Worst places to be when TSHTF

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

Re: Worst places to be when TSHTF

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed May 06, 2015 1:09 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
bcvojak wrote:In Denial. . . .

That will enable the first wave of deaths. . .

Too many people living their lives in "condition white". When something bad happens, they will be like deer in the headlights, unable to accept what is happening right in front of them. . .
That's witty, I like this answer!!!
Not to be a smart ass but I have seen quite a few gung ho, tactical types panic or completely freeze up when something bad happens. Condition white or condition deep purple...It don't matter. When that 50 foot wave of fanned shit is coming at you, deer of every color are either going to run in the opposite direction, panic and run in a circle, or be stuck in a shock and awe moment and just stare at it. Unless its not your first SHTF rodeo, you are not going to know what you will do until it happens.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:03 am

Bearcat wrote:Not sure if anyone has said it yet or not, but DC and NYC would probably be the two worst places.
DC has a dozen or so COG facilities surrounding it,not to mention several military bases. A large percentage of the Federal employees and contractors are either military or ex military. Many military even retire there.

There are far, far, far worse places to be than the DC area during SHTF.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:35 pm

Yeah, but just because you live in DC doesn't mean you're getting on base or in a CoG facility if the zombies start getting nibbly.
It can always get worse.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:36 pm

DFWMTX wrote:Yeah, but just because you live in DC doesn't mean you're getting on base or in a CoG facility if the zombies start getting nibbly.
Yeah, what happens if someone gets nibbly inside one of those secure areas ?

For me, it'd be anywhere where a large group of people are. Like a mall, stores during major sales events or sporting events.

Example, last year I spent a few hours at the local Walmart for the pre-Black Friday sales. As I'm waiting in line to get the hell out of there, I thought to myself "Man, if the zombie apocalypse was to start right now, I'd be totally screwed."

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:09 pm

DFWMTX wrote:Yeah, but just because you live in DC doesn't mean you're getting on base or in a CoG facility if the zombies start getting nibbly.

I'm not planning on getting into a COG facility, I'm more thinking about how the government would make every effort to secure the area outside of it.

Supervisor42

Post by Supervisor42 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:07 pm

raistlin wrote:Given the current drought trends, California. If the electricity goes off and water can't be pumped, millions of people across the state will be fighting for water in a short matter of time, even in the rural areas. I guess the upside is if one could survive a few weeks of that, the population would be decimated, making survival a bit easier for those who are left.
I don't want to be considered a California-basher so I'm glad you stepped off in it first :clap:.
Even without the current drought, everything you said is true.
Too many people, not enough resources. Dehydration is not a good way to die; for the love of simple water that falls from the sky.
Our people are so used to SHTF that it's just another "the power's off again, how many days this time?" drill.
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 am

Being stuck any place where large crowds naturally form is the first one. So large events like concerts, fairs, 4th of July fireworks.

Also if it should happen during the week because my husband works, I work, and my son is being watched by grandma. So we are in three different locations. I'm just glad I work close to grandma.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

bkz81

Post by bkz81 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 am

Skydeck in the Sears Tower.

MTGrizzly

Post by MTGrizzly » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:19 pm

T_Town_Prepper wrote:True that Stra8shooter, a hospital in a zombie SHTF is a no no. :)
Have you every been in a hospital pharmacy? They are full of schedule II drugs-Narcotics; so they are built like fortresses-steel walls, steel doors, bullet resistant glass. Short of an artillery shell, isn't anyone coming in you don't invite. They're, typically, located in the center of the hospital building for a reason. I'd hole up, steal all the antibiotics, IV fluids and other necessary, non-perishable drugs, etc.

To keep humans away, I'd throw out a case of Oxycontin® every once in awhile, through a vent. The attackers would all get high and forget about attacking me. A hospital pharmacy would be a wonderful place to 'shelter in place' until you could get out and away. And, if you have any training, the meds are going to make you really popular and make others want to protect you.

As far as the drawbacks, a hospital pharmacy wouldn't be any worse than any other enclosed area.

Mad Dog Jones
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of th Living Dead(colorized)1968;
Dawn of th Dead(1978);
Day of th Dead(1985);
Night of th Living Dead(remake)1990;
Dawn of th Dead;
Land of th Dead;
Day of th Dead;
Diary of th Dead;
Survival of th Dead;
Remains by Steve Niles;
Dance of th Dead by Gregg Bishop;
State of Emergency by Turner Clay;
Night of th Comet;
Automation Transfusion;
Gangs of th Dead;
Planet Terror;
Zombieland;
28 Days Later;
28 Week Later;
Days of Darkness;
Gangsters,Guns, and Zombies;
etc.etc...

Post by Mad Dog Jones » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Well, who ever is standing in front of th fan, gets covered with th most S, self sacrifice can be admirable, thank you. Zday th absolute worst location world wide is in th center of th largest, most densely populated place on earth, Tokyo Japan. As far as general building type locations, probably th hospital in spite of th one way in or out pharmacy trap. Maybe Times Square on new years eve. It really does depend on th specifics of disaster type, and time of year. On 911 th worst place to be was in th twin towers.
Mathew22:35-We are our own worst enemies,-Mad Dog-And ego is it's name.
Th only valuable thing in existance is love, and yes, you can take it with you when you go. Nothing else really matters.-MadDog

ralfy

Post by ralfy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:56 am

In general, any place that has little access to adequate water, arable land and other materials to plant organically, etc.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:57 pm

On travel, in Las Vegas, with 50,000 of my closest friends, also on travel. Nobodies prepared for anything, uninhabitable without power, and nowhere nearby to go.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Supervisor42 wrote:
raistlin wrote:Given the current drought trends, California. If the electricity goes off and water can't be pumped, millions of people across the state will be fighting for water in a short matter of time, even in the rural areas. I guess the upside is if one could survive a few weeks of that, the population would be decimated, making survival a bit easier for those who are left.
I don't want to be considered a California-basher so I'm glad you stepped off in it first :clap:.
Too many people, not enough resources. Dehydration is not a good way to die; for the love of simple water that falls from the sky.
Our people are so used to SHTF that it's just another "the power's off again, how many days this time?" drill.
3rd it L. A. ( or nearly anywhere else in Calicrazy) Look at how F d up they are on FTWD
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 pm

XDMready wrote:I think the worst place could be depending on what your needs and resources are. Personally I think the worst place to be would be near a large metropolitan center. If there was a need for a mass evacuation the whole thing would just shut down and people would tear each other to pieces.
It is likely to take less than a zombie apocalypse for what remains of a functioning military and government to blow bridges and contain large cities rather than evacuate them.

Large long running natural disaster with persistent food shortages and cities such as NYC would be a powder keg where they might make some attempts at getting some people out, with that petering of into only letting out people willing to work on farms and such, leading to them eventually(probably fairly quickly/immediately since I can guarantee you that there are people in government that has gone through the same train of thought that I just wrote) being closed of completely.

It wouldn't take a zombie outbreak for this to happen.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:34 am

any place where there are other people, in an emergency its other people and how they act and behave which will determine who lives and who dies.

FreeThought

Post by FreeThought » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Supervisor42 wrote:

While this is undoubtedly true within the context of the greater L.A. basin , the SF Bay Area and the Sacramento or San Diego areas one needs to keep in mind that it's a very large state with a wide variance in terrain and quite a lot of areas that are relatively unpopulated.

As an example the Yolla Bolly /Middle Eel Wilderness areas would be a fine choice as a locale to ride out a " Zombie Apocalypse" , as would a goodly portion of the Sierras from Camp Nelson on up. Of course the Valley floor i.e. Bakersfield to the Sacramento Delta would revert to desert , that's a given , but far northern Calif would prove to have certain advantages.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:06 pm

MTGrizzly wrote:
T_Town_Prepper wrote:True that Stra8shooter, a hospital in a zombie SHTF is a no no. :)
Have you every been in a hospital pharmacy? They are full of schedule II drugs-Narcotics; so they are built like fortresses-steel walls, steel doors, bullet resistant glass. Short of an artillery shell, isn't anyone coming in you don't invite. They're, typically, located in the center of the hospital building for a reason. I'd hole up, steal all the antibiotics, IV fluids and other necessary, non-perishable drugs, etc.

To keep humans away, I'd throw out a case of Oxycontin® every once in awhile, through a vent. The attackers would all get high and forget about attacking me. A hospital pharmacy would be a wonderful place to 'shelter in place' until you could get out and away. And, if you have any training, the meds are going to make you really popular and make others want to protect you.

As far as the drawbacks, a hospital pharmacy wouldn't be any worse than any other enclosed area.

A hospital pharmacy would be way worse.

First its in a hospital. She first place every panicked injured person will be going to get help. The very next place every junkie will go to to get high after his dealer and the the local pharmacy are dry. Add to that all the other drug dependent people out there who find that their local pharma is closed for the next month and need their heart meds and diabetic meds.

Second just how long do you think your lunch pail of food is going to last you?

If I was a drug dealer and went to the hospital to rob it and you of all people denied me anything I would vow to wait you out and kill you when you came out to get food.
If I couldn't do that I would drop back to my second idea of just saying well if I can't have it no one else can and burn the place down.

Don't plan on making deals with criminals for your personal survival. They don't care about you and don't see a need to make a deal when they can either have it all at no cost or just kill you.

Add in the chance of the place catching fire from some random accident or a wondering 'trash can man' and locked inside is not a good idea.

Volunteering to stay at the nexus of the shit tornado is not a good plan. Even randomly getting trapped in a wallmart during a riot gives me a better chance of survival.

Now if all your worried about is the random terrorist or shooter then your bunker in a hospital is a fine idea.

NerdtasticNick
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead(1985), 28 weeks later, Return of the Living Dead, Dead Snow 2 : Red vs Dead

Post by NerdtasticNick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:35 am

I think the worst place I'd want to be other than on an airplane, or travelling abroad, is at one of my work sites. I'm in security and I work at a large industrial complex on the outskirts of my town. No weapons or anything on site, not even at the security office. I have a small folding knife because I pass that off as a tool. There's my get home bag in my car. Even so travelling home from the site means going through the busiest street and the busiest section of town to get back to my neighborhood. Regardless of TSHTF scenario. Terrorist attack, epidemic, zombies, natural disaster, etc. getting home through the assured chaos of the city would be hell.

That's how I see it for everyday scenario.
We Do what we like and we like what we do.

Guiltyofbeingtight

Post by Guiltyofbeingtight » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:56 am

I currently live in the Bay Area and am counting the days until we move back to the PNW. Despite having a veggie garden and solar power and my preps, I don't feel like this would be a great place. My long term preps aren't here and I don't know the area that well. Water would be an issue after about a week. Worse for me I think would be if I were at work here. It's over 20 minutes away and traffic is awful as it is. The parking lots and gates and ONE exit from my work campus would be a nightmare. :ohdear: Dear Apocalypse, if you have to happen in my lifetime please wait until after July. Thank you.

HD_Harold

Post by HD_Harold » Sat May 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Worst place to be is in a city. Being in the same 20 square miles as 1,000,000 other people when SHTF is not a good idea.

Return to “What Would You Do?”