what is you SHTF AR15 and what do you have on it?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 pm

what brand,optics, and add ons do you have? what advice do you have for me? any pitfalls can you guys help me from falling into?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: what is you SHTF AR15 and what do you have on it?

Post by Jeriah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:30 am

First, read this: http://www.milcopptactical.com/fighting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then, read this: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=60336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, to answer your question:

My SHTF AR15 is an old ban-era Bushmaster XM15E2S, A2 carry handle, no muzzle threads. When the ban sunsetted I added an M4 stock, because I could, but frankly there was nothing wrong with the A2 stock. Here is ALL YOU NEED on a defensive AR-15:

1. MOST IMPORTANT: A modern two-point sling, such as the Viking Tactics VTAC, the Blue Force Gear VCAS, or the ARES. The ARES is the new hotness, but the other two are fine. I use the VTAC because I bought it before the ARES came out; I'd buy an ARES if I was doing it now. (Single-point slings are fine if ALL YOU'RE DOING is like dynamic entry shit, but if you have to do real life shit like admin tasks, eating, etc., with your rifle handy, the modern 2-point reigns supreme.) To mount the sling, I use a Blue Force Gear UWL (Universal Wire Loop) up front, and the sling slots on my M4 stock in back.

2. SECOND MOST IMPORTANT: A white light. You don't want to mistake your neighbor with Parkinson's for a shambling zombie. I use a Surefire G2 Nitrolon on a Viking Tactics polymer mount, attached to a small piece of aluminum rail that screws directly into the factory polymer hand guards. I had a quad rail on there but ditched it because it was a fucking boat anchor and I didn't need all that rail space. If I want to add a VFG I'll get a second piece of rail on the lower hand guard for that. Fine without a VFG for now, but in the above-linked shit Dave makes a good case for why they can make sense. Optional, not vital.

3. Third: A red dot sight. Mine is a cheapo on an A2 carry handle mount. I do not recommend it; I use it because it's what I have, and because I have good (factory, A2) iron sights that I can use if it takes a dump. I plan on replacing it with an Aimpoint Micro eventually. Anything by Aimpoint, EOTech, or Trijicon is well-regarded. Anything else is rolling the dice. Mine works for now at the range, but I wouldn't recommend anything other than those three brands.

VFG is optional. Bipod on a fighting carbine is tits on a bull. Lasers...no comment.

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 am

They are frankengun home builds. Top one is mine, bottom belongs to the missus

Mine has had a few upgrades since this photo was taken but the parts list for both are....

Top rifle: 20"DMR build. 20" Krieger heavy weight barrel 5.56 chamber,fluted, threaded, target crowned, YHM Phantom muzzle break, YHM flip front sight, YHM 12" quad rail handguard ( free float), Upper is a American Spirit Arms, Lower is a Firebird Precision, Mil-spec M-16 bolt carrier, LMT upgraded bolt, Spikes Tactical T2 heavy buffer, Mil-Spec FCG (Standard trigger and hammer that have been honed and stoned to a 4.5# pull weight), CAA HK style foregrip, CAA Upgraded carbine stock, bubba rigged 120 lumen light, MagPul MOE pistol grip( new addition after photo), Harris Bipod ( new addition), Millet DMS-1 Optic(new addition), MI rear sight, Tridjicon front sight, MagPul 20rnd Pmag.

OAL with stock in my preferred setting is 38", weight is 13lbs 9oz.

This rig is accurate ( .5 MOA or less depending on load, climate conditions, and shooters skill level) out to a maximum of 400-500yds. At 100yds it can print 5 shot groups into one ragged cluster smaller than a dime. It recoils like a BB gun due to its extreme ( for a AR) weight.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Bottom 16" M-4 build BCM M-4 upper with a 16" Krieger mid weight barrel W/ M-4 cut on it, standard front sight tower with a rail adapter and a barska light, Trijicon front sight, YHM Phanton Muzzle brake, Plum Crazy Lower, Mil-spec M-16 bolt carrier, LMT upgraded bolt, Spikes Tactical T2 heavy buffer, Mil-Spec FCG (Standard trigger and hammer that have been honed and stoned to a 4.5# pull weight), Ergo grip pistol grip, standard handguards with a YHM rail adapter, MagPul MOE fore grip, CAA stock saddle and a M-203 recoil pad, Bushnell ACOG clone red dot sight, MI rear sight.

OAL is around 30-33" depending on what the missus wants it at, weight is 5lbs 8ozs.

This rig has more recoil and is not as accurate at range, but it is very fast on target, pleasant to carry, and real easy to maneuver in and around vehicles and buildings. Accuracy is 1 MOA.

This is one reason I love my job, it lets me build and tinker with my guns until I find the "Ideal" rifles for myself and my family.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

Supraman762

Post by Supraman762 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 am

Nice link jeriah

Ghost_Jaws

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 am

I kept mine nice and simple, just a Bushmaster M4A2 with a few extra mags. The iron sights work well enough to make a milk jug dance at 50 yards and I hit the 300 yard target 3 out of 4 times on average. No batteries to replace and nothing to really knock out of alignment or break = better for lean and harsh times. Batteries die and glass is fragile, and when the SHTF those are 2 things I don't really want to deal with when it comes to collecting food or personal protection.

A lot of people are fans of expensive/complex kits, I am not really. Give me something simple and that works, then give me the time/ammo to get good with it. You'll probably be a lot better off with 600 rounds to practice with than with a $250 scope.

The artist formerly known as Agent_Jaws. RIP old profile...

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

Brandr

Post by Brandr » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 pm

My AR15 is an Aero precision Lower with a Rock River single stage trigger, Magpul Miad grip and commercial M4 stock and buffer tube, Rock River flat top upper with Matech rear sight, 1:7 twist chrome lined heavy carbine barrel with a 5.56 chamber, Walther PS22 red dot, Yankee Hill gas block/flip up front sight, KZ rail front handguard, and a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash supressor. Currently I am also building one quite similar for my wife.
Sic Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 pm

I'll play. Only because I'm proud of it and like showing it off. It's a frankenbuild with high end parts. DD 11.5in barrel, Troy TRX Extreme tube, magpul CTR stock, DD lower parts kit, mega lower, BCM gunfighter charging handle, BCM bolt/bolt carrier group, H2 buffer, Fenix TK-10 light in a VTAC mount, EoTech 554, Troy front and YHM rear flip ups.

Simple, light, quick, and effective for my purposes. It's my duty rifle and my go to for anything on two legs.

vedearduff
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by vedearduff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Mine is a work in progress.

Here is the starting point, a stock Stag M2.

I will be replacing the furniture with MagPul items. I'll be going with the MOE had guard, MIAD pistol grip, and either the ACS-L or the SCT stock. I'll use the MagPul light mounting kit to mount my light, probably a Surefire unit. My optic will be an Aimpoint, I'm on the fence between the T1 ant the PRO.

I'll be adding a good two point sling, not sure yet which one. I already have an assortment of GI 20 and 30 rounders (pre ban) and PMag 30 rounders.

I also have a .22 LR conversion unit.

Vernon

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:47 am

I sort of feel the need to defend my rifles a bit, yes they are filed with bells and whistles but... Please keep in mind that I am a gunsmith and that I tend to throw little upgrades and tricks into all my guns, they are my test bed for what I recommend to customers. I figure that if its good enough for me to use personally I have no qualms about recommending it to a customer. I prefer light triggers and, at least for my guns, optics. I will point out that the rifle that I built for use with a red dot sight also has iron sights that are co-witnessed with the optic.

Just felt the need to clarify.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:28 am

My SHTF has a millet DMS-1 1-4x scope, an M3 illuminator and a grip-pod my sling is just a plain ol' US-GI.... and I painted it multi cam.
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:06 am

PSA 10.5" CHF brl, PSA upper, lower, Troy buttstock, MOE handguards, Insight M3x light, MI front sight, YHM A1 rear sight, Aimpoint Micro, DD mount and a Innovative Arms Mini Grunt can. Simple 2 point sling.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:59 pm

DrR200, im working on putting a 1/8 twist stainels bbl on it (14.5 or .7 depending on flash hider to bring up to 16.2 or so) storm works free flat rail, magpul UBR stock with an ace folding adapter, trigger is as of yet undecided (input is appreciated im thanking super single action or three gun) ... need to find some one who has a few different ones to play around with, and once there made again and original style grip (till there not just a moded ergo grip), flash hider will ether be a surefire break (set up to mount a suppressor when i stop being cheep and fill out the forms and get one) or an aac flash hider/break.... optics, im thanking trijicon acupoint and irons (there semi a1 style and i love them), mags are gonna be steel gi style (not hk) and sling im looking at aries or anther advanced two point (played with single and it was fun, and adguested i currently use a two point like most three (add a qd mount and you can do it really well). not an AR but close
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Since I've been shooting it the most here lately, it'd be this one:

SWFA 1-4x SS optic, 16" BCM midlength upper with PRI FF tube, Troy BUIS, Failzero BCG, Geissele SSA-E trigger.
Last edited by RickOShea on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Ghost_Jaws wrote:I kept mine nice and simple, just a Bushmaster M4A2 with a few extra mags. The iron sights work well enough to make a milk jug dance at 50 yards and I hit the 300 yard target 3 out of 4 times on average. No batteries to replace and nothing to really knock out of alignment or break = better for lean and harsh times. Batteries die and glass is fragile, and when the SHTF those are 2 things I don't really want to deal with when it comes to collecting food or personal protection.

A lot of people are fans of expensive/complex kits, I am not really. Give me something simple and that works, then give me the time/ammo to get good with it. You'll probably be a lot better off with 600 rounds to practice with than with a $250 scope.
Sounds like you're a big fan of "KISS" carbines.

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Ghost_Jaws wrote:I kept mine nice and simple, just a Bushmaster M4A2 with a few extra mags. The iron sights work well enough to make a milk jug dance at 50 yards and I hit the 300 yard target 3 out of 4 times on average. No batteries to replace and nothing to really knock out of alignment or break = better for lean and harsh times. Batteries die and glass is fragile, and when the SHTF those are 2 things I don't really want to deal with when it comes to collecting food or personal protection.

Sounds like you're a big fan of "KISS" carbines.

That is pure awesome. I also want a Metallica one and a Megadeth themed AK.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Why not :lol:

Noveske 14.5 basic
Centurion C4 rail
Thorntail/Surefire L4
Ares
R1
DD 1.5

Etc...
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:01 pm

LMT 14.5 Upper, pinned on compensator to make it non-NFA.
RRA lower, milspec extension tube
XPS2 optic
White light
Ares Amentum Huskey sling.
Lots of mags.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Here's mine:

I've posted about it elsewhere but I love showing it off...

Spike's standard lower with a T2 buffer and a Magpul RST stock, MOE+ grip, MVFG and trigger guard.

Spike's 5.56 14.5 inch lightweight midlength barrel with a pinned Dynacomp. MOE handguard with IWC recessed quick detach sling mount, IWC light mount and a Surefire light.

All in tasteful, yet elegant Flat Dark Earth. Scientifically proven to increase accuracy and reliability by 22%.

The optics are a Magpul MBUIS and a new-to-me Eotech 512. Both of these work far better than I ever imagined, consistent one inch groups, off-hand at 25 yards, as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Last week I got an enhanced VTAC sling (If only I knew all the cool kids were buying ARES!!!). It is really nice and leaves the rifle exactly where I need it.

I am giddy with joy at how well and reliably this light and handy thing shoots. There have been about six hundred rounds through it, cleaned twice, and not a single (Zip, zilch, nada) jam.

ETA: This is my third AR and potentially my favorite.
Last edited by Dabster on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Del-Ton M4 upper
PSA lower
Del-Ton parts kit
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 pm

what bands should I avoid? should i go milspec? what is the cloest AR I can get in the way of parts to the M4?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:01 pm

vegasguy wrote:what bands should I avoid? should i go milspec? what is the cloest AR I can get in the way of parts to the M4?
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 16&t=74337

Palmetto State Armory gets good reviews, but Arch wrote the above thread before PSA was a know quantity (hence, PSA was not included).

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:26 pm

My AR set up is a Spikes Tactical, with EOTech, and CMMG BUIS.

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:51 pm

HK 416 URG/Colt lower
Lmt Stock
Eo XPS
Troy BUIS
SF M300C with SR07 on S&S mount 2 o'clock
Two point adjustable sling (ATS, VTAC or custom VCAS)
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Gadsden_63

Post by Gadsden_63 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:15 pm

S&W MP 15 sport
Magpul MOE forestock, fore grip, and tac stock in dark earth
Tru glo holo sight with backup iron sights

Return to “What Would You Do?”