Small town... bug out, or bug in?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Hunkabilly
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night Of The Living Dead, Original Dawn Of The Dead.

Re: Small town... bug out, or bug in?

Post by Hunkabilly » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Here is my 2 cents on emergency EDC food, I bought a pouch of tuna, a small pouch of almonds and a small pouch of beef jerky and combined them all into a food saver bag and sealed them closed. I made sure the expiration dates are visible so i can rotate the stock and use the home made MRE before the expiration dates. Most of the listed about have a shelf life of two years so I really only have to think about it rarely.
Complacency Kills.

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:48 pm

I live in a town of a little over 6,000 people. My first choice would be to bug in. My neighborhood was calm and peaceful after Hurricane Ike, so I'm not too worried about the people around me.

SoldierFerox

Post by SoldierFerox » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:48 pm

Hunkabilly wrote:Here is my 2 cents on emergency EDC food, I bought a pouch of tuna, a small pouch of almonds and a small pouch of beef jerky and combined them all into a food saver bag and sealed them closed. I made sure the expiration dates are visible so i can rotate the stock and use the home made MRE before the expiration dates. Most of the listed about have a shelf life of two years so I really only have to think about it rarely.

This.

I have a bunch of canned foods and other goodies stored up in my basement. If need be, and the expiration dates are close to expiring, I just eat it, and restock. I mean hey, it was going to be eaten at some point. Better good now than expired and rotten later, eh?

Ferox
Ferox; Joined September 26th, 2011.
Jeriah wrote:My plan involves getting out of the building, not sitting in the bathroom huffing day-old farts through the toilet. Your mileage may vary.

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Bug In.

If I'm bugging out, my chances at survival have profoundly decreased. I have a BOL with an inventory as well as a plan on how my family gets there if some kind of disaster took place but I have more supplies at home and I obviously know my AO a lot better. I'm staying put unless the risk of staying is greater than leaving.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Munich
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, shaun of the dead,

Post by Munich » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:03 am

@Pondo,
Would you recommend staying near a source of water such as a river? I live uphill from one, although many people will probably try to go close to this river. Great fishing and hunting too.
"A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality."
Winston Churchill

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:53 am

Rivers are s natural highway.
They are also a natural dumping spot as history and current events tell us. Duringany major disaster involving water you will have large floaty things going down river.things you don't really want in your drinking water or any water really you touch. It will also be
A natural barrier and you never know what will be traveling along the shore looking for a way to cross.
That said.there is a reason that every civilization n builds on the shores of rivers.there are s lot of benefits.
myself I'll find a nice creek where i can check that no one is pooping up stream.

All spelling and grammar errors the fault of my phone.
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:56 pm

CamCub3d wrote:
Nutpantz wrote:Is your water bottle plastic or stainless steel. Steel is a little heavier but you can boil in it.wrap some hay wire or any steel wire to hang it like a pot. wrap a lot of wire you can use for game snares or other things.Then you can mix up your food a bit with dry soup.don't forget soap to clean the bottle. Try to have things that have more than one use s often add possible. Ie Shaving mirror /signal mirror.
Add a couple of big big garbage bags.good for every thing from bedding to rain cover to sleeping bag.
Add rope.you can always use rope.

Its a plastic one (for now), and I didnt think about wire... will have to add that in.

I just put some dish soap in my kit, along with some dry soup and some rope.

I might pick up some paracord tomorrow and some heavy duty trash bags.

Thanks for the help!
'
I'd add a small pot / canteen cup to cook/boil water, some matches/lighter. Those bullion cubes taste way better hot.

I'll second the drop the bars, add tuna, SPAM! slices, coffee or tea if you drink such.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:29 pm

CamCub3d wrote:Im not sure if this is where this post belongs, but anyway...

I live in a small town (pop. around 1000), and was just wondering what would be better. To bug out or just to stay in place? I live in a small apartment on the second floor of a tv repair shop with only one entrance/exit (a set of stairs leading outside) There is dead bolts on the stair doors and on my apartment door. I have enough food for about a week or so, and about 20 gallons of water saved up. What would you all do?
I'd bug in. What is the community like in that town? I ask because one of the best bug-in preps you can make is to connect with your community and maintain good relationships with your neighbors and local authorities. If your town doesn't have a strong sense of community, then I'd suggest trying to organize community-building events, like block parties, barbecues, Street v Street baseball games, etc. 400 people working together have a much better chance of survival than 400 individuals looking out for #1.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

CamCub3d
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later, Resident Evil (Series), George Romero's Dead series, Zombi, Re-Animator, Biohazard, The Crazies, Zombieland.... too many to list

Post by CamCub3d » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:26 am

The town is mostly older religious folk, mixed with crack heads and a few "normal" people. We do have street dances on occasion, but I doubt I would be able to put anything together. Im pretty sure if the shtf the town would just crumble.... any disaster would do it. When we had the fire a couple years ago it was so hectic, people were flocking just to watch as the emergency personnel were trying to put it out. I am pretty good friends with most of the police officers in town, so I feel safe there. There is a small group of us (around 10-15 people) who are semi-prepared for things, also a local officer is also in with the whole "prepare for the zombies, you prepare for everything" But I honestly do not feel safe in my hometown... and the only reason I would bug in is to protect my family and friends.
"But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you." Valerie's Autobiography from "V for Vendetta"

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 am

I say bug in unless something is going to make you bug out.

Lets start with a few questions.

Do you have a BOL that you can go too? if no bug in. If yes, is it better then where you are now? if no, bug in. If yes, Can you actually get there if things are so bad you have to bug out. If no, bug in. If yes, go for it after all its your decision.

For the cost of a BOV and BOL what kind of improvements could you have made at home. For all the time planning on where to run too, how much time could you have dedicated to networking in your community. If the shumer was shredded by some fan blades, I wouldnt want to be off by myself bugging out. Preferably also not bugging in alone.

The only plus to going it alone is the guard schedule is easy to plan.
Beretta accept no substitute.

Dlongmuir

Post by Dlongmuir » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Bug in. Destroy the stairs and use a ladder to get down when u need more supplies that illiminates the fear of zombies breaking down ur door. That'd be my choice :D
ZSC:022
Connecticut
My bov: 1988 dodge w250

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:41 pm

CamCub3d wrote:The town is mostly older religious folk, mixed with crack heads and a few "normal" people. We do have street dances on occasion, but I doubt I would be able to put anything together. Im pretty sure if the shtf the town would just crumble.... any disaster would do it. When we had the fire a couple years ago it was so hectic, people were flocking just to watch as the emergency personnel were trying to put it out. I am pretty good friends with most of the police officers in town, so I feel safe there. There is a small group of us (around 10-15 people) who are semi-prepared for things, also a local officer is also in with the whole "prepare for the zombies, you prepare for everything" But I honestly do not feel safe in my hometown... and the only reason I would bug in is to protect my family and friends.
Bug in. At home, you know who you can trust (or not) and how far. Wander less than an hour away into my neck of our AO, and not only do you loose that advantage, you likely don't know which streets take you into the neighborhoods you don't want to be in.

Sorry about the social situation - it's one reason we ultimately did leave our little bitty town and move into the big city, but anytime I really think about disaster planning I wish I were back there. You know the cops and at least one is a prepper? Leverage that. Town that small, there's got to be places that need volunteers for something, which acquaints you with people (you don't have to agree with or like them). Any of the religious nuts like to shoot? Might be a common interest to get acqainted over. In my former town the churches were in on the disaster planning, to the point of keeping track of who'd need help in an evacuation from their congregation.

For the more common disasters, you've got a bag and you can make the bug in/out call based on specific circumstances. For the zombipocalypse you're already in a better place than I am.

OT My mom taught school a couple years in Rossville back when Moses was a boy.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

almcg2

Post by almcg2 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 pm

I would bug in for sure. Small town.... Easier to monitor who's coming and going. Easier to get cooperation among residents of small town than a large one. Easier to get teams set up for recon and security. Also easier to manage trainlng when needed.

Plazzman

Post by Plazzman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Bug in big time :)

I'm in a similar situation and I think it's perfect for zombie apocalypse :D I have enough food for a few weeks, enough water for a month or so. 200 rounds for my .308 w scope, about 3000 for my 200$ .22lr /w 300$ scope :o don't judge I imagine after 3-4 weeks after ZP (zombie apocalypse) I'd venture out for food and possibly some water and start clearing the area of zombies.

/endzombierant

But seriously I'd say bug in most of the time.

Frosty709
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them

Post by Frosty709 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 pm

You guys don't even know what a small town is. My towns pop. is just over 100 people :lol:

But I agree with the others, bug in. And if it all goes to sh*t, then bug out.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Sorry.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:
Follow me on twitter?

tiiijaaa

Post by tiiijaaa » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:39 pm

I'd bug in if you're in a small town, but have more than one escape exit. Only one door is a bad situation, as you can't get out if they are attempting to get in. Deadbolts or not...a door can be breached. Check windows for an alternate escape route. Second floor can be a tough jump, but a handy climbing rope with knots in it and something to secure it to inside will help. Try to find someplace relatively local that is in the country..a friend, relative or even an old abandoned farm will do. Have your bug out bag handy and leave in the dark if possible. Know how to find your way there. Firearm is an absolute necessity with extra ammo. Get to know your neighbors..visit them..befriend them..you may need them or they you, if the shtf.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 pm

CamCub3d wrote: I live in a small town (pop. around 1000), and was just wondering what would be better. To bug out or just to stay in place? I live in a small apartment on the second floor of a tv repair shop with only one entrance/exit (a set of stairs leading outside) There is dead bolts on the stair doors and on my apartment door. I have enough food for about a week or so, and about 20 gallons of water saved up. What would you all do?
Movement will be for two reasons,toward resources or away from danger.

Unless you are in danger by displaced people I would stay for the short term.
Find some one that lives out in the country.learn to garden,raise livestock, fish and hunt.
Go to church. It is not only about learning about god,but also interacting with your neighbors.
Sooner or latter you are going to run out of food. At that time I would move out to the country.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:43 am

Munich wrote:@Pondo,
Would you recommend staying near a source of water such as a river? I live uphill from one, although many people will probably try to go close to this river. Great fishing and hunting too.
Nutpantz wrote:Rivers are s natural highway.
They are also a natural dumping spot as history and current events tell us. Duringany major disaster involving water you will have large floaty things going down river.things you don't really want in your drinking water or any water really you touch. It will also be
A natural barrier and you never know what will be traveling along the shore looking for a way to cross.
That said.there is a reason that every civilization n builds on the shores of rivers.there are s lot of benefits.
myself I'll find a nice creek where i can check that no one is pooping up stream.

This. I live near a major river (just a few miles as the crow flies) but I'm saving up the money to drop a well. But if the shit went down tomorrow, I'd rather be two miles from an iffy source of water than 20. :wink:

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Yep.bad water is better than no water.
Up until ten years ago we had so much rain every year i would never had considered water an issue around me.now every sumner is a such a dry spell i have to wonder if i should double water storage. Even with a river nearby.

Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:38 pm

I say byug in. But if your saying there is only one way in and out, you had better come up with a second egress. Never allow yourself to be backing into a corner, especially in the ZPAW.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ActiveShooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, The Walking Dead (ok so it's a show and not a movie whatever it's still great!).

Post by ActiveShooter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

CamCub3d wrote:Im not sure if this is where this post belongs, but anyway...

I live in a small town (pop. around 1000), and was just wondering what would be better. To bug out or just to stay in place? I live in a small apartment on the second floor of a tv repair shop with only one entrance/exit (a set of stairs leading outside) There is dead bolts on the stair doors and on my apartment door. I have enough food for about a week or so, and about 20 gallons of water saved up. What would you all do?
In your situation I'd bug in. Which is why I'm trying to make my way to a "small town"...
Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness. -- James Thurber

hglucky13

Post by hglucky13 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey camcud i grew up not far from you in catlin , another small town, if i were you i would explore some of the farmland around you. Isn't there a river that goes just past you? If i remember right there is a lot resources around there. I would bug in as long as possible. But spend your free time exploring the area. My uncle lived near there on a farm and there was a lot of wildlife. Also kickapoo is not far from there. If you had to you could live off the land, i did a lot as a kid.
later
alan

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:32 pm

CamCub3d wrote:The town is mostly older religious folk, mixed with crack heads and a few "normal" people. We do have street dances on occasion, but I doubt I would be able to put anything together. Im pretty sure if the shtf the town would just crumble.... any disaster would do it. When we had the fire a couple years ago it was so hectic, people were flocking just to watch as the emergency personnel were trying to put it out. I am pretty good friends with most of the police officers in town, so I feel safe there. There is a small group of us (around 10-15 people) who are semi-prepared for things, also a local officer is also in with the whole "prepare for the zombies, you prepare for everything" But I honestly do not feel safe in my hometown... and the only reason I would bug in is to protect my family and friends.

Other than the "crack heads", it sounds like a relatively ideal place to bug in. You’ve got a small to moderate sized group of preppers, with contacts in local LE. Unless the "older religious folk" or "religious zealots" are ridiculously bad, IE witch hunts, it sounds like a good situation. Older, established families, especially those with firm religious convictions, are less likely to breakdown and start looting/rioting/etc as soon as the problems arise, in my opinion. The only real issue I see is the "crack heads", but in a town of 1000, more than likely most of them are known to the police, and can be handled appropriately if they cause problems.

However, you did say you do not feel safe. Without meaning to pry, why is that? Of the situation you have described, you're about as safe as can be expected.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 pm

My advice would be to build a food stock to last you at least three months. Pasta, rice, canned goods, PB, Honey, more rice.

Before the water supply goes out fill your bath tub and as many containers as you can but you should still have enough drinking water to last you for three months at the very least. 2.5 liters a day. Roughly 60 gallons (enough for one adult male), so triple what you already have.

Living in an apartment building your one major problem will be waste disposal.

Bug in for as long as possible (if at all possible), then bug out if needed. Someone mentioned to have a rope ladder ready. I couldn't agree more. Move at night. Sleep with one eye open, both boots on, and your finger near the trigger by day.

When bugging out have a plan, a means, and most importantly the will to survive.

Go buy some big bags of rice, some candles, and a few water containers. Then look at getting some nice durable and comfortable hiking boots if you don't have any already.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Return to “What Would You Do?”