Guy at the door says he's "looking for gas" with no gas can

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

OffWhiteKnight

Guy at the door says he's "looking for gas" with no gas can

Post by OffWhiteKnight » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:41 am

A while back I went to pick a friend up for work, on the way there he mentioned that his wife was a little nervous about him leaving that night, because that afternoon while he was sleeping some guy had knocked on the door and told her was looking for gas, he had run out and his car was blocking their driveway. I'm not sure exactly what she told him, I know she didn't let him in or try to give him anything. But as he was leaving she noticed he didn't have anything to put gas in if he found it, and it struck her as odd that he knocked on their door, when their house was up on a hill and couldn't be seen from the road, instead of going to one of the houses that were right on the road. She went to a spot in the yard she could see the start of the driveway from and there was no car there. I told my friend I was surprised he was going to work that night because he kept saying he wished she had woken him up when she noticed the guy was "looking for gas" without a gas can and he told me he wasn't that worried.. the dogs were out and she had the sheriff's number and knew where his guns were. I still think I would have called off that night in his place, and I might have called the sheriff and reported the guy looking for gas without a gas can or car to put it in. What would you do in a situation like this?
" Zombies are the retarded cousin of the monster family. They are not scary, not cool and not going to have their own apocolypse. They are like a bunch of fanboys.. always after you and never quite able to catch up"- My cousin, who shall be known as "Decoy" in the event of a zombie uprising.

TacAir

Re: Guy at the door says he's "looking for gas" with no gas

Post by TacAir » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:46 am

We often get oddballs showing up at the door, since we have posted the property, they are told to leave. No discussion, no 'what's your problem' - just leave, thanks.

If they look really off, we call the police to report a 'suspicious person' - by and large they are talking to the person within a few minutes.

So, in the this case - REPORT IT - with all the details possible. So it cuts into a donut break, it's your tax money, get something for it.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:18 am

Lots of times in my area, guys will do this who are casing houses to rob.... have your buddy put his house on the Sheriffs Dept welfare check list

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:46 am

Another good one for folks looking to rob are carpet cleaners. Gives them the ability to scope out every room. I'm not talking the Stanly Steamer guys, the guys working out of a '82 maroon Chevy Venture. Yeah, I called on a crew that knocked on my door. The sheriff found them with a bunch of stuff the homeowners didn't even know they took.
My strong rule of thumb, I don't open the door unless I know the person or I called to have someone come by. In my 'hood it's not allowed to go door to door selling things and there is a law against it.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:46 am

I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:42 pm

This is a classic way to case a home for a burglary. Please call the local Police Sheriff and report these guys after you tell them to beat feet. Car descriptions and tag numbers are great, just dont put yourself at risk to get them.
Beretta accept no substitute.

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I would call local law enforcement, report the guy as a suspicious person and ask for extra patrolling in the area. Being female, I'd also be concerned about the possibility of him wanting to carry out a sexual assault.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:46 pm

This is one of those times of the year when bums transit from one part of the country to another. When we lived right off a highway we would get 3-4 visits in the mid spring and mid fall under similar circumstances. Not much you can do about it just be extra aware and don't make yourself a target.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:52 am

This happened on our farm while I was home. It was ridiculous for someone wanting gas to have walked up to my house due to it's remoteness and off the normal roads folks travel.

I peeked out the window and saw a stranger so I opened the door with a rifle in hand. Not a super sexy black rifle, but a Henry Big Boy .44. I asked him aggressively what he wanted. Same BS: need gas, blah, blah. He had a junky little sedan with a bunch of stuff in it. I told him to put his DL on the porch and back up. When he moved back I got the DL and called a buddy with the sheriff's dept. I said I had Joe Bum, Dl # 13211872 and he was looking for free gas. He ran the guy's info and said he was clear on warrants and there hadn't been any burglaries sounding like this technique in the area.

Since he looked like he was clear, I gave him 5 gallons of gas and sent him on his way with a God Bless and Good Luck. He offered to bring me gas or cash when he was paid and I told him to just pass the blessing forward. "Besides", I told him, "if you come here when I am not here my menopausal wife will cheerfully shoot your ass dead. She's gotten so bad she's unemployable and stays here pissed off most of the time."

Actually, my sweet wife was home due to breast cancer (we won :clap: ), but I didn't want any percieved weakness in my AO.

About two weeks later there was a 20 dollar bill in the mailbox in an envelope labeled merely "Thanks"
Boldly going nowhere

Heem
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Shock Waves" - Underwater undead Nazis gone bad, cheesy & campy, early 1970s with Peter Cushing. Check it out on You Tube, an unknown classic!

Post by Heem » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:43 am

Zimmy wrote:This happened on our farm while I was home. It was ridiculous for someone wanting gas to have walked up to my house due to it's remoteness and off the normal roads folks travel.

I peeked out the window and saw a stranger so I opened the door with a rifle in hand. Not a super sexy black rifle, but a Henry Big Boy .44. I asked him aggressively what he wanted. Same BS: need gas, blah, blah. He had a junky little sedan with a bunch of stuff in it. I told him to put his DL on the porch and back up. When he moved back I got the DL and called a buddy with the sheriff's dept. I said I had Joe Bum, Dl # 13211872 and he was looking for free gas. He ran the guy's info and said he was clear on warrants and there hadn't been any burglaries sounding like this technique in the area.

Since he looked like he was clear, I gave him 5 gallons of gas and sent him on his way with a God Bless and Good Luck. He offered to bring me gas or cash when he was paid and I told him to just pass the blessing forward. "Besides", I told him, "if you come here when I am not here my menopausal wife will cheerfully shoot your ass dead. She's gotten so bad she's unemployable and stays here pissed off most of the time."

Actually, my sweet wife was home due to breast cancer (we won :clap: ), but I didn't want any percieved weakness in my AO.

About two weeks later there was a 20 dollar bill in the mailbox in an envelope labeled merely "Thanks"
Good to hear your wife is doing well.

While working at an unoccupied property back a lane in the woods, my car got stuck in the mud and I couldn't get it out. I had to walk about a mile to the nearest farm for help. The farmer was great, he got his tractor & chains and 30 minutes later I was back on the road (I gave him some money). That was 35 years ago, before things got dangerous with strangers showing up at the door. Be careful with the lone young woman knocking on your door, they can be used to lower your guard while dangerous scumbags are hiding close by out of sight. This has been a good home invasion technique that has gotten people killed.

On the rare occasion that our door bell rings, I answer it with my .45 in hand hidden behind a half opened door if I don't recognize who's on the porch. And another thing - no one comes in the house.
"Crime is contagious....if the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for the law."
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

Okelly
Favorite Zombie Movies: remake of Night of the living Dead by Tom Savini, the new Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, and not a movie but the Walking Dead.

Post by Okelly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm

I live by a national park, and I can say thats happened to me several times over the years. apparently your average american no longer carries Jumper cables or Gas cans believing they have magical batteries and vehicles that will always have just enough juice or fuel to get them home.

usually my shotgun is behind the door and my pistol in my hand out of sight when I open the door, if they are playing a scam, and are brave enough to get past my Dog, I will have plenty of time to shoot them as the dog drags them around on the porch. LOL.
When Mimes finally escape the invisible box, Hell will come with them.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm not saying the guy wasn't shady......But how many people that do run out of gas have a "gas can" in their vehicle? Probably not very many.

And that's probably why most gas stations (atleast in my AO) sell gas cans.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Tell the guy directions to the nearest gas station, try to get the mans name, try to identify the car he is travelling in and any companions in the car but ALWAYS keep the foot at the base of the door ready to slam it when speaking through the gap you strategically maintained as if you were wearing a towel fresh from the shower.

After the guy buggers off make a note of plates, clothing, accent, race, hair style, facial hair, age and TIME that you met the man at your doorstep.
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

wolverine_173

Post by wolverine_173 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Just answer the door with a gun in your hand and make sure they see you have one and they probably wont try to rob you

Zen Chameleon

Post by Zen Chameleon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 pm

RickOShea wrote:I'm not saying the guy wasn't shady......But how many people that do run out of gas have a "gas can" in their vehicle? Probably not very many.

And that's probably why most gas stations (atleast in my AO) sell gas cans.
^^^This really is a good point :)

Notifying the law is always a good thing (just in case). I have helped just as many folks as I've turned away, that's sometimes situational but the older I get the more likely I've avoided helping strangers. I hate that on a moral level but you have to protect yourself and yours first and for most.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 pm

wolverine_173 wrote:Just answer the door with a gun in your hand and make sure they see you have one and they probably wont try to rob you
Or, instead of just throwing away the literature that the "nicely dressed folks" leave wedged in the door jamb......Swing that door wide open, hand them a pamphlet, and in an exuberant voice ask, "Brother, have you heard the good news ???"
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Well hate all you like, at least you have a free press that will publish their material.

:twisted: :words:
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 pm

PackLemming wrote:Well hate all you like, at least you have a free press that will publish their material.

:twisted: :words:
No hate, none at all....just an option. The one that usually comes to my door flew AH-1s in 'Nam and his son, IIRC, is currently a helo instructor at Mother Rucker, so we usually end up talking about "fling-wings".

Heem
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Shock Waves" - Underwater undead Nazis gone bad, cheesy & campy, early 1970s with Peter Cushing. Check it out on You Tube, an unknown classic!

Post by Heem » Wed May 29, 2013 7:17 am

I live in a very good neighborhood. I came home about mid day the other week and a cop was across the street knocking on the retired neighbors door. No one answered & his truck was gone. The cop came over as I was getting out of my Jeep and told me there was a daytime break-in behind his house on another road and he was checking to see if anyone saw anything. Then he told me the house beside the one across our street was broken into 3 weeks ago in the daytime also, and the guy had a security system. That's 2 break-ins within 3 houses of me, I'm retired and at home most of the time, and my wife & I knew nothing about what was going on. I proceeded to visit other neighbors, some knew, some didn't, and some did not care! One said someone tried to break into a house in the middle of the night at the end of our street. A neighbor 2 houses from mine said he knew nothing about it, he works at night, and has no handguns for protection. This guy has a super hot wife, teenage daughter and 2 younger kids , , , home alone at night, and no gun. I also found out there have been a rash of burglaries within half a mile over the past few months, and the police thought they caught that gang.

Now, anyone comes to my door I want ID and write it down. I threw one guy off the property and took a couple of pictures of him. Another one I called the police after they left and gave them the license number of the van. I helped find them, they were Kerby vacuum cleaner sales people working out of their trailer . . . claimed they were just carpet cleaners at my door.

No one gets in the house. For years there have been handguns in reach within 3 seconds all through my house for those that do. The dangerous home invader wants you there and the break-in is fast, coordinated, violent and usually done by 2 or more pieces of crap. Good luck calling time out so you can go get the gun out of the gun safe, which is most peoples plan. There are many ways to conceal a handgun close by in plain sight. We can do this since the kids are grown and moved on. When people with kids come over we lock the guns up, except the one in my pocket.
"Crime is contagious....if the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for the law."
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Wed May 29, 2013 7:56 am

Yeah your scenario above is one of those call it in to the non-emergency line. Best case it wastes a bit of time for one of the traffic cops to drive through and check the guy out.

That is one advantage of having two cops on my street with take home cruisers that work opposite shifts.
Worst we've had in a year or two is one house got egged by the teenaged boy's friends as a prank.

Now when I first moved in there was a teenager that was going around looking for unlocked cars to rummage through. Cops caught him though, something about leaving your cigarette butts having the same brand pack in your shirt pocket and six gps's in your backpack kinda gave him away.

Used to get a few of those 'troubled youth' magazine sales pitches every now and than, but haven't seen them in some time either. I'd just tell them not interested

Since I work from home 80-90% of the time, it isn't often I'm not around, and I'm a bit of a night owl so sitting on the front porch smoking a cigar at midnight does deter crime in the immediate vincinty on the street. Even the kids doing their pass through speeding on the street tend to drive halfway sane cause I didn't have a trouble noting the vehicle and just figuring out which house it belongs to and knocking on the door about dinner time to talk to their parent, simply saying you can correct them or I just call in the plate to the county and let them handle it. I've yet (knock on wood) had to call a cop on a kid yet.
Yeti

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Thu May 30, 2013 4:39 am

Fart in his face

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 am

I used to live on a well-travelled rural road. It was miles to a gas station. A number of times over the years I lived there people showed up at my door. Several of these had run out of gas. None had gas cans, of course. I grabbed a can and gave them a gallon or so. Each tried to pay me. Each was told that they owed help to another person in need.

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 am

Cowgirl wrote:I used to live on a well-travelled rural road. It was miles to a gas station.
Yep. Probably once every couple years we get someone wandering up looking for gas. Usually some kid.
I figure if they are brave enough to make it past the roosters, they really need the gas.

What happens more often (at least a half dozen times each winter) is that someone misses the corner down from our house when the road is iced over.
The older kids have gotten pretty greedy about charging them to take the tractor down and pull them out.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Norseman

Post by Norseman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:17 pm

As has been said, most people do not carry a gas can in their vehicle. That being said, knocking on doors to see if someone is home is definitely a common "casing" practice - if a person comes to/answers door they make an excuse for being there such as out of gas or looking for a dog. No one comes to the door, they kick it in and steal, maybe even calling friend (s) with truck waiting down the road.

Just be careful, treat any stranger with suspicion, but help if you can as they may actually be in need. Above all, trust your instincts.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ---George Orwell

Return to “What Would You Do?”