Occupy Wall Street is scheduled to picket my work tomorrow..

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NeverReady

Occupy Wall Street is scheduled to picket my work tomorrow..

Post by NeverReady » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:02 pm

We are still expected to come in, so what are some things I should consider in conducting myself? Anyone been in a situation like this? I heard that these guys set a K-Mart on fire, and I live in a state with the highest unemployment in the country, so the turn out could be huge, though we are in the middle of no where.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Occupy Wall Street is scheduled to picket my work tomorr

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Bring a video camera. If there is a confrontation brewing, video it to protect yourself. Avoid confrontation and maintain a high situational awareness.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:09 pm

NeverReady wrote:We are still expected to come in, so what are some things I should consider in conducting myself? Anyone been in a situation like this? I heard that these guys set a K-Mart on fire, and I live in a state with the highest unemployment in the country, so the turn out could be huge, though we are in the middle of no where.
There's a lot of hype going around on all sides of these protests, a good place to start would be to take what you're heard with a grain of salt, the vast majority of these protests have been non-violent. That said, keep your wits about you and use common sense.
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I'd be in heightened state of awareness

I'd probably find a parking lot that's not associated with the work place to park at for the day. Depending on your hours, go in early and leave late to avoid them

Other than that probably not much since the police are usually not far behind them
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:22 pm

its really hard to say what to expect. I personally would bring some extra water and protein bars and a flashlight or something like that in case you are stuck there over night for some reason. I would expect it to stay somewhat peaceful but you never really know, I don't know what line of work your in which may make a difference in the protest at your work (i'm not asking you to tell if you don't want to but it could change the scenario) . I don't know what your shift is but if you normally get there for 6 maybe you could get there at 5 and get in before any protesters even get there. Or if its feasible call out sick and enjoy the day. I think your best bet is to avoid any face to face with the protest. If you go to work and they are all ready gathered I would think it would be in your best interest to basically ignore them. I wouldn't communicate with them at all if they are angry something you say could put them just past the line and make the situation worse.

Most of that though is all leaning towards worst case, maybe you'll just have some people hanging around with signs and chanting some catch phrase over and over again with out incident.

Hope all goes well stay safe and please update us with the events of the day.
NRA Firearms Instructor and LIFE Member
2nd Amendment America's original Homeland Security
Molon Labe

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried. Camera is a good idea. Also might not hurt to meet up with coworkers before hand and walk in together.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:11 pm

they want to fight the system not those who are used by the system. so there should be no problem, but as the others said meet with your coworker and bring a camera, it should be good.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Unassigned
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead
Zombieland
Night Of The Living Dead
Diary Of The Dead
Resident Evil 1-4

Post by Unassigned » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:13 pm

jamoni wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried. Camera is a good idea. Also might not hurt to meet up with coworkers before hand and walk in together.
^^^This.

Go in a group and go in early, as you can expect the crowd to have gathered well before you show up.
I am AR/Glock AND 1911*gasp!*/Blue Wire/Pie/Coke/Ford/Chuck Norris
Jeriah wrote:And for the record, I once had a GREAT time at a gay bar in New York.
ZSC:029 - North East Ohio Zombie Squad - Founding Member, Chapter Officer.

Post by 1776 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Rent some ginormous speakers and blast Slayer all day. Hippies hate Slayer.... But really, as others have said bring a camera to protect yourself if something happens. Also, if your job requires a suit and tie, that could make you stand out and draw the ire of some in the crowd. If possible dress casual and change once inside. Mabey pack an extra meal in case you get stuck there longer than expected. Aside from all the noise it'll probably be just another work day. Just listen to your instincts and you should be fine.
There's always some motherfucker trying to ice skate uphill...

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Know your enemy. Visit these guys web site, facebook page, and twitter feeds. You can't know everything but you at least get an idea of what they have planned.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

mough

Post by mough » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 am

I like the idea of wearing casual and changing at work. Better yet, Dress like one of them. Dirty flannel over a 60's rock band /che/ Hammer and sickle /CCCP/tie die/... Tshirt and roughed up blue jeans.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:27 am

mough wrote:I like the idea of wearing casual and changing at work. Better yet, Dress like one of them. Dirty flannel over a 60's rock band /che/ Hammer and sickle /CCCP/tie die/... Tshirt and roughed up blue jeans.
Yeah, totally. Some bell bottoms, and a fringed leather vest with some hemp sandals, rose colored glasses, and big flower power face paint would also be appropriate. :roll:
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:38 am

Dress like a homeless person and smear excrement all over yourself. That way no one will notice you and if they do, they won't want to get near you! :lol:

This is just a joke! Not to be taken seriously! LOL! :lol:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:05 am

I am going to bet you will be fine. A good friend of mine is an investment banker on Wall St. He walked through them every day. With the exception of taunting, nothing happened. There were plenty of confrontations with pedestrians though-but, I think one of their strategies is to taunt you, provoke response, then escalate. So, dont feed into it, and you are good.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Takaaco78

Post by Takaaco78 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 am

Walk into the crowd and yell "they are giving away free coffee at starbucks 3 blocks away" and they will instatly dissappear.
“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.” – Mark Twain

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Kommander wrote:Know your enemy. Visit these guys web site, facebook page, and twitter feeds. You can't know everything but you at least get an idea of what they have planned.
Who says their enemies anyway.. Join em!
-skelco

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Kommander wrote:Know your enemy. Visit these guys web site, facebook page, and twitter feeds. You can't know everything but you at least get an idea of what they have planned.
I'm betting they're planning a protest. Alternatively you could try not thinking of them in terms of enemies, unless you /want/ a provocation.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 pm

skelco wrote:
Somehow I don't see that ending well for the OP. Enemies may be too harsh term, but I do not consider those who would protest where I work to be friends.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Kommander wrote:
skelco wrote:
Somehow I don't see that ending well for the OP. Enemies may be too harsh term, but I do not consider those who would protest where I work to be friends.
I guess it depends on where you work
-skelco

-Hunter S. Thompson

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great Ideas. Certainly out of the box.
ODA 226 wrote:Dress like a homeless person and smear excrement all over yourself. That way no one will notice you and if they do, they won't want to get near you! :lol:
I would suggest chocolate pudding or icing rather than excrement. If done right it looks the same and you can get an extra gross out factor by eating it in front of them. :twisted:
Takaaco78 wrote:Walk into the crowd and yell "they are giving away free coffee at starbucks 3 blocks away" and they will instatly dissappear.
So what happened neverready?

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Where I work you'd be gone. Luckily no one has decided to mess with the armored transport industry. I really should discuss contingencys with the security guy though. Also why would you work at a place you want to protest anyway?

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:28 pm

ODA 226 wrote:Dress like a homeless person and smear excrement all over yourself. That way no one will notice you and if they do, they won't want to get near you! :lol:

The Myth Of The Brown Man strikes again!
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Kommander wrote:Where I work you'd be gone. Luckily no one has decided to mess with the armored transport industry. I really should discuss contingencys with the security guy though. Also why would you work at a place you want to protest anyway?
If you work in an office building with a lot of tenants the odds are good one tenant at some point will get picketed.
Last edited by raptor on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Kommander wrote:Also why would you work at a place you want to protest anyway?
People protest against their own employers all the time, union or not, sometimes it's the only way to address an issue.
-skelco

-Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “What Would You Do?”