what is you SHTF AR15 and what do you have on it?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Matt E.

Re: what is you SHTF AR15 and what do you have on it?

Post by Matt E. » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Chime away, as it's still America...
I've read Dave's stuff about it. to be honest, the only thing I have ever read on any forum that was a very good point- counter point was about 2 years ago by two true SME's who used the gun. I know both parties, their back grounds in R&D and their experience. It was the only thing I have every read on line that made me think "maybe I need to look into this." Before that, I parroted the same bottom line as everyone else. Most of what I read otherwise, is what I call "the hater drive by."

Magazines- having all the inside scoop I can stomach, I specifically selected a standard lower as to accept any mags (in my original post here, I stated URG on purpose). This is one of my two REAL non-Internety issues with HK's gun.

I specifically wanted a short gun which I could shoot suppressed. A longer gun, 14.5 or 16, I fully support a DI gun.
Maintenance- The Glock as spoiled me. I don't like to clean guns as I don't have the time, and commonly don't EDIT-ADD lube on either. It's nice to know neither is required for the gun to be reliable. What originally came about due to lazyness, turned into eye opening information. This was an important part of my DMP and was discussed by the true SME's I discussed above. So, I can shoot the crap out of a short gun, with less lube unsupressed and stays cooler.

Weight- They make a light barrel which mine has. It's not 2005 anymore. The difference between it and my MK18 URG is negligible. Is it still heavier? Sure. A SIG 226 is heavier then a G17.

Expence- Yep, it's more expensive and hard to find. If you don't have the need, don't foot the bill...unless you want to...

When I used to read the standard list of why/why not an HK 416...for everything they said was a plus, I said "who cares about that?" In actual use, I found that answer was "me".

If you don't want one, don't get one. If you can't afford one, rock on, you'll be fine with what ever you have (primarily because unless you are on active duty or an LEO, most of us will be fine with a 5 shot .38. let alone, some kind of AR). Just don't think for a second that it's advantages aren't advantages. If you don't care about those advantages, that's up to your personal opinion, but the gun still retains them no matter the opinion.
Last edited by Matt E. on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Matt, thanks bro thats what I was looking for. We have discussed the objective data regarding the 416 before, and thats got me hooked. Everybody and there brother seems to have an opinion on the gun, but the only two people i know that own and extensivly shoot them (purchased not issued) have already posted on this thread. So 416 urg it is .....you want to make a deal?
My M4 kills bugs dead

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:58 pm

No on the deal. I got mine at the right time. A friend just got one for double what I paid, and I wouldn't pay that.
I won't sit hear and tell you or anyone that you have to have one. I'd have a hard time justifying it for most. You can get a MK 18 of good manufacture for less.
However, on the same note, my experience won't let me join the rest of the net and Pooh-pooh it. there is always more to the story but I'll only speak about my lane.

Note- I do not recommend, nor was the gun in question designed to run without lube. However, at times I have run it dry due to oversight, or it was run with the last range sessions lube. The only reason I mention this is due to the ARs ubiquitous after thought and catch all "as long as it's wet."
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 pm

OK, I just talked to Johnny. He is going to broker the deal. I have to give him my truck, and you are going to get a "reenlistment" coffe mug for your urg, It's a good deal!
My M4 kills bugs dead

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Let's please not turn this into an IAR/Hk416/piston/DI circle jerk; we've all seen this before. There are some very specific instances where the Hk could be advantageous (the pro's which I think can be negated through other means) and that's that. I think what one should bear in mind is that there are two piston AR designs overall: The current production Hk and everything else.

That's all I really have to say in this thread as to not further devolve it.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Moved to WWYD.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Now that it's been moved to WWYD, I don't know if I'm off topic by saying that my AR15, my only AR15 and therefore by definition my SHTF AR15, has nothing on it except a standard a1 front sight and a magpul rear sight.

I probably would have had enough money for at least a decent red dot by now, or a weapon light, except I've spent the money instead on ammo and range time. I'm having way, way too much fun shooting it. I am getting pretty damn good with those irons though.

I suppose that's good for a SHTF scenario.......

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm

But your rear sight is plastic...

At least get a neutered A2 rear with windage and elevation. At least that way you have a rifle that should be able to tag a prone target cold-bore at 300m.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:34 pm

My newest AR build and also my SHTF AR is a Bushmaster lower, Noveski 14.5 afghan upper, with Magpul B.A.D. sights, TRL 1 light and a Aimpoint H-1 red dot. Equipped with Pmags.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Doc Torr wrote:But your rear sight is plastic...

At least get a neutered A2 rear with windage and elevation. At least that way you have a rifle that should be able to tag a prone target cold-bore at 300m.
That requires you be able to see a prone target at 300 meters. Since that's a physical impossibility for me, it's not a concern.

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:But your rear sight is plastic...

That requires you be able to see a prone target at 300 meters. Since that's a physical impossibility for me, it's not a concern.
+1 I can't see a NRA-standard target at 100yds, so iron sights aren't a consideration for me there. In fact, I have enough trouble with that at 25yds that I can shoot better than I can see and I don't shoot very well yet (only had a rifle for 2 months). Going to something with even a little magnification makes things muuuuuuch better.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:56 am

williaty wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:At least get a neutered A2 rear with windage and elevation. At least that way you have a rifle that should be able to tag a prone target cold-bore at 300m.
Indubitably, my good sir and/or madam. I can't see a NRA-standard target at 100yds, so iron sights aren't a consideration for me there. In fact, I have enough trouble with that at 25yds that I can shoot better than I can see and I don't shoot very well yet (only had a rifle for 2 months). Going to something with even a little magnification makes things muuuuuuch better.
I see an ACOG in your future :D I'll give you a great deal :wink:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
williaty wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:At least get a neutered A2 rear with windage and elevation. At least that way you have a rifle that should be able to tag a prone target cold-bore at 300m.
Indubitably, my good sir and/or madam. I can't see a NRA-standard target at 100yds, so iron sights aren't a consideration for me there. In fact, I have enough trouble with that at 25yds that I can shoot better than I can see and I don't shoot very well yet (only had a rifle for 2 months). Going to something with even a little magnification makes things muuuuuuch better.

Don't you know it pal. I chatted with a guy back from the 'stan at my local range last weekend. He had basically recreated his service rifle in semi auto and let me look through his ACOG. I'm a huge believer in value optics, but dear lord in heaven, talk about jaw-dropping optical clarity. It wasn't so much non-distorted magnification as it was viewing real life in high def times four. And I've looked through cheap red dots before and assumed that with my astigmatism, I'll just have to live with an oblog, slightly "pixelated" red dot. But that chevron reticle in the ACOG was crisp in the way fonts are crisp on a dedicated ebook reader. It simply appeared to be floating out there in space, where ever I aimed.

I don't know what kind of technological juju they put in that goddamn thing, but it's clearly not of this world. I don't know what it is or where it came from. All I know is that I WANT one now.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:22 am

majorhavoc wrote:I don't know what it is or where it came from. All I know is that I WANT one now.
See that ACOG link down in my sig? It wants you to click it 8-)
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:36 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:I don't know what it is or where it came from. All I know is that I WANT one now.
See that ACOG link down in my sig? It wants you to click it 8-)
I did see that, Kutter. And I found your ad very informative and very entertaining. It's just that my wants and my current budget are seriously, seriously out of alignment right now. Mostly I wanted to acknowledge what many folks imply: the majority of people who say they don't want an ACOG, or at least think it's overpriced, are people who've never looked through an ACOG. Seeing as they say, is believing.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:53 am

Yeah, I brought it to MilCopp last year just to let people play with. I still want to convert a 20" Saiga 5.56 for it :twisted:

Man, I need a job :lol:

williaty

Post by williaty » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
williaty wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:
Yeah, I know, sadly. I looked through one at the local gun shop. Very, very good optics (coming from someone who once made his living via optics) and just about the right level of mag to get reasonable things done. However, they cost almost as much as the rifle I'd build under them. While the wife is understanding and she wanted her AR built first, she's carefully explained that she's not that understanding.

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Currently running a carbon composite lower with an Adams Arms piston converted upper. Have an SSAR (slide stock) and Trijicon RX30 optic. Had to upgrade to a 2 stage trigger because I was having fail to extract problems with the slide stock. Haven't since going to the new trigger.
Also have a CMMG 22 evolution conversion kit for it that is so small and lightweight, it makes it worth it to carry. Not to mention you can plink for hours on what seems to be pennies.

Flashlight mounted on the side but not too fond of the cheapie flashlight I have. Looking for a good rail mount to fit a 4Sevens Quark AA but haven't found it yet.

Recently got an EZ sling but haven't had a chance to really play with it in the field yet.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 pm

121Ranger wrote:I sure miss this baby. Would love to have one now, the 203 that is. Just finished a four day LRS mission on the Syrian/Iraq border. Didn't see any zombies though....

can anyone tell me what kind of mount that is holding the Aimpoint on there? i like that set up...and do they make any mounts that are lower to the bore?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Dabster

what is you SHTF AR15 and what do you have on it?

Post by Dabster » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 pm

0122358 wrote:
121Ranger wrote:I sure miss this baby. Would love to have one now, the 203 that is. Just finished a four day LRS mission on the Syrian/Iraq border. Didn't see any zombies though....

can anyone tell me what kind of mount that is holding the Aimpoint on there? i like that set up...and do they make any mounts that are lower to the bore?
I can't tell which one that is but the factory mount is pretty low. I've also heard a the QRP is particularly low too.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:07 pm

0122358 wrote:
121Ranger wrote:
Probably this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/668549 ... high-matte

Or maybe this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918330 ... high-matte
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mr.Pliskin

Post by Mr.Pliskin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 am

16" Daniel Defense upper on a M&P lower, NiB BCG, Badger tactical latch, 15" Midwest Industries quad rail, Troy flip up front BUIS, MATECH rear flip up buis, DD light nount with Surefire 6P, EOTECH 512(i think), and a Brand New Krylon paint job

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49 pm

can anyone tell me what kind of mount that is holding the Aimpoint on there?
That's the standard M68 torque limiting mount. Not bad, except that the adjustment knob sticks out quite a bit. If you're right handed, it gets to stickin' ya.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hammer31
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Hammer31 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:10 am

16" S&W MP15 with MagPul stock, forend, vertical fore grip and pistol grip.
I have the stock MagPul BUIS rear and fixed front sights paired with a Vortex red-dot (nice but a tad big).
Surefire light on the right side with an offset mount that allows me to hit the button from underneath without moving my grip. It does wash out the right side of the rifle if I shoot it weak hand.
All the mags are MagPuls and I have never had an issue with them not dropping clear. I only have 6 USGI mags for ammo storage since I had them from the Army along with their bandoleer.
I run two slings, a single point sling during competitions and a it wears a generic three point at the house. Not really happy with either as they are pretty mission specific and not a general use item.
The only other thing that I run is a magazine pouch on the stock of the rifle for when I have it at home in the safe. Loaded mag with the rifle if I have to pull it out of the safe for defensive use. This comes off (along with the light) for competitions.
One of the eighty.

Of every one-hundred men,
Ten shouldn't even be there.
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters....
We are lucky to have them,
They make the battle. Ah, but one,
One of them is a Warrior....
He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

Return to “What Would You Do?”