Small town... bug out, or bug in?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CamCub3d
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later, Resident Evil (Series), George Romero's Dead series, Zombi, Re-Animator, Biohazard, The Crazies, Zombieland.... too many to list

Small town... bug out, or bug in?

Post by CamCub3d » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Im not sure if this is where this post belongs, but anyway...

I live in a small town (pop. around 1000), and was just wondering what would be better. To bug out or just to stay in place? I live in a small apartment on the second floor of a tv repair shop with only one entrance/exit (a set of stairs leading outside) There is dead bolts on the stair doors and on my apartment door. I have enough food for about a week or so, and about 20 gallons of water saved up. What would you all do?
"But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you." Valerie's Autobiography from "V for Vendetta"

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Small town... bug out, or bug in?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:49 pm

99% of the time, I'd say bug in. If something's coming that forces you to bug-out, then you better have a good BOL prepped.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

SoldierFerox

Post by SoldierFerox » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:56 pm

I think I'm a person who'd tend to bug in.
If you've been saving up surplus supplies, like most people should be doing, you wouldn't want to leave it all behind, would you?

Ferox
Ferox; Joined September 26th, 2011.
Jeriah wrote:My plan involves getting out of the building, not sitting in the bathroom huffing day-old farts through the toilet. Your mileage may vary.

CamCub3d
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later, Resident Evil (Series), George Romero's Dead series, Zombi, Re-Animator, Biohazard, The Crazies, Zombieland.... too many to list

Post by CamCub3d » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:14 pm

That is true, but this is all i have. I have no bug out bag, nor really any plans.... I am very conscious about going into bigger cities in any disaster. I have two major highways within 30 miles of me, and a major route (Illinois Route 1) going almost through my door step. Any ideas for a cheap and effective BOB?
"But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you." Valerie's Autobiography from "V for Vendetta"

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Bug in is the best plan but we all know about plans.have a back up ready with a well known destination. Most major disasters come from known dangers that no one expects will happen.check around your small town and work out worse case scenarios. River flooding, earth quake, 10 feet of snow or whatever. What its the best response to each disaster? sort term plan vs long term situations. At least in a small town it is more likely that many will band together for every ones benefit as most people are not complete strangers.
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:19 pm

CamCub3d wrote:That is true, but this is all i have. I have no bug out bag, nor really any plans.... I am very conscious about going into bigger cities in any disaster. I have two major highways within 30 miles of me, and a major route (Illinois Route 1) going almost through my door step. Any ideas for a cheap and effective BOB?
If you check out the bug out gear sub-forum, it has several thread devoted to building BOBs, from bare bones cheap to Gucci'd out.

CamCub3d

Post by CamCub3d » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Nutpantz wrote:Bug in is the best plan but we all know about plans.have a back up ready with a well known destination. Most major disasters come from known dangers that no one expects will happen.check around your small town and work out worse case scenarios. River flooding, earth quake, 10 feet of snow or whatever. What its the best response to each disaster? sort term plan vs long term situations. At least in a small town it is more likely that many will band together for every ones benefit as most people are not complete strangers.
Worse case scenario for my town is either a tornado or a fire (had a major fire on valentines day 2004, which took out about a block and a half of shops and residences)

As for the banding together, I dont know if that is possible, 23% of the pop. is drug users and most are religious zealots (imo). They wouldnt pee on you if you were on fire.

Doc Torr wrote:
CamCub3d wrote:That is true, but this is all i have. I have no bug out bag, nor really any plans.... I am very conscious about going into bigger cities in any disaster. I have two major highways within 30 miles of me, and a major route (Illinois Route 1) going almost through my door step. Any ideas for a cheap and effective BOB?
If you check out the bug out gear sub-forum, it has several thread devoted to building BOBs, from bare bones cheap to Gucci'd out.
I will have to check it out! I need something cheap to help me out

SoldierFerox

Post by SoldierFerox » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:31 pm

CamCub3d wrote: As for the banding together, I dont know if that is possible, 23% of the pop. is drug users and most are religious zealots (imo). They wouldnt pee on you if you were on fire.

Get out while you still have sanity.

Ferox
Ferox; Joined September 26th, 2011.
Jeriah wrote:My plan involves getting out of the building, not sitting in the bathroom huffing day-old farts through the toilet. Your mileage may vary.

CamCub3d

Post by CamCub3d » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:35 pm

I really wish I could, but with the health of my father and my attending local college I believe I'm stuck for awhile. :(

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:53 pm

Bob bags can be built by going to the second hand stores and garage sales.any back pack will do.better gear makes life easier and your pack lighter.but any gear is better than no gear.
all the religions should be out in in force to help their fellow man and turn their other cheek.with luck.
The junkies will remind you to lock your doors and secure your entry points. But if fire or tornado take out your apartment.what do you do? That is the plan you need to think about. Friends house? Relatives? whatever works
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

CamCub3d

Post by CamCub3d » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 pm

That's the thing that gets me... I don't know where to go in a tornado ( not to sound childish or anything) but being on the second floor and everything really my only option is the bathroom since it is in the center of the complex. As for a fire I won't mind that drop but I just wish I had a better plan

Munich
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, shaun of the dead,

Post by Munich » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 am

I live in a small town in the NW. I personally believe that I would bug in, only after some impromptu modifications to the house.
Lots of windows= Stupid house design imho.
Other than that I think small towns are great. Local resources, usually private wells, and lots of predictability as a result of commonly trafficked areas.
-Munich
"A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality."
Winston Churchill

Ramen
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of the Dead (1978)
Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Post by Ramen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:31 am

In a tornado you need to get to a safe place if there is a basement or underground area go there if not get on the ground floor in a place like a well built hallway or any interior space.

If you are outside or don't have a safe interior space on ground floor to hide in find the lowest point you can get to like a ditch or depression, lie flat, and ride it out.

In either case try to protect your head from debris and stay away from glass.

The same goes for vehicles they do not offer protection from a tornado get out and get low.

I happen to live in a mobile home sooooooo if a tornado comes and hits it there's not much choice for me but to bug out with whatever I can scrounge.

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:10 am

CamCub3d wrote:Im not sure if this is where this post belongs, but anyway...

I live in a small town (pop. around 1000), and was just wondering what would be better. To bug out or just to stay in place?
I live in a slightly larger small town (pop 7,000) and my first choice would be to bug in. This is where all my stuff is. :mrgreen:
I live in a small apartment on the second floor of a tv repair shop with only one entrance/exit (a set of stairs leading outside) There is dead bolts on the stair doors and on my apartment door. I have enough food for about a week or so, and about 20 gallons of water saved up. What would you all do?
I'd stock up on more food and water, seriously, unless you have a ready alternative source of good water close by.

Hunkabilly
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night Of The Living Dead, Original Dawn Of The Dead.

Post by Hunkabilly » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Depending on the situation, personally, I would bug in for as long as possible. My small town is a population of 400 and has plenty of resources such as wild game, access to a major highway and several back roads if the SHTF. There is also a large lake not too far from here where more resources are. I have a BOB bag for every one of my family members and carry an EDC bag everywhere I go. I am lucky enough to have some training because I just quit being an armored car messenger and went all my childhood through scouts and have many survival minded redneck friends.
Complacency Kills.

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Onthe part of not knowing where to go for a tornado--Just go to the cop shop and ask.
A BOB can start very simple. We have a whole section in the forums devoted to it. Dont worry if the ZPAW starts tommorrow you will know about it first here. :mrgreen:
if all else fails, accelerate!
KC9UMT

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:10 pm

CamCub3d wrote:...I have no bug out bag, nor really any plans....
Even if you do not have a BOL in mind and prepped, it is still important to have a Bug Out Bag. Even if you will be bugging out to a hotel or some sort of camp, you do not wanna leave your home empty handed. You need copies of your documents, food & water, some tools, extra clothes, some sort of shelter in case if you are forced to sleep outside for a day or two. You need something.

There is a nice "show off" thread where you can see other people BOBs: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=4103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definatelly visit this thread: ZS Presents: How to Build Your Bug Out Bag (B.O.B.)
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

CamCub3d

Post by CamCub3d » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 pm

I finally made a small B.O.B..

water:
Water purification tablets
water bottle

food:
granola bars (around 100)
beef cubes

first aid:
simple first aid kit
(bandages, ointments, tylenol, etc)

tools:
wrenches
screwdrivers (various)
flashlight
matches
lighters
gloves

clothes:
4 boxers
4 socks
3 tees
2 pants
1 shorts

Winter jacket

wind breaker

balaclava

Personal hygiene:
soap
tp
deodorant
shampoo
toothpaste
tooth brush

Weapons:
Police issue pepper spray
Machete
eskrima stick
tac-knife

thats all I have so far.... any thoughts?

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Is your water bottle plastic or stainless steel. Steel is a little heavier but you can boil in it.wrap some hay wire or any steel wire to hang it like a pot. wrap a lot of wire you can use for game snares or other things.Then you can mix up your food a bit with dry soup.don't forget soap to clean the bottle. Try to have things that have more than one use s often add possible. Ie Shaving mirror /signal mirror.
Add a couple of big big garbage bags.good for every thing from bedding to rain cover to sleeping bag.
Add rope.you can always use rope.

All spelling and grammar errors the fault of my phone.

CamCub3d

Post by CamCub3d » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Nutpantz wrote:Is your water bottle plastic or stainless steel. Steel is a little heavier but you can boil in it.wrap some hay wire or any steel wire to hang it like a pot. wrap a lot of wire you can use for game snares or other things.Then you can mix up your food a bit with dry soup.don't forget soap to clean the bottle. Try to have things that have more than one use s often add possible. Ie Shaving mirror /signal mirror.
Add a couple of big big garbage bags.good for every thing from bedding to rain cover to sleeping bag.

Its a plastic one (for now), and I didnt think about wire... will have to add that in.

I just put some dish soap in my kit, along with some dry soup and some rope.

I might pick up some paracord tomorrow and some heavy duty trash bags.

Thanks for the help!

Illini Warrior
BANNED

Post by Illini Warrior » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:16 pm

You better have a couple of big fire exstinguishers ...... Didn't half of Rossville burn down a few years ago?
Illini Warrior

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 pm

CamCub3d wrote:Im not sure if this is where this post belongs, but anyway...

I live in a small town (pop. around 1000), and was just wondering what would be better. To bug out or just to stay in place? I live in a small apartment on the second floor of a tv repair shop with only one entrance/exit (a set of stairs leading outside) There is dead bolts on the stair doors and on my apartment door. I have enough food for about a week or so, and about 20 gallons of water saved up. What would you all do?
psh 1000? your fine. only think you gotta watch out for are those grabloids....( tremors reference yes)
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:19 pm

CamCub3d wrote:
Nutpantz wrote:Is your water bottle plastic or stainless steel. Steel is a little heavier but you can boil in it.wrap some hay wire or any steel wire to hang it like a pot. wrap a lot of wire you can use for game snares or other things.Then you can mix up your food a bit with dry soup.don't forget soap to clean the bottle. Try to have things that have more than one use s often add possible. Ie Shaving mirror /signal mirror.

Its a plastic one (for now), and I didnt think about wire... will have to add that in.

I just put some dish soap in my kit, along with some dry soup and some rope.

I might pick up some paracord tomorrow and some heavy duty trash bags.

Thanks for the help!
This belongs in the rate my BOB thread.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:45 pm

CamCub3d wrote:I finally made a small B.O.B..

water:
Water purification tablets
water bottle

food:
granola bars (around 100)
beef cubes
I would suggest to perhaps cut back a little on the granola bars (about 50 would be adequate I think) and trade in say tuna http://www.starkist.com/products/starki ... resh-pouch or spam in-a-pouch http://www.spam.com/Shop/ProductDetail. ... DAD62F8%7D, you need the fat and protein that those can provide which the granola are somewhat lacking. Consider also canned condensed soup; maybe not something you would keep in the BOB at all times but having a couple of them purposed so you may grab them and dump them in at your discretion would be handy.

Personally I like wasa crackers as a source of complex carbs and fiber, they are inexpensive, keep forever, sturdier and less crumbly than regular saltines, weight little and although they do not pack a ton of calories, a couple of them with some tuna, spam or deviled ham make a filling meal.

Code: Select all

http://www.wasa-usa.com/health-food.aspx

Many of us here also are huge advocates of peanut butter and if you look online there are vendors that carry it MRE style: Packed inside a mylar pouch, likewise for cheeze whiz. http://www.readydepot.com/servlet/the-2 ... ood/Detail

The boullion (not sure of spelling) are really good, you may want to add either a couple of Lipton tea bags or some instant coffee in small single serve pouches, like so: http://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-Clasico-I ... B003MQWNOA

As you read more about BOBs one thing that comes up every now and then how they should be modular: So that they are both easier to pack or to set up for a particular case or scenario.
Many ZSers run really fancy rigs that can be 'mission tailored' by adding or substracting MOLLE or ALICE surplus or designer pouches from any number of manufacturers. This is because, certain things you would be able to use during a summer bugout, like mosquito netting, bug repellant, sunblock, lightweight shorts/tops, would not apply to a winter one were you would need more insulation layers or wind and water proof clothing.
Using a couple of 1 to 2 gallon heavy duty freezer ziplock bags you can create a couple of 'modules' that would be more specific to a particular scenario or season, so that while your 'core' BOB would always be the same, you can have the specialty modules that can just be tossed in before you hit the road.

Good luck!
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Return to “What Would You Do?”