Wyatt Earth Lyrics

All the evil in the world can be seen in the eyes of a chicken.

Uncle Chuck

Post by Uncle Chuck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Blitzen2k5 wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:
How long was he in the hall inside the theater waiting for the right time to start his rampage? The movie was going for 20 minutes before he threw the first canister. Did he put the mask on before or after he entered the hall behind the theater? How long was that? He could have been there for quite awhile. So fogging up might not have been an issue.
By all accounts, he came in through the emergency exit directly from outside Theater 9. Look at the diagram earlier in this thread.

Blitzen2k5

Post by Blitzen2k5 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Uncle Chuck wrote:
Blitzen2k5 wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:
By all accounts, he came in through the emergency exit directly from outside Theater 9. Look at the diagram earlier in this thread.

That is where I am talking about. The back of the theater emergency exit. I dont know of any theaters that have the emergency door open directly into the theater. The ones I have been in have a small hall so someone going out wont disturb people watching a movie. Every report I have seen or read says he started his attack when a scene in the movie had a lot of shooting. So he could not have been standing in the corner of the theater waiting, someone would have seen him quite quickly. He would not have been holding the door open waiting. Plus a few reports had witnesses saying he came from the hall leading to the emergency exit.

So I am guessing he came through the exit door and stood in hall waiting for the best time to strike. So again how long did he stand there? Did he just happen to come in at the right time or did he wait awhile? Did he put the mask on inside just before the attack or outside before he entered?
Looking down at this barren land once known as home before. Destruction, all the world. It's an ending we have brought.
Wyatt Earth Lyrics

All the evil in the world can be seen in the eyes of a chicken.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 pm

As loud as the theaters are today, he could probably still hear the movie while standing on the outside of one of the back exits.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Blitzen2k5 wrote: Every report I have seen or read says he started his attack when a scene in the movie had a lot of shooting.
I've watched reports on TV that said the shooting scene was over before the attack began, and the confusion came from the fact that theater 8 next door was showing the shooting scene during the attack. The news outlets also reported that Holmes had a bullet-proof vest and was carrying an assault rifle :shrug:

Even if he stood and waited, it still wouldn't account for his breath condensing on the faceplate of his mask. I spent a lot of time in protective masks during my OSUT training, and they DO fog up. There's no getting around that. A protective mask is hot, uncomfortable, limits your vision, doesn't allow you to get a good cheek weld on your rifle stock, flares when exposed to point sources of light, messes with depth perception, and fogs up like a motherfucker even though the inner surfaces are treated with a defogger.

Protective masks degrade combat effectiveness.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:58 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
That's why they invented double lens "thermal" goggles. But I dont' know if any gas masks have them.

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 am

RickOShea wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:
That's why they invented double lens "thermal" goggles. But I dont' know if any gas masks have them.
Vision obstruction is only one factor that degrades combat effectiveness in people trained to fight in them. As far as I can tell, Holmes was some jack-hole who bought his gear just a few short months before his spree, and not some trained NBC soldier used to moving about in high-pressure situations while wearing a mask. The motherfucker had no idea who to clear a weapon malfunction, and was wearing several pounds of tactical gear that I'd be willing to bet my left nut he hadn't practiced moving in.

My .mil issued mask didn't have a double-lens "thermal" faceplate. I have no idea what mask Holmes was wearing, so I don't know if his did. I would guess no, but that is just a guess.

What I'd really like to see is a breakdown of the injuries sustained by victims of mass shootings. How many of the dead were shot either by lucky shots or at near contact range while playing possum or after being wounded? Such info could substantially change my answer to this WWYD.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks to all maintaining self control in this thread. There is, no doubt, a desire to go add any number of circumstances to the mix but that would serve little purpose. By keeping to the subject at hand, I hope we can formulate strategies that would actually work against the next would-be supervillain.
I used to use a North full face respirator when I cleaned the lead pits at the indoor range I was assigned to. I can't imagine trying to take deep breaths quickly in it, and it definitely restricted my vision.
The MSA Millenium mask is about the same, and I have gone through rescue scenarios in COBRA gear. One of those scenarios involved through a subway train to find a survivor hidden by smoke. Visibility improved close to the floor. This might explain a tactic used by Holmes where he moved right up to his intended victim to menace him/her.THe Joker may well have handicapped himself by using both tear gas/smoke and a gas mask. Could be he couldn't see any of his victims unless he came within a few feet of them.

Wound information may be a long time in coming. One can only speculate as to the nature and severity of wounds being analyzed as to the origin and attack vectors.

Theater design is a concern. I don't remember any theater in NYC with only two entry/exit doors. All of the ones I've frequented here have had at least four, two each front and back.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Return to “What Would You Do?”